PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day

tall_ andy
03-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Well my wife and I made the decision today......We are going to put the MC up for sale in April :mad: Two young children, and not too many people to drive for us. The good news is we plan on getting another one in 5-8 years once the boys are a little older.:D
I will list it in the market place, but if anyone knows someone looking for an older model Pro Star(88) around NJ please PM me

2RLAKE
03-03-2008, 09:41 PM
dont do it ... I've had the kids on the boats since 3 months ... 7 & 9 now and they cant wait to start skiing again this spring ... will be some terrific memories for them. Don't keep the boat for yourself, keep it for the kids. These are the sacrifices we dads have to make for the kids. Heck, I really sacrificed a lot last year and bought them a new X14

Do it for the kids Tall Andy ... for the kids for god sake

erkoehler
03-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Keep the boat, it won't be long before your kids are asking you to take them to the lake!

I grew up skiing, tubing, knee boarding (back in the day), and learning to barefoot. Most fun that I have ever had spending full summer days at the lake house. We wouldn't set foot in the cabins from 9am-6pm!

east tx skier
03-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Had my little one on the boat at 3 weeks old. Boat was one of his first word. He loves nothing more than to hit the lake. He's very good at convincing his mother for me. Keep the 88. I know it takes more effort to get to the water with the kiddos, but for us, I wouldn't trade these memories for the world. Just my $02.

6ballsisall
03-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Don't do it brutha! We had our first born in our boat at a week old! She's two today and always asking me about "Daddy's Boat" Too bad I don't have one to take her out on. :(

erkoehler
03-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Don't do it brutha! We had our first born in our boat at a week old! She's two today and always asking me about "Daddy's Boat" Too bad I don't have one to take her out on. :(

You should change that :)

6ballsisall
03-03-2008, 09:58 PM
You should change that :)

HOw did I know you'd be on here waiting to pounce on that one..........:rolleyes: Soon enough brutha, soon enough.....

pkskier
03-03-2008, 09:59 PM
The kids are no reason to sell your boat, we didn't buy our MasterCraft until our daughter was 5 months old. She is 20 now and basically grew up in the boat. Friends of ours had twins 7 years ago and their girls can't wait for summer to get here so they can go skiing behind their 205V.

erkoehler
03-03-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm not saying, I'm just sayin!

6ballsisall
03-03-2008, 10:04 PM

Bite your lip BOYEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!:mad:

erkoehler
03-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Bite your lip BOYEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Its still online!

flipper
03-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Start them while their young....another vote for don't do it.

BrianM
03-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Jeff that one has your name on it :cool:

erkoehler
03-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Jeff that one has your name on it :cool:

I try to help the guy out, and get NOTHING! I think he is doomed to be boatless........

T Scott
03-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Come on Jeff....I have this one for sale.....$12,500 and it's yours! :D

erkoehler
03-03-2008, 11:16 PM
T Scott....How is that thing? I've looked at it a few times.....what is the overall condition?

6ballsisall
03-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Give me 45 days fellas......:rolleyes:

lanier92prostar
03-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Jrandol, you will need to keep it near my house when you buy it. Near 2 of the 5 ramps open on Lanier!

russlars
03-03-2008, 11:47 PM
I must agree with what everyone else has said here. If you sell your boat you will miss out on some of your greatest boating memories with the kids! Look at it this way, your boat is probably paid for, even if you don't use it as much for the next couple years, keep it in good shape and then you won't have such a big investment to get back into the sport all over again. And in the meantime, the kids will get hooked on the sport and never want to stray from it!:twocents:

lanier92prostar
03-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Tall Andy, I had a friend who sold his MC about 10 years ago to help pay for new furniture for their house because their first child was on the way. He still goes to the lake sometime in my boat because he still doesn't have one. If it is paid for, I vote to keep it. We had a couple of years when my kids were little that we didn't use ours much, but I am glad I didn't sell it.

TMCNo1
03-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Keep it if you can, your children will love you for it!

coz
03-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Well my wife and I made the decision today......We are going to put the MC up for sale in April :mad: Two young children, and not too many people to drive for us. The good news is we plan on getting another one in 5-8 years once the boys are a little older.:D
I will list it in the market place, but if anyone knows someone looking for an older model Pro Star(88) around NJ please PM me

I had boats before the kids came into the picture so they grew up on them. They learned at a young age how to operate the boat and in Arizona you only have to be 12 years old to operate a boat or watercraft so now my boys are 17 & 15 and I have been letting them pull me since they were 13, a little scary at first but now I have full cinfidence in them. My daughter turns 13 this month I she's a great driver too (not to pull me yet though). If it isn't a financial burden keep the boat and teach the kids young and then you don't have to go looking for a driver and observer you have them right there. :D

chudson
03-04-2008, 08:23 AM
There are just not many stories my kids and I share back and forth with each other that doesn't have a MasterCraft memory in it. My wife and I visited my niece near Seatle this last summer and she had a cookout with a bunch of her friends and they all knew me as Uncle Cec with the MasterCraft, not the boat or not the ski boat it was Uncle Cec with the MasterCraft. These kids all new what a MC was mostly because of stories my niece told them. My Mom ands Dad owned a place on a lake and almost the whole family was always there on the weekends so all my nieces and nephews and their friends learned to ski behind Uncle Cec's MasterCraft. Then my two came along and they and alot of there friends learned to ski behind the MasterCraft. I am suggesting to you to do what ever you have to to keep that boat, our boat has been such a huge part of my family and all of our memories I just can't explain. I could keep going but I may have gone on to much already but don't get rid of the boat, "you'll never regret it"!!!

Monte
03-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Don't sell if you can help it.. Wait until the video games hit. You'll say my kids will never sit in front of the TV all day. Yes they will. Unless you have something you can do as a family that excites them they'll sit there and whine about all the boring stuff mom and dad like to do. With a boat, they WANT to go, the WANT to be active. I bought mine to unstick my son from the computer and the TV. My kids are 2 and 8. Both of the love to ge out on the lake. It "forces us" to get out together as a family, some observing nature, some horsing around, and some rides for sissy, brother, mom and dad. Those times are truely what I live for.

If you can help it at all don't sell... it will become priceless soon enough.

TMCNo1
03-04-2008, 10:16 AM
I just realized we bought our first boat when our daughter was 4 years old and she and we adapted well. We quickly learned a short day on the lake with the family doing nothing, is better than a long day without a boat trying to find something to do. We were also chasing and helping on a race car on weekend nights and found out a boat payment every month for a year was cheaper than NASCAR license and pit passes for me, grandstand admission for Lynn and Traci 2 to 3 nights a week, plus travel expenses for 8 months of the year. I also spend at least 2 nights a week at the racecar shop repairing body damage, replacing engines, rearends, suspension pieces on someone elses ego trip. We decided we'd go boating instead.

Muttley
03-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Some of our greatest family memories involve the boat. To me, having the kids is a reason to keep it, not to get rid of it! Our daughter has been spotting since she was two. the son started kneeboarding since he was 7 when I bought my first boat.

We'll even forgive you for tubing and kneeboarding! ;)

coz
03-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I just realized we bought our first boat when our daughter was 4 years old and she and we adapted well. We quickly learned a short day on the lake with the family doing nothing, is better than a long day without a boat trying to find something to do. We were also chasing and helping on a race car on weekend nights and found out a boat payment every month for a year was cheaper than NASCAR license and pit passes for me, grandstand admission for Lynn and Traci 2 to 3 nights a week, plus travel expenses for 8 months of the year. I also spend at least 2 nights a week at the racecar shop repairing body damage, replacing engines, rearends, suspension pieces on someone elses ego trip. We decided we'd go boating instead.

I'm with ya TMCNo1, I grew up at the sprint car races at old Ascot raceway in Gardena, Ca and my family was into buggies & dirtbikes with alot of the racers and there families. I carried on the dirtbike tradition with my kids but I can honestly say the best times have involved the boat and still do. :D

Ric
03-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Tough decision huh andy? I just went through it too.

I am not blaming it on the kids either but the truth is, we are not using the boat. IMO RV's that don't get used, need to get sold while they are worth something... Buy another one when you will use it.

Prostar Rich
03-04-2008, 11:01 AM
If you have a place to store the boat that isn't costing $$ I would reconsider keeping it. A 1988 model is not going to fetch a lot of money as compared to what it will cost you to get back into the boating game.

Prostar Rich

BrandonKTM
03-04-2008, 11:05 AM
A MC is NOT an RV! Blasphemy here on TMC. If its paid for, keep the boat. I have had mine since '85 before I got married. Now two kids 14 and 16 and they love the boat. They go down to the lake after work or practice with their friends. I pay the gas. Better on the lake than the mall, or getting in trouble with drugs or ? I paid about 12k for my boat and another 1600 for the trailer. Best investment I ever made. Still worth 1/2 of that and I used it for 20+ years. No RV ever did that.

Ric
03-04-2008, 11:15 AM
A MC is NOT an RV! Blasphemy here on TMC. If its paid for, keep the boat. I have had mine since '85 before I got married. Now two kids 14 and 16 and they love the boat. They go down to the lake after work or practice with their friends. I pay the gas. Better on the lake than the mall, or getting in trouble with drugs or ? I paid about 12k for my boat and another 1600 for the trailer. Best investment I ever made. Still worth 1/2 of that and I used it for 20+ years. No RV ever did that. I think you're missing my point. It's not getting used. It's not gaining value. It's just sitting there. Let somebody else enjoy it. I wouldn't keep it just to look at it. Skiing is a great family time. No doubt about it. OH and I will be back.

TMCNo1
03-04-2008, 11:52 AM
I think you're missing my point. It's not getting used. It's not gaining value. It's just sitting there. Let somebody else enjoy it. I wouldn't keep it just to look at it. Skiing is a great family time. No doubt about it. OH and I will be back.

Is it maternity leave your hiding??????????:confused: :rolleyes: :D

76S&S
03-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Here's one more vote for keeping it, especially if it is paid for.

We kept ours through our twins early years and eventually upgraged as the boys interest grew.

If you like your boat, keep it. If you would be looking to trade, then you MIGHT sell now and buy later. Just know that the funds from selling now won't be available when it is time to purchase again. Money always seems to dissapear, at least at our house it does......

Ric
03-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Is it maternity leave your hiding??????????:confused: :rolleyes: :D No, I am showing for sure #1

wakeX2wake
03-04-2008, 03:38 PM
it's a sad day to see a MC boat sold and a newer one not put in it's place... i understand a man has to do what a man has to do... but i've always heard live life w/ no regrets

tall_ andy
03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Thank you all for the support and votes not to sell, but as many have stated at this point the boat has been in storage for 2 years, and I'd rather let someone else who will use it and enjoy it have fun with it. I will without question have both of the boys on the water by the time they are 7-8 if not sooner behind friends boats. The other issue is our storage facility(a friends basement garage very nice and heated) is about to become part of a play room for their baby that is on the way

ShamrockIV
03-04-2008, 04:26 PM
look at my pics. i take four young kids to the lake every weekend. they are coutning the days till summer!!!

Hammer
03-04-2008, 04:31 PM
I say keep it. Bought my MC in 02. Had my first kid in 03. Another in 05, then the last in 06. (I know, I know). Agreed I don't get the use out of it I used to but it is getting better. And as the kids grow I want boating to be a part of it. I grew up on the water and I like how I turned out!:D SO KEEP IT AND USE IT.

JohnE
03-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Another vote here for keeping it. Your boat is going to depreciate little to none. Ric's boat at 3 years old will still depreciate. Actually based on what he paid, it eventually will start to depreciate.

But you need to decide what is best for you and your family....

east tx skier
03-04-2008, 04:44 PM
I say keep it. Bought my MC in 02. Had my first kid in 03. Another in 05, then the last in 06. (I know, I know). Agreed I don't get the use out of it I used to but it is getting better. And as the kids grow I want boating to be a part of it. I grew up on the water and I like how I turned out!:D SO KEEP IT AND USE IT.

+1 ...................

Thrall
03-04-2008, 04:46 PM
If you're truly unable to use the boat or be able to store it, then, yeah, it's too bad, sorry to see it go.
But if it's because the "kids are too little", then I'll chime in w/ the rest here and say that it's not that difficult to take the kids with.
Had our youngest out at 1yr old (when we bought the boat), and our 18 mo old has been out on the boat since 6 weeks old. Hell, at that age, they're the easist, just throw them in the carseat and put a blanket over them to keep teh sun off.
Now this yr, they'll be 5 and 2 and both are totally hooked. They have learned how to behave when me or my wife is skiing/boarding (no spotter req in NM).
Moving to CO this yr, up in the mtns, so there will be lots to do in the summer, but still will have the MC out a few times!

D3skier
03-04-2008, 04:58 PM
we had our little one out at CSM '07 last year at 8 months even though it was a dreary day and raining on the lake she did just fine....

Jerseydave
03-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Hey Andy long time no talk!

So you have 2 kids now, great! Hope all is well.

Send me a PM and I'll send you my e-mail address so you can give me details and pictures about the boat. You can also post if for sale here:
www.wakeboardnj.com

In case you didn't know, there is a new MC dealer on Lake Hopatcong. Maybe he can help move it for you. www.flashmarina.com (Ask for Kurt the owner, tell him you know me)

Feel free to give me a call ANYTIME to go skiing/boarding. I've got an '05 X-star now and I hang with some others with boats on the Delaware river in Bordentown. Great bunch of people. One guy had a prostar 205 (great ski boat) and another guy has an X-1.

Give my best to the family! :D

-Dave