PDA

View Full Version : ps 209 questions

85mc
03-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Looking at a 2001 prostar 209
It is not local, but before I make the trip to test drive it I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the slalom wake is like. That is primely what we do but the family is getting bigger and surfing and wakebording are also something we enjoy. I am also looking at an 03 197.
thanks.

Monte
03-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Have no idea, but I will give you a bump...

Chicago190
03-08-2008, 08:57 PM
197 wake is much better for slalom. I would ski the 209 before buying it to decide if its good enough for your use.

icedog-10
03-08-2008, 09:39 PM
I have a 93 205 and did a demo of a 209 and it is a bigger bump. It was not that bad, but I was only skiing at 15 off and I just free ski. There is alot more storage and the wakeboard wake was decent too.

VTJC
03-08-2008, 09:48 PM
I have never skied behind a 209, but they don’t have a great reputation as a ski boat. The hull was based on a Maristar hull. The 03+ hulls had a ‘hook’ added to the rear of the bottom to push the bow down and improve slalom wake(197’s also got same upgrade beginning with 02 TT’s). Some people have added this to the older hulls.

In this thread
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=21807
erkoehler a MC dealer said “I'd take an X-1 over an x-9(209 hull)” for slalom and footing.

My advices if you’re looking for slalom go with a 197. If you looking for wakeboard boat that you can also ski behind, go with X1. If you want a larger slalom boat, and want to stick with MC, a 214 is the best option(but they just came out last year). IMOP the Malibu Sunsetter LXI is a great ski boat, especially for its size.

Mag_Red
03-08-2008, 11:06 PM
yeah..............it sucks as a ski boat:rolleyes: You can ski, board, surf behind it and haul around 8-9 people all day long with out feeling crowded. Here's the wake at 36 MPH

6ballsisall
03-08-2008, 11:13 PM
I've ski'd behind Mags boat. They have TONS of room inside and a decent slalom wake. It's not 197 in term of slalom wake but it's still very skiable IMO.

ShamrockIV
03-09-2008, 09:55 AM
what about the x14?

2RLAKE
03-09-2008, 10:14 AM
i had an 02 TT 197 and the 04 X9 photo boat ... the X9/209 definately has a much bigger ski wake; however, it all depends on your level of skiing and what you are looking for in a ski boat. The guy who bought my X9 was amazed at how good the slalom wake was (first time inboard owner). The 209 is a good barefoot boat.

As Mag Red said you can haul a lot of people on it for the day and never get crowded. It is also a fairly good wakeboard and surfing boat. If you are looking to run the course shortline, that might not be the boat.

As Shamrock said the X14 is a fantastic new boat ... terrific hull design and a terrific ski boat ... it basically the 197 hull with a 209 deck ... awesome boat

ShamrockIV
03-09-2008, 10:15 AM
my buddy has a x14 it sure looks nice!!!!!
he does complain about storage though.

my advice to u is this. try one out thoroughly!!!! big investment to regret getting the wrong model!!
i am a DD guy so my next one would prob be x14. i am not to shot in the A$$ about having to step over that seat in the 197

2RLAKE
03-09-2008, 10:20 AM
storage is not all that bad ... i had a big box of all the stuff from the X9 and it eventually found a home in the X14 or i decided i didnt really need it ... no argument that there is less storage but we love the seat layout ... and I love my colors and how it looks

ProTour X9
03-09-2008, 10:37 AM
209/X9 plenty of storage, tons of room, ok slalom wake, good ride
197/X7 not a lot of storage, ample room, awesome slalom wake, ok ride
214/X14 ample storage, plenty of room, great slalom wake, good ride
:twocents: If that helps any:)

85mc
03-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I love the look of the 209, still undecided. I found a killer deal on an 07 (hate to admit it) Malibu RLXI its almost the same size. 209= 20'11" with 96" beam. LXI= 20'6" with 93.5" beam although not as deep (and not an MC). Decisions, decisions.

Ryan
03-10-2008, 10:16 PM
I love the 209. Maybe I heard so many bad rumors, and it's real skiability totally impressed me. And I have the 'best 190 hull' for my own just so you know where I'm coming from. The 209 at 34mph was much more fun to swirve behind than a X-1. At the rate I'm going I doubt I get passed 35 off before my body gives up. So the 209 is perfect for my needs and the gains in room, storage and cross-over ability ought wiegh the slightly taller wake. My impression is that taller wake is aerated and soft to

In the same weekend I skied a X-2 (current X-1) and Mag's 209. I was dissapointed in the X-2 for skiing. It's wake looks good from the boat, but that's one meaty wake no matter how hard you edge through. Maybe with a wakeplate it could be pretty good as the wake would soften up in addition to shrinking it. Disclaimer, 4 people in the X-2 vs Mag being the only one in the 209, so when you do have those extra six people it will be more dense, and maybe the tank was empty. But still, I must refute that the X-1 ski's better.

Ryan
03-10-2008, 10:31 PM
And within 4 minutes Erik smells a sale and pitched a 209 to me. This guy has sure learned how to work it! :D :D :D

erkoehler
03-10-2008, 10:46 PM
4 minutes means I am off my game!

cdcarve
03-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Be careful about thinking the rlxi is close to the size of a 209. On paper it is... But in reality they are not even close - The 209 is huge compared to the rlxi. I own an 06 x-9 and ski behind an 08 rlxi. They are very different boats. The rlxi skis like a tournament boat, rides like a tournament boat, and feels like a tournament boat with a walk through bow because it is a tournament boat. The 209 is a huge boat with tons of storage that rides great and skis very well - it is not a 197 or a rlxi or a 196.

peason
03-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Our family loves our 209 - we ski, barefoot, wakeboard and surf behind our 209. I have a 2002 model, but I had the hull replaced due to a bad gel coat on the original. The 2002 hull tended to porpoise at barefoot speeds - so I would test drive the boat you are looking at. The 2005 hull with a "hook" does not porpoise at all and it has also improved the slalom wake. We are not course skiers- all of our slalom is done at 15 off - free ski. What I love about this boat is the interior room and ability to do all of the water sports we love. We mainly wakeboard and the wake for wakeboarding is adaquate - it is wide so you need to carry some speed into the wake. We have had a lot of wakeboarders behind our boat that are more skilled than I will every be and they can preform any trick they want.
I have ridden in an x-7 and it is a great boat - but it is strickly designed to be a slalom and barefoot boat. Interior room is tight and you have to be careful crossing the wake when you return to your skier so you don't get water over the bow, but with patience and practice this is not too much of a problem.
I would reccomend test driving and skiing behind each boat - and when you do make a decision - post pictures of your new boat!

Ryan
03-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Wait! Did I say I love the 209?!? I meant to say it sucks, the wake is crappy for everything. You'd be better off with a Bayliner. Keep selling that story, especially all of you guys who've never ridden or skied behind it, you're doing a great job. Just use more stories like engines falling through the floor or something creative. Then Erik will be forced to sell me that '03 for $15k after it sits for a year.

ShamrockIV
03-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Wait! Did I say I love the 209?!? I meant to say it sucks, the wake is crappy for everything. You'd be better off with a Bayliner.

what else would u expect from a Ohio State fan!!! oh i am sorry "the ohio state"!!!

Chicago190
03-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Wait! Did I say I love the 209?!? I meant to say it sucks, the wake is crappy for everything. You'd be better off with a Bayliner. Keep selling that story, especially all of you guys who've never ridden or skied behind it, you're doing a great job. Just use more stories like engines falling through the floor or something creative. Then Erik will be forced to sell me that '03 for $15k after it sits for a year.

Well when the other boat he is considering is a 197 and he says he is mainly focused on slalom, then yes a 209 may not fit his needs.

Ryan
03-11-2008, 02:51 PM
what else would u expect from a Ohio State fan!!! oh i am sorry "the ohio state"!!!

I'm not much of a fan. I just moved here. The flag is a little tongue in cheek, see, so many people fly the OSU flag you'd think you get one free for paying property taxes. :D