PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat issues?

wireman
03-03-2008, 03:16 PM
I just bought my first MC last week,an 07' X2. When I got it home I spent a couple of hours buffing and waxing it and noticed it had a few minor scratches in it. I spoke to my sales person about it and he said no problem they will take care if it. He just wanted me to take note of where they are so it can all be taken care of. So I went out to my shop to take some notes of the scratches and I started to notice a few spots in the gelcoat that seem to be little tiny air pockets. I can't feel any bumps but when I can see them. I haven't talked to the dealer about this yet, But I was wondering if any of you have had this on your gelcaot? Also, these spots are all above the waterline. Thanks for any input.

wakeX2wake
03-03-2008, 03:48 PM
I have actually seen that in a gelcoat repair I had done on my '93 Maristar but it was extremely minor. I bought my x2 from a guy who put some extremely minor scratches on it and I talked to my dealer about it and from what I understand if it's metal flake you can all but hang up a seamless repair unless they re-do the entire boat. Just a word of caution. Thankfully most of the scratches are on the switch graphic so if it bugs me too bad this year I can just replace that.

wakeX2wake
03-03-2008, 03:48 PM
I have actually seen that in a gelcoat repair I had done on my '93 Maristar but it was extremely minor. I bought my x2 from a guy who put some extremely minor scratches on it and I talked to my dealer about it and from what I understand if it's metal flake you can all but hang up a seamless repair unless they re-do the entire boat. Just a word of caution. Thankfully most of the scratches are on the switch graphic so if it bugs me too bad this year I can just replace that.

tr6coug
03-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Any pictures?

I have an '07 X2 and don't have any air pockets like you mentioned. I did have a void in the gelcoat about the size of a nickel on the edge of the step in the hull. The dealer fixed that and it looks perfect.

If you can't feel a bump over the bubble and its not too noticeable, I'd leave it alone. Also, if you want to try to fix the scratches your self, get some 3M Finesse-it 2 polish. Hand-polish the scratch until you can't see it, then go over it with some wax. I've found that takes to majority of minor surface scratches out.

corey
03-03-2008, 04:52 PM
It sounds like there is a little porosity in the gel. These were very small air bubbles that formed when the gel was curing. To the best of my knowledge there is not much that can be done aside from taking it to an excellent gel coat repair.

I've not seen porosity cause any long term problems, but have your dealer check it out if your worried.

Roonie's
03-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Any pictures?

I have an '07 X2 and don't have any air pockets like you mentioned. I did have a void in the gelcoat about the size of a nickel on the edge of the step in the hull. The dealer fixed that and it looks perfect.

No kidding.... me too on my 07 X2. Must have been made the same time. It was the size of a nickel right at the step of the hull and all you could see was black. My finger went into it about a fingernail length. It was a missed spot when they did the fiberglass mold and the gel coat just skimmed over it. It was a void in the gel coat. Dealer fixed it and it looks perfect now.

No air pockets on mine however like the original poster is asking about.