PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze?

Gonzo
03-09-2008, 04:28 PM
I live in NC and it probably wont get much colder then 25 overnight anymore this year. Since I just test drove and bought a 190,I have drained the block. Should I pull a couple of the top hoses that lead to the exhaust manifolds and pour some anti freeze in them? I dont really have the time or need to do a full winterization.

any thoughts?

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Just to be on the safe side, I'd say pull the hose from your trans cooler and suck 2 or 3 gallons of RV antifreeze through it while running the engine. At the very least, drain the block/heads, exhaust manifolds, transmission cooler and muffler. You don't want to start your season making repairs that are easily avoided.

Gonzo
03-09-2008, 04:51 PM
so letting it pull pure RV Antifreeze is OK? wont I hurt something running it out of the water like that? Forgive me, I have only owned an inboard outboard and it had a heat exchanger so I never had to worry past draining it.

Gonzo
03-09-2008, 04:52 PM
so letting it pull pure RV Antifreeze is OK? wont I hurt something running it out of the water like that? Forgive me, I have only owned an inboard outboard and it had a heat exchanger so I never had to worry past draining it.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Running it out of the water is fine. Just don't run it in gear...the bearing in the strut needs water for lubrication.

The only problem you will have with pull the antifreeze through the intake is that it will come out through the exhaust (could be messy). Use RV antifreeze, the pink stuff. You should be able to get it for about $2.50 a gallon. If you want to save on the mess of blowing the antifreeze out the exhaust, you can disconnect the cooling hoses from the exhaust manifolds, plug one of them and run the other into the same bucket you draw the antifreeze out of (it creates a loop). If you go that route, be sure to pull the plugs out of the back of the exhaust maniflolds to drain the water that remains in them. Also open the drain in the bottom of the muffler.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-09-2008, 05:08 PM
By the way....congrats on the new to you MC. The '91 is a great ski boat. You should be very pleased with the improvement over your IO wake and handling.

Hammer
03-09-2008, 05:58 PM
And sta-bil in fuel. Fog. Pob don't need either this year, since you will bring it to CSM in a few weeks!

Gonzo
03-09-2008, 06:23 PM
yea the I found the power point that has full instructions, but they looked to be a little overkill since I will probably be full on in mid may.

I drained it everywhere and left the fittings loose,

vogelm1
03-10-2008, 06:02 PM
I'd just drain everything - no need for anti-freeze. Drain both sides of the block, pull plugs out of the manifolds, disconnect garden hose fitting from hose that runs along back of engine, pull hoses from water circulating and raw water pumps, bump engine a couple times with lanyard removed (so it doesn't start) to blow any little bit of water left in impeller housing and you're good to go.

Gonzo
03-10-2008, 09:12 PM
looks like I got everything but the Garden hose? I sure didnt see that.

I pulled the plugs on the manifolds, drained the block, tranny cooler and muffler. It should be good to go, I will keep my eye on the weather.