PDA

View Full Version : Boat storage? under the house?

Gonzo
03-03-2008, 01:51 PM
I am building a house that is pretty high on one side. While I dont have a boat now I am trying to plan ahead. I have made plans to put a single garage door on the high side so I can back a boat in there. Other then letting the boat dry out before I store it are there any hazards to this?

thanks

lanier92prostar
03-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Pictures would help. I just let mine sit outside until it is dry before I put it in the garage. I usually take everything out, but don't do anything special. Being in the garage, I don't usually cover it in the summer.

TMCNo1
03-03-2008, 02:13 PM
We keep ours in the basement and have never had any problems, but it is heated and A/C'd. If yours won't be, then a good dehumidifier will just about be a must. When we back ours in the basement all the water has been wiped off everywhere, but there may be some moisture left in the bunk carpet and it's gone the next day.
One thing that helps in our case, is the driveway is on a incline and about 90% of the water in the trailer bunk carpet drains out the ends of the bunks. While the trailer is draining, all the clean up is done and the sun has dried everything out.

Gonzo
03-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks #1, thats great advice, I would not have thought about the trailer I was only thinking of the interior carpet and the boat itself. This will help keep midew down.

Jerseydave
03-03-2008, 02:53 PM
What model MC are you buying? Keep in mind garage door height, the taller the better. You'll want at least an 8ft door for any wake-boat with the tower folded. I have a 12ft door on my garage so I don't have to fold the tower.

I would install a couple ceiling fans to help dry everything out after using the boat. Don't cover the boat unless it's totally dry inside. (I usually wait an extra day to cover mine, and I only use a blue tarp on the boat inside the garage to keep some dust off it)

Prostar Rich
03-03-2008, 03:13 PM
I would install a couple ceiling fans to help dry everything out after using the boat. Don't cover the boat unless it's totally dry inside. (I usually wait an extra day to cover mine, and I only use a blue tarp on the boat inside the garage to keep some dust off it)[/QUOTE]

Very good point on the ceiling fans!

Prostar Rich

stuartmcnair
03-03-2008, 04:08 PM
We keep ours in the basement and have never had any problems, but it is heated and A/C'd. If yours won't be, then a good dehumidifier will just about be a must. When we back ours in the basement all the water has been wiped off everywhere, but there may be some moisture left in the bunk carpet and it's gone the next day.
One thing that helps in our case, is the driveway is on a incline and about 90% of the water in the trailer bunk carpet drains out the ends of the bunks. While the trailer is draining, all the clean up is done and the sun has dried everything out.

Threadjack...Harold, what is the silver thing on the back right side of the boat?

Prostar Rich
03-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Threadjack...Harold, what is the silver thing on the back right side of the boat?

Looks like duct tape.

Prostar Rich

wakeX2wake
03-03-2008, 04:27 PM
i keep mine in a storage unit type building and I don't see the basement being much different other than the chance for mildew would be a little higher but that can be over come with air circulation... if i'm not going to be on the water for a day on the weekend (which is rare) and i'm home i will have pull mine to the house and sit in the sun all day to make sure it's completely dry before i leave it put up for more than a few days

06' X-2 R8R H8R
03-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Other than the house falling on it.....I see no proplem.

88 PS190
03-03-2008, 04:53 PM
How will the area be enclosed on the sides and floor.

Are you going onto a dirt floor or concrete?

Walls will be concrete? Above ground and framed in walls?

russlars
03-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Another thing to consider is garage door width. If you have a straight back into it, a standard size (I think that is 9 or 10 feet) is okay. However, if you have to turn the boat at all you may want to consider a wider opening to allow clearance on either side of the boat. Just look at the "garage" thread and you will see what I am talking about.:twocents:

Hammer
03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Its mostly a dirt floor (covered w/6mil) parking area most likely gravel (unless he find the money tree. Walls are brick and block but the majority will be framed up. Thinking a couple foundation fans may be in order. Thinking a 10 (wide) by 7 (high) shoiuld work. He's looking at a 190 no tower.

TMCNo1
03-03-2008, 05:03 PM

If your talking about to the lower right of the stern light base,
Same as what's on the valve cover,
http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/new/gdbacktopic.gifThreadjack over!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-03-2008, 05:19 PM
I am building a house that is pretty high on one side. While I dont have a boat now I am trying to plan ahead. I have made plans to put a single garage door on the high side so I can back a boat in there. Other then letting the boat dry out before I store it are there any hazards to this?

thanks
Do I understand this correctly? You will be letting the boat drain "into" the garage it's going to sit? Are there floor drains where the water with drain to?

Make plans for some (ceiling) fans and ventilation.
Door opening minimum 10' wide and 8' high.

roddydog
03-03-2008, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=TMCNo1]If your talking about to the lower right of the stern light base,(QUOTE=TMCNo!)

My goodness that has to be the most amazing engine I have ever seen.
You could cook a meal on it and then eat it with no worries of ANY kind of contamination from dirt or oil or dust or microbes:D

Is that a Stainless Steel prop. Harold??

JohnE
03-03-2008, 05:34 PM
If your "garage" is under the house, or has any common walls/ ceiling, you will need to have it sheetrocked with 5/8 most likely, depending on local building codes....

Workin' 4 Toys
03-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Two layers of Type X required here (If common to living space)

TMCNo1
03-03-2008, 05:56 PM
[quote=TMCNo1]If your talking about to the lower right of the stern light base,(QUOTE=TMCNo!)

My goodness that has to be the most amazing engine I have ever seen.
You could cook a meal on it and then eat it with no worries of ANY kind of contamination from dirt or oil or dust or microbes:D

Is that a Stainless Steel prop. Harold??

Yes, and touched up by my polishing man prior to installing 4 years ago!
http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/new/gdbacktopic.gifSorry, we keep threadjacking this guys thread!

Gonzo
03-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Its mostly a dirt floor (covered w/6mil) parking area most likely gravel (unless he find the money tree. Walls are brick and block but the majority will be framed up. Thinking a couple foundation fans may be in order. Thinking a 10 (wide) by 7 (high) shoiuld work. He's looking at a 190 no tower.

Bingo, see above note from my builder. Basically it will be dried outside and then parked in the crawl space when its not going out for a couple of days.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Shoving a boat into a dirt floor crawlspace for storage sounds like mold, mildew, and rust headaches to me.

Hammer
03-04-2008, 04:39 PM
It will have walls up around it. But we are looking at a gravel floor.

WESSTAR
03-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Puting down a layer of rock would help keep the dust down and muddy feet.

JohnE
03-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Why not pour a concrete floor? For a one bay garage it wouldn't cost all that much.

Gonzo
03-04-2008, 09:55 PM
the pad would come, my guess is within a yr or two.... money is tight enough buildng a new house, buying a boat etc... etc... The crawl idea came from the garage being just a hair short (19.5)

JohnE
03-04-2008, 10:04 PM
the pad would come, my guess is within a yr or two.... money is tight enough buildng a new house, buying a boat etc... etc... The crawl idea came from the garage being just a hair short (19.5)

Understandable. So spread some crushed stone on top of the gravel to keep it clean as someone else said. Then pour the 'crete on top when you get the money.

quincyfirefighter
03-04-2008, 10:26 PM
One more thing to think about is make sure if you are going to heat this space that you use a Direct Vent system of some sort. Remember about gas fumes from you gas tank vents. Have seen with my own eyes what can happen. NOT GOOD ;)

Gonzo
03-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks Q but I think a fan to help with moisture will be enough, I am not worried about heating. I will still winterize.

SunCoast 83
03-09-2008, 03:18 AM
Harold has the most amazing boat I've ever seen!....He has truly set the benchmark for what Im trying to acheive w/ an 83. Just gotta start on my teak now. Sorry Harold, anytime you post a pic of that beauty online, its bound to start a threadjack :)