PDA

View Full Version : Flippin' Fishermen

sand2snow22
03-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Nice day today, wife is throwing a bridal shower so I get to take off! I head to a popular park/boat ramp to enjoy the sunshine. It's somewhat full. There are rows of trucks with fishing boat trailers (the salmon are running) I always like to park away from other vehicles so I head to the end of one of the rows where there are two spots for compact cars. The one on the end is taken. So I park in the other one. It's next to a truck and trailer, but I made sure he has plenty of room to get out. Plus, I wasn't going to be there that long.

Well, get back to the car and notice the truck and trailer next to me hit me on the way out. Could have been a lot worse, most of it will buff out, but some of the sheet metal is dented. No note or anything. He knew he was close, so I bet he knew he hit me!! Just doing his job in keeping the rift between fishermen and wakeboarders/skiers going! It's ON like Donkey Kong.

Any insurance guys out there? Will this be considered an uninsured motorist claim? Will I have to pay my deductible? Should I just come out of pocket? Thanks:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/bryanmclean18/DSC05380.jpg

Covi
03-02-2008, 08:53 PM
That Sucks!!!!!!!!

roddydog
03-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Suck it up!!

What's your deductible?? Is it worth it?? I doubt it.

Don't park so close next time, the guy coulda been an avid skier who just likes fishin' when the salmon are runnin'.

Of course he could also be an "A" hole but who knows.

sand2snow22
03-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Don't park so close next time, the guy coulda been an avid skier who just likes fishin' when the salmon are runnin'.

My point is that I didn't park close!! He had plenty of room to clear me and when I pulled in and when I left nobody there was nobody on the other side of him. He could have even just drove forward to get out! Instead he brushed up against me and I have a hard time believing he didn't know it.

I really don't have anything against fishermen. I love fishing for salmon and steelhead:)

Deductible is $500, but if I'm reading right, nothing for uninsured motorist.

TMCNo1
03-03-2008, 12:32 AM
My point is that I didn't park close!! He had plenty of room to clear me and when I pulled in and when I left nobody there was nobody on the other side of him. He could have even just drove forward to get out! Instead he brushed up against me and I have a hard time believing he didn't know it.

I really don't have anything against fishermen. I love fishing for salmon and steelhead:)

Deductible is $500, but if I'm reading right, nothing for uninsured motorist.

I would think it would be treated like a hit and run vs uninsured. Only uninsured if you can prove or the authorities can prove that he had no insurance, which is not the case. I imagine a police accident report would have to have been written in that case.
Unless you have the pocket money to have it repaired, file it with your insurance co., have it repaired, pay your deductable, insurance pays the rest, then you wait for your rates to go up. It's happened to us twice, but either way it's a lose/lose situation for you.

h2oskifreak
03-03-2008, 01:51 AM
Insurance companies suck. They have everyone (and rightfully so) so scared to file a claim, they have got to be making out like the bandits they are. Ins. is such a scam, I know you have to have it in case something major happens, but what other business do you know that has mandatory participation and no risk of loosing money. If the projections don't look good, simple ..just raise the rates. I had a sm. accident years ago, hit a off duty state patrol, did nothing to his beater, Of course he reported it and I paid 3 x's in rate increases what they paid to fix my car that I was prepared to pay for myself. That's what they want, you to be scared to report or claim anything. What are you really paying for? Catastrophic coverage is what.

Prostar Rich
03-03-2008, 10:15 AM
You will probably find it will be advantageous to pay out of pocket for the damage.

Prostar Rich

ttu
03-03-2008, 10:37 AM
monte may chime in also. being a insurance agent, let me first say when it comes to um coverage each state varies.

regular um coverage usually applies to the injuries you should suffer should you have a accident with uninsured driver. some states do offer umpd coverage.

in this case your collision coverage will apply less your ded. usually the insurance company does NOT charge this as a chargable accident. just a simple hit and run.

should the insurance company be able to find who hit you they will subrogate and get their money along with your ded back.

Monte
03-03-2008, 10:41 AM
It should be a collision claim (Not at fault) no points SHOULD be assesd, thus your ins should not go up. You'll just have to pay the deductible. Depending on the deductible you may want to check with a local used car dealerships. They usually have minor dent repair guys that come around once a week to repair minor dents and dings. You may get out for around a bill if they can fix it. As said before Uninsured motorist will not pay unless it is verified that the other vehicle does not have insurance. Try the dent guys first..

BrianM
03-03-2008, 11:17 AM
If the scratch looks like it will buff out definitely take it to one of the paintless dent repair guys to have them take a look at taking out the sheet metal damage. Those guys can work wonders and it is pretty inexpensive. I have had many door dings and a couple of larger dents done by these guys and every single one has come out absolutely perfect.

TMCNo1
03-03-2008, 12:59 PM
It should be a collision claim (Not at fault) no points SHOULD be assesd, thus your ins should not go up. You'll just have to pay the deductible. Depending on the deductible you may want to check with a local used car dealerships. They usually have minor dent repair guys that come around once a week to repair minor dents and dings. You may get out for around a bill if they can fix it. As said before Uninsured motorist will not pay unless it is verified that the other vehicle does not have insurance. Try the dent guys first..

We had 2 occasions where damage was done to Lynn's Explorer by someone that left the scene and did not leave a note. I guess we got screwed by filing and them going up on the rates, but fortunately it was shortly before the policy renewal time, got the bill with the 33% increase and we shopped around and got a cheaper rate than before the increase, changed insurance companies and saved some money to boot!

flipper
03-03-2008, 01:06 PM
That sucks....but it doesn't look all that bad or expensive to fix. I would think it would be cheaper, faster, and less of a pain to just have it fixed, and leave the insurance out of it.

sand2snow22
03-03-2008, 01:07 PM
I was looking at the wrong policy. The policy on this car is commercial and the deductible is $1,000. When my wife got rearended, hit and run our agent ran it as uninsured motorist claim. Here is what he had to say about the damage this time:

"Bryan, I would get an estimate first, Mackin Auto Body 8026 N. Denver Ave, 503 289-9851. Kelly is the mgr. over there and he is good guy. Commercial claims not the same as personal lines. This claim could be a 1000.00 easy so get an est. then call 1 800 332 3226 to SAFECO claims. Otherwise call me with questions? Greg
Best regards,"

sand2snow22
03-03-2008, 01:10 PM
That sucks....but it doesn't look all that bad or expensive to fix. I would think it would be cheaper, faster, and less of a pain to just have it fixed, and leave the insurance out of it.

I'm thinking the same, count it as a business write off! Had a string of good luck, now a string of bad luck. Another family member was hit the other day and it turns out the lady ended up giving a fake driver's license?

llcamp63
03-03-2008, 01:35 PM
I own an autobody repair shop in Michigan. From what I can see you have about $650.00 in damage. In Michigan your collision coverage would cover this damage, provided you don't know who did it. If you do know then their coverage would cover all the damage plus a loaner car and no deducts would apply. If you carry a standard $500 deduct you would have to pay that. If you carry a broad deduct then it would be waived. In Michigan this would be considered a non-chargeable incident and therefore would not effect your rates. However some of the discount insurance companies will call you accident prone if you have 3 claims in 3 years and raise your rates or drop you.

Monte
03-03-2008, 01:42 PM
We had 2 occasions where damage was done to Lynn's Explorer by someone that left the scene and did not leave a note. I guess we got screwed by filing and them going up on the rates, but fortunately it was shortly before the policy renewal time, got the bill with the 33% increase and we shopped around and got a cheaper rate than before the increase, changed insurance companies and saved some money to boot!

Sounds like an operations/ underwriter error. We have these arise on occasion. All it takes is one quick call from the agent to the underwriter. Usually it takes one quick keystroke to handle that problem, they take the points off and continue on.. Hey! at least you found a better deal.:D

TMCNo1
03-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Sounds like an operations/ underwriter error. We have these arise on occasion. All it takes is one quick call from the agent to the underwriter. Usually it takes one quick keystroke to handle that problem, they take the points off and continue on.. Hey! at least you found a better deal.:D

The sickening thing about the whole mess was, those were the only claims we had ever filed with the company in our 35 years of coverage with them, except for 2 comprehensive claims for windshields. Never any points for anything, I argued with them to no avail! Maybe it was because of who Lynn works for, GMAC Insurance, but it's all behind us now!

sand2snow22
03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
llcamp,

I sent you a private message. Thanks...