PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a Grand Cherokee??

rodecker1978
03-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Hey guys,
I'll be towing a 4500 lb X-2 with a 4500 lb Grand Cherokee. I'm not concerned with the power as it has a 310hp/345 torque V8. Just curious if you guys have ever had issues getting the boat out the water with a similar rig? Vehicle weight = boat + trailer weight...etc.

I guess I'm mostly concerned with traction...

Thanks much!

flipper
03-01-2008, 02:26 PM
I would worry about pulling it out of the water at all. I worry more about stopping it all more than anything.

JohnE
03-01-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm no expert, but I don't think you will have a problem.

rodecker1978
03-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Yeah, will make sure that the jeep and trailer brakes are in tip-top shape at all times...and leaving plenty of room in front of me when towing.

ShamrockIV
03-01-2008, 04:07 PM
it is not the pulling it is the stopping!!! boat weighs the same as the truck?? not a good idea IMHO!!

coz
03-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Hey guys,
I'll be towing a 4500 lb X-2 with a 4500 lb Grand Cherokee. I'm not concerned with the power as it has a 310hp/345 torque V8. Just curious if you guys have ever had issues getting the boat out the water with a similar rig? Vehicle weight = boat + trailer weight...etc.

I guess I'm mostly concerned with traction...

Thanks much!

This thread might help too.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=21535
:steering:

6ballsisall
03-01-2008, 06:11 PM
I pulled our X7 with our JGC w/ V8 several times over some distance. Powerwise it had no problem at all. Stopping it did decent. What unnerved me was the tail wagging the dog. THat short wheel base on the JGC made it a bit squirelly at times. The Durango we had at the time pulled the X7 MUCH better due to longer wheel base. YOu can do it with the JGC I am sure but I'd take it easy and realize that X2 is heavier than my X7 was, it will throw your JGC around.

As for the boat ramp, you'll be fine....

rodecker1978
03-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input. I'll just make sure I've got plenty of time to get to whatever lake it is...

rodecker1978
03-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input. I'll just make sure I've got plenty of time to get to whatever lake it is...

dapicatti
03-02-2008, 01:58 AM
Just my past experience towing with our 2 previous Jeep Grand Cherokees made me step up and buy a Yukon when we bought our X-2. Its' a big boat compared to the Jeep, and not always friendly to the transmissions. It towed fine, but I was really leary of long term damage to the Jeep due to the multiple hills we have to tow over.

D3skier
03-02-2008, 09:30 AM
from reading several posts in here a few people hit the biggest concerns on the head. You have plenty of power with the JGC BUT the wheel base and their transmissions would be the biggest concern.

TMCNo1
03-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Just a note here, but many people with boats or buy their first boat, try to tow with a vehicle that is not properly equipped or rated to tow, or step up to something they think will tow without doing any research. That leads to some very bad experiences, but it's too late after problems arise.
Having any vehicle you can just install a hitch on vs having or finding one rated to properly tow your boat with the proper equipment to tow with are two different animals. With different towing packages on most vehicles comes different tow ratings. A heavy duty alternator/charging system, engine oil cooling, transmission fluid cooling, adequate suspension components/springs/shocks/brakes, factory installed hitch should always be considered as basic equipment to get you started towing, making your experiences a little less problematic.
I've been there. I've turned 2 non rated vehicles into tow vehicles and it realistically would have been easier to trade up and get something properly rated to start with, than spend all that extra money and time trying to make chicken salad out of chicken poop!
Then I did the research and ordered the factory equipped Astro Van rated to tow 6000lbs, so we can tow 3100 lbs+-.

rodecker1978
03-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Just a note here, but many people with boats or buy their first boat, try to tow with a vehicle that is not properly equipped or rated to tow, or step up to something they think will tow without doing any research. That leads to some very bad experiences, but it's too late after problems arise.
Having any vehicle you can just install a hitch on vs having or finding one rated to properly tow your boat with the proper equipment to tow with are two different animals. With different towing packages on most vehicles comes different tow ratings. A heavy duty alternator/charging system, engine oil cooling, transmission fluid cooling, adequate suspension components/springs/shocks/brakes, factory installed hitch should always be considered as basic equipment to get you started towing, making your experiences a little less problematic.
I've been there. I've turned 2 non rated vehicles into tow vehicles and it realistically would have been easier to trade up and get something properly rated to start with, than spend all that extra money and time trying to make chicken salad out of chicken poop!
Then I did the research and ordered the factory equipped Astro Van rated to tow 6000lbs, so we can tow 3100 lbs+-.
Thanks for the note TMCNo1 -
The Grand Cherokee has a class IV hitch (factory installed) and is rated to tow 6500 lbs and have a maximum of 700lbs tongue weight. These stats help but I'm still not 100% comfortable just b/c of the vehicle weight. Do you guys think Chrysler/Jeep is conservative on their tow ratings or vice versa? I'm considering putting an auxillary transmission cooler on. The Jeep is my company vehicle...thus gas is free as is all maintenance :) However, I do not want to abuse the privilege so I'll do what is necessary to make sure the Jeep is treated well...

Carbon Dreams
03-02-2008, 10:48 PM
The Grand Cherokee has a class IV hitch (factory installed) and is rated to tow 6500 lbs and have a maximum of 700lbs tongue weight. These stats help but I'm still not 100% comfortable just b/c of the vehicle weight. Do you guys think Chrysler/Jeep is conservative on their tow ratings or vice versa? I'm considering putting an auxillary transmission cooler on. The Jeep is my company vehicle...thus gas is free as is all maintenance :) However, I do not want to abuse the privilege so I'll do what is necessary to make sure the Jeep is treated well...

Used to tow a 21 foot SeaRay with a Grand Cherokee. The tranny holds up fine. I just made sure to flush and change the fluid before summer and before winter. Cheap insurance. I would turn off the AC for the long California summer climbs, but other than that, everything was normal. You shouldn't have any issues as long as the grand cherokee is maintained. What year is it?

TMCNo1
03-02-2008, 11:10 PM

I would think that if it's factory equipped and rated, that Chrysler has done their homework before rating it and placing it on the market. Unless you are making some real extreme condition and/or extended mileage trips you should be OK and just being more careful and driving more defensively is a must when you have any doubts. If you add more features to help prevent problems then have at it, it sure won't hurt it. Additionally, when using a vehicle for towing purposes, attention to maintenance details like more frequent oil/filter changes, transmission fluid/filter changes. brake inspections, etc. per the owners manual helps make towing more bearable, otherwise just enjoy using it, even if you put a few dollars of your own money into maintenance that the co. might not appreciate paying for.

rodecker1978
03-03-2008, 12:41 AM
Carbon - it is a 2008. Just a few thousand miles on it.

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated...

Carbon Dreams
03-03-2008, 01:47 AM
Carbon - it is a 2008. Just a few thousand miles on it.

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated...

The '08 will do just fine!! Cheers :toast: Change the diff oil with Lucas Oil or Redline. Keeps the spinny parts a spinnin.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-03-2008, 04:38 PM
In reference to the original question. I have a friend of mine that tows a 26' with a JGC. He puts it in low range for the steep ramps. No problems to date. I am not so sure I would be comfortable enough doing this stunt alone if I ever had to. Something to think about. You wouldn't want to see that Jeep under water whether it's your or not.
Better check with your company's ins. policy on towing, and make sure they have coverage. There has been a few trailering incidents posted here you wouldn't want to deal with.

On this note, I wouldn't tow an X2 with a JGC unless I absolutelty had too.

bigmac
03-03-2008, 05:24 PM
I'd recommend rechecking your towing capacity. We've been through this before, and IIRC the Grand Cherokee's quoted towing capacity of 6500/700 is for weight-distributing hitches only. Weight-carrying capacity, which is how you'll be towing the boat, is more like 3500 lbs. The problem with imposing weight-distributing capacities on a weight-carrying hitch is that there is too much weight on the rear axle, which leads to less weight on the front, which can lead to excessive sway, lousy steering, lousy braking. Hauling a 4500 lb boat in weight-carrying mode...I suspect you are way out of the envelope.

Most people think towing is about power train and whether or not they have a Class III or IV hitch. Those things aren't important, especially relative to safety. On any 4-wheel vehicle, towing capacity is determined by how the weight is distributed.

Here's a famous and classic example of trailer sway due to not enough weight on the front wheels due to exceeding hitch capacity...

http://www.synthx.com/articles/trailerhitch.jpg

Workin' 4 Toys
03-03-2008, 05:30 PM
We've been through this before,

Which topic has more posts...??
Trailering capacities?
Which oil is best to use?

:rolleyes: ;)

erkoehler
03-03-2008, 05:33 PM
I pulled our X7 with our JGC w/ V8 several times over some distance. Powerwise it had no problem at all. Stopping it did decent. What unnerved me was the tail wagging the dog. THat short wheel base on the JGC made it a bit squirelly at times. The Durango we had at the time pulled the X7 MUCH better due to longer wheel base. YOu can do it with the JGC I am sure but I'd take it easy and realize that X2 is heavier than my X7 was, it will throw your JGC around.

As for the boat ramp, you'll be fine....

X-45 will get her rockin!

Sodar
03-03-2008, 05:35 PM

So will the CSX! 8p

erkoehler
03-03-2008, 05:36 PM
So will the CSX! 8p

You haven't even been on the highway with it :)

TMCNo1
03-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Trailering capacities?

Democratic Oil filters and Republican impeller removal???????????:rolleyes: :D

I forgot, applying Pepsi or Coke to your teak swim platform!

6ballsisall
03-03-2008, 08:16 PM

I"ll pass on that one......The 45s even a bit much for the Hoe. Need a 3/4 ton or better IMO for that boat.

erkoehler
03-03-2008, 08:17 PM
I"ll pass on that one......The 45s even a bit much for the Hoe. Need a 3/4 ton or better IMO for that boat.

No, the Tahoe is plenty for that boat!

6ballsisall
03-03-2008, 08:18 PM
No, the Tahoe is plenty for that boat!

I'll pass...........:rolleyes:

erkoehler
03-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Oh, and an x-15 behind the Durango for a 300+ mile drive is a bit interesting too.

Sodar
03-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Oh, and an x-15 behind the Durango for a 300+ mile drive is a bit interesting too.

Stop whining...

erkoehler
03-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Stop whining...

Don't worry, your boat is light enough I had it going 85/90 down the highway :)

New truck this spring hopefully!

Sodar
03-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Don't worry, your boat is light enough I had it going 85/90 down the highway :)

New truck this spring hopefully!

Sweet Dude!

erkoehler
03-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Sweet Dude!

Why are vehicles so expensive.....especially when it has to be a tow vehicle :(

We do have a F-250 now as a work truck, so I don't tow as many big boats.

bigmac
03-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Trailering capacities?

They..just..won't..listen.

Sodar
03-03-2008, 11:42 PM

Just keep looking. I have a feeling prices, rebates and incentives are all going to improve over the next while!

6ballsisall
03-03-2008, 11:48 PM

Eric, I saw an ad this weekend for 12k off ALL Dodge 2500's (including Diesel) down here. You could get a NICE Quad cab, Dies, 4x4, etc.... for around 34k.

erkoehler
03-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Eric, I saw an ad this weekend for 12k off ALL Dodge 2500's (including Diesel) down here. You could get a NICE Quad cab, Dies, 4x4, etc.... for around 34k.

Don't think I will buy a Dodge next.....lets say the last 6 months have not been good w/ the Durango.

I'm debating either a Suburban or Tahoe. Don't think I want a pickup.

Sodar
03-03-2008, 11:56 PM
I know of a very clean '05 Tahoe for sale. The owner is super anal... :D

6ballsisall
03-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Don't think I will buy a Dodge next.....lets say the last 6 months have not been good w/ the Durango.

I'm debating either a Suburban or Tahoe. Don't think I want a pickup.

I'll make you a sweet deal on the wifes 07' Tahoe. ;)

erkoehler
03-03-2008, 11:59 PM

I wish I could justify a diesel, but if diesel fuel is more expensive than gas by 60-80 cents per gallon whats the point?

I would love the towing power of the diesel though :)

erkoehler
03-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Why are you selling the tahoe? Both Cameron and Jeff.......????

Sodar
03-04-2008, 12:07 AM
I have it listed, just to test the waters. I got it for a really good price, so if I can unload it, maybe I can negate taking a huge hit in a few years.

erkoehler
03-04-2008, 12:11 AM

What are you looking for to replace it?

Sodar
03-04-2008, 12:14 AM
I am thinking a Suburban. I test drove a used BMW X-5 a few weeks ago and I really liked that, but I am concerned it might be a little too small.

erkoehler
03-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Wish there was a diesel suburban!

6ballsisall
03-04-2008, 12:28 AM
Wish there was a diesel suburban!

What did you ask for???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-Yukon-2005-YUKON-2005-GMC-Yukon-XL-SLT-2500-Quadrasteer-Duramax-Suburban_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6249QQihZ006QQ itemZ160213551969QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

rodecker1978
03-04-2008, 01:07 AM
Ok guys-
How about if I put on a weight distributing hitch and sway bars?? I can take care of that for about 500 bucks. Think I'd be fairly good shape if I do this?

Thanks.

bigmac
03-04-2008, 07:28 AM
A pole tongue adapter would allow a weight distributing hitch on a boat trailer to work without impairing the trailer braking. It's designed to work with single tongues rather than A-frames. That does indeed solve the problem of a heavy trailer making your JGC hard to handle because of its short wheelbase, and allow you to go up to the vehicle's stated max tow rating of 6500/700.

erkoehler
03-04-2008, 09:34 AM
What did you ask for???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-Yukon-2005-YUKON-2005-GMC-Yukon-XL-SLT-2500-Quadrasteer-Duramax-Suburban_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6249QQihZ006QQ itemZ160213551969QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Yeah right!

Sodar
03-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Buy-It Now.... $79,999. Thats a deal, right?

erkoehler
03-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Buy-It Now.... $79,999. Thats a deal, right?
I read on the internet that is a great deal.....so, must be!

Sodar
03-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Here is a little blurb about the factory putting a diesel into a suburban. I have heard rumors that 2010 is the year they will do it.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124684

erkoehler
03-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Don't think the Durango will make it to 2010!

Roonie's
03-04-2008, 09:48 AM
I would love a diesel in the suburban. We currently have a newer suburban and this last summer I towed our 07 X2 on a 3600 mile road trip with it across half the country. After towing it that distance I really wish the suburban came in diesel. Honestly the passes went ok..... even the continental divide. I could keep a speed up around 55 mph on the really steep hills. It was the big trucks passing that got the whole back to start to swerve. Also the gas mileage was horrible averaging 9-10 mpg towing. Going over bumps would also make the back end bounce good at times.

I was thinking of downsizing to a Tahoe size but not sure it could pull the X2 on a long road trip easily??

erkoehler
03-04-2008, 10:03 AM
I would love a diesel in the suburban. We currently have a newer suburban and this last summer I towed our 07 X2 on a 3600 mile road trip with it across half the country. After towing it that distance I really wish the suburban came in diesel. Honestly the passes went ok..... even the continental divide. I could keep a speed up around 55 mph on the really steep hills. It was the big trucks passing that got the whole back to start to swerve. Also the gas mileage was horrible averaging 9-10 mpg towing. Going over bumps would also make the back end bounce good at times.

I was thinking of downsizing to a Tahoe size but not sure it could pull the X2 on a long road trip easily??

I am with you! Luckily, we don't have the mountains to contend with, but in your situation I wouldn't downsize again.

I just can't believe diesel fuel is so expensive compared to gas right now.

sigger42
03-07-2008, 11:40 AM
I tow a Maristar with a 02 Grand Cherkee as long as you have 4 wheel disc breaks it will stop it no problem. Also pulling the boat out of the water will work just fine, but if you are on a steep ramp just throw it into 4 wheel low.

ShamrockIV
03-07-2008, 11:42 AM
man if they go duramax in surburban/yukon xl i may have to trade after they have it for a few years!!

MS240
06-12-2008, 06:48 PM
I towed 90 maristar 240 with 97 JGC V8. Had no problems other than sometimes forgot what owners manual recommended when towing, which was to use premium fuel. ALso, watch routine oil, radiator, air cleaner and AWD lubrication requirements, especially since its always AWD. Had difficulty getting low low AWD in place with the handle next to tranny handle. If yours has this, dealer recommended putting car in neutral, turning engine off, pull handle in low gear, turn on engine and should stay in place. Walt M.

jraben8
06-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Premium fuel for towing!?! That's a new one for me.