PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguisher

CPlane Pilot
02-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Where does everyone mount their fire extinguisher? I have a PS197 and looking for ideas on best placement. Thanks.

BrianM
02-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Mine is in the stock location under the observers seat. Pretty sure MC puts a fire extinguisher in every boat.

Muttley
02-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Mine happens to be on the right side wall inside the bow, near the front. It's rigfht there when you lift the seat door. It came that way. I've seen others that have them mounted under the dash on the left wall near where your left leg would be.

ncsone
02-29-2008, 10:54 AM
I have mine kind of wedged between the drivers seat and the starboard gunwale. I (or another driver) can just reach down with their right hand if there is ever a problem. Mine is not mounted, not sure if there is a USCG regulation requiring it to be physically mounted in a bracket.

chudson
02-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Two under the observers seat!!!

jimmer2880
02-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Mine is currently under the passengers seat, next to the battery.

However, it will be moving soon.

Last year, a buddy of mine had his battery blow up. With the fire extinguisher next to the battery, they had to reach through the flames to get it. That wasn't fun, and we quickly realized it's not a very good place to put it.

I'm not sure where I'm going to mount it, but it's certainly not going to be next to the battery.

I want it to be somewhere out of the way, but easy to reach. Preferrably not under a seat, since many times people are sitting on the seat.

I'm thinking about doing some kind of velcro attachment under the gunnel. It would be out of the way, out of site, but easy to grab.

ttu
02-29-2008, 11:50 AM
i know this sounds like sour grapes, but i still can not believe mc does not install a fire extinguisher in their boats.:mad:

did not even know till the 1st time taking the boat out, the lake patrol came over for a look and gave me warning.

both of my skier's choice boats had one installed.

bigmac
02-29-2008, 12:23 PM
i know this sounds like sour grapes, but i still can not believe mc does not install a fire extinguisher in their boats.:mad:

did not even know till the 1st time taking the boat out, the lake patrol came over for a look and gave me warning.

both of my skier's choice boats had one installed.Sounds like a dealer issue to me. My MC had a fire extinguisher installed, courtesy of the dealer before I left the lot. That was in addition to the Cipa mirror he installed, as well as several life jackets and cleaning supplies.

ttu
02-29-2008, 12:27 PM
mac, in a way i agree.

but that other company even shows where they are located in their owner's manual.

don't get me wrong I love my mc..... just think it's a simply and cheap oversite.

Prostar Rich
02-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Taken from the USCG website.

As a side note early in the spring naturally the lake patrol is out on the prowl and the first thing they are looking for early in the spring is current registration sticker. I make sure that mine is on however I got stopped last year for a on the water boat inspection. These guys were looking for anything to write me a ticket. They wanted to see the normal stuff like life jackets etc. and then they wanted to see the fire extinguisher. The extinguisher is old and while it has not been discharged the needle has moved some however it is still in the charge area. They gave me a hard time about it but it was still legal. They even went as far to wanting to see that the battery was secure. I guess the point is make sure you are legal to avoid getting a ticket.

Prostar Rich

Federal Requirements and Safety Tips for Recreational Boats

Fire Extinguishers

Coast Guard Approved fire extinguishers are required on boats where a fire hazard could be expected from the motors or the fuel system. Extinguishers are classified by a letter and number symbol. The letter indicates the type fire the unit is designed to extinguish (Type B for example are designed to extinguish flammable liquids such as gasoline, oil and grease fires). The number indicates the relative size of the extinguisher. The higher the number, the larger the extinguisher.

Coast Guard approved extinguishers required for boats are hand portable, either B-I or B-II classification and have a specific marine type mounting bracket. It is recommended the extinguishers be mounted in a readily accessible position, away from the areas where a fire could likely start such as the galley or the engine compartment.

Extinguisher markings can be confusing because extinguishers can be approved for several different types of hazards. For instance, an extinguisher marked "Type A, Size II, Type B:C, Size I" is a B-I extinguisher.

Look for the part of the label that says "Marine Type USCG"

Make sure Type B is indicated
Portable extinguishers will be either size I or II. Size III and larger are too big for use on most recreational boats.
Classes Foam (Gals) C02(lbs) Dry Chemical (lbs) Halon (lbs)
B-I (Type B, Size I) 1.25 4 2 2.5
B-II (Type B, Size II) 2.5 15 10 10

Fire Extinguishers are required on boats when any of the following conditions exist:

Inboard engines are installed.
There are closed compartments and compartments under seats where portable fuel tanks may be stored.
There are double bottoms not sealed to the hull or which are not completely filled with flotation materials.
There are closed living spaces.
There are closed stowage compartments in which combustible or flammable materials are stored.
There are permanently installed fuel tanks. (Fuel tanks secured so they cannot be moved in case of fire or other emergency are considered permanently installed. There are no gallon capacity limits to determine if a fuel tank is portable. If the weight of a fuel tank is such that persons on board cannot move it, the Coast Guard considers it permanently installed.)
Fire Extinguisher Maintenance

Inspect extinguishers monthly to make sure that:

Seals and tamper indicators are not broken or missing.
Pressure gauges or indicators read in the operable range. (Note: CO2 extinguishers do not have gauges.)
There is no obvious physical damage, rust, corrosion, leakage or clogged nozzles.
Weigh extinguishers annually to assure that the minimum weight is as stated on the extinguisher label.
Fire extinguishers that do not satisfy the above requirements or that have been partially emptied must be replaced or taken to a qualified fire extinguisher servicing company for recharge.

Required Number of Fire Extinguishers

The number of fire extinguishers required on a recreational boat are based on the overall length of the boat. The following chart lists the number of extinguishers that are required. In the case where a Coast Guard approved fire extinguishing system is installed for the protection of the engine compartment, the required number of units may be reduced in accordance with the chart.

Minimum number of hand portable fire extinguishers required
Vessel Length No Fixed System With approved Fixed Systems
Less than 26' 1 B-1 0
26' to less than 40' 2 B-1 or 1 B-II 1 B-I
40' to 65' 3 B-I or 1 B-II and 1 B-1 2 B-1 or 1 B-II

The pressure gauge alone is not an accurate indicator that Halon extinguishers are full. The weight of the units should be checked regularly. It is recommended that portable extinguishers be mounted in a readily accessible position.

CPlane Pilot
02-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Sounds like a dealer issue to me. My MC had a fire extinguisher installed, courtesy of the dealer before I left the lot. That was in addition to the Cipa mirror he installed, as well as several life jackets and cleaning supplies.

You certainly have a smart quality dealer that understands what it takes to get and retain customers. However, I do agree with the point that MC offering a mandated extinguisher as an option seems laughable. Never the less, I appreciate the responses to placement. Thanks.

ncsone
02-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the info Rich. Looks like I have to go find the mount that came with my extinguisher.

ttu
02-29-2008, 12:49 PM
rich, thanks for the info also. didn't know it had to be mounted. mine is under the seat behind the driver.

anyone with a x2, where is yours located?

TMCNo1
02-29-2008, 01:58 PM
According to the current MC brochures, fire extinguishers are a factory installed option. It will then become a dealer installed option once the boat is delivered to the dealer, if it came from the factory without one and if the owner wants one. The boat should have the appropriate number and kinds aboard and it is the owners responsibility to know the boating laws and have one onboard as required by law no matter who installes it.
I would like to know when MC quit installing them as std. equipment. 10's of 1000's of dollars are added to these boats for bling, but a $25 fire extinguisher don't mean a thing!

uawaterskier
02-29-2008, 03:29 PM
well I'm pretty sure our 08 doesn't have one at all. Its on a private lake thus, its not "require". We should probably look into getting one though

ncsone
02-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Has anyone gone through an on-the-water inspection and if so, did they verify if the extinguisher was in its bracket? Or, did you just have to show that you had one and knew where it was?

ski_king
02-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Mine was mounted under the observers seat.

I moved it to semi open view between observer seat and drivers seat. Copied the location that was standard on my buddies Supra.

I did get pulled over once for a "courtsey inspection", it was a pain in the arse to get every of the seat to get to the extingusher to show the officer. I moved it soon after.

Bruce
02-29-2008, 07:27 PM
As a firefighter I would simply say it needs to be readily accessible and very visible. You may know where it is but does you wife, kids and guest know? I f you have a fire you don't want to be lifting seats, moving gear, and have everyone hollering "where's the fire extinguisher
Also if it is readily accesible you are more likely to inspect it to make sure it is still charged. Remember PAS (Pull the pin. Aim and sweep)
Aim at the base of the fire. (you can't put out smoke!).
Now if you are not to macho I would strongly suggest you have a fire drill on your boat just as you would/should in your house. Your family and friends deserve it.

TMCNo1
02-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Standard equipment, factory location in our boat, but original was swapped out for Halon and mounted next to the drivers left leg, within easy reach, you can also read the gauge and check to be sure the pin in still in place.

Bruce
02-29-2008, 11:17 PM
As a firefighter I would simply say it needs to be readily accessible and very visible. You may know where it is but does you wife, kids and guest know? I f you have a fire you don't want to be lifting seats, moving gear, and have everyone hollering "where's the fire extinguisher
Also if it is readily accesible you are more likely to inspect it to make sure it is still charged. Remember PAS (Pull the pin. Aim and sweep)
Now if you are not to macho I would strongly suggest you have a fire drill on your boat just as you would/should in your house. Your family and friends deserve it.
"
Oops I forgot the other S in PASS i.e. "Squeze the handle. Somebody would have caught me!

dpolen
03-01-2008, 06:07 AM
original was swapped out for Halon

Somewhat of a threadjack, but how long should one consider their extinguisher to be ok? My boat is a '98, assume the extinguisher is original equipment...the pin on the guage showed good status last time I looked....$25 for a new one is very cheap insurance should an emergency occur. TMC...What are the benefits of going to a Halon type?

My parents old SeaRay had a built-in system in the engine compartment...I wonder why MC doesn't put these on their boats, V-Drives specifically...nowhere to mount on a direct drive.

TMCNo1
03-01-2008, 06:47 AM
Somewhat of a threadjack, but how long should one consider their extinguisher to be ok? My boat is a '98, assume the extinguisher is original equipment...the pin on the guage showed good status last time I looked....$25 for a new one is very cheap insurance should an emergency occur. TMC...What are the benefits of going to a Halon type?

My parents old SeaRay had a built-in system in the engine compartment...I wonder why MC doesn't put these on their boats, V-Drives specifically...nowhere to mount on a direct drive.

The regular powdered sodium kinds needs to be taken out and shook several times a year to get the powder suspended in the gas after it has settled, if not most of what will come out is just the gas charge. Halon is a gas that replaces the air in a fire and smothers it and it will not rust everything like the powdered sodium extinguishers do after they have been discharged on a fire and any kind of moisture gets to it and it's very difficult to clean up.

May explain more, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halon_1301

dpolen
03-01-2008, 09:18 AM
The regular powdered sodium kinds needs to be taken out and shook several times a year to get the powder suspended in the gas after it has settled, if not most of what will come out is just the gas charge. Halon is a gas that replaces the air in a fire and smothers it and it will not rust everything like the powdered sodium extinguishers do after they have been discharged on a fire and any kind of moisture gets to it and it's very difficult to clean up.

May explain more, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halon_1301

Thank you very much Harold...end of my threadjack, proceed as you were.

JohnnyB
03-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Here's where mine was on my 92 ProStar....

I mounted it there so that it was reasonably easy for the driver to get at......the factory bracket requires the flip of a tab and its loose.

JimN
03-01-2008, 09:34 AM
They came with extinguishers in the past but not everyone wants it in the same place. That's why the dealers were supposed to ask and place it where they wanted it.

JohnnyB
03-01-2008, 09:39 AM

Accessibility is important because the typical boat sized unit only lasts 8-10 seconds....you need to get it on a fire as soon as it happens....if the fire has time, you'll never be able to put it out.

I learned this with a friend who had a car catch fire on the highway....we had three people stop with units this size....I had enough time to sweep accross the top of the engine compartment once and the underside once and it was out.

If the truck driver had shown up with his fire extinguisher first instead of fourth, we probably could've put it out with the one he brought.

Needless to say, the whole thing burned up and my friend got a ticket for littering.

JohnnyB
03-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Accessibility being important, can one of the PS197 owners with one permanently mounted post a pic??

Like the others, mine is under the observers seat to the right hand side of the battery.

Probably not the best place because, in panic, its going to be hard to get people off the seat and get the seat open and find it.