PDA

View Full Version : Running ign relay wire for dual battery setup

2000XPSD
03-05-2008, 06:45 PM
i asked this in the official dual batt thread but didn't get an aswer so i thought i'd post in here:

for the relay power wire from the ignition switch what is the easiest way to run it? i have a 04 x2 and the battery is under the spotters seat. I was going to run it up to the bow and then back down the other side but the seat pads are bolted (except for the very front seat which slides up) and i don't see an easy way of getting them off...and I can't stick my fat hands up there to feed the wire thru the looms.
any ideas...easier to find a source wire in the engine comp and run it up from there? anybody have schematics?

flipper
03-05-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't quite understand what your trying to do. Where does the power wire come from now, or before?

2000XPSD
03-05-2008, 08:16 PM
i don't know if you've read diesel's write up on adding a relay and an extra battery but that is what i'm in the middle of doing. To power the relay there has to be a wire run from the ignition switch. The problem for me is running a wire NEATLY from the driver's side to the passenger's side. Getting at the looms is impossible without remove the front seatbacks which look bolted on to me. So basically what i'm asking is what is the easiest way to run wires from one side of the boat to the other

swatguy
03-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Not sure if they changed the mold or not over the years but on my 2000X-Star the guy before me ran a sub speaker wire from under the dash on the driver side to the amp on the passenger side directly between the ski locker. If I recall he just pushed a hanger through. It's wierd, it looks like the ski locker cut out would prevent the wire from going through but it didn't, it goes straight across from the drivers kick plate to just in front of the battery about 8inches on the observers side.

Had I not saw a wire run through there I would have never guessed it could fit. Thought the ski locker would prevent that from happening and I would have to run my wire like you state. Forget about tryting to remove the cushions.....PAI IN THE ARSE....but you could take out the speakers and run it with a little help from a hanger, but I would say try this first as mine is run. Just follow your observers seat wall down and were the wall ends and the floor begins there is a very very little space between there. My wire is coming through at that spot where the wall meets the floor about 8inches in front of the battery. Sorry don't have a pic so hope the description works

I am planning on running some more wiring myslef for added stereo stuff so will let you know if that works, but I alread have the advantage of having a wire pre run :D and it may be another week or so til I can get to that project

2000XPSD
03-06-2008, 11:10 AM
cool...I'll have to take a closer look at going straight across. I do have 2 amps on the spotter's side and i took a quick look at the wire runs but gave up once i saw they went thru the floor. i'll have to take your word for it as i thought the same thing about the locker being in the way.

I was thinking about disconnecting a wire on the spotters side and pulling it back thru with a new wire PLUS a wire for the relay...but that could bite me in the ***.

I'll squeeze my fat head in there this weekend and see if our setups are the same...that would be great if I can run the wire across

prostar205
03-06-2008, 01:07 PM
2000XPSD -

I installed the relay that Diesel describes in his dual battery thread and it works great. However, my three batteries are next to the engine on my X30. There is an ignition wire near the engine that is purple. You could tap into that and run it up the passenger side and into the observers area where your batteries are located.

swatguy
03-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Just a thought, but if you have the wires already pre ran buy a fish tape at the store and lood a zip with some string attatched to it loose enough to let it slide along the pre exhisting wires and just push the fish tape through carefully using the pre run wires as a gude and viola. The proble that may ocurr though if it those wires were put in at the actory they may have zip ties or grommets on them preventing you from getting that clean slide though. Hopefully not though.

Otherwise hopefully my original plan and the guy before me who wired the sub works for you

2000XPSD
03-16-2008, 12:55 PM
just for the record:
i finished running that wire yesterday. there was no way to feed it from the drivers side to spotter's side...i tried everything and it was just too much of a mess. what i ended up doing is running a snake down the left side feeding it thru the factory looms. in the engine compartment i found the purple wire...it was in a bulkhead connector that goes into where the circuit breaker and all the electronics are on a mcx. I then took the the dash apart and rang out the purple wire to make sure it was the correct one...which of course it was. Spliced into it and there you go, done deal

boofer
04-13-2008, 04:49 AM
Just a late question. Is it possible to splice into the amp turn-on lead?