PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Remodel Help!

tex
03-02-2008, 01:46 PM
We are in the process of redoing our kitchen and will be going stainless with the appliences. Any suggestions of appliences or places to do research. We need a standard 30 inch gas cooktop, over range microwave, 30 inch built in oven, and 24 inch built in dishwasher. Any help is appreciated...don't want to break the bank but want good quality!

peason
03-02-2008, 02:03 PM
We bought Jenn-air convection oven, microwave and dishwasher a couple of years ago and love all of them. We have a GE Fridge. All of these are stainless. The Jenn-air microwave was a splurge - it was $600,but we wanted it to match. We went with the local dealer and felt we got a good deal and did not break the bank. Jenn-air is Maytag's top line - which is now owned by Whirlpool. Sears has some good products as well - which are all made by the major manufacturers.

Maristar210
03-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Tex,

I am *** deep in this myself. I am using www.williamskitchen.com and spending triple what I originally expected. Look that site over and remember when speaking to any of these folks they'll hose you if you let them. Everything is negotiable in this process.....

PICS ?

JohnE
03-02-2008, 02:12 PM
We switched to stainless about 4 years ago. My wife hates it. It seems to scratch very easily. And they were not cheapy appliances. She says we'' go back to black when we replace these. Oh, and my dishwasher has leaked badly twice in this time frame. GE IIRC. They actually paid us $1400 for damaged flooring when it leaked about 2 weeks after installing it. Bad pump. Leaked again about 2 months ago. I'll get the model and advise you to stay away from it. It does work well, though. The floors and dishes are all clean.

88 PS190
03-02-2008, 03:52 PM
I love our Bosch dishwashers,
Have to remember to use unscented detergent, the lemon does weird stuff to it.

And once a month or so dump some vinegar in there and run it to make sure you don't have scale issues.

Otherwise, cleaner, quieter, faster, with a ton of space.

I've hated stainless since having a Delorean, finger prints, smudges, etc show up. ALWAYS.

JohnE
03-02-2008, 03:57 PM
The Bosch's are a pain to wire...8p

88 PS190
03-02-2008, 04:40 PM
The Bosch's are a pain to wire...8p

I didn't think it was too bad, had to do a few tricky adaptations to get the water line to it.

The electrics didn't give me any problems.

BrianM
03-02-2008, 04:47 PM
We switched to stainless about 4 years ago. My wife hates it. It seems to scratch very easily. And they were not cheapy appliances. She says we'' go back to black when we replace these.
Ditto. We changed out to stainless two years ago and I really regret not going black instead. The upkeep on the stainless is horrible. They show water spots, streaks and any fingerprints. We take good care not to scratch but the streaking and finger prints are a constant problem. I would highly suggest that if you want the look of stainless to go with a 'clean steel' or now they even have some gray enamel appliance that look really good as well and they are much easier to keep clean.

Monica
03-02-2008, 06:07 PM
I didn't think it was too bad, had to do a few tricky adaptations to get the water line to it.

The electrics didn't give me any problems.

I'm an electrician. It is virtually impossible to get the wiring to the wiring compartment in the Bosch once the plumber installs it. The wire needs to sit in a small channel, and make a tight bend into the wiring compartment. And the practice on new houses is plumber installs dish and we wire it a few days later. Truthfully, it is fine if you do the install together.

EDIT: JohnE logged on as Monica by mistake.

88 PS190
03-02-2008, 06:09 PM
I could see that being hard once its in place. Both ours we wired then plumbed. So it was out for the most part.

SkiDog
03-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm an electrician. It is virtually impossible to get the wiring to the wiring compartment in the Bosch once the plumber installs it. The wire needs to sit in a small channel, and make a tight bend into the wiring compartment. And the practice on new houses is plumber installs dish and we wire it a few days later. Truthfully, it is fine if you do the install together.

EDIT: JohnE logged on as Monica by mistake.

I was wondering what the hellwas going on here! I thought she made hushpuppies for a living, not running wire!:D

jimmer2880
03-02-2008, 08:05 PM
We bought new GE rangehood/microwave and range/convection oven.

The oven is convection for the main portion, then the lower part (usually just a warming tray) is actually a 2nd oven. Wife absolutely loves the lower oven. It gets used more than the main oven.

But, we both hate the GE profile. Quality is not good. Went with them because they were supposedly one of the best, and I get a decent discount through work. We won't make that mistake again. Oven seal leaks, Rangehood/Microwave fan is horribly, unusable loud. Had to get the lower oven adjusted twice so that it somewhat sealed when shut.

Everything is white. Like the white. However, the range top (smooth top) is also white. NEVER, EVER get a white smoothtop range. We need to clenser it after every use. We'll go with a white range, with a gray/black range top.

Have an Amana fridge. It is awesome. Love the adjustability and the lower, freezer drawer.

sand2snow22
03-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Tex, we don't have gas at our house, so we went with an electric range. We love our GE profile appliances. They are all very nice. Only drawback is they are a bit tough to clean. It can be done, but sometimes you can see a bit of streaking. Drives me crazy. Having said that I would highly recommend looking at the "new" stainless stuff that will not leave fingerprint marks, grease, etc......Cleans up a lot better!

Roonie's
03-02-2008, 08:24 PM
We have GE monogram range, 2 refrigerators and 2 dishwashers all stainless steel at home. We like them but a bit pricey so would not recommend them for you.

We have the GE profile dishwasher, refrigerator, stove, and microwave at the cabin all stainless and they have worked great.

School Skier
03-02-2008, 08:29 PM
We just remodeled our house in October of 07. We bought KitchenAid appliances Architect Series II and love them. They look somewhat like Viking but not near the price. We have a 30" dual fuel range and love it. We vent the gas top out through the micro wave out the roof. you'll love the look of Stainless a little more work to maintain though. If you get a proffesional cook stove you will have to get a large vent hood because of the high out put of BTU's from the 4 or more burners. On the KitchenAid pro type there are 4 burners @15,000 BTU's. If all four are on at once at full it's like an after burner on an F-16.

sand2snow22
03-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Tex, you gonna get the fridge with the TV and auto martini maker?

RK@UST
03-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Have all stainless Kitchen Aid.
6 burner gas range is awesome.
Double oven is a must.
Side by side refer , they did well on it too.