PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Leaf Springs

kjohnson
03-08-2008, 03:19 PM
How does one know if the leaf springs need replacing? Mine are original and are 17 years old!

ShamrockIV
03-08-2008, 03:25 PM
i would say not. i have never heard of replacing them. u having a problem??

flipper
03-08-2008, 03:27 PM
I would replace them, unless they are broken, don't ride the way you want, or are about to rust through or something.

TMCNo1
03-08-2008, 03:36 PM
If you have doubts, take them off, and take them to a local spring rebuilder and they can test and re-ach them to original condition.

kjohnson
03-09-2008, 01:50 PM
There does not appear to be anything wrong with them. I just didn't know how long they normally last. If they fail, it could be a disaster while towing the boat. Does anybody know of anyone who had a failure?

TMCNo1
03-09-2008, 02:00 PM
There does not appear to be anything wrong with them. I just didn't know how long they normally last. If they fail, it could be a disaster while towing the boat. Does anybody know of anyone who had a failure?

Yes, there has been some previous posts, but the trailer history would probably aid in knowing why the spring failed. For some reason there are failures, but never a explaination as to why there was a failure and was never posted.

Ric
03-09-2008, 02:16 PM
There does not appear to be anything wrong with them. I just didn't know how long they normally last. If they fail, it could be a disaster while towing the boat. Does anybody know of anyone who had a failure? I had the leaf springs fail on a 2000 190 trailer...

It was only about 40mph on my way to the dealer but it did bury the tire into the fender and smoke the tire til I stopped... thankfully there was no hull damage, but there was a known issue with those early zips mc trailers.

This one lost half a leaf on the way home from the lake... I didnt know it til I was home and couldnt get in the driveway when I realized it was sitting low on one side and did some inspection... headed to the dealer that week and lost the axle :eek:

so half the bottom leaf originally broke and then later, when the rest of that leaf came out, the lateral stress broke the main leaf loose from the brackets and whammo!

88 PS190
03-09-2008, 03:48 PM
We have a suspension shop near us that does wonderful work with leaf springs, they even tune springs and replace leafs etc.

Anyway they can tell if springs are good or bad, I believe by knowing what sort of arch the spring is supposed to have, but they just look at them and have a good idea of the amount of "springiness" that the spring has lost.

liledgy
03-09-2008, 10:14 PM
I had a failure on a 1982 SS in 1985. This boat was rarely trailered. drivers side axel went cmpletly under boat at a 90 degree angle. I don't know why it failed. I have hAD A 1987 PROSTAR BOUGHT NEW AND a 1989 American Skier Advance bought new and never have had a problem. In 1994 I bought another 1983 model SS and have never had a problem with the springs. In 1985 I ended up fabricating a new axle and trying to save the prop when it was being winched up pulled the platform loose. the DS fender was also scraped uppretty good.

Chas
03-10-2008, 01:08 AM
I had a larger cabin cruiser on a triple axle trailer - it made a ton of noise when backing up/down the driveway into the storage yard. So when I had some time I took it to a trailer shop. They said every single spring was broken and they had no idea how I managed to get it to them at all.

Six new springs, all new bearings and seals, one new wheel, six bearing buddies, and I decided a smaller boat would be a good idea next time...

kjohnson
03-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Chas,

You are a lucky man.