PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Drive rebuild

gigem75
02-29-2008, 09:59 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f310/gigem75/bg_rebuild.jpg

Jim@BAWS
02-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Not a big deal. Purchase a rebuild kit. Those clutches are designed to be the weak link. Not that tough to do. Make sure that you line up the housings when you put it back together.

Probably happened because or a high RPM engagement or a slam into reverse from foward....boats don't have brakes

Jim@BAWS

flipper
02-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Not trying to thread jack, but thought you might think about this option also since your in there. Is it possible to take this tranny and make it like a powerslot? I've been thinking about doing that on mine if possible.

gigem75
02-29-2008, 11:08 PM
It is a powerslot, 1.52:1 reduction hanging off the back. Ordered glan nut, seals and fw clutch pack, and new springs for the hellofit. Put a guage on the 3/8ths tap and had 150 psig at idle, pump is fine, all internals look great except for the plates. Lag bolts squeaked as I took them off. That's a good sign of the stringers being solid. This whole deal might work out after all:)

EricB
02-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Gigem;
Thanks for the pics of what you found. Can you add what the symptoms were? That way when somebody needs some tranny help, they can do a search (on the problem) and your contribution will show up!!!

Thanks!

EricB
02-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Gigem;
Thanks for the pics of what you found. Can you add what the symptoms were? That way when somebody needs some tranny help, they can do a search (on the problem) and your contribution will show up!!!

Thanks!

gigem75
02-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Be glad to. The trans was stuck in forward gear, (a couple of fwd clutch plates were burned together which kept it locked if fwd) no netural. When you would shift to reverse it would still be in forward and when reverse engaged it would be trying to spin both ways and thus lock up the trans and stall the engine.
I just bought this boat. The fluid level was barely on the stick. Havent't had it on the water yet but should be in business by next weekend! knock on wood......

flipper
02-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Good deal, sound like you're good to go!!! And the powerslot is the 1.5:1 ratio.

H20skeefreek
03-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Good deal, sound like you're good to go!!! And the powerslot is the 1.5:1 ratio.

MOST but not all Powerslots are 1.52:1 . They were in '85.

88 PS190
03-01-2008, 07:28 PM

You could install one on the transmission, but you'd have to buy the unit, new drive shaft, couplers, strut, prop, and packing unit to make it worth while.

flipper
03-01-2008, 07:35 PM
You could install one on the transmission, but you'd have to buy the unit, new drive shaft, couplers, strut, prop, and packing unit to make it worth while.

That will get expensive quick!!!!

gigem75
03-06-2008, 02:51 PM
"Good deal, sound like you're good to go!!! And the powerslot is the 1.5:1 ratio."

Actually it is a powerslot, the powerslot refers to the slot cut into the hull. When mbc put the reduction gear on they found it needed a bigger prop due to the reduction in gearing. They cut a slot into the bottom of the hull to accomodate the larger prop. Later boats were designed to take the bigger prop so the slot went away but the name stuck.
Most just shorten the 1.52 to 1 to 1.5 to 1.