PDA

View Full Version : Drysuits

kjohnson
03-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Ok, let's hear the pluses and minuses for neoprene, baggy nylon or hybrid drysuits. Brand recommendations also please.

Ole Miss Rebels
03-05-2008, 02:58 PM
my wife and i both have an oneil boost nylon baggy suit. we love them. we have had them for over three years with no issues.

oldriver
03-05-2008, 03:08 PM
I have a Kokatat,baggy nylon with a polyfleece liner,one piece I can wear if its too cold.Most comfortable drysuit I have ever used.http://www.kayakacademy.com/drysuit.html?OVRAW=surface%20dry%20suits&OVKEY=drysuits&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=7646633011&OVKWID=46088117011.
We slalom ski in frigid waters spring and fall,only way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
these are made for kayakers,have reinforcerd butt and knees,made to wear all day very tough and comfortable

flipper
03-05-2008, 03:36 PM
I vote for the baggy drysuit. Then you have the option to put what ever you want under depending on how cold it is.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-05-2008, 03:54 PM
BFI baggy drysuit. end of story. Best on the market for watersports IMO.

Heavy duty built to withstand barefooting abuse. highquality. a bit pricier, but you get what you pay for. you cant go wrong with one.

BrianM
03-05-2008, 04:15 PM
I think it really depends on what exactly it is you are going to be doing with it and just how cold both the air and water will be.For slalom in relatively mild conditions of about 50 air and water I really like my Skiwarm Sahara neoprene suit. Not a lot of drag to have to deal with still allows good movement and is warm with just shorts and a t shirt under. I also like that it is easy to get on and off and the seals require less fuss than the rubber seals on the baggy. This suit is great for everything but footing. If you are going to foot or are in much colder conditions then the baggy might be worth the extra trouble and bulk.

jkski
03-05-2008, 04:22 PM
I've got 2 of them and they are both baggy style. The first one I purchased was a BARE baggy and while it is good for most everything, footin' is NOT one of them. So, a friend was having a "fire sale" and I bought his BF Intl' which is quite a bit thicker and more heavy duty. The drawback of this suit is that the seals are very difficult to get on and off and "when not if" you rip one, they are more costly to replace because of the neoprene overlay.
With the BARE I always weem to have a problem with water rushing in the seal of my back leg, it could be though that my seals are stretched or I have it to far down on my leg and it is not a tight seal...moral of the story, a longer tapered seal is better than a short one as it tends to grab and seal to more surface area on your leg.

wakeX2wake
03-05-2008, 04:29 PM
i agree w/ BrianM... if the water is about 50+ then i'd stay with a neo wet/dry suit just to stay away from the uncomfortability but if it's colder than that i'd have to go w/ a nylon baggy b/c you can put on whatever you want under there and it's still freakin' cold but you're skiing/riding/footing non-the-less... the nylon baggy (i find) is not comfortable but neither is 40 degree water

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Slightly off the topic question that was asked but your dry suit will last a long time if you follow these steps:

1. Never take your drysuit off or put it on when you are standing on abrasive surfaces such as concrete, wooden docks, etc.

2. Never leave your drysuit out in the sun.

3. Never fold your drysuit so that your zipper is bent! You will separate the teeth in the zipper over time costing you $150 to have it repaired! Keep the zipper straight and roll the suit up when storing.

4. After your ski season is over....if it ever ends, or when you are not using your drysuit in the summer months, a) clean the rubber neck, ankle and wrist seals with MEK, b) spray or wipe down the rubber seals with Seal Saver, roll up your suit as described in Step #3 and put it in an air tight garbage bag and store it somewhere where it will be safe (I stick mine under my bed). When storing the drysuit, avoid areas that may have gas fumes like a garage or inside a covered boat.

5. Never drag your suit across the surface of a dock, boat, or anything else if you can prevent it, when pulling yourself up out of the water.

6. When taking off your drysuit, always put your fingers in the inside of the seals and gently stretch them to pull the seals over your limbs and neck...never just pull on the suit to get them off.

7. If you are wearing a wet suit under your dry suit, always wear sweats over your wet suit so that your cinch strap buckles do not rub on the inside sealant of your drysuit as it may wear it off and make the drysuit permeable over time.

8. When choosing what clothes you will wear under your drysuit, stay away from garments that have zippers, buckles or anything else that will rub on the inside surface of your drysuit.

kjohnson
03-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Is it a lot harder getting up on a slalom with a baggy vs. the neoprene type?

jkski
03-06-2008, 08:27 AM
I don't think so.

03-06-2008, 09:18 AM
OK, I have a BFI barefoot suit for the following reasons. As previously mentioned, the seals are very tight on them. and how is this a bad thing? uh....they seal out water. my dad had a drysuit with seals not as tight and it seeped water constantly. The seals are very thick and heavy duty and less prone to wear and damage. and I dont think they are expensive to replace. you can send your suit right to BFI and they will replace them professionaly. good as new. the other reason, is I ski in water temps in the high 30's to 50 degrees before I switch to my wetsuit. I wear fleece under it, and stay super dry and super warm. sure, deep water starts on slalom can be a bit tough with drag, but hey, its part of the deal with a baggy suit. if you need to stay warm, you need to get one. I just have heard accounts of people not liking quality of other styles and brands, and my dad's experience with his suit made me choose BFI. I wouldnt change for the world now that I have had it. I know Rockman, Erk, and that crew swear by the BFI suits too. they foot with them in winter. they are very durable. I just like the high quality factor. they seem to be put together far stronger than other suits.

JohnnyB
03-06-2008, 10:45 AM
I think it really depends on what exactly it is you are going to be doing with it and just how cold both the air and water will be.For slalom in relatively mild conditions of about 50 air and water I really like my Skiwarm Sahara neoprene suit. Not a lot of drag to have to deal with still allows good movement and is warm with just shorts and a t shirt under. I also like that it is easy to get on and off and the seals require less fuss than the rubber seals on the baggy. This suit is great for everything but footing. If you are going to foot or are in much colder conditions then the baggy might be worth the extra trouble and bulk.

I agree with Brain. I own a baggy dry suit. I love it for footin' but absolutely hate it for slalom. Lots of drag coming up on my slalom ski...difficult fit with high-wrap bindings.

I've been shopping for a used Oneil hybrid or Ski Warm Sahara neo to wear when I'm slaloming.

Hollywood
03-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Don't be afraid to use some lube getting the suit off as well, that's where I see a lot of people tear the seals. If you use dish soap rinse thoroughly. Store with the zipper OPEN.

flipper
03-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Close the zipper before you jump in though....did that once.:o

wakeX2wake
03-06-2008, 12:14 PM
ewwww.....

JohnnyB
03-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Close the zipper before you jump in though....did that once.:o

I did that once too....early November day in Wisconsin....the whole lake heard the explatives when the cold water rushed in and I scrambled to get back on the platform.

VTJC
03-06-2008, 01:51 PM
If you plan to just ski or wakeboard in it I recommend the O'neill Assault Hybrid. Previously I had a BFI Baggy, I agree it a well built suit. But I can ski allot better in the O'neill. I have a friend with a baggy suit, he barely uses it because of how it affects his skiing. Hybrid is also more versatile, you could use it dingy sailing…

Similar thread on Nichol’s Board if your looking for more opinions:
http://thewaterskiforum.com/cgi-bin/BBS/webbbs_config.pl?frames;read=41406

Jamie

kjohnson
03-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Just curious. How would the baggy suit affect skiing other than the extra drag coming up?

03-06-2008, 02:06 PM
alright, we've spent enough time on this drysuit stuff. he has enough info and opinions here to make a choice on one. We need to figure out wether Moses was a toker or not.

flipper
03-06-2008, 02:14 PM
alright, we've spent enough time on this drysuit stuff. he has enough info and opinions here to make a choice on one. We need to figure out wether Moses was a toker or not.
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

kjohnson
03-06-2008, 02:31 PM
You guys go ahead. I am not touching that discussion.

beatle78
03-06-2008, 03:04 PM
anyone ever try one of these dry suits?

It's seems like a pretty good deal.

http://www.wakezone.biz/WakeZone%20Dry%20Suits.htm

If I wasn't broke, I would have one on order so I could go wakeboarding next week :)

03-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Hey guys enough of this......the moses thread. please. we need to sovle that.