PDA

View Full Version : Stainless exhaust tips...

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-06-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm thinking about adding stainless exhaust tips on our '04 205V. I'm looking at the rexmar products ( http://www.rexmar.com/page230.html ). Has anyone changed out their standard exhaust tips to stainless and used the rexmar product? Reviews? Install tips?

It looks like my stock exhaust has a 3" ID coming out the back? But I'm not sure of the hose ID and such inside (without tearing it apart). Anyone?

It also looks like my stock has a 6" cover plate on the rear transom, but the rexmar stuff doesn't look as big.

I'm emailing rexmar to find out any info, but if anyone has any insight it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

trickskier
03-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Get with Mike at MYMC. He'll be able to help answer your questions.

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks Trick...I'll do that, but I was quoted MC pricing by my dealer...hence my further search (subtle hint). I'll let you know what I find out.

Anyone else?

Doug G
03-06-2008, 10:19 PM
MYMC has done extensive R&D on the subject and is really the man I would want feedback from. Is this an appearance or performance motivated inquiry?

This thread really got into it awhile back; http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16293

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Thanks Doug. That thread title didn't come up and smack me in the face when I did a search. I sent Mike an email last night, but maybe all has been said in the thread you linked

It's strictly appearance motivated, although I don't want a drop in performance.

Thanks again,
Paul

ShamrockIV
03-07-2008, 08:58 AM
may i ask a dumb question??
aren't the tips under water or the platform?? can u see them in the water??

coz
03-07-2008, 09:02 AM

Not dumb and no you can't see them in the water only on the trailer.

Maristar210
03-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Too bad you don't know a guy who has a bunch of polished SS laying around who could cut and fabricate whatever you need. Too bad I say ;)

flipper
03-07-2008, 09:17 AM
I wanted to get a set of them also, but seems like a lot of $$$.

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Yes to all of your questions. I can see them when it's on the trailer and when I'm behind the boat. And yes...I do look at them while boarding.

Think of it as underwear. No one sees them until you drop your pants. Do you want to be caught in your functional, stained, whitie-tighties or in your best action gear!?!?:D

This is a want...not a need. We all have different wants and needs.

flipper
03-07-2008, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=P-hat_in_Cincy]Think of it as underwear. No one sees them until you drop your pants. Do you want to be caught in your functional, stained, whitie-tighties or in your best action gear!?!?:D
QUOTE]

:uglyhamme :purplaugh :uglyhamme

ttu
03-07-2008, 09:46 AM
just hope this does not happen.

mc did replace.:D

prostar205
03-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Paul -

I'm with you on the appearance issue - I think these polished SS tips look great. I was going to do it also but wanted to install the Fresh Air Exhaust system. With the FAE system, you can not use the SS tips. Just something to think about if you are going to someday install a FAE for surfing and/or quieting down the boat.

ShamrockIV
03-07-2008, 12:03 PM

sorry bro i got too many kids for extra non functional stuff!! guess my priorities are screwed up. ;)

Jesus_Freak
03-07-2008, 12:42 PM
MYMC has done extensive R&D on the subject and is really the man I would want feedback from. Is this an appearance or performance motivated inquiry?

This thread really got into it awhile back; http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16293

Yes, Mike and I worked together to show that the tips shown in post 12 of the current thread will harm performance under certain conditions.

TRBenj
03-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Yes to all of your questions. I can see them when it's on the trailer and when I'm behind the boat. And yes...I do look at them while boarding.

Think of it as underwear. No one sees them until you drop your pants. Do you want to be caught in your functional, stained, whitie-tighties or in your best action gear!?!?:D

I hear you.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/tips_07.jpg

Doug G
03-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with following through on the want list and adding bling as long as it doesn't decrease the performance.

I like it as well but the bling budget is limited and with an MCX I am following Mike's recommendation. I will spend the bling funds in other areas that are more bang for the buck so to speak.

ShamrockIV
03-07-2008, 02:06 PM
bang rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TMCNo1
03-07-2008, 02:08 PM

That was beautiful and brought a tears to my eyes!:cool:

ShamrockIV
03-07-2008, 02:13 PM
yes he does have a way with words doesn't he!!!!!

TMCNo1
03-07-2008, 02:18 PM
yes he does have a way with words doesn't he!!!!!

You do too, "extra non functional stuff", now that's really brutiful!;)

ShamrockIV
03-07-2008, 02:24 PM
thanks tmc i appreciate it!!!!

to quote my fav movie, "u use ur mouth better than a $20 whore"

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-07-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm glad I could get my point across while adding some humor.

I'm not looking to remove any parts from the boat...other than what's necessary. That's why the Rexmar stuff looks attractive. It appears to do what I want at a fraction of the cost.

I'm just looking for info from people that might know what MC's uses, so that I can try to do a "plug-n-play".

Anyone have:
1) exhaust tube ID
2) thru hull ID (the ID of the cutout thru the hull)?
3) any other valuable information pertaining to the job?

Thanks,
Paul

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-07-2008, 02:45 PM
sorry bro i got too many kids for extra non functional stuff!! guess my priorities are screwed up. ;)

Nope...your priorities aren't screwed up. We just have different ones.

I have things I HAVE to do and things I WANT to do. The WANTS are a good break from the HAVEs sometimes.

ShamrockIV
03-07-2008, 02:47 PM
The WANTS are a good break from the HAVEs sometimes.

true but the needs always come first!!!

flipper
03-07-2008, 02:59 PM
true but the needs always come first!!!

Herd dat!!!!

ShamrockIV
03-07-2008, 03:11 PM
i see flipper is a man like myself!!!
d@mn needs always outweigh the wants. Oh did i say this week we had to order 3 yearbooks and 2 class pictures and i still got o buy easter shoes!!!!

anyone find any extra money i take paypal!!

TRBenj
03-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Anyone have:
1) exhaust tube ID
2) thru hull ID (the ID of the cutout thru the hull)?
3) any other valuable information pertaining to the job?

I dont own a MC, so I cant say for sure- but Id be very surprised if the exhaust hose wasnt 3" ID. The tips should have an OD of 3" to match.

If you truly want a plug and play swap, then you also need to look at the mounting hole pattern.

east tx skier
03-07-2008, 05:33 PM
I dont own a MC, so I cant say for sure- but Id be very surprised if the exhaust hose wasnt 3" ID.

Me neither, but I think it's actually 4" on a MC. PCM's incoming hoses have a smaller ID than Indmar as well.

stuartmcnair
03-07-2008, 05:39 PM
I spoke with Rexmar about this for a while a few weeks ago. The SS tips they have would require you to cut a larger diameter hole in the boat. There are a few other marine exhaust vendors that might work better.

These are the ones I am looking at (http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=317)

kevfischer
03-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Do these other vendors require you to cut a bigger hole?

sully
03-07-2008, 07:48 PM
I have thought of adding some stainless exhaust tips also but would rather have the folding platform and wondered if the tips would impede the platform from folding all the way.

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Here's what rexmar stated:
"Thanks for your interest in Rex Marine Products. Changing exhaust tips should not be too difficult. Our exhaust tip flange o.d. is 6" (referring to the cover plate...or largest diameter). Mounting hole locations may be different and that may cause you to have to drill a few new holes. The only other item you need to look at is where your boats mufflers are placed. Some of then are right on the inside of the transom and use a small piece of hose to connect to the exhaust tip. After installing our tips you may have to move the muffler forward to make enough room for the new tip.

These are common issues that previous customers have come across, but remember that every boat is a little different. If you have any further questions, please call us 909-592-1000."

Sully...I can't get a folding platform for the 205V/X1. I'd love to but it also makes for a great storage area for my shop-vac and pressure washer while in the garage.

Dave@BAWS
03-08-2008, 04:13 PM
P-hat,
I converted my 93 to the MCX exhaust manifolds, 3.5" straight exhaust, and 3.5" S/S tips last year. We ended up having to cut the holes through the hull out to accommodate the 1/2" larger tips, but other than that, it really was not that bad. I do not have any pics of the exhaust under the floor, but you can see in the motor pic that we used 3.5 rubber marine exhaust, then joined to 3.5 PVC. From there we used more 3.5 marine exhaust to the tips. We did not use mufflers and I was concerned with noise, but surprisingly it is not much louder. I was able to use two of three existing holes for the mounting screws, and had to drill just one new one. If you do this make sure you use A LOT of marine sealant around the tips and in the holes :)
Here is a link to the tips I used and am very happy with.
http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/exhuast.html#Exh%20tips%20and%20acc
Dave

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg196/waterskibumfl/P1010013-1-1.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg196/waterskibumfl/P1010011.jpg

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Dave,
Your setup looks great!
You stated you had to cut your hull to accomodate the extra 1/2". Is that from 3" to 3.5"? On mine, the exhaust tube from the manifold to the muffler says 3.5". I assume it's the same from the muffler out the current exhaust. If I measured correctly, the ID of my exhaust coming out the back is 3". Therefore, I'd assume the hull cutout ID is 3 1/8" - 3 1/2". Any more insight you could offer?
Thanks!
Paul

scottkirbysavage
03-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Nice exhaust! Yeah I am also intrested. Dave you mentioned above that you did not use mufflers/baffels. I also have a LT-1 and want it to be louder. Did you just run marine exhaust hose from the manifolds to the new tips? Also is the sound deeper or just louder? Thanks!

Scott

Dave@BAWS
03-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Dave,
Your setup looks great!
You stated you had to cut your hull to accomodate the extra 1/2". Is that from 3" to 3.5"? On mine, the exhaust tube from the manifold to the muffler says 3.5". I assume it's the same from the muffler out the current exhaust. If I measured correctly, the ID of my exhaust coming out the back is 3". Therefore, I'd assume the hull cutout ID is 3 1/8" - 3 1/2". Any more insight you could offer?
Thanks!
Paul

Paul we did have to cut from 3" to 3.5" through the hull for the new tips. The LT-1's were only 3" exhaust. You should not have to cut any additional material, maybe just clean up the holes on yours since you already have 3.5". Should be pretty painless for the install, and use all the existing hose and mufflers if you so choose.

FYI, I ran hose from the MCX manifolds to a 3.5" PVC elbow, then about 20" of 3.5" PVC, back to marine exhaust hose to join to the tips. Suprisingly it was not much louder at all, just a slightly deeper tone. I did pick up some RPMs and a few MPH, and definitely some power going from the 3" to the 3.5", and the MCX manifolds, and it really was not too much work to install them.
Dave

scottkirbysavage
03-14-2008, 12:49 AM
What PVC did you use? I used some schedule 40 white pvc as a coupler on my last boat and it didnt last 20 min. Is there another type that will withstand more heat and not warp? Thanks

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Dave,
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was hoping to hear (and have confirmed separately). Now I have to pick exhaust tips or replacing the Clarion speakers!
Thanks again Dave. You've been a big help.
Paul

TheOneandOnly
03-14-2008, 09:01 AM
We thought ours *08x2 was going to be the stainless steel tips that was a big cosmetic difference over the competors which we liked, we will be getting ours in a few weeks but it has the rubber flapps, IMO not an upgrade but downgrade:( But if its because of the back pressure and it gives us more ump then im ok.

I wish they would tell you the differences you'll be getting when you order one (since we thought we were getting the same exact thing as a previous 08x2 they had in stock), especially when MC decides to change stuff. My buddy ordered an 08x2 also 2 weeks before me and got the SS tips... Again sky isnt falling but we liked the ss tips

Dave@BAWS
03-14-2008, 04:45 PM
What PVC did you use? I used some schedule 40 white pvc as a coupler on my last boat and it didnt last 20 min. Is there another type that will withstand more heat and not warp? Thanks

I ran schedule 40 all summer with no issues. You sure you used thick wall schedule 40 and not thin wall?

Paul,
No worries. Happy to help :-)

scottkirbysavage
03-15-2008, 01:43 AM
Thanks Dave, Hopefully I will be doing the conversion in the next few weeks. Thanks for all the tips. Have a good weekend!

scottkirbysavage
04-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Replaced the stock baffels with PVC yesterday. Put 6 hours on the boat and no problems. The best $16.23 I have ever spent. Boat sounds awesome. Just the right level I was looking for. Putting the SS tips on next week! Thanks Dave.

Dave@BAWS
04-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Hey Scott,
Glad to hear it came out OK :D

What tips did you end up ordering?

Prostar Rich
04-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Replaced the stock baffels with PVC yesterday. Put 6 hours on the boat and no problems. The best $16.23 I have ever spent. Boat sounds awesome. Just the right level I was looking for. Putting the SS tips on next week! Thanks Dave.

Good move. Your LT1 will love you for it.

Prostar Rich

scottkirbysavage
04-08-2008, 01:03 AM
I ordered the Rex Marine Jet Boat tips. Supposed to allow me to just pull the old flappers out and put the new tips in with no ajustments. I guess we will see. I will let you know, and post pics.