PDA

View Full Version : Anyone enjoy winter as/more than summer?

H20ski Dude
03-10-2008, 12:55 AM
I love winter, and when it snows like it has this year I completely forget about summer and waterskiing.

I'm a downhill skier and avid sledder too..

my problem is I can't ski where I live... at least not REALLY ski (ontario)

the sledding is the best, if not the greatest flatland sledding in the world at my doorstep (cottage) which is where I waterski too in the summer..

QUESTION:

anyone from BC or Alberta do all 3 in the mountains? SKI, SLED, WATERSKI???

my ultimate lifestyle :cool:

TMCNo1
03-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Oh heck yea, I love Winter, can't ya tell! I'm so ready for Spring and warm weather, I could chew down a giant redwood tree in 3 minutes.
I'm taking the weedeater to (5) 5' diameter Pompas grass plants and 100' of monkey grass later today, poor, poor plants!

SteveO
03-10-2008, 10:58 AM
I love winter riding as you don't have to worry about Wally's and all the other lake idiots. If it could only stay low 60's in TX year round it would be the ultimate riding. Give me a lake mid day in March over June or July any day.

wakeX2wake
03-10-2008, 11:02 AM
I like the winter for the fact that I get a chance to rest up and heal up... I'm all about a good ski trip... not too many big ski resorts in Alabama (none as a matter of fact)... i've been out West skiing every yr but this one for the past 11 yrs... but I like to be really cold for that few weeks and then i'm ready to have the board/ski back on and the boat fired up

coz
03-10-2008, 11:33 AM
I love winter, and when it snows like it has this year I completely forget about summer and waterskiing.

the sledding is the best, if not the greatest flatland sledding in the world at my doorstep (cottage) which is where I waterski too in the summer..

QUESTION:

my ultimate lifestyle :cool:

I hate the cold with a passion! I grew up in socal and when I was in the Army stationed in Germany in the early 80's I created such a hatred for cold & snow that I think I have taken my kids to play in the snow one time in their lives and they are high school age now. BTW does this qualify me for the bad dad post? I live in AZ now and it does get cold but when it's hot it's hot baby! and that's what I love. When all the kids are outa the house and on their own you'll find me posting from the Big Island, Hawaii where it's always warm. I'm a winter hater summer lover, BRING IT ON! :D JUST SAY NO TO SNOW! :D

h2oskifreak
03-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Long hard winter in Colorado. Bring on the Summer.

H20ski Dude
03-10-2008, 01:12 PM
haha bunch of sunnysiders here!!!

I grew up in the cold so waterskiing in 45 degree water is nothing new, but our summers the water gets over 80!!!! and the winters it just dumps snow which I absolutely love!!!

nothing like carving turns at 60mph down a 60 degreee slope or boondocknig through 5feet of snow!!!!!!

I want to live somewhere that I can ski/sled/waterski over the year

I'm thinking BC.. just not sure where yet

TMCNo1
03-10-2008, 01:17 PM
haha bunch of sunnysiders here!!!

I grew up in the cold so waterskiing in 45 degree water is nothing new, but our summers the water gets over 80!!!! and the winters it just dumps snow which I absolutely love!!!

nothing like carving turns at 60mph down a 60 degreee slope or boondocknig through 5feet of snow!!!!!!

I want to live somewhere that I can ski/sled/waterski over the year

I'm thinking BC.. just not sure where yet

How did you get the boat to the top of the hill without tearing up a prop?:confused:

JKTX21
03-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Give me a lake mid day in March over June or July any day.

I agree. Won't be too much longer before I start getting after it.

6ballsisall
03-10-2008, 01:23 PM
I use to like winter alot when we lived in Colorado! (I snowskied nearly every weekend.) But now a days I could definetely live without the cold weather. As a matter of fact, I'd happily live south of Atlanta in order to get to a warmer/year round climate.

I do miss the 4 seasons colors though.......:(

erkoehler
03-10-2008, 01:27 PM
We've had a great winter here in N. IL and through Wisconsin. Put almost 1500 miles on my sleds. Awesome snow conditions all year!

One more snowmobile trip and I'll be ready to start using the boats!

beatle78
03-10-2008, 01:27 PM
3' of fresh powder riding in the glades at Killington, VT last weekend...... summer what?

came home and it was 65F at my house.... now I REALLY can't wait to get my ballast system installed and my boat in the water :)

pkskier
03-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Don't care for the winter or cold weather at all. Would rather live somewhere that I could waterski year round. Much prefer the upper 90's & 100's to anything below 70. I can always cool off, have a hard time staying warm when it is cold.

mig
03-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Maybe not as much as summer, but we don't have to fight rollers from other boats :) I posted a "MasterCraft fall&winter" video - ice crashes and all; http://media.putfile.com/waterski-winter-07-08

moleson10
03-10-2008, 04:15 PM
I love winter riding as you don't have to worry about Wally's and all the other lake idiots. If it could only stay low 60's in TX year round it would be the ultimate riding. Give me a lake mid day in March over June or July any day.

You should move to Washington State ;o)

Roonie's
03-10-2008, 04:19 PM
I am not from B.C. but love to do all three things ski, sled and water. I did a lot more snowmobiling this winter then skiing. I grew up downhill skiing and competed for many years. Then during the summer we would waterski and mtn bike. Now I surf and wakeboard summer and sled in winter with skiing mixed in.

ProTour X9
03-10-2008, 04:26 PM
A Winter lover here, the only thing that global warming concerns me about is being able to snowmobile. That being said, I am ready for summer.

Ric
03-10-2008, 06:31 PM

QUESTION:

my ultimate lifestyle :cool: only when the threads get wild like they are this week:rolleyes:

H20ski Dude
03-10-2008, 07:03 PM
How did you get the boat to the top of the hill without tearing up a prop?:confused:
lol put her on the back of the cat and haul a$$!!!

H20ski Dude
03-10-2008, 07:08 PM
A Winter lover here, the only thing that global warming concerns me about is being able to snowmobile. That being said, I am ready for summer.
yup, I'm getting ready for summer, but I can't stand that time in between waterski and the winter season

got 2100mi on the sled this year, first day out was Dec 1 and we never looked back other than 2 weeks in early January. sure been up and down though with rain and ice followed thank god, by some good snow.. seemed to happen every week for a while...

I am not from B.C. but love to do all three things ski, sled and water. I did a lot more snowmobiling this winter then skiing. I grew up downhill skiing and competed for many years. Then during the summer we would waterski and mtn bike. Now I surf and wakeboard summer and sled in winter with skiing mixed in.
Ive been sledding a lot more too, I also raced, but the skiing in Ontario blows... I can't get excited about it.. took a trip to Whistler a few weeks ago - now there's a spot to live!!!! 15 deg in squamish 20mi south and -5 at the top of the mountain

gwpowell
03-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Down here in sunny Queensland Australia it is beautiful. Water temp is 73 degrees. I took a couple of shots a few minutes ago to show you what were playing in.

TX.X-30 fan
03-10-2008, 07:13 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobx1
03-10-2008, 07:18 PM
We had this exact conversation a few weeks ago while coming back from snow skiing. Here in Louisiana, my family generally starts watersports by mid/late March and go until October.

The question we posed was "would you rather live in CO and ski 4 months a year and wait for water sports until May/June or would you rather travel and snow ski for a week then come back home.

The answer was unanimous - live in Louisiana and vacation in Colorado. Of course, I am the Daddy and I pay for the snow skiing trip.

H20ski Dude
03-10-2008, 07:25 PM
speaking of Aussie's..

why is all of Australia's youth working at Whistler? lol

its half Aussie's and half Ontarians there!!!!

brraaaaaap braaaaap!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
03-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Are snowmobiles just land waverunners, and as such that would make the rider what a land walley?? :confused: :confused:

H20ski Dude
03-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Are snowmobiles just land waverunners, and as such that would make the rider what a land walley?? :confused: :confused:
sleds are the top of the heap during the winter though.. they go where nothing else can or will.. you are probably thinking of ATV's :D

H20ski Dude
03-10-2008, 08:08 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t31/canadoo/IMG_0169.jpg
lets go skiing!!!

Michael Epp
03-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Just came back from the Shuswaps (south central BC) from a sledding trip. First time mountain sledding. It was awsome. Bought a property close to the lake (semi-lakefront is all we could afford) last spring. Boating in the summer; quadding in the fall; sledding and skiing/snowboarding in the winter....a year-round playground!!

erkoehler
03-10-2008, 09:01 PM

Nothing like a waverunner:mad:

erkoehler
03-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Just came back from the Shuswaps (south central BC) from a sledding trip. First time mountain sledding. It was awsome. Bought a property close to the lake (semi-lakefront is all we could afford) last spring. Boating in the summer; quadding in the fall; sledding and skiing/snowboarding in the winter....a year-round playground!!

Lakefront is a very expensive dream that I will at some point achieve! :)

beatle78
03-11-2008, 09:36 AM
lets go skiing!!!

Is that picture real? I LOVE IT!!!!

whirli
03-11-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm a winter lover. What types of sleds does everyone ride? I have a 04 rev 600h.o. and a 08 tnt.

Waterskipping season should start here within the next couple weeks, this is also the time of year the walters get active below the ice. Headed to the cabin this weekend to try and pull a few of those pigs through the ice.

Not to mension another couple of trips to big sky country to do some boarding.

Hollywood
03-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Absolutely no interest in winter. It does give me a chance to visit friends in FL and TX though.

H20ski Dude
03-11-2008, 09:42 PM
the picture is of me in feb 2006 on kushog lake entering st nora's lake in Haliburton Ontario Canada on a 02 mxz 800. I currently ride an 04 mxz 800ho that has been amazing this year

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t31/canadoo/DSC00319.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t31/canadoo/DSC00321.jpg

suedv
03-11-2008, 09:50 PM
NO, NO NO, and NO! I miss riding in the boat and working in my garden! I like COLOR not mud and dirty snow!

JohnE
03-11-2008, 09:50 PM
I hate winter at this point in my life. Mostly because if affects my industry, so to speak. If I can ever get that vacation house up north, I might change my mind.

suedv
03-13-2008, 12:15 AM
This is why I'm tired of this winter. I went to Muskegon State Park 3 days ago and could hardly find the road by the beach. The snow is starting to melt this week but we still have too much for my liking.

rhsprostar
03-13-2008, 12:52 AM
lets go skiing!!!

Kyle....don't let your wife or girlfriend see that pic!!
What happened to that sled? See a watery grave?!

erkoehler
03-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Absolutely no interest in winter. It does give me a chance to visit friends in FL and TX though.

And heavy drinking at the boat show :)

H20ski Dude
03-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Kyle....don't let your wife or girlfriend see that pic!!
What happened to that sled? See a watery grave?!haaha my girlfriend loves watching it.. I've put her on the shore to the left of the frame many times and run it.

what you dont see in that picture is 4 or 5 guys with a firecat on its side, pulling the water out... its driver was in his skivy's putting on his buddies gear.... it was COLD that day!! -25c. its only a few feet deep in that spot though.

I've never put one in myself... knock on wood. that sled was better on the water than my rev though and looked mint when I sold it.

wakeX2wake
03-13-2008, 10:05 AM
NO, NO NO, and NO! I miss riding in the boat and working in my garden! I like COLOR not mud and dirty snow!

sounds like somebody needs to move to a warmer climate...

which brings me to my next point... i am pumped about the number of MC owners that live in what would appear to be fairly cool parts of the country and world... i just never thought someone on Canada or Northern Michigan would have invested in such a nice boat when (under my assumptions) they wouldn't get but a few months use... that's awesome... i live in the South where it's we get a solid 6-8 months of good withstandable water time

H20ski Dude
03-13-2008, 10:20 AM
we run from mid may to mid october usually... I rode my sled from Dec 1 to...... still going. 5 months of skiing.... 3-4 months of sledding.. 3 months of down time to recoup some $$$$$$$$

if you saw the lakes we get to ruin, you wouldn't wonder why people spend so much $$$ on boats!! the only thing we're missing out on is Mountains.. :)

wakeX2wake
03-13-2008, 10:27 AM
see that's what i mean... there's more than a few people in the world that i'm sure love to be on the water but will not justify spending that kind of money for 5 months of good play time... again... i'm pumped you're out there

Hollywood
03-13-2008, 10:37 AM
And heavy drinking at the boat show :)

That's needed to make all the new boat prices easier on the eyes, kind of like fat chicks.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-13-2008, 10:53 AM
This thread is sick.

Ric, delete it.

yzwiley
03-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Yamahas, Rossignols, and MasterCrafts. Those three keep me occupied all year-round.

As far as I know I'm only on this planet once, so why not enjoy it? I moved to an area that offers great access to all three activities I enjoy; dirtbiking, snow skiing, and water skiing. I'm 30 minutes from incredible trail riding, 45 minutes to the lift, and ten minutes from the launch ramp.

One day I'll acheive my goal to do all three in one day. As of right now I've done the dirtbiking-water skiing and dirtbiking-snow skiing in one day. I've got a goal and couldn't be any happier to have such opportunities.

As far as the sledding goes; I've ridden them a few times and don't much care for them. Snowmobiles are like ill-handling quads; no real challenge at all.

H20ski Dude
03-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Yamahas, Rossignols, and MasterCrafts. Those three keep me occupied all year-round.

As far as I know I'm only on this planet once, so why not enjoy it? I moved to an area that offers great access to all three activities I enjoy; dirtbiking, snow skiing, and water skiing. I'm 30 minutes from incredible trail riding, 45 minutes to the lift, and ten minutes from the launch ramp.

One day I'll acheive my goal to do all three in one day. As of right now I've done the dirtbiking-water skiing and dirtbiking-snow skiing in one day. I've got a goal and couldn't be any happier to have such opportunities.

As far as the sledding goes; I've ridden them a few times and don't much care for them. Snowmobiles are like ill-handling quads; no real challenge at all.gotta love it!!! peeps in whistler can do all 3 in a day with the glacier open all year, and I suppose your close to tahoe??

lol but you haven't actually "ridden" a sled though or you wouldn't say that...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0coC6fBSx7c

one of my citiot friends said snowmobiling was a "lazy sport".. that was before I took him out and he actually pissed his pants.. 0-80 mph in less than 4 seconds will doo that.... I'll hit 95 in under 10 in the 1/4 mile, and I'm haliburton stock..trail sled.. the tuned trail class drag sleds will hit over 130mph in 2000feet... I saw a turbo yamaha hit 170mph in 2000 feet...

I doo see the grandpas on the trails around here and they love cruising around and they aren't putting out much effort, but the same can be said for waterskiing.. some people push it and others just hang back.

if you rode with me and tried to keep up you'd be hung up in a tree or twisting the water out of your longjohns!!! lol

and try taking a quad into the alpine!!! or over 50mph in the snow :)

yzwiley
03-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Sorry H20ski Dude, but I myself find nothing challenging in going fast in a straight-line. Anyone can "pin-it". As far as the backwoods ventures go on a sled, yeah, that's fun, but those things still handle like crappola. It's most likely that the reason I haven't taken to those is because they just don't handle like my Yamahas, Rossignols, and HOs.

IMO, speed is always better when you're layin' it over.

Jonathan94
03-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Love the summer for the skiing and love the winter for the skiing. Used to do alot of downhill at Banff and Jasper when younger, now do alot of cross-country - coaching and the kids racing. Spring and fall are good for transition and trying to get things done around the house (and lacrosse season is starting soon!)

With the snow disappearing here quickly and the boat show this weekend... I think it is time to start thinking summer! Unfortunately, I have 60 sheets of drywall in the basement that have to get hung first - they have been there since November - oh well.

wakeX2wake
03-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Love the summer for the skiing and love the winter for the skiing. Used to do alot of downhill at Banff and Jasper when younger, now do alot of cross-country - coaching and the kids racing. Spring and fall are good for transition and trying to get things done around the house (and lacrosse season is starting soon!)

With the snow disappearing here quickly and the boat show this weekend... I think it is time to start thinking summer! Unfortunately, I have 60 sheets of drywall in the basement that have to get hung first - they have been there since November - oh well.
yeah you have fun w/ that drywall... there ain't enough beer in this world to get me to help friends w/ those jobs... ok maybe a lifetime supply for 2 hrs of work but that's where i cut it off

Workin' 4 Toys
03-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Enjoy them equally.

rhsprostar
03-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Sorry H20ski Dude, but I myself find nothing challenging in going fast in a straight-line. Anyone can "pin-it". As far as the backwoods ventures go on a sled, yeah, that's fun, but those things still handle like crappola. It's most likely that the reason I haven't taken to those is because they just don't handle like my Yamahas, Rossignols, and HOs.

IMO, speed is always better when you're layin' it over.

Man you have never really driven a sled have you?

Kyle I am with you brother, there is nothing better than blasting through the twistys with a machine that can accelerate better than any other production vehicle, and can corner like if it's on rails if set up properly. My "Yamaha" corners way better than any ATV out there bar none.
But i do agree with the Rossi and HO comments though!

06197ttlq9-footer
03-14-2008, 02:17 PM
cold is bad mmmmmm k. It's *** now, it sucked back in the day, and it will always suck mmmmmm k. Dont believe me? try this, next time you see a great looking woman think to your self.... Is she cold? I think you'll understand mmmmmmm k. Peace

rhsprostar
03-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Its all frame of mind. You have to embrace winter, get the proper clothing and finally and most important.......get out and do stuff!
I used to hate it as well. Now I love it! Skiing, sledding, skating, hiking, 4-wheeling etc....
You would hate summer too if all you did was stay inside all the time!

wakeX2wake
03-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Its all frame of mind. You have to embrace winter, get the proper clothing and finally and most important.......get out and do stuff!
I used to hate it as well. Now I love it! Skiing, sledding, skating, hiking, 4-wheeling etc....
You would hate summer too if all you did was stay inside all the time!
move to alabama where it's just cold as crap and there is no snow!!!... there's nothing to do here in the winter but work, drink beer, and breed... the later two of the three happen to be some of my favorite activities