PDA

View Full Version : 95 Prostar 205 - Water Question...

bamaboy
03-04-2008, 07:20 PM
I have never owned a direct drive boat before and I have a quick question about the about of water that enters the hull. What is typical. Should it remain bone dry after an hour of riding or should the pump stay on the entire time. Where is the water coming from? Is this a common occurence with a D/D boat. Example: I took the boat for less than a hour cruise Saturday and there was some water inside. We did not take on any water from the back, sides, or front. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this is confusing.

CarlosCabanas
03-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Water should be dripping in through the stuffing box. I'm not really sure what the spec. rates are but it is a drip. Do a search on the forum an you will come up with a lot of information. However. there are many other places that it is possible to bring on water. How much water do you have??

cbryan70
03-04-2008, 07:24 PM
The direct drive will take on some water from where the shaft goes through the hull. There is packing that you put in there to keep it to a minimum. How much water came in? was your bilge running the whole time or was it just a small puddle? Someone will beable to answer this much better but as my understanding there should be some water coming in. A couple drips a min? dont know how much but i know some should

peason
03-04-2008, 07:26 PM
how much water are we talking about? If you look under the floor where the shaft comes through the hull - the packing should drip once or twice every minute or so - I can't remember the number of drips per minute. If the packing is old - a lot more water can come in. This is the first thing I would look at. Your floor board should lift out to reveal this area of your bildge.

coz
03-04-2008, 07:37 PM
I have never owned a direct drive boat before and I have a quick question about the about of water that enters the hull. What is typical. Should it remain bone dry after an hour of riding or should the pump stay on the entire time. Where is the water coming from? Is this a common occurence with a D/D boat. Example: I took the boat for less than a hour cruise Saturday and there was some water inside. We did not take on any water from the back, sides, or front. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this is confusing.

My 1998 manual says 10-15 drops per minute is normal. If the water entry is excessive adjust the packing gland nut. :D

puck_11
03-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Check that your hose clamps are tight, they could be a source of water as well.

ShamrockIV
03-04-2008, 08:52 PM
seems liek u got a pretty good leak!! mine does not drip much at all, but the previous owner had a reg service done very year and the 100 hour done every other year no matter the hours so mine is flawless!!

TMCNo1
03-04-2008, 09:01 PM
This tutorial may assist you in understanding what a 'Stuffing Box' is and how to repack and maintain it, as it is usually the most logical source for water in the bilge, http://easttxskier.com/stuffingbox.html

André
03-04-2008, 09:07 PM
A loose rubrail could also take water when turning.
Easy to check...

ULMboarder
03-04-2008, 09:57 PM
yeah. i have this same question. i put mine in for about 2 hours the other day and i drove about 5 miles after i pulled the plug and water was still comin out. i never thought to check how much was in there. ill pay attention next time.

VTJC
03-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Have you looked at the motor while running? I had a leaky exhaust riser gasket for a few weeks this summer that I didn’t figure out until I ran the motor with the engine cover up. I drain a little water out the bilge each time I park on the lift, but the drier the better. Since I have a canopy on my lift I love that the boat is bone dry all summer. Jamie

coz
03-04-2008, 10:33 PM
yeah. i have this same question. i put mine in for about 2 hours the other day and i drove about 5 miles after i pulled the plug and water was still comin out. i never thought to check how much was in there. ill pay attention next time.

The bilge pump won't get it all out so you probably were letting out water the pump didn't get, then again you don't wan't gallons either. Next time out before you leave the dock/no wake zone lift the engine cover and check everything. I get little water in mine, the majority is cooler run off. :D

MarkL
03-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Cracked mufflers/silencers could be a water source.

mbtka
03-04-2008, 11:54 PM
In the 8 years that we owned our ps205, we never had an issue with water coming in.

russlars
03-05-2008, 02:27 AM
I can run my prostar 205 hard all day long and the bilge pump will never come on. My understanding is that a small puddle in the bilge is fairly normal, but much more than this probably represents one of the problems mentioned above. Good luck scoping out the problem!

CarlosCabanas
03-05-2008, 12:32 PM
If the boat is taking on water at rest a good way to test is pull it out, let the hull dry and then put some water in the bilge.... where it leaks in... it will leak out. I did this and found a couple of screws that were leaking... (raw water in take/strainer and a speedo mount). If it's taking on water while running... once again check all clamps and hoses with the engine running (follow the hose from the raw water intake all the way through the system)... watch those rotating parts!!

Carlos

flipper
03-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Mine use to get quite a bit of water from the rub rail at slower speeds. Fixed that and now just a little from the packing box.