PDA

View Full Version : 80 s&s

jkc
03-29-2005, 01:22 PM
I have never posted before, but wanted to post some pics of my current project. I just got it all torn apart and started cutting new stringers. What a pain in the neck. Has anybody tackled a project like this before and have any advice? Thanks, Jon

ski_king
03-29-2005, 01:31 PM
I never tackeled a project like that before.

Looks like you got the hard part done. Great project, Good luck and keep us posted with photos.

east tx skier
03-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Welcome. Keep those pictures coming. Good luck.

BriEOD
03-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Welcome aboard. Wow, big project to tackle. It looks good, please keep us updated. The board loves projects and lots of pictures!!

jsonova99
03-29-2005, 02:09 PM
I have never posted before, but wanted to post some pics of my current project. I just got it all torn apart and started cutting new stringers. What a pain in the neck. Has anybody tackled a project like this before and have any advice? Thanks, Jon

What did you do to clean up the fiberglass inside of the hull? I always thought about taking on one of these older ones as a project.

sfitzgerald351
03-29-2005, 02:13 PM
That looks like regular wood for the stringers? Do you treat the wood with anything to help prevent it from rotting?

Neat project. Keep us up to date!

JEREMY79
03-30-2005, 11:30 AM
I did a 79 just like what you are doing. You have the hard part done. Well, except for that it's getting warm and you dont have a floor. Just be sure get them fiberglassed well. That is where your waterproofing and strength comes in.

jkc
03-30-2005, 05:06 PM
I am having a hard time matching the bottom angle cut of the stringer to the changing angle of the hull. I think it will just take some time. Jeremy79 how close did you get yours to match? I am going to treat the wood with something to help waterproof it and then totally encapsulate them in fiberglass. From what I have read epoxy resin seems to be the way to go. I am also unsure of how to line up the motor to the driveshaft. The mounts have adjustment vertically, but not horizontaly. I hope that make sense. It seems the alignment tolerance is pretty tight. I have no existing mount holes in the stringers to use. Will post more pics soon

JEREMY79
03-31-2005, 01:20 AM
It took some time but I got mine to match right on. The epoxy resin is the way to go. I cant help you on the motor as I had my uncle put mine back in. He had already done his. Experience worked for me.

chico
04-02-2005, 04:03 PM
On my 78 I used black high solids epoxy.When it dries it looks like gel coat.

Nova Scotia Skier
04-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Looks like a nice job so far...and welcome. :)

rodltg2
04-02-2005, 06:29 PM
and i thought my tower, bimini and stereo project was a big ordeal!

leistone4342
04-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Never done it myself. However, I do know that when you lay up the glass over the new rails you should apply resin, etc. heavily where it meets the hull. The time I've seen it done the guy used a plastic spoon to tool the corners out.

H20skeefreek
04-02-2005, 08:17 PM
in my opinion, if you have the floor up anyway, whether or not you are a wakeboarder or not, i'd build water ballast tanks into the floor since you have it up already. RDS manufacturing (available through west marine) could make you aluminum tanks or someone like todd manufacturing could make you polyethelene tanks or you could have rubber flexible water tanks made. I don't think it'd cost a LOT more, and if you used sealed hard plastic tanks, you could skip the floatation foam (which is very expensive) Just an idea.

sfitzgerald351
04-04-2005, 01:30 AM
I'd be hesitant to throw a lot of weight into at a 1980. They ride low to the water as is (I've got 6" of freeboard on my 84 and I think the 78-82's are even lower). I'd be worried about swamping easily. I've taken on water just sitting while changing a skier from the wake from a wakeboard boat going by.

H20skeefreek
04-04-2005, 08:21 AM
only 6" of freeboard? really? I've got more than that, never measured it though. I realize you have the heavier 454, but that seems awful low. Ok, so maybe you don't fill the WHOLE thing with tanks, but i'd still throw a few in so that if you ever wanted ballast, the phat sacks wouldn't be filling up then interior. It's not like there is a lot of room in these boats.

sfitzgerald351
04-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Okay, I guess it's more like 12" unloaded. Here's a picture at the end of the day with a near empty tank and nobody in it. I guess what I'm thinking of is when you're changing a skier and everyone is in the back or on the port side. On my boat that dunks the platform a good 4" inches underwater and I've taken water in over the side more than a few times from other boats' wakes.