PDA

View Full Version : time to uncover the 1500HD myth

milkmania
03-11-2008, 07:33 AM
I thought it was like bigfoot or the loch ness monster....

but, it actually does exist:D32297

milkmania
03-11-2008, 07:36 AM
and the wildest part...............................

milkmania
03-11-2008, 07:39 AM
love the truck
love the stance
love the quadrasteer!!!
love the leather
love the memory heated seats.... they make my butt feel goooood! (that don't sound right):rolleyes:

hate the black color
hate the fact she's been ridden very hard and put up wet!!!:mad:

some people don't deserve nice things

Maristar210
03-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Ric will buy that underpowered POS.

Enjoy that quadrasteer I say. Yes it has issues. Clunk Clunk rattle rattle
spoken form a Sierra Denali owner with QS. Never again will I buy a high end truck. Too much **** can go wrong. Loving my hillbilly single cab 2500 GMC work truck to death. Should have done it two trucks ago...

You didn't ask me for my opinion Brian but I could not help but chime in.:o

Darkside closed?

milkmania
03-11-2008, 08:29 AM

spoken form a Sierra Denali owner with QS. Never again will I buy a high end truck. Too much **** can go wrong. Loving my hillbilly single cab 2500 GMC work truck to death. Should have done it two trucks ago...

Darkside closed?

test driving it, taking it back!

front end is falling out from under it.
my 95 & 97 suburbans are in better shape!
I live on a pretty rough county blacktop / chipped road.... drive 35 and 40 mph, and up to 55 mph at times..... this 1500HD could not be driven over 20!
thanks for your opinion;)

pic of passenger side CV boot

darkside down

Maristar210
03-11-2008, 08:35 AM
You are insightful my friend. Let some other sucker get that truck.

Darkside? bummer !!

Ric
03-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Good thread good thread, not gay at all.

Milk, how many miles are on that thing?

I didn't know the 1500hd was available in quadrasteer... You did find a rare animal.

Ok, here it comes:
I will drag steves cowboy caddilac, bri's supercrew AND Mag's f'd down the road against their will.

rholmes
03-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Was that a diesel or gas engine in thar?

Ric
03-11-2008, 09:04 AM
I dont think diesel was offered in 1500HD

rholmes
03-11-2008, 09:18 AM
I didn't think so either (at least, not until the end of this year), I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing out on something that was, like milkmania said, a mythical beast.

Maristar210
03-11-2008, 09:41 AM
It's a bastard child. It's got a powerstorke cough cough - LOL

On another note I was in a parking lot yesterday and here comes this jacked up quad cab Dodge diesel rattle trap. Guess what climbed out?

I guy about 5'2" tall with a mullet. Man did I laugh, he thought he was cooler than the bottom side of the pillow !!!

wakeX2wake
03-11-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm waiting on toyota to comeout with their deisel engine in the tundra... toyota is the best truck i've owned so far... i've had a dodge and a chevy and my new tundra has them beat by miles... after their gas burner has blown me away i can't wait to see what their deisel does

Maristar210
03-11-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm waiting on toyota to comeout with their deisel engine in the tundra... toyota is the best truck i've owned so far... i've had a dodge and a chevy and my new tundra has them beat by miles... after their gas burner has blown me away i can't wait to see what their deisel does

I think I just puked in my mouth a little :rolleyes:

ShamrockIV
03-11-2008, 10:44 AM
man love those swirl marks!!!!! never buy a black car or truck!!! JMHO!!

ShamrockIV
03-11-2008, 10:45 AM
how is that quadrasteer when backing trailer??

ShamrockIV
03-11-2008, 10:47 AM

i agree!! tundra over a gmc, chevy, ford or god help us a dodge??
but hey he is an auburn fan!!
powerstroke, duramax, and cummings are like a sore johnson!!
could that guy with the 1500hd perhaps have been playing around with badges??

u know "badges,we don't need no stinking badges!!!!!"

Maristar210
03-11-2008, 11:05 AM
That quadra steer is more show than go. You would never even notice it unless you are in a tight parking spot. People used to point at my wheels when I backed out of a parking spot but usually it was a Kmart parking lot. The truth is they didn't actually turn that much and as far as the wheels turning the same direction as the front during highway speeds I think that was a lotta crap because it still leaned the opposite direction no matter what.

As far as backing up a trailer it made me over compensate during back up initially but after I got used to it, I never noticed it.

I'll sum it up by saying it is no longer standard on the Sierra Denali, it's optional and by optional I would say they have XX number of these steering systems left and when they're gone they're gone. You don't see anyone else making this steering system and there is a reason, it's fluff....

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-11-2008, 11:09 AM

Darkside closed?

TRU DAT!

THere is a REASON that nobody tried 4 wheel steering 50 years ago. and a reason they cancelled it. Milk, the QS can be troublesome. we have seen some with issues that are hard to iron out.

Ric is probably, oh you know.

wakeX2wake
03-11-2008, 11:11 AM
apparently someone hasn't driven one... i was on my way to buy a 4dr HD 4x4 w/ the allison tranny and everything and i drove the tundra as a last minute thing and bought it the next day... smartest thing i've done since diesel is $3.75/gal here

ShamrockIV
03-11-2008, 11:22 AM
smartest thing i've done since diesel is $3.75/gal here

yeah but how much better mileage for the diesel and how much longer will it last?
tundras are nice i am just sold on american nameplates even though they are made in mexico and canada!!

flipper
03-11-2008, 11:29 AM
yeah but how much better mileage for the diesel and how much longer will it last?
tundras are nice i am just sold on american nameplates even though they are made in mexico and canada!!

Depends on how you treat them. Take care of them, most of the time the engine will out last the rest of the truck. I have a 1 ton dodge diesel dually, and love it. Before that, had a 2500 dodge diesel, 200,000 miles on it. I had to replace the injectors once, and one clutch in all that time. Still ran great, but traded it for an extended cab.

milkmania
03-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Good thread good thread, not gay at all.

Milk, how many miles are on that thing?

I didn't know the 1500hd was available in quadrasteer... You did find a rare animal.

111,000 miles
6.0 gasoline engine

I know it is a rare find and it just amazes me that someone would spend kind of money and treat such a good looking machine so poorly.:(
man, they spent some bucks!
I can get the vin, and have some of the dealership guys on here see if they can find any info.
something puzzling, my local Oklahoma guy bought it wholesale from Texas, but we found some old paperwork from Montana.
So, I'm thinking
1st. owner = Montana
2nd. owner = Texas
now it's for sale in Oklahoma:rolleyes:

ShamrockIV
03-11-2008, 11:56 AM
front end is falling out from under it.
my 95 & 97 suburbans are in better shape!
I live on a pretty rough county blacktop / chipped road.... drive 35 and 40 mph, and up to 55 mph at times..... this 1500HD could not be driven over 20!
thanks for your opinion;)

not much hd in this "hd" huh???/

milkmania
03-11-2008, 12:01 PM
not much hd in this "hd" huh???/
this baby's been abused... honestly I'm more confident with my 1/2 ton suburbans than this 1500HD.
tires getting very short on tread life, screw holes all through the interior, etc....
black paint very scratched.

poor upkeep is usually a good sign of poor engine maintanence and abuse.

not worth the $15,000 to me

wakeX2wake
03-11-2008, 12:04 PM

well my best friend just got rid of a 4Runner that had over 300k mi on it... and they weren't easy miles as he referred to it at his 4-wheeler w/ a heater... and on the mileage thing... i'm getting 16 mpg and i drive around in town mostly now where i was getting 19-20 on the highway w/ the 5.7 liter 380hp monstrosity of a motor... i also out ran my g/f 05 honda accord from 0-60 w/ my buddy driving it... diesel wouldn't get that kind of mileage but i do baby mine around a good bit but i don't like $70 fill-ups either... toyota tundra is the most American made truck on the road these days... and after working in the automotive industry for a short period of time for a tier 1 supplier to toyota i know why

milkmania
03-11-2008, 12:07 PM
how is that quadrasteer when backing trailer??

if you're asking me, I didn't even bother hooking up once traveled this rough road.
I had the full intention of hooking it up and pulling.... that's why I brought her home for the night.

Instead, I just petted my old suburban a little more and told her she was doing a great job;)

milkmania
03-11-2008, 12:14 PM
you Chevy guys can shed a little tear with me:(

http://www.therideinstyle.com/1500HD.jpg

Maristar210
03-11-2008, 12:20 PM
apparently someone hasn't driven one... i was on my way to buy a 4dr HD 4x4 w/ the allison tranny and everything and i drove the tundra as a last minute thing and bought it the next day... smartest thing i've done since diesel is $3.75/gal here

I have driven all of them and for the money they are overpriced, not to mention Japanese. I look at value and see none in Toyota. I am on my fourth GMC. Each time the time comes for a new one I drive all five and still go back to GMC. Hell I like the Nissan more than the Yota. Any by the way, dogdes and fords are way behind the others. Dodges interior looks like crap compared to the rest...

My GMC 2500 work truck with 4wd, air and CD can haul 11,000# and I paid $25,800 OTD. A similarly equiped version of a Toyota (if it were even made) would be priced higher without question.

Just my $.02. If Yota works for you then I'm cool with it, just not gonna drink the kool aid....

LKNMC
03-11-2008, 12:28 PM
nice looking truck to bad it is a mess

Chas
03-11-2008, 12:33 PM
How about arguing over diesel vs. gas a little?

I have owned three Chevy trucks - all went over 250,000 miles. Wait, two did make it to that point, the one I currently drive is over 100,000 and still drives like new. I plan on it going as far as it's brothers.

So - I get good mileage, better than I expect, pull heavy trailers full of spas for my business, and they last way longer than they should.

No, tell me why I want to spend the extra 4 or 5 grand to put a window-rattler in?

The new diesel engines - turbo charged etc - cost way more than that. So, if I spend 6 thou and save one thou in gas over the life of the thing, what's to commend the smoker?

I'm just askin' ....

BrianM
03-11-2008, 12:40 PM
That quadra steer is more show than go. You would never even notice it unless you are in a tight parking spot. People used to point at my wheels when I backed out of a parking spot but usually it was a Kmart parking lot. The truth is they didn't actually turn that much and as far as the wheels turning the same direction as the front during highway speeds I think that was a lotta crap because it still leaned the opposite direction no matter what.

As far as backing up a trailer it made me over compensate during back up initially but after I got used to it, I never noticed it.

I'll sum it up by saying it is no longer standard on the Sierra Denali, it's optional and by optional I would say they have XX number of these steering systems left and when they're gone they're gone. You don't see anyone else making this steering system and there is a reason, it's fluff....
I am 99.99% sure that as of '07 Quadrasteer is no longer available at all.

Maristar210
03-11-2008, 12:41 PM
I am 99.99% sure that as of '07 Quadrasteer is no longer available at all.

Must be they ran out :D

I did see it on a brocure but I don't know if it was an 07 or 09 ;)

milkmania
03-12-2008, 01:24 AM

I picked the kids up from school the day I brought it home....
I took them to school the next day.
I have this tricky tight intersection where I have to make a right turn, with a school bus coming out from the right side street.
meet two or three buses there everyday:rant:

I took it effortlessly with the quadrasteer. Not so much with the 95 suburban.

but, I have noticed that the 97 suburban has a much sharper turning radius than the 95

and the later models that I've driven will turn even sharper than the 97.

http://www.therideinstyle.com/school.jpg

milkmania
03-12-2008, 01:48 AM
there went another 24 minutes of my life I'll never get back:rolleyes:

uawaterskier
03-12-2008, 02:17 AM
i heard that quadrasteer is know as a "tech killer" apparently that spring in the rear is under some serious pressure.

ShamrockIV
03-12-2008, 07:57 AM
my favorite truck in my stable is a 95 chevy kings cab 2x4. it has 250k miles and all i have changed is heater core!!! runs better and strnger today than the day my dad drove it off the lot!! 350 woth posi rearend!!!! man it is a solid old truck. it is beat up buts runs like a scaulded dog!!

Ric
03-12-2008, 08:10 AM
apparently someone hasn't driven one... i was on my way to buy a 4dr HD 4x4 w/ the allison tranny and everything and i drove the tundra as a last minute thing and bought it the next day... smartest thing i've done since diesel is $3.75/gal here you're not comparing an HD 4x4 /allison to a toyota tundra, are you?

milkmania
03-12-2008, 08:12 AM
my favorite truck in my stable is a 95 chevy kings cab 2x4. it has 250k miles and all i have changed is heater core!!! runs better and strnger today than the day my dad drove it off the lot!! 350 woth posi rearend!!!! man it is a solid old truck. it is beat up buts runs like a scaulded dog!!
see, that's what I don't understand........
my 95 suburban will haul ***!
until I hook it up to the travel trailer, hook it up to the TT and it becomes the gutless wonder:o
159,000 miles
but,
my wife's 97 suburban will haul *** with TT:mad:
approx. 120,000 miles

is the difference the vortec engine?
I was talking to a local mechanic 2 days ago.... it seems I can buy a crate vortec motor, and use my intake on my 95....
Chevrolet didn't offer vortec in 1995

I'd rather have a newer truck, don't want payments.
but, my 95 suburban is solid, just having pulling issues

T Scott
03-12-2008, 08:16 AM
until I hook it up to the travel trailer, hook it up to the TT and it becomes the gutless wonder:o
159,000 miles
but,
approx. 120,000 miles

I was talking to a local mechanic 2 days ago.... it seems I can buy a crate vortec motor, and use my intake on my 95....

Do they both have the same rear end gears??

milkmania
03-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Do they both have the same rear end gears??
yes, both have 3.73

well, let me retract that..... the mechanic told me they'd both have 3.73

I have not run the numbers to make sure

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Milk, you clearly have a future in police report traffic accident diagramming.

Ric
03-12-2008, 08:37 AM
159,000 miles
but,
approx. 120,000 miles

I dont think its a bad idea milk. I think the vortec should have more torque than the 95 motor in addition to the fact that the vortech was totally different with roller rockers etc which may be allowing the motor to wear longer and hold compression better at high miles than your 95... Just a thought.

How much is the crate vortech and why would you want to sue the intake off the 95?

wakeX2wake
03-12-2008, 09:07 AM
you're not comparing an HD 4x4 /allison to a toyota tundra, are you?
well no they're different trucks... obviously... but for my needs the new tundra will pull an x2 as well as an HD and that tundra is much quicker and if i'm not mistaken has more hp than an hd not more low end torque but raw hp... and for driving everyday... i would not want to try to waggle a HD in and out of wal-mart/movie store/work parking lots all day

Ric
03-12-2008, 09:17 AM
well no they're different trucks... obviously... but for my needs the new tundra will pull an x2 as well as an HD and that tundra is much quicker and if i'm not mistaken has more hp than an hd not more low end torque but raw hp... and for driving everyday... i would not want to try to waggle a HD in and out of wal-mart/movie store/work parking lots all day ok I thought you were trying to say the tundra was stronger, more powerful, better for pulling, faster and a comparable hauler to an HD. whew.

if you want to zip in to walmart and the movie store, chivvy has a nice little grocery getter with good gas mileage for you too... The z71. It's no longer the horse it used to be:rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-12-2008, 09:22 AM
I think he said he pulls an X2 and a HD to the walmart with the tundra...:confused:

wakeX2wake
03-12-2008, 09:30 AM
I think he said he pulls an X2 and a HD to the walmart with the tundra...:confused:
you would be amazed at how many bags of groceries will fit in the pickel-fork bow of that thing... and its easier than getting them out of the backseat when you get home when you have a bow cushion

Workin' 4 Toys
03-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Milk....
http://www.duramaxsuburban.com/Duramax_Suburban/Home.html

milkmania
03-12-2008, 09:46 AM
How much is the crate vortech and why would you want to sue the intake off the 95?

well, the mechanic and I were kicking it around..... apparently he thinks the throttle body from the 95 is not the same as the newer throttle bodies..... I don't know without research

haven't researched a price as of yet, simply because I don't know which Vortec GM part numbers to look for.

milkmania
03-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Milk, you clearly have a future in police report traffic accident diagramming.

diagramming hell!

that's my map to school every morning.... I taped it to the back of the sun visor:cool:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Sounds like a set of 4.11s is in your future..

milkmania
03-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Milk....
http://www.duramaxsuburban.com/Duramax_Suburban/Home.html

omg, a quadrasteer diesel 3/4 ton SLT suburban!
19,000 miles.....are the rings seated? lol
where's my tissues, I got a mess to clean up:cool:

Ric
03-12-2008, 10:23 AM
well, the mechanic and I were kicking it around..... apparently he thinks the throttle body from the 95 is not the same as the newer throttle bodies..... I don't know without research

haven't researched a price as of yet, simply because I don't know which Vortec GM part numbers to look for.

Well, I dont know that one either but I believe that the composite intake introduced in 06 with the vortec was critical to the performance of the vortec. (not a motor expert)

Don't ask ump, he won't help you, even though he has this information at his fingertips.

Diesel
03-12-2008, 10:48 AM

He is an idiot....they are completely different engines. The 96 and later Vortecs are SFI while the 95 and earlier are TBI. Completely different torque and HP profiles. The TBI produces peak torque at a much lower RPM than the Vortecs so at highway speeds the Vortec will run away from the TBI while towing.

stuartmcnair
03-12-2008, 10:48 AM
IIRC, the 2010 Suburbans will be offered with the "Baby Duramax" in the half ton version.

My Expedition (105,000 miles) and my mom's 95 Suburban 4x4 (205,000 miles) will most likely relinquish their parking spots to one of those.

milkmania
03-12-2008, 10:54 AM
He is an idiot....they are completely different engines. The 96 and later Vortecs are SFI while the 95 and earlier are TBI. Completely different torque and HP profiles. The TBI produces peak torque at a much lower RPM than the Vortecs so at highway speeds the Vortec will run away from the TBI while towing.

well, in his defense.... he is actually a paint & body guy that does a lot of mechanic work with his dad.

you'll remember his dad's car a couple of years ago from one of my posts.......

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/frank_4.jpg

pram
03-12-2008, 11:52 AM

this confuses me, are you saying that a motor that produces peek torque at a lower RPM is not as good for towing as a motor that produces its peak torque at a higher RPM?

Does the TBI motor drop it's torque curve shortly after reaching it's peak? I always thought that the lower the RPM that your torque comes on the better???

Maristar210
03-12-2008, 11:56 AM

Diesel might be the only one on this whole board who is more abrasive than me :D

ShamrockIV
03-12-2008, 12:00 PM
u go diesel!!!!!
i will add u to my "winning friends and influencing people" tour!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-12-2008, 12:37 PM
omg, a quadrasteer diesel 3/4 ton SLT suburban!
19,000 miles.....are the rings seated? lol
where's my tissues, I got a mess to clean up:cool:
Yup, it's an option for you.
Ask if they will convert a 95..;)

milkmania
03-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Yup, it's an option for you.
heck, he's gonna want $54,000 for that thing! <-------my estimate

6ballsisall
03-12-2008, 01:29 PM
TRU DAT!

THere is a REASON that nobody tried 4 wheel steering 50 years ago. and a reason they cancelled it. Milk, the QS can be troublesome. we have seen some with issues that are hard to iron out.

Ric is probably, oh you know.

Stoned?????? :confused: :confused: 8p

Diesel
03-12-2008, 03:42 PM
this confuses me, are you saying that a motor that produces peek torque at a lower RPM is not as good for towing as a motor that produces its peak torque at a higher RPM?

Does the TBI motor drop it's torque curve shortly after reaching it's peak? I always thought that the lower the RPM that your torque comes on the better???

Depends upon weather you need the power to get it moving or keep it moving. I've owned them both, the TBI pulled hard off the line but ran out of steam around 3K rpms at hwy speed. The 5.7 Votecs feel a bit sluggish from a stop but pull strong once you hit 3k RPMs once at hwy speeds.

milkmania
03-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Depends upon weather you need the power to get it moving or keep it moving. I've owned them both, the TBI pulled hard off the line but ran out of steam around 3K rpms at hwy speed. The 5.7 Votecs feel a bit sluggish from a stop but pull strong once you hit 3k RPMs once at hwy speeds.

gotta be in tulsa all this weekend, how bout you come on out to the ballfield.... if you get the chance.

actually, its in Bixby

brand new sports complex from what I hear
http://www.neousssabaseball.com/

Bentley Sports Complex - 148th & Memorial (Bixby) From the Creek Turnpike, take the Memorial exit and go south 6 miles to 148th Street. Turn left and go 2 blocks to the complex entrance. Turn left and follow the road around to the fields.