PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Starting Problem

jaxrider
03-04-2008, 11:01 AM
I am hoping that someone can give me a little direction on this problem I am having with my boat. First it is an 04 X2 with the MXC motor. The issue I am having is the boat will not crank. Now I must attempt to describe the not cranking issue. When the key is turned the boat will try to crank but it sounds weak. The motor turns with the key engaged but it will not run on its own.

To date I have done the following:
Checked the fuel pressure-fine
Replaced the plugs
Replaced the distributor cap and rotor
Replaced the ignition coil
Replaced the ignition control unit
Replaced the alternator
Checked all of the grounds
Had the computer tested- all is fine no codes
The kill switch has not been checked because it is my understanding that I would not be getting a spark from the plugs.

I have four batteries in the boat that are used for stereo and cranking.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am all out of ideas?

It is getting boat season here and I need to get my boat working quick.

TMCNo1
03-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Check the kill switch. Bypass it and see if it will run, but first, take the clip off the switch and reinstall it a couple times, then try to crank it, or spin the clip on the switch also and see if contact is made. I learned the hard way!

east tx skier
03-04-2008, 11:32 AM
If you determine it isn't the kill switch (typical culprit), check to see that all the wires are connected on the back of the keyed ignition. I had a problem with my boat where it would crank, hit, and die and a loose wire on the other side of the keyed ignition end of things was the culprit.

jaxrider
03-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try those when I get home.

Hunterb
03-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm not clear on the 'not cranking' issue. Does the motor spin quickly when you turn the key, but just not fire, or does in turn slowly? You say it sounds 'weak' but I'm not sure what thay means. If it turns slowly then it may be a battery or starter issue. If it spins quickly but won't fire then it would most likely be a spark or fuel issue. Have you checked to see if the plugs are firing when you engage the starter? Can you smell raw fuel at the exhaust? It sounds like you've replaced a bunch of stuff already but you need to make sure it has fuel and spark as a starting point.

Good luck with it. Make sure you post back with the results when you figure it out.

Bruce

Romanod
03-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Check your grounding points on the battery, engine and starter. A ohm meter from radio shack works. You may have a starting resistor on the engine block that has gone bad.

Hollywood
03-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Well if you're supposedly getting spark and fuel, there is only one thing left you're missing. Put in a fresh battery to get that thing spinning and you should be running.

TMCNo1
03-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Well if you're supposedly getting spark and fuel, there is only one thing left you're missing. Put in a fresh battery to get that thing spinning and you should be running.

[quote=jaxrider]I have four batteries in the boat that are used for stereo and cranking. [quote]

What are the chances all 4 batteries are bad at one time?

lanier92prostar
03-05-2008, 10:46 AM
I vote for the kill switch. I have had it happen twice!! When mine happened, all accessories worked, the motor would turn over but no start. Sounds like the same symptoms as mine. Bypass the kill switch as others have said to see if it is the culprit.

jaxrider
03-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I plan on trying a few things after work this evening. As for the weak cranking I will try to explain it a little better.

When you turn the key the boat tries to crank as normal. If you could put the sound of a normal motor cranking to a number value and 10 is a motor cranking I would rate my motor at an 8.5. It has the battery power to turn the motor but the motor itself will not turn over on its own and run. It will only turn at a cranking pace when the key is forcing the motor to crank.

I have had my local MC Mechanic over to my house several times and he is stumped as well. He has even called other MC guys around the area for help and they also can not figure out the problem. He is going to call Indmar today to see if they can help with the trouble shooting but for now I am just trying to get as much input and suggestions as possible.

It is driving me nuts and I am sure it is something small at this point that will cause me to feel really dumb when it is fixed.

mrprostar
03-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm sure if an MC mechanic looked at it its not something as simple as a bad battery or bad plugs (unless he's not the brightest bulb in the box).

Prostar Rich
03-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I plan on trying a few things after work this evening. As for the weak cranking I will try to explain it a little better.

When you turn the key the boat tries to crank as normal. If you could put the sound of a normal motor cranking to a number value and 10 is a motor cranking I would rate my motor at an 8.5. It has the battery power to turn the motor but the motor itself will not turn over on its own and run. It will only turn at a cranking pace when the key is forcing the motor to crank.

I have had my local MC Mechanic over to my house several times and he is stumped as well. He has even called other MC guys around the area for help and they also can not figure out the problem. He is going to call Indmar today to see if they can help with the trouble shooting but for now I am just trying to get as much input and suggestions as possible.

It is driving me nuts and I am sure it is something small at this point that will cause me to feel really dumb when it is fixed.

Are you certain about the fuel pressure? Could be a fuel pump issue.

Prostar Rich

TMCNo1
03-05-2008, 11:15 AM

I had the same situation and for 3 weeks my mechanic was stumped. We asked everyone for advise, no luck. Everything worked, would crank and run only in the start position of the ignition switch, but when I let the key go to the run position, it would cut off. June 2004, I made a 8:30am appointment for a Monday at the dealer in Marietta, Ga that I bought my boat from 15 years before, took it down there on Sunday, 386 miles and in less than 20 minutes he had it running because the kill switch was bad. $20 labor, $5 shop supplies, $15 Kill Switch and a pair of spare Bearing Buddies was $83.33, then drove home Tuesday. I felt like a fool, cause that was something we had never even considered and nobody ever told us to check it, but now I know! That was the only time the boat has ever been back to the dealer in it's life in 19 years.

Prostar Rich
03-05-2008, 11:21 AM
I had the same situation and for 3 weeks my mechanic was stumped. We asked everyone for advise, no luck. Everything worked, would crank and run only in the start position of the ignition switch, but when I let the key go to the run position, it would cut off. June 2004, I made a 8:30am appointment for a Monday at the dealer in Marietta, Ga that I bought my boat from, took it down there on Sunday, 386 miles and in less than 20 minutes he had it running because the kill switch was bad, $20 labor, $5 shop supplies, $15 Kill Switch and a pair of spare Bearing Buddies was $83.33, then drove home Tuesday. I felt like a fool, cause that was something we had never even considered and nobody ever told us to check it, but now I know!

Simple enough. Just override the kill switch and try to start the boat.

Prostar Rich

Hunterb
03-05-2008, 01:37 PM
So it sounds like it's spinning fast enough to start but it doesn't fire. You've got to find out if you have a good spark when cranking. Is there a possibility that the timing has been messed up? It may be possible to put a light on it and check the timing while cranking, even without the motor running. Have you tried bypassing the kill switch? In my experience this type of problem almost always turns out to be a fairly simple electrical issue.

Good luck.

Bruce

KHall
03-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Vote for the Kill Switch.

Then basically check for spark and fuel.

flipper
03-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Another vote for the kill switch. Sounds just like what happened on my friends boat.

JimN
03-05-2008, 09:36 PM
jaxrider- using the shotgun method to diagnose a no-run issue is expensive and a waste of money. This is a GM motor and it's not rocket surgery. If your dealer can't find the problem(s), they need to go to service training. This is pretty basic if they really know the system.

Some terms need to be agreed on- it cranks when the starter engages and turns the motor over, but it won't run, which means the fuel, spark and control all combine to keep it going.

That said, the kill switch won't have an effect on the cranking speed. If it's an issue with the speed that the starter turns the motor over, none of what was checked except the grounds matters. It it's just a matter of not firing, that's usually not that hard to find, but whoever is checking it out needs to understand the ignition system.

Are the cylinders getting gas while it cranks? That's easy enough to check- pull a plug and it if smells of gas and some sprays out, it is, or a 'noid light' can be used to make sure the ECM is trying to fire the injectors. Did you check for spark? I don't see anything about that. If you have no spark, the rest is moot, so I would recommend using a timing light.

If there's no spark, use a digital multi-meter to check the voltage on the Ref Hi wire (purple/white), going to the IC module. If that has no voltage or is out of range, it won't run. If the gauges don't move when the key is turned on, the kill switch isn't engaging, and that would be the problem.

Aric'sX15
03-05-2008, 10:04 PM
What do you mean by wont run on its own?