PDA

View Full Version : It's summer time!! Well almost!!

jmyers
02-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Feb 16th is it too early!

TMCNo1
02-29-2008, 03:26 PM

Check your calender, it's Feburary 29, 2008! Your living 2 weeks behind the rest of the world!

wakeX2wake
02-29-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm tired of waiting on the water temp to raise... I'd hit it any day if the outside temp would get over 50 for a few days striaght!

rodltg2
02-29-2008, 03:47 PM
good to go here! going out sunday 70deg!!

coz
02-29-2008, 03:52 PM

83 today! water's still chilly but it's here for us.

Sodar
02-29-2008, 03:52 PM
On my way out this evening... Parker looks to be in the 80's!

ShamrockIV
02-29-2008, 03:53 PM
ey auburn x2 are u guys the eagles or tigers??? why war eagle???? bipolar or what???

damaged442
02-29-2008, 03:56 PM
High temp today of 7 F. Not summer in NY yet! :cry:

ShamrockIV
02-29-2008, 03:56 PM
snowed in Tn this week!! gonn abe 60's this weekend!!! D@MN weather!!!

Prostar Rich
02-29-2008, 04:29 PM
You guys out west really need not post up those 80 degree temps. Were suppose to hit 47 over the weekend which I guess will feel like 80 with the crappy winter weather we have had.

Think of us when you guys are boating this weekend.

Prostar Rich

coz
02-29-2008, 05:39 PM
On my way out this evening... Parker looks to be in the 80's!

Where you heading sodar?

wakeX2wake
02-29-2008, 05:42 PM
well our mascot is the tiger but the legend of the war eagle is as follows...

The most popular story about the battle cry dates back to the first time Auburn met Georgia on the football field in 1892 and centers around a spectator who was a veteran of the Civil War.

In the stands with him that day was an eagle the old soldier had found on a battlefield during the war. He had kept it as a pet for almost 30 years. According to witnesses, the eagle suddenly broke free and began majestically circling the playing field. As the eagle soared, Auburn began a steady march toward the Georgia end zone for a thrilling victory. Elated at their team's play and taking the bird's presence as an omen of success, Auburn students and fans began to yell "War Eagle" to spur on their team. At the game's end, the eagle took a sudden dive, crashed into the ground, and died. But the battle cry "War Eagle" lived on to become a symbol of the proud Auburn spirit.

The 1914 contest with the Carlisle Indians provides another story. The toughest player on the Indians' team was a tackle named Bald Eagle. Trying to tire the big man, Auburn began to run play after play at his position. Without even huddling, the Auburn quarterback would yell "Bald Eagle," letting the rest of the team know that the play would be run at the imposing defensive man. Spectators, however, thought the quarterback was saying "War Eagle," and in unison, they began to chant the resounding cry.

There is another story surrounding the 1914 Carlisle game. Each time the Indians had scored during the season, fans and the Carlisle players yelled, "War Eagle." But on this particular afternoon, it was Auburn's own Lucy Hairston who adopted the battle cry as he danced across the goal line for the only touchdown of the game.

Another version of the War Eagle story comes from Indian lore. Legend says "War Eagle" was the name given to the large golden eagle by the Plains Indians because the eagle furnished feathers for use in their war bonnets. The rarest version of the origin of the "War Eagle" cry grew from a 1913 pep rally at Langdon Hall where students had gathered the day before the Georgia football game. Cheerleader Gus Graydon told the crowd, "If we are going to win this game, we'll have to get out there and fight, because this means war." During the frenzy, another student, E. T. Enslen, dressed in his military uniform, noticed something had dropped from his hat. Bending down, he saw it was the metal emblem of an eagle that had been loosened while he cheered. Someone asked him what he had found, and Enslen loudly replied, "It's a War Eagle!" History was made as the new cry echoed throughout the stadium the next day as Auburn battled Georgia.

wakeX2wake
02-29-2008, 05:42 PM

The most popular story about the battle cry dates back to the first time Auburn met Georgia on the football field in 1892 and centers around a spectator who was a veteran of the Civil War.

In the stands with him that day was an eagle the old soldier had found on a battlefield during the war. He had kept it as a pet for almost 30 years. According to witnesses, the eagle suddenly broke free and began majestically circling the playing field. As the eagle soared, Auburn began a steady march toward the Georgia end zone for a thrilling victory. Elated at their team's play and taking the bird's presence as an omen of success, Auburn students and fans began to yell "War Eagle" to spur on their team. At the game's end, the eagle took a sudden dive, crashed into the ground, and died. But the battle cry "War Eagle" lived on to become a symbol of the proud Auburn spirit.

The 1914 contest with the Carlisle Indians provides another story. The toughest player on the Indians' team was a tackle named Bald Eagle. Trying to tire the big man, Auburn began to run play after play at his position. Without even huddling, the Auburn quarterback would yell "Bald Eagle," letting the rest of the team know that the play would be run at the imposing defensive man. Spectators, however, thought the quarterback was saying "War Eagle," and in unison, they began to chant the resounding cry.

There is another story surrounding the 1914 Carlisle game. Each time the Indians had scored during the season, fans and the Carlisle players yelled, "War Eagle." But on this particular afternoon, it was Auburn's own Lucy Hairston who adopted the battle cry as he danced across the goal line for the only touchdown of the game.

Another version of the War Eagle story comes from Indian lore. Legend says "War Eagle" was the name given to the large golden eagle by the Plains Indians because the eagle furnished feathers for use in their war bonnets. The rarest version of the origin of the "War Eagle" cry grew from a 1913 pep rally at Langdon Hall where students had gathered the day before the Georgia football game. Cheerleader Gus Graydon told the crowd, "If we are going to win this game, we'll have to get out there and fight, because this means war." During the frenzy, another student, E. T. Enslen, dressed in his military uniform, noticed something had dropped from his hat. Bending down, he saw it was the metal emblem of an eagle that had been loosened while he cheered. Someone asked him what he had found, and Enslen loudly replied, "It's a War Eagle!" History was made as the new cry echoed throughout the stadium the next day as Auburn battled Georgia.

wakeX2wake
02-29-2008, 05:45 PM
I appologize for the double post... the shouthern cal guys have got it when it comes to getting on the water first... i'm staring outside my office window at a rainy 43 degrees when it was mid-60s last week then sleeting and snowing the VERY next day

coz
02-29-2008, 05:46 PM

Is this kinda like the ground hog thing and your saying it's getting warmer? :confused:

wakeX2wake
02-29-2008, 05:53 PM
who knows when it's going to get warmer?... it's Alabama... It might be 30 today and 60 tomorrow... we won't know when it will finally stay warm until the middle of April (which was when severe winter weather hit this area some years ago)

Sodar
02-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Where you heading sodar?

Blythe... :)

I will be in Parker next weekend for the ski race. :cool:

Lennyp04
02-29-2008, 05:59 PM

Yeah I agree with Harold, my calendar says February 29th. I mean if you still want winter where you are...haha just kidding. But yeah I'm almost positive the boat isn't being dropped in until early May.....Oh I can't wait!!!

coz
02-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Blythe... :)

I will be in Parker next weekend for the ski race. :cool:

Looks like a nice one for you this weekend enjoy, see ya there next weekend me and the boys are going. :D

ProTour X9
02-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Yeah I agree with Harold, my calendar says February 29th. I mean if you still want winter where you are...haha just kidding. But yeah I'm almost positive the boat isn't being dropped in until early May.....Oh I can't wait!!!

My watch says 3-1-08 hmmmm.... needs adjustment

flipper
02-29-2008, 06:45 PM
If it makes you guys feel better, it won't be in the 80's until next week.

coz
02-29-2008, 07:01 PM
If it makes you guys feel better, it won't be in the 80's until next week.

I'm pulling for ya! no pun intended :D

TX.X-30 fan
02-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Boats all ready for Sunday, I have seen boats on the lake all day, flat as a fart out there!!! Should get close to 80 but still spring suit weather.