PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Leaf Spring Replacement

KRek
03-08-2008, 11:26 PM
I have a 96 Prostar 205 with a standard MC single-axle trailer. I'm looking to minimize the all too common prop guard drag by lifting the trailer a couple inches. After reading through the related threads on this forum and weighing all my options, I've decided to install a replacement set of springs with some additional camber.

The stock springs (4-leaf) are 17.0" long with ~2.75" rise (loaded). The hangers have a center-to-center span of 17.25" with a 4.5" long rear shackle.

I would like to switch to a spring set with a 4.25" rise and possibly go with a longer shackle (6"?). However, I've searched everywhere I can think of and I can only find springs with this much rise in a 26" length. The 27" springs only seem to be available with a 2.75" rise (same as what I have now). I'm concerned that there will be too much binding in the shackle if I try to install a 26" spring; the hanger span suggests having a spring closer to 28".

I'd like to know if anyone out there has installed a set of 26" springs for some additional lift. If so, any issues? Or if someone knows where I can locate a 27-28" spring with at least a 4.25" rise, please do share. If I can't find the correct springs and mounting a 26" is no good, I guess I'll have to re-weld a new rear hanger. Not a huge deal, just some extra hassle.

If you have some experience in this area and can shed some light on this subject, I'd appreciate the advice. Thanks.

ShamrockIV
03-09-2008, 10:48 AM
prop drag u say??
i seem to recall that my 97 205 has a drop down in the trailer to prevent this. what are u towing with?? is it too high therfore putting boat at an angle and causing "prop drag"? maybe a drop down ball would help. or maybe something in your towing procedures is the cause.

i would see what all info u get on here. i am not sure prop drag is a common thing. JMHO

KRek
03-09-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm referring to the steel guard on the trailer that protects the prop during trailering, not the prop itself. My tow height is at 18.5" but I still "drag" the prop guard backing up driveways, getting into gas stations, ect. The guard is doing it's job and protecting the prop but I'd like to lift the height of the rear end a couple inches to minimize the heavy scraping backing into my driveway. Other owners have added lift kits between the spring/axle, installed rollers on the guard, installed new springs, ect to gain some extra clearance. I've decided to try the new spring option but I'm having trouble locating 27" length springs with more camber that what I already have.

ShamrockIV
03-09-2008, 12:59 PM
i got u. i have always had MC's so my trailer towing procedures account for this. sorry . i am sure u will get the answer u want from here!!

TMCNo1
03-09-2008, 02:13 PM
I must be stoned, WTH is being said????????????

bkblaida
03-25-2008, 01:10 PM
We have a 97 205 and were experiencing the same problem of dragging the guard over the driveway curb and other locations. We solved by installing a set of wheels on the guard that now catch before the guard and roll the trailer over the curb. $35.00 for the wheels from Northern Tool Co. and $75.00 for welding on the plates to hold the wheels. If you search this sight for trailer and wheels you will find many examples to mimic. Much easier and cheaper than new springs. I would attach pics however the boat is in storage.

russlars
03-25-2008, 02:00 PM
I have had the same issue with my trailer dragging the prop guard so I recently purchased a set of these from DHM Trailer: http://www.dhmtrailers.com/online/home.php?cat=161
I purchased the bolt-on variety. I have not installed them yet, but I will say that they are well built and are designed for heavy duty! I purchased them from DHM because that is who manufactured my trailer. It looks like they would fit about any trailer with a prop guard though. As was stated earlier, I think this is an easier fix than new leaf springs and this also doesn't change the launching height, etc.:)

bbeach
03-25-2008, 02:36 PM
http://www.greyststudio.com/trailer_back.jpg

http://www.greyststudio.com/8.jpg

bbeach
03-25-2008, 02:44 PM
http://www.greyststudio.com/level_view.jpg

I've since replaced these wheels with the plastic version because they don't scratch my driveway...