PDA

View Full Version : Star Gazer ski rope

hokiecharlie
03-04-2008, 03:48 PM
I am planning on adding Star Gazer to my 2002 209 (no PP at all right now). I know that ski ropes are sold with an extra section for perfect pass (don't know why this is needed). Is the extra section also needed for the Star Gazer?

flipper
03-04-2008, 03:51 PM
I never knew this either, but check it out.

http://www.perfectpass.com/pp_support_seriousskiers.html

88 PS190
03-04-2008, 03:56 PM
You are refering to the "switch section"

There is a tool for perfect pass known as a "switch" it is literally an inline strain gauge, that when the rope is loaded closes the contact and forms a connection. This tells the unit that the skier is loading the line and tells it to increase the rpm.

A few years back these were more common in use, and I think are still very popular with certain skiers. They make the pull a bit harder in my opinion, I don't like to play dug'o'war with the boat so I prefer not getting extra engine when on edge, but i also don't have trouble staying with in time.

These switch sections are also used by jumpers who like getting the additional oomph through their edge.

I do not know if star gazer uses a switch or not, but you probably will not be using one anyway. So go either way.

edit: good link

wakeX2wake
03-04-2008, 03:58 PM
I've seen that before but it was only used for jumping... the guys on Auburn's ski team had it dialed in on the slalom course w/o out the tension link... (it is my understanding that the tension on the rope coupled with the speedo signal the perfect pass to throttle the boat up or down)... don't see the need for rec skiing or for running deep on a slalom course unless you're planning on making a run at some world records

88 PS190
03-04-2008, 04:01 PM
don't see the need for rec skiing or for running deep on a slalom course unless you're planning on making a run at some world records

Even then, you don't see record holders running switches either. There are other ways to compensate for the times.

east tx skier
03-04-2008, 04:02 PM
In GPS slalom mode, the switch is no longer an option. It is, I believe, still used for jump mode.

Stargazer comes with a "Classic Slalom" mode, so conceivably, you could use the switch. However, I seem to recall noticing that there is no longer a switch input on the master module. Maybe I just missed it as it ought to be there for jump.

That's a long way to say you don't need it except for jump.

wakeX2wake
03-04-2008, 04:05 PM
yup... have a boat driver that's driven enough to be able to counter steer to keep the boat straight to keep the time right... best method i've seen... I will have to say though that perfect pass is the best thing to happen to wake boats since bouyancy... ski boats its almost fun to try to drive the boat better than the skier skis the course... it was for me in my limited experience driving a course

88 PS190
03-04-2008, 04:08 PM
At the level that professional slalom skiers are running the drivers have to keep it super straight to not deviate too much from the center anyway and so they all must countersteer, and with those hits some of the guys hold on short line I'm amazed they can keep to tolerance.