PDA

View Full Version : tranny fluid pump

Gonzo
03-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I have been looking online for a drill pump to change the tranny fluid. The PO didnt change it so its been at least 4 yrs in there, if not longer.

Any recomendations? Should I get one of the ones from the hardware store? They use garden hoses but I could probably find a tapered adaptor or something.

thanks

ProStar Slalom
03-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Mine is just a cheap hand pump; plastic and about a foot long. $10-15 at an automotive store or maybe even Wal Mart. Works just fine to pull out 2 quarts once a year.

P.S.--it came with hoses that fit through the fill hole.

T Scott
03-11-2008, 10:35 AM
I have one that attaches to my cordless drill. Simply place the suction tube down the tranny dipstick and place the other end in a bucket pull the trigger on your drill and pump out that nasty fluid. Takes just a couple of minutes. You can find a drill pump at most any hardware store.

wats218
03-11-2008, 10:45 AM
I bought a drill pump from lowes...i think it was $8. Got the adaptors to a 1/4" suction tube and it works good.

Gonzo
03-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys, sounds like the way to go. Should I worry about replacing the fluid since it hasnt been changed in a while? I was thinking of doing a little at a time over the summer so I dont put new fluid on old seals all at once.

stuartmcnair
03-11-2008, 11:47 AM
I had a hand pump but I just found something I like a lot better. It is build more like a grease gun. Metal housing and pump mechanism. Will pull out exactly 1 quart at a time. Bought it at O'Reilly's auto parts.

flipper
03-11-2008, 11:47 AM
I got my drill pump from NAPA and love it

Bruce
03-11-2008, 01:36 PM
I bought a "Suck up" from Skidim. It works great! I stopped by their place when I was nearby. It is what they use in their shop. You can use it to not only do tranny but oil as well. Comes with two size hoses. Has big capacity. Few pumps and then just feed it in the hole and watch it work. I think it was $60 to 65. Don't remember for sure. Check them out on line.

Gonzo
03-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Should I worry about replacing the fluid since it hasnt been changed in a while? I was thinking of doing a little at a time over the summer so I dont put new fluid on old seals all at once.

Anybody have any advice about this.

trunderw
03-11-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm not sure i have valid advice, but I did that to my 87 prostar last year and I haven't had any problems yet :| knock on wood. But I could just be lucky at this point

manny34711
03-11-2008, 11:06 PM
I just bought an electric pump from bass pro shops for $20 bucks. Got it for the tranny/engine oil change. First time doing it in a boat.

manny34711
03-11-2008, 11:06 PM
I just bought an electric pump from bass pro shops for $20 bucks. Got it for the tranny/engine oil change. First time doing it in a boat.

fintek9
03-11-2008, 11:09 PM
I have one that attaches to my cordless drill. Simply place the suction tube down the tranny dipstick and place the other end in a bucket pull the trigger on your drill and pump out that nasty fluid. Takes just a couple of minutes. You can find a drill pump at most any hardware store.Ditto! Same here.