PDA

View Full Version : Worst day I've had since I've owned my X-star

manny34711
03-08-2008, 03:58 PM
I park my boat (2000 X-star) outside covered up pretty nice, in a safe place all year round. I had it sitting over the winter, so lets say.... it sat for a good 5 months. I checked it out today for the first time this year and I was hurt from what I saw..... The cover was damaged so yes... you guessed it... My bilge, and my center ski locker were completely filled. Plus on top of that... another 10-12" of water above the floor. In other words.... It was pretty bad. I opened the engine compartment and there was about 7-10" of water in there as well. I don't know what to expect from this point on... Last season I got my 100 hour service plus my transmission seals replaced. Since then I drove the boat about 75 hours. The water is all gone but the smell, mold, and stains all remain. I tried to turn over the engine and it started up after 6-7 turns. I immediately turned it off after.

I want to get my baby ready for this season. What do you guys recommend after all of this? So far this is what I have planned:

1. Obviously clean it back to top-notch condition, in and out.
2. Oil change
3. Fill up the tank and add some fuel inj cleaner and give it a run.
4. clean the bilge pump w/ some soap and water.
5. and most importantly.... get a NEW, outdoor approved cover. What do you guys recommend? Sunbrella?

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!

flipper
03-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Not so much for this year, but next winter, leave the plug out just in case.

corey
03-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Dry it out, check the starter and properly lubricate it!!!

manny34711
03-08-2008, 04:06 PM
So it's not as bad as it sounds correct? Just a lot of man hours to clean this baby in and out?

flipper
03-08-2008, 04:08 PM
So it's not as bad as it sounds correct? Just a lot of man hours to clean this baby in and out?

I don't think you're in any trouble other than a mess. Did the water make it up to the starter? Any other electrical? Other than that, I would flush the tranny really well.

Edit: and lube everything else

manny34711
03-08-2008, 04:11 PM
the starter was a bit underwater... maybe like a 1/4 of it. I'll still pull it out and lube it... Other than that..... nothing major was under water. oh yeah... The fuel tank was completely under water but that baby is sealed.

uawaterskier
change the tranny fluid too!!!

BrianM
5. and most importantly.... get a NEW, outdoor approved cover. What do you guys recommend? Sunbrella?

If you store it outdoors I highly reccomend a waterline Sunbrella cover from www.skiboatcovers.com Hands down the best storage cover out there.

flipper
03-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Also one of those frames, so the water runs off, and not puddle up on the cover.

manny34711
03-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks a lot for the fast responses guys. I love this place

Matt L.
03-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Better take a look underneath. I've seen trailer stored boats that filled up similarly and did significant hull damage due to the excessive weight on the bunks.

MCs are pretty sturdy, but you were applying a lot of weight to a relatively small surface area at the bunks.

good luck!

Matt

BrianM
03-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Oh and one more thing. Always leave the plug out when stored outdoors that way if you do get water inside it drains out the bottom.

TX.X-30 fan
03-08-2008, 04:57 PM
If you store it outdoors I highly reccomend a waterline Sunbrella cover from www.skiboatcovers.com Hands down the best storage cover out there.

BrianM is there any cover that will work with a tower, I mean to keep all the water out??

BrianM
03-08-2008, 06:17 PM
BrianM is there any cover that will work with a tower, I mean to keep all the water out??

www.skiboatcovers.com will custom make their covers to fit around the towers. Just have to call them up and ask. I imagine they can make it pretty water tight. Their workmanship and fit is excellent.

mayo93prostar
03-09-2008, 01:15 AM
leave the plug out

KHall
03-09-2008, 08:43 AM
If the boat has a tower, just use a 25' tarp over the tower. It protects the "waterproof covers, and gives you a place to work under if its raining.

rob935
03-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Did the same thing many moons ago on a previous boat and now i always leave the drain plug out no matter how good the cover is
!!
your starter motor would be the main concern it will work fine but its now full of moisture and WILL burn out soon unless you take it out and check it over ..!
definitley get yourself a good outdoor cover and put a frame inplace so the water runs off it , bestof luck and happy boating.

coz
03-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Oh and one more thing. Always leave the plug out when stored outdoors that way if you do get water inside it drains out the bottom.

I always pull the plug at the ramp right after I pull the boat out of the water. I've done this with every boat I had, then by the time I get home the bilge is dry, if not all the way the 110 degree AZ heat gets rid of the rest, is this not common practice with everyone? (pulling the plug after use) :D

h2oskifreak
03-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Always pull the plug on the ramp. Many problems can be avoided here. One big one is mold and mildew. Just that little bit of ventilation does wonders.

rkmason
03-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Got a lot of water in my MariStar a few years ago and three things happened afterward:

* Everthing worked fine for a week immediately after the event, but about a month later it would not turn over. Found that the starter solenoid plunger had gotten wet and corroded until it stuck. Replaced solenoid.
* Later in the season the ECM went bad and was replaced. Not sure this was a result of the flooding but I am suspicious because of the timing. I had the engine running with the alternator submerged and it may have been putting voltage spikes into the electrical system that damaged the ECM
* The next season my alternator seemed to be unable to keep up with electrical demand when I was running at night with all the lights on. I had the alternator rebuilt and was told that one brush was completely worn out. I'm not sure if the alternator trouble was related to the flooding, but again the timing was suspicious.

Jerseydave
03-09-2008, 03:47 PM
You may want to spray a good coating of WD-40 on the engine parts, mostly the oil pan. Oil pans can rust from the outside.

If you're storing your boat outside for that long, why not have it shrink-wrapped each winter? We have to do that up here in NJ because of snow, ice, etc. Good piece of mind.

JimN
03-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Before you try to run it again, connect a fuel pressure gauge to the Shrader Valve on the fuel line and cycle the fuel pump, or crank it over, so you can take a fuel sample. If water is in the tank, you don't really want to send it all the way through the fuel system. If you can, find a way to look into the tank and take a sample before cranking it again. That way, you can siphon the water out and keep it from trying to be pulled through the fuel filter. If I were you, I would plan on replacing it, regardless.

Don't think adding alcohol will mix with a lot of water- if there's any appreciable quantity, you want to get rid of it, instead of trying to mix it into the fuel, which won't really work, anyway. You may see a milky liquid, which is what you want to remove.

T Scott
03-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Take a pressure washer on a low setting to the carpet and interior fiberglass. (Not the vinyl.) This will help eliminate some of the algae and grime that is now surely in your carpet. I have had good luck cleaning my interior with a product called "purple power". You can buy it at Lowes or any other home improvement store. Keep it away from the seams if possible. By the way......your starter is toast! Rebuild it or replace it now to avoid the headaches. It looks as if you are in Central Florida based on your zipcode in your user name. If so, PM me I have some connections!

JDK
03-11-2008, 04:49 PM

....seeing that you asked for tips,,,, if this happens again, don't try to start the engine until you are very sure there's no water in the fuel system, crank case, electrical system, starter, alternator, transmission. Good luck.

SkiDog
03-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Take a pressure washer on a low setting to the carpet and interior fiberglass. (Not the vinyl.) This will help eliminate some of the algae and grime that is now surely in your carpet. I have had good luck cleaning my interior with a product called "purple power". You can buy it at Lowes or any other home improvement store. Keep it away from the seams if possible. By the way......your starter is toast! Rebuild it or replace it now to avoid the headaches. It looks as if you are in Central Florida based on your zipcode in your user name. If so, PM me I have some connections!
I certainly hope your connections are BAWS!:D