PDA

View Full Version : Area Code FRAUD/SCAM

Jim@BAWS
03-11-2008, 11:23 AM
It's confirmed through Snopes, and the attached link to AT&T is valid.... what on earth will they think of next?
> Thestuff below can be confirmed through

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/809.asp

>ABOUT AREA CODES
>
NOT BAWS actually received a call last week from the 809 area code. The woman said "Hey, this is Karen. Sorry Imissed you--get back to us quickly. I Have something important to tellyou." Then she repeated a phone number beginning with 809."We didn't respond".
>
>Then this week, we received the following e-mail:
>
>Subject: DON'T EVER DIAL AREA CODES 809, 284 AND 876.
>
>THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION PROVIDED TO US BY AT&T. DON'T EVERDIAL AREA CODE 809.
>
>This one is being distributed all over the US . This is pretty scary, especiallygiven the way they try to get you to call.
>Be sure you read this and pass it on.
>They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a familymember who has been ill or to tell you someone has been arrested, died,or to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc.
>In each case, you are told to call the 809 number rightaway. Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowinglyreturn these calls.
>
>If you call from the US, you will apparently be charged $2,425.00per minute.
>
>Or, you'll get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try tokeep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges. Unfortunately,when you get your phone bill, you'll often be charged more than $24,100.00.
>
>WHY IT WORKS:
>
>The 809 area code is located in the British VirginIslands (The Bahamas).
>The charges afterwards can become a real nightmare. That's because youdid actually make the call. If you complain, both your local phone companyand your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will mostlikely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreigncompany. You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues theyhave done nothing wrong.
>
>Please forward this entire message to your friends, family and colleaguesto help them become aware of this scam.
>
>Sandi Van Handel
>AT&T Field Service Manager
>(920)687-904
>Additional information on these area codes can be found from ATT at:
>http://www.consumer.att.com/consumertips/areacod
>
>
>
>"What you get by achieving your goals is not nearly as important aswhat you become by achieving your goals."
>
>Never miss a thing. MakeYahoo your homepage.
>
>
>No virus found in this incoming message.
>Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.17/1253 - Release Date: 1/31/20089:09 AM
>
>
>Need to know the score, the latestnews, or you need your HotmailŪ-get your "fix". Checkit out.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Delicious ideas to please the pickiest eaters.Watchthe video on AOL Living.
>
>
>_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _
>
>This e-mail message, including any attachments,
>is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain
>confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure,or
>distribution is strictly prohibited.
>
>If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the
>originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this
>e-mail message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.
>
>Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
>sender, except where the sender specifies and with authority,
>states them to be the views of Kysor//Warren.
>This electronic message contains information from MeadWestvaco Corporation or subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify MeadWestvaco immediately at postmaster@MeadWestvaco.com.

flipper
03-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the heads up Jim, good info. I've never herd anything like this.

atlfootr
03-11-2008, 11:55 AM
DON'T EVER DIAL AREA CODES 809, 284 AND 876.

If you call from the US, you will apparently be charged $2,425.00
per minute.

Or, you'll get a long recorded message.

The point is, they will try tokeep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges.

Unfortunately,when you get your phone bill, you'll often be charged more than $24,100.00.

Thanks Jimbo, I'll be sure to PIO 8p

KnoxX2
03-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks Jim!

I just sent out an e-mail to warn people.

D3skier
03-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the warning... just emailed family and friends the info

OhioProstar
03-11-2008, 12:54 PM
BVI is not in the Bahamas - HOAX

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoaxDetails.asp?HName=Area+Code+809+Hoax

Maristar210
03-11-2008, 12:56 PM
BVI is not in the Bahamas - HOAX

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoaxDetails.asp?HName=Area+Code+809+Hoax

Unless you're a Spartan then feel free to go ahead :D

LKNMC
03-11-2008, 01:24 PM
wow thanks for the waring

OhioProstar
03-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Unless you're a Spartan then feel free to go ahead :D
Look I, as many of you do, get all sorts of well intentioned emails that warn of everything from Bill Gates airlifting $100 bills directly to my house with every email I send... to roving bands of kidney thieves that leave me in a motel tub with bags full of ice. I just think it is good to at least Google the validity of these things before sending it on to my friends, family, and peers.

Hey Steve I keep looking for UofM on the bracket prediction pages...but have yet to see them pop up. Must be a bubble team. :)

JLeuck64
03-11-2008, 01:51 PM
To bad somebody couldn't figure out how to scam those scamers...

Maybe set it up so calling from a payphone would actually reverse the charges somehow...

Maristar210
03-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Look I, as many of you do, get all sorts of well intentioned emails that warn of everything from Bill Gates airlifting $100 bills directly to my house with every email I send... to roving bands of kidney thieves that leave me in a motel tub with bags full of ice. I just think it is good to at least Google the validity of these things before sending it on to my friends, family, and peers.

Hey Steve I keep looking for UofM on the bracket prediction pages...but have yet to see them pop up. Must be a bubble team. :)

Yeah no kidding - we suck at BB - I'll give you that but have you seen our chess team? they kick *** :D :D :D

LakePirate
03-11-2008, 10:59 PM
give me a day and i will check the validity of this person at att.

Sandi Van Handel
>AT&T Field Service Manager
>(920)687-904

atlfootr
03-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Hey Lake,

Easy up a bit on that oil, your starting to resemble this guy :D