PDA

View Full Version : Do you run the blower before you start?

Chas
03-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Every time? I trailer my boats over thirty miles to the closest lake, double that to a better lake. I have a custom cover for one boat which stays on as I trailer, but it leaves the vents wide open on the sides of my boat.

I have yet to trailer my MC, but I don't own a cover and most likely will not get one.

So - since my boat is moving down the road at highway speeds for an hour or so before I start it up, I don't really worry about running the blower before starting. I do open the motor box to look for leaks and such, and I have yet to sniff even the slightest odor of fuel.

Obviously if I am starting up after sitting for a long period of time, on the water or on the trailer waiting in line to launch or waiting for friends to get there... I run the blower just in case.

But what do you all do? Just curious.

:cool:

Hammer
03-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I always run the blower even after trailering 30 plus minuites. I just don't like taking chances when its just to easy to do. Admitedly I don't run it as long a recomended most of the time. I just use my judgement. I always run the blower for a while even if it has only been cut off for a couple of minuties, especially after a hard run (ie. skiing).

flipper
03-01-2008, 03:03 PM
I do just to be on the safe side.

dpolen
03-01-2008, 03:12 PM
I can't really see any downside to running the blower...easy way to potentially prevent a really BAD day on the lake.

Lennyp04
03-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Always run the blower before the boat starts. Also during wakeboarding the blower stays on. Also leaving it on during running could keep the engine compartment cooler by bringing in new air

TMCNo1
03-01-2008, 03:17 PM
I basically follow the owners manual recommendation! I may leave it on more than is required, but!

trickskier
03-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Mine stays on 90% of the time. I would rather be safe than sorry. ;)

jsnipes
03-01-2008, 03:48 PM
I've made a habit of turning mine on when I get to the ramp and start prepping the boat for launch. By the time it's launched it's been running for several minutes.

JS

tex
03-01-2008, 04:47 PM
I get to the ramp, open my motor cover and put the plug in. I leave the motor cover open as I drop in and start the motor. If I'm dropping a friend's boat in...I always run the blower.

Chicago190
03-01-2008, 04:53 PM
I lift the cover and turn on the blower before I start it. Check for any leaks and then I'm off.

ridesdirt
03-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Yes, always.

I open the engine cover for the first start of the day.

jimmer2880
03-01-2008, 05:40 PM
before lowering the lift, I open the engine cover & check the oil (leaves the fumes out).

I wired my blower so that the key must be on for the blower to be on. That way, I don't need to worry about remembering to turn it off when we are done for the day. We never touch the blower switch now. Key turns on to run the blower a few minutes before starting. Blower runs while we are skiing, etc. If the boat is running, so is the blower.

6ballsisall
03-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I get to the ramp, open my motor cover and put the plug in. I leave the motor cover open as I drop in and start the motor. If I'm dropping a friend's boat in...I always run the blower.

My gig exactly. ;)

JohnnyB
03-01-2008, 05:52 PM
I probably don't run mine as often as I should......

mbtka
03-01-2008, 07:24 PM
We run our blower all the time as well.

88 PS190
03-01-2008, 07:30 PM
nope, I just open the engine cover for a few moments when I start it.

I know I should run it at idle and everything, just never got in the habit.

2RLAKE
03-01-2008, 07:30 PM
always turn on the blower before i start

Doug G
03-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Yup I do and after I fuel too

Chief
03-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Anyone know of someone having a fire from not using blower? I don't use mine too much, only right before I crank it before off loading it from the trailer.

MC2000190
03-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Always run the blower before starting!

ShamrockIV
03-01-2008, 08:53 PM
not really

TMCNo1
03-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Anyone know of someone having a fire from not using blower? I don't use mine too much, only right before I crank it before off loading it from the trailer.

It's not just a fire, but the big 'BOOM' that occurs when gasoline fumes are present in the bottom of the bilge and there is a spark of some kind that ignites it because the blower isn't working or hasn't been run to evacuate the fumes, I'm just sayin".......................................! :firejump:

ShamrockIV
03-01-2008, 09:04 PM
i never really have before but for some reason my 205 since it has been in garage all winter smeels like fumes. i guess it is the cover!! i will run it this summer!!

TMCNo1
03-01-2008, 09:07 PM
i never really have before but for some reason my 205 since it has been in garage all winter smeels like fumes. i guess it is the cover!! i will run it this summer!!

We would hate to know you missed CSM, cause your azz is spread over 3 counties!:D

ShamrockIV
03-01-2008, 09:16 PM
We would hate to know you missed CSM, cause your azz is spread over 3 counties!:D

3 counties???? i do not have that much A$$ bro!!!
also i am kinda worried that u are thinking of my A$$!!!:confused:
must be a carolina thing. if i pull up and u boys are playing dueling banjos i am headed home!!!!!

thijs
03-01-2008, 10:27 PM
We don't ever really run the blower, but I think that we will start. We have never ran into a problem, but hey safe is safe........

Monte
03-01-2008, 10:32 PM
must be a carolina thing. if i pull up and u boys are playing dueling banjos i am headed home!!!!!

That movie was filmed in Tennessee...;) Just sayin:rolleyes:

I always run mine longer than neccessary. The big boom is something that scares the heck out of me...

lanier92prostar
03-01-2008, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=jcrosby150]Anyone know of someone having a fire from not using blower? I don't use mine too much, only right before I crank it before off loading it from the trailer.[/QUOTE

Yes, I saw it happen at a boat ramp one time. Operator of the boat was severly burned, big explosion. Luckily no one was on the ramp next to them. It was an IO,but I think the same thing could happen to a MC. I always run my blower, partly because I forget to turn it off, but I would rather forget to turn it off, than forget to turn the blower on.

TMCNo1
03-01-2008, 10:47 PM
3 counties???? i do not have that much A$$ bro!!!
also i am kinda worried that u are thinking of my A$$!!!:confused:

Nevermind!

Chas
03-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the replies - keep 'em coming. I see the vents as being designed to move air through the bilges when the boat is in motion, and I figure the boat doesn't know if it is moving on water or the highway.

But I am looking for a quieter blower. I bought a 'yellowtail' and I am impressed with the amount of air the thing moves. It will move the boat if the water and wind are dead calm and I'm not tied to something!

But I am also impressed with the noise the thing makes. Shrieks like a power tool with asthma. A loud power tool. I can't stand to leave it run while I go park the truck - I can hear it all the way to the parking lot and back.
http://www.defender.com/images/901450.jpg

So - what blower should I get to replace it?

russlars
03-01-2008, 11:11 PM
I tend to run mine before the first start-up of the day and after fueling, however, not much during the day when starting and stopping. Most of my boating friends seem to follow this pattern also (be it good or bad).

thijs
03-02-2008, 12:08 AM
I would think that after running it and shutting it down, then starting again would be the highest risk. Increased box temperatures, recently freshly pumped fuel and all......... If you have the box open it should be safe, but I am definately going to start running a blower when we are cruising and starting/stopping/starting.

Glad to see this thread, the hardwires to ignition seems like a good idea.

D3skier
03-02-2008, 12:15 AM
I always run mine at first start up and when at idle speeds or floating with engine running. I was just taught this way so I continue to do so

Hrkdrivr
03-02-2008, 01:52 AM
blowers are cheap and easy to replace, explosions/fires are hard to deal with and may be tragic...

Chas
03-02-2008, 02:00 AM
Yes, I think I paid less than Thirty Bucks for the 'Yellow Tail.'

Anyone have good experience with a particular make and/or model? I see them listed by price, CFM, voltage, amp draw, but nothing about the noise level, other than "quieter operation..."

Mine is 'quieter,' it's quieter than a rock band in the front row.

But not by much.

How about this one at Ski Dim?

http://www.skidim.com/images/2503_THUMBNAIL.jpg

91ps190
03-02-2008, 02:49 AM
My original blower squeals like crazy and I need a new one. Where is the best place online to order one?

dapicatti
03-02-2008, 03:01 AM
Always, Always, Always run the blower. No exceptions. Rather be safe than sorry.

uawaterskier
03-02-2008, 03:20 AM
the team boat doesn't have its blower run by a lot of the members. I try to remember to run it, esp after fueling. But, with the opitional fire extinguisher MC must think that boat fires are rare.

Chicago190
03-02-2008, 03:32 AM

I've seen it at the ramp. I/O owner had his trailer in the water and I was 2nd in line. I was inside the boat and my father was in the truck and then BOOM! No injuries, but needless to say the line at the ramp was a little long after that.

TMCNo1
03-02-2008, 09:18 AM
My original blower squeals like crazy and I need a new one. Where is the best place online to order one?

A MC dealer or maybe here, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1005 among others.

jimmer2880
03-02-2008, 12:10 PM

There was an IO on our river one day that went boom from no blower. The ~4 year old in the boat had a large amount of 3rd degree burns. I think everyone survived, but some only barely survived. Many of those in the boat were actually thrown overboard from the explosion.

TMCNo1
03-02-2008, 12:34 PM
the team boat doesn't have its blower run by a lot of the members. I try to remember to run it, esp after fueling. But, with the opitional fire extinguisher MC must think that boat fires are rare.

Like Skidog says, "When you least expect it, Expect it"!

When our daughter skied At UNC Chapel Hill, the team/club boat sponsor/ maintainer held classes a couple times a year and had a booklet for the members to keep in their possession and study with all the procedures for running the boat, fueling, docking, tie-up, fenders, installing the cover, pier equipment box, keys and one important thing included blower operation. Then the members took tests to qualify as boat drivers to use the boat and the boat never left the dock without a qualified driver in the group ,never! The sponsor was responsible for getting/keeping insurance, co-signing the loan, maintaining the boat, storing the boat in the off season, among a long list of other things. An accident or something stupid by someone put his reputation and financial stability in jeopardy if things weren't done properly and anything less who have been extremely irresponsible on his behalf.

ted shred
03-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Always, all itakes is a flick of the switch. I do it as soon as I get to the dock to launch. By the time I unhook everything and back the trailer in the water, it has plenty of ventilation. And always after fueling up at the fuel dock.

tex
03-02-2008, 02:46 PM
As my dad used to say...it only takes one time! Of course he said that as he was gasing up the boat and smoking a Winston!

Yellow X9
03-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Prior to starting the boat, and while the engine is running. Thats the way I was taught. Like everyone else, better safe than sorry

uawaterskier
03-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Like Skidog says, "When you least expect it, Expect it"!

When our daughter skied At UNC Chapel Hill, the team/club boat sponsor/ maintainer held classes a couple times a year and had a booklet for the members to keep in their possession and study with all the procedures for running the boat, fueling, docking, tie-up, fenders, installing the cover, pier equipment box, keys and one important thing included blower operation. Then the members took tests to qualify as boat drivers to use the boat and the boat never left the dock without a qualified driver in the group ,never! The sponsor was responsible for getting/keeping insurance, co-signing the loan, maintaining the boat, storing the boat in the off season, among a long list of other things. An accident or something stupid by someone put his reputation and financial stability in jeopardy if things weren't done properly and anything less who have been extremely irresponsible on his behalf.unc doesn't have a full team anymore...they really could use more skiers.

Gonzo
03-02-2008, 10:44 PM
I skied @ ECU in NC, it was a pure club sport there with a bunch of wallys, myself included. I am not sure if there is even a team anymore, last I lived there they were just skiing every now and then and not going to tournaments.

Gonzo
03-02-2008, 10:44 PM
O yea, and I vote run the blower.

91ps190
03-02-2008, 11:06 PM
A MC dealer or maybe here, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1005 among others.

Thanks I'll check that out. Are the atwoods the same as the OEM in my boat now?

Willski
03-02-2008, 11:27 PM
I run it, especially if I've been sitting. Not the 5 minutes they say, but for a few minutes at least, especially after a fuel stop.