PDA

View Full Version : 3 Port Heater Question

tuffenuff
03-01-2008, 09:33 PM
OK, I've had my boat for 2 seasons now and have not run the heater much. I know it works because I've turned it on only a couple of times for early morning runs (when the wife whined). I have one vent at the drivers feet and one vent under the observers seat. While tinkering this weekend and checking the heater hoses, I found one vent hose rotted out. No biggy, just replaced it and moved on.
Until this time I assumed that it was a two port heater. Well, I found it to be three ports and the third vent just lies on the floor not connected to anything. Vent grill is on it and the mounting holes show no signs of ever being installed. My question (stupid as it might be) is where in the hell does this ported vent belong? It makes no sense at all to heat under the bow, and I really don't see a need to double up at an existing spot. Anyone know where and why the third?

oldriver
03-01-2008, 09:45 PM
they usually use these for a defroster for the windshield on smaller boats.Larger boats can route this to the back for passengers,My 2 cents

tuffenuff
03-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I did think about plumbing a spot in the back. I really can't see myself cutting a hole in the dash for a defroster. Still curious why MC gave my boat the third though.

russlars
03-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Is it possible that it was left as a "remote" heater vent? My friends Tige has one that you can pull out and move it around so people can stick it under their shirt, towel, etc.

JerryS
03-01-2008, 11:29 PM
I would just install a Y fitting in the hose going to the drivers feet. Hook the loose hose into the Y fitting. This will provide the driver with a little more airflow and heat.

Jerry

tuffenuff
03-01-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm thinking that oldriver is close, because the hose is the same length as the observers vent. I could extend the hose to reach the back, but where would I mount it? Nice idea Jerry, but as I remember, I had plenty of heat at my feet and I remember turning it down!

WTRSK1R
03-01-2008, 11:44 PM
The one you pull out is called a Hot Tube and it is what you frequently find near the observer seat. If you do not want or need the defrost, I would probalby run it to the observer seat and as suggested use a Hot Tube so that the observer has warm feet and can put the pull out tube under a sweat shirt. A buddy of mine has the third outlet at the drivers feet so that the driver is REALLY comfortable. The biggest benefit of the 3 outlet heater in my opinion is that it puts out almost twice as many BTU's and it is a really noticeable difference in heat output.

tuffenuff
03-01-2008, 11:49 PM
WTRSK1R, thanks for the answer I was looking for. The posibilities are endless, but I mostly wanted to know why. I love the idea of a "pull out" Hot Tube, and I think I will go in that direction. Thanx to all for the help.