PDA

View Full Version : Computer help please

6ballsisall
03-06-2008, 11:54 AM
I bought a new Laptop about a month ago and it's running Vista business. Until this machine I've never used Vista at all so this is all Greek to me. Well a month in the machine feels like it's running much slower and Internet Explorer locks up at least once per day. I tried to go into IE an clean out the cache and all that stuff thinking it was overloaded but can't figure it out on this machine. What recommendations would you have to speed this thing back up?

dmayer84
03-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Load windows XP. Microsoft has already started working on windows 7 basically acknowledging that vista is a failure.

D3skier
03-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Load windows XP. Microsoft has already started working on windows 7 basically acknowledging that vista is a failure.

you can say that again.... what a PITA...I loaded vista business on my desktop to get aquainted with it and got sick and tired of it locking up on me so I spent the 4 days reloading my computer back to xp again

coz
03-06-2008, 12:43 PM
you can say that again.... what a PITA...I loaded vista business on my desktop to get aquainted with it and got sick and tired of it locking up on me so I spent the 4 days reloading my computer back to xp again

I've been running vista home premium and to date no probs (knock wood). Is the business version only affected buy this or do any other TT'ers vista home have these probs?

east tx skier
03-06-2008, 12:46 PM
No problems here with Vista home basic or home premium. What is your processor speed/ram configuration? IE7 is another story. Absolutely horrible browser. Ditch it and go firefox. If you can't do that, try to go back to IE6.

MC2000190
03-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Sell it and get an APPLE!

dmayer84
03-06-2008, 12:52 PM
No problems here with Vista home basic or home premium. What is your processor speed/ram configuration? IE7 is another story. Absolutely horrible browser. Ditch it and go firefox. If you can't do that, try to go back to IE6.

Cant put IE6 on vista, only IE7.

east tx skier
03-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Interesting. I just use Mozilla.

stuartmcnair
03-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Do the switch back to XP Pro. Vista business is full of problems and the patches they release cause more problems than they resolve.

jimmer2880
03-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Make sure you have at least 1gb of RAM. There are some interesting articles where Intel was forcing Microsoft to allow 500mb to be Vista Compliant When Microsoft wanted to have 1gb be the minimum.

In addition to that, get Service Pack 1 as soon as it comes out. We have been using the beta at work and have had no problems.

6ballsisall
03-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Big thanks to Sporty for his time on the phone last night! After running some spyware software (found lots of junk) it runs MUCH better!

6ballsisall
03-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Make sure you have at least 1gb of RAM. There are some interesting articles where Intel was forcing Microsoft to allow 500mb to be Vista Compliant When Microsoft wanted to have 1gb be the minimum.

In addition to that, get Service Pack 1 as soon as it comes out. We have been using the beta at work and have had no problems.

Yeah Vista is a memory hog, it's ridiculous! This thing has 2 gigs and I am thinking of upgrading it to 4 gig total. Coming from a machine that had 1 gig and ran XP Pro without any issues at all this seems a little goofy.

LKNMC
03-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Sell it and get an APPLE!

You beat me to it

the reason it is runny bad is because of Vista Microsoft really screwed up this time

Bongo
03-08-2008, 01:15 AM
One of my computers is running Vista. An absolute pig when I first loaded it up. Frustratingly slow.

Anyway, I google'd around and found a few tweaks / adjustments, and it now runs pretty well. No lock-ups. Reasonably fast.

The most obvious changes I recall:
- Disabled real-time virus protection. Had been running Avast! Stats showed it to run about 2000% slower on Vista than XP.
- Disabled google desktop search. (It and the native Windows Live search conflict. I had no great loyalty to google desktop search and few important files on this machine.)
- Disabled the user to load stuff from always prompting for the Admin on running new programs.
- Turned off most of the Microsoft crap-ware that wants to make your life "easier".

Great? No, not really. But pretty good with photos, music and cruising the Internet, which is 99% of its work.

Bongo

jimmer2880
03-08-2008, 08:29 AM
One of my computers is running Vista. An absolute pig when I first loaded it up. Frustratingly slow.

Anyway, I google'd around and found a few tweaks / adjustments, and it now runs pretty well. No lock-ups. Reasonably fast.

The most obvious changes I recall:
- Disabled real-time virus protection. Had been running Avast! Stats showed it to run about 2000% slower on Vista than XP.
- Disabled google desktop search. (It and the native Windows Live search conflict. I had no great loyalty to google desktop search and few important files on this machine.)
- Disabled the user to load stuff from always prompting for the Admin on running new programs.
- Turned off most of the Microsoft crap-ware that wants to make your life "easier".

Great? No, not really. But pretty good with photos, music and cruising the Internet, which is 99% of its work.

Bongo

Those are all great stuff to turn off.

One of the things we found noticeable, when panning around very large graphic files, was to change the performance type from "user experience" to "Performance"