PDA

View Full Version : Ballast tanks don't fill

chashart2000
03-10-2008, 03:59 PM
I have a recently purchased 2005 X10. We took it out for the first time yesterday and all was well except for the ballast tanks won't fill. You can hear the pumps running.
I found a tube under the forward tank access cover that was not connected. It was drawing in air. My guess is that tube needs to make contact with water somehow, but I have no idea where the connection should be. Please help!

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-10-2008, 04:17 PM
There is probably a ball valve at the intake of the ballast system. Make sure it's open. Check the pump impellers as they have been known to fail.
Please explain this in more detail:
"I found a tube under the forward tank access cover that was not connected. It was drawing in air."

jkski
03-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Chances are that tube you found goes to the tank and should be conected to a fitting on the tank. With that said, you should check to make sure that the shut-off valves are open in the back by the pumps, so that water can come in to the system from the lake. The other issue may be that your impellers are fried, as this was an issue with some of them. From what I know, and someone else can back this up, MC has replaced a lot of impellers and I believe they suggested a different type which holds up better.
If you find that the impellers are bad, once you replace them, you may want to consider thi tip for future use: After each time you empty your tanks, briefly turn the pump switches to "fill". and then turn them off quickly. What this does, is gets the blades of the impeler going in the correct direction for the next time you fill. Why is this important...well typically the pump is dry whe you go to fill, and what kills an impeller faster than anthing is that if it spins in a dry environment, so at least you will have the blades facing the correct way when you hit the switch! (Hope that makes sense.)

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-10-2008, 04:34 PM
jski...the "forward tank access cover" has me thinking the ski locker ballast, but mine was a ballast sac on our '02 X10. That's why I need clarification on that part.

Good info on the rest of your stuff.

jkski
03-10-2008, 04:40 PM
P-hat,
On the 05, you also have a ballast sac, however, doesn't it have 2 spots where hoses connect? One hose is for filling and the other for emptying? I think that MC was having an issue with these fittings at one time and it's possible that one may have simply popped off.

Jerseydave
03-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Just an FYI, change to the "yellow" impellers. Those are the updated ones. Make sure all your hoses are connected before you open the ball valve at the ballast intake hose. If not, you may start filling your boat with water. (don't sink it!) :eek:

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Make sure all your hoses are connected before you open the ball valve at the ballast intake hose. If not, you may start filling your boat with water. (don't sink it!) :eek:

Agreed! If hoses are unconnected you need to find out where they connect before trying to fill your ballast! Take a picture and post it or send it and I'll try to help you out.

Lennyp04
03-10-2008, 09:37 PM
After each time you empty your tanks, briefly turn the pump switches to "fill". and then turn them off quickly. What this does, is gets the blades of the impeler going in the correct direction for the next time you fill. Why is this important...well typically the pump is dry whe you go to fill, and what kills an impeller faster than anthing is that if it spins in a dry environment, so at least you will have the blades facing the correct way when you hit the switch! (Hope that makes sense.)

Thanks for that. Never did that but will start when the boat goes in!

chashart2000
03-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks. I found the ball valve and it was closed. I ballast system had been winterized before I bought it. I'm still not sure what is going on with the open tube. I'll take a pic to show you what I'm talking about.

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks. I found the ball valve and it was closed. I ballast system had been winterized before I bought it. I'm still not sure what is going on with the open tube. I'll take a pic to show you what I'm talking about.
Good. Step 1 is done, but please do send the pic. I wouldn't fire the system up w/o knowing where that disconnected tube goes.

ShamrockIV
03-11-2008, 10:50 AM
did u buy it from dealer??? if so call them!!!!

kman
03-11-2008, 11:17 AM
I have an 05 X10 and the center sac has one fill/empty line that should connect to the bottom of the sac and then there are two overflow lines that are connected to the top of the sac - one at each end.

Hope this helps.

chashart2000
03-11-2008, 01:44 PM
The forward ballast sac has two connections (I checked last night) and they both have hoses connected to them. There is a third hose in the same compartment which is not connected to anything. I'll take pics and send tonight. Thanks for all the help.

chashart2000
03-11-2008, 01:46 PM
I checked the forward sac, but only saw two connection points. I'll check again tonight. Thanks kman.

chashart2000
03-12-2008, 07:23 PM
jkski-I checked the forward ballast and it did have two connections at the top and one at the bottom. The loose hose that was unconnected does not reach up to the top so I'm going to have to figure that one out. Thanks for the help.