PDA

View Full Version : Replace Oil Pan

johny_Utah
03-04-2008, 08:58 PM
I have an oil leak that I thought was coming from the drain screw but it seems it is a bigger issue. Is there a manual to pull the motor? Disconecting the tranny and such. 89' prostar 351 indmar BW 1:51:1.

88 PS190
03-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Do you have a way to lift the engine?

Otherwise I'd have a mechanic do it, most engine lifts are not large enough to clear the side of the boat with the engine. So you need an overhead hoist to get the engine out.

If you have a hoist I would leave the transmission connected to the engine, I would disconnect the engine mount and transmission mount and hoist the engine up.

If you have only a boom lift, I would disconnect the engine mounts and loosen the transmission mount and swivel up enough to get access to the oil pan.

Either way you'll need to disconnect fuel lines etc. don't spill gas everywhere when you do.

JKTX21
03-04-2008, 09:59 PM
This was the first major repair I did on my '96 with a 350. The engine lift I used was big enough and we didn't have to lift from overhead. Didn't have to completely remove the motor, just pulled it up enough to get under there for the repair. If you can get away with it, hoist the transmission as well.

Be sure to use the right replacement part or have someone who knows what they are doing fix your current one.

rob935
03-06-2008, 02:56 PM
have a look underneath the engine as there may be enough clearance to remove the oil pan without having to hoist the engine , you may have to remove the bottom pulley /impellar housing to get it out tho ...just a thought.

denverd1
03-07-2008, 03:27 PM
kinda what I was thinking, rob. It's all blind, but maybe easier than lifting it.

rob935
03-08-2008, 07:14 PM
i had to do same job on a previous boat with a volvo penta with an outdrive had to pull the whole thing out as there was no clearance , what a night mare and costly experience too , it only took 5 mins to replace the oil pan when it was out tho. the m.c set up is alot easier and more accessible so if i were to pull the motor id leave the tranny on and remove the shaft , you probably only need to lift it a foot or 2 any way...!! best of luck with it .