PDA

View Full Version : Is my wife right I should skip on this XStar?

dapicatti
03-10-2008, 11:42 PM
I had a Manager from an online repo auction company call me regarding leasing some of our company's property. He said he needed a couple of acres to keep his product before it went to auction. The guy told me to check out his company online to see what it is all about.

I checked it out and found a bunch of beat up cars and trucks. I went to the watercraft section and much to my surprise I found an 06 XStar. I tell my wife it would be a great buy for the right price. She thinks it is too heavily damaged and would never be right even after repair.

Caution, some of the pictures you are about to see are explicit and may be disturbing to some viewers. I would sure like to know how the knucklehead did all this damage - anyone know this guy?

Is it worth buying? If so, how much? Scroll down the page to see it.

http://www.crankyape.com/default.asp?pg=DisItems&Cat=5

PendO
03-10-2008, 11:55 PM
yours, like mine, is always right ... even if she is wrong, she is right

that looks like a lot of fiberglass work (duh) ... I'd stay away.

erkoehler
03-10-2008, 11:56 PM
WOW, pretty surprised that was a total......However, you can't put a price on the loss of a limetime hull/gel coat warranty.

Under 20k....good deal. I would first get an estimate from a repair show to get the hull back to good condition.

dapicatti
03-10-2008, 11:57 PM
I can't quite figure out what they did to get that damage in exactly those spots......

fintek9
03-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Boy I would pass on this one myself, $16.5 With ALL that damage, That's a lot of damage to the bottom. Beauty of a boat but would be hard to get it "true" again if it got torked real hard to the side on impack. And that's hard for me to say cause I'll usually take on anything, Fiberglass not that much challange( depending on how much stress it caused and traveled!) but sure sounds like that boat is alot more then it sounds.

PendO
03-11-2008, 12:01 AM
and how can you trust the engine when you know how bad they wanted to trash the boat?

russlars
03-11-2008, 12:03 AM
All I can say, is I'm sure glad that it wasn't me driving it when it happened! I'm sure there were some choice words spoken:eek:
Pretty boat though!

dapicatti
03-11-2008, 12:06 AM
My wife worked for a Credit Union that did lots of financing, 98% of the time when "repo's" came in, they were trashed. Seems like people go out of their way when they know they are going to lose something to trash it. The few good people out there, would bring it back in good condition with some gas in the tank, the rest were usually garbage filled smelly vehicles.

So, when I told her it was a repo, she was pretty sure we should pass.

Ski Bum
03-11-2008, 12:23 AM
I would fly down and look at it. And take a guy that knows hull repairs. My sister did a number on one of my old boats 10 years ago. It looked about the same It cost $3000 to fix and could not tell any thing happended after the repairs. Or it could be junk a good glass guy could tell you.

erkoehler
03-11-2008, 12:26 AM
It is all about how extensive the cracking is. You can't see the small spider cracks, but they are probably there somewhere!

dapicatti
03-11-2008, 12:37 AM
The first thing my wife said was "think of the spider cracks...." looks like she was maybe somehow right. Darn.

uawaterskier
03-11-2008, 03:02 AM
that thing looks like it took a hell of an impact...i would pass myself. I just think you could find a lot nicer working functioning boat for the same amout of money you would have in that.

VTJC
03-11-2008, 03:39 AM
Looks very fixable, cheaper if engine doesn't have to come out, and running gear isn't to expensive.

H20skeefreek
03-11-2008, 07:24 AM
OK, I'm used to being the minority on here, and I'm usually pretty conservative on stuff like this. I don't see anything scary here. For 16.5, you can get a SWEET Xstar (for a wakeboard boat, you really should try a real sport though). With a good fiberglass guy, you'll be a couple more grand into it, but I see you EASILY getting about the door for 20-22k for an '06 Xstar......uh.....seems kinda like a no brainer to me, as long as the motor is good.

Maristar210
03-11-2008, 08:16 AM
"My dad's got a wicked set of tools..... We can fix it"

Said by Mr. Spicoli

In the interim, I would not even entertain buying that abused POS. The prop struck the hull. That impact is felt up to the crankshaft and that would be enough for me. The only way I would feel comfortable buying that boat is to completely rebuild the bottom end of that motor. When an airplane has a prop strike they ground it and make you rebuild the motor. While I understand the difference, floating unpowered in the water with a blown motor is not worth a discounted price. It appears some moron will be sucked into buying it above a reasonable number anyways since its at $16,500 currently.

My $.02

ridesdirt
03-11-2008, 09:23 AM
I am sure NADA retail is near 60K for a '06 X-Star. You need to do your homework but that could be a very good deal.

I did not see anything that said it was an insurance total loss. So is the title clean?

T Scott
03-11-2008, 10:10 AM
look at the fine print...."Reserve has not been met"

corey
03-11-2008, 10:11 AM
DO NOT BUY WITHOUT SEEING IN PERSON.

A customer of our bought an X-15 throught these guys based off of the online description. The boat had extensive cracks, which did not show up in the online pictures. The boat had obviously hit the dock and there was a section roughly 3" round where the gel coat was missing!!!

The worst part about this boat, which was originally from California, was that it was listed as "winterized". Someone did try to winterize it but they missed a knock sensor (block plug) which caused the block to crack internally.

Long story short this guy got what appeared to be a good deal, once all of the repair work is done he will have a nice used boat, to bad it will cost him the same as a nice NEW boat.

That being said, I'm sure there are some nice boats that can be had for a good deal, but inspect the boat personally to avoid getting a big pile of problems.

LKNMC
03-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Man this thing went through a rock garden take your money and run

bobx1
03-11-2008, 12:46 PM
This may not be your choice for a personal boat BUT could be a very good money making opportunity if you have time. For $16.5K, you could part that thing out and make some good $$$.

Trailer, Windsheild, parts of engine, parts of stereo, parts or all of ballast, some of the seat cushions, etc....

sand2snow22
03-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Trailer, Windsheild, parts of engine, parts of stereo, parts or all of ballast, some of the seat cushions, etc....

If the engine, tranny are still good?

russlars
03-11-2008, 01:06 PM
One real strong point against buying is that the wife doesn't think it is a good idea. In our household, if momma aint happy, aint nobody happy! In you fix it up and things go perfect, you might pull it off, but if it tuns into more than expected (which it could quite easily) you will be on your own so to speak and that may come back to haunt you for years to come! (the voice of experience speaking here):D

ridesdirt
03-11-2008, 04:07 PM
One real strong point against buying is that the wife doesn't think it is a good idea. In our household, if momma aint happy, aint nobody happy! In you fix it up and things go perfect, you might pull it off, but if it tuns into more than expected (which it could quite easily) you will be on your own so to speak and that may come back to haunt you for years to come! (the voice of experience speaking here):D

Sir, you are a wise man.

Lennyp04
03-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Well I was reading that description....I dont like when there are numerous holes in the boat. That has to affect the wakeboard wake

Hrkdrivr
03-12-2008, 11:23 AM
they said they had a key made but the motor wouldn't turn over...could be they bent more than just the prop shaft. Like Maristar210 said, there could be way more damage to the engine than meets the eye, and a new motor won't be cheap.

jkski
03-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Not sure if this is even a possibility but it might be worth looking into:

If you could buy it for the right price would MasterCraft consider making the neccessary repairs, with you paying them of course, in return for a warranty?
MC probably does not offer such a service, but in the event they do, you may find that you get that boat cheap and have it back to factory specs.

kycat2007
03-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Will they tell you what the reserve is? I think they want alot more than most of us would give. 15 or 20 could be a deal but 40-50 is not.

Rich_G
03-12-2008, 02:02 PM
In Post #1 on this thread you said the manager contacted you about leasing some of your land to store auction items.

You may be able to barter the use of the land for a negotiated amount off the price of the boat. This would not show up as taxable income, plus you get the boat for less, and pay lower sales tax. If you have access to the damaged boat, you can have it fully checked out by a mechanic and by a fiberglass guy.

In other words, you might be in a position to strike a private deal with these guys rather than going thru the open auction process. There's a good chance this boat won't go in the first round, so take your time. It might be worth investing some time and a couple hundred to check it out. Approach it as a business deal..., set a limit and take all the emotion out of it.

teeter
03-12-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm trying to figure out what would do that damage. You think it fell off the trailer?

endl
03-12-2008, 02:23 PM
I saw a BU after a guy hit a rock jetty/dyke in the AR river. It tore the tracking fins and the rudder completely off the boat. The prop looked about the same and there was a hole where the drive shaft came through. The BU still ran...This boat looks in much better shape than the BU did.

east tx skier
03-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Nice 1 blade prop!

From what you can see, total bottom job. More than gel coat damage as the glass was pretty disturbed (for lack of a better word). Having personall (accidentilly) driven a prop into the gel coat of a MC, I can say that in my case, it was simply an issue of alignment. With this being a v-drive, I don't know how extensive the damage up the chain would be.

If the cracking isn't present (it most certainly would be), I'd guess that that job could be done for $6K. Holiday Inn Express math right there.

fintek9
03-12-2008, 03:18 PM
One real strong point against buying is that the wife doesn't think it is a good idea. In our household, if momma aint happy, aint nobody happy! In you fix it up and things go perfect, you might pull it off, but if it tuns into more than expected (which it could quite easily) you will be on your own so to speak and that may come back to haunt you for years to come! (the voice of experience speaking here):DVery true, Not only do they have control over "one big thing":rolleyes: :cool:... But she would have the 3 big words to hold over you if it didn't work out......... YOU NEVER LISTEN!!:D

betsy&david Harrison
03-12-2008, 03:35 PM
IMO.... don't touch it with a 10ft pole...

wakeX2wake
03-12-2008, 03:38 PM
IMO.... don't touch it with a 10ft pole...
sounds like something i heard about girls from mt hulio

JR34
03-13-2008, 02:32 PM
checked today and current bid is up to $29,000. So much for the $20K X Star......

wakeX2wake
03-13-2008, 02:49 PM
sounds like somebody knows what they're looking at our they're going to get BURNED

sand2snow22
03-13-2008, 04:06 PM
sounds like somebody knows what they're looking at our they're going to get BURNED

Or a dealer knowing how much it will cost to fix. I've seen a dealer fix a X-45 that was hit by a jet ski, cracked most of the port side of the boat. Old owner got the insurance money, traded it in, dealer fixed and sold it as a used X-45. I see a need for boatfaxx!

wakeX2wake
03-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Or a dealer knowing how much it will cost to fix. I've seen a dealer fix a X-45 that was hit by a jet ski, cracked most of the port side of the boat. Old owner got the insurance money, traded it in, dealer fixed and sold it as a used X-45. I see a need for boatfaxx!
no joke!!!... those things cost too much to get one that been boat bondo-ed

dapicatti
03-15-2008, 01:37 AM
I agree. It would be really nice to know if your boat had " a little damage problem" prior to purchasing used. Unless you are buying from a regular here on the board, its hard to feel secure.

By the way, I decided to pass- wife is ultimately happier.

Thanks everyone for your input.

JDK
03-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Anyone know how much this boat finally sold for???
I can't see any 'previous auctions' section on this site.