PDA

View Full Version : Car Lift

Prostar Rich
02-29-2008, 10:40 AM
I am looking to install an overhead car lift. I am going to install this lift at the garage I have at my lake home and space will be a factor. I was considering a single post lift for this reason. Anyone here have one?

Thanks,
Prostar Rich

Workin' 4 Toys
02-29-2008, 10:46 AM
No I don't. Are you using it for storing a car?

Prostar Rich
02-29-2008, 10:49 AM

Mostly for work on my cars. When I am there I may want to have the ability to store a car.

Prostar Rich

Prostar Rich
02-29-2008, 10:49 AM

Mostly for work on my cars. When I am there I may want to have the ability to store a car.

Prostar Rich

M-Funf
02-29-2008, 11:13 AM
If it's primarily for working on a car, you should consider a two post asymmetric lift. They lift from the lifting pads and keep the underside of the car free to work. For storage, a four post lift is usually better...

Whatever you do, don't go cheap on a lift...your life is worth more than the money you save on a cheap lift.

I'd go with Bendpak or Nussbaum...

dog paw
02-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Like Funuf said dont go the cheap! Rotary 10,000lb for me...

Your floor is something to consider also, I think it has to be at LEAST 3inch reenforced. I had them dig out footers where the post are on mine when they poured the floor, also have steel in the creat.

Sorry if my lower shop looks a bit getto I did "almost" finish the drywall LOL! Never enough time.....

ridesdirt
02-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Single post lift requires a lot of underground work, they are really obsolete.

Ditto on other comments, recommend 10K lift, 2 post over 4, and check the floor!

Prostar Rich
02-29-2008, 11:50 AM

Your floor is something to consider also, I think it has to be at LEAST 3inch reenforced. I had them dig out footers where the post are on mine when they poured the floor, also have steel in the creat.

Sorry if my lower shop looks a bit getto I did "almost" finish the drywall LOL! Never enough time.....

Thanks for the tip on the concrete. I had the concrete redone last year and it's re-enforced. I have been planning on adding a lift for some time and the garage is old and needed new concrete anyway. I don't need the capacity that you have but you do have a very nice set up. Looking good.

Thanks,
Prostar Rich

stuartmcnair
02-29-2008, 12:42 PM

Assuming I ver get to build my garage this is the one I am going with. Only cause a good friend of mine is a mechanic and he uses these in his garage (and he has two spares that I will "borrow").

JKTX21
02-29-2008, 01:54 PM

Nice lift, these are what we primarily use in our shop!

uawaterskier
02-29-2008, 03:07 PM

jealous!!!! I want a lift in my garage. All I get is 4 jack stands and cold concrete. Well I guess thats better than outside though. Still nice setup

Prostar Rich
03-03-2008, 10:06 AM

Upon further review and speaking with other friends who have lifts I did decide to go with a 10,000lb rotary. The distrubutor that I purchased it through had it in stock. I am having cabinets installed this week and as soon as the lift is installed I will post pics.

Prostar Rich

dog paw
03-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Upon further review and speaking with other friends who have lifts I did decide to go with a 10,000lb rotary. The distrubutor that I purchased it through had it in stock. I am having cabinets installed this week and as soon as the lift is installed I will post pics.

Prostar Rich

Good call, I dont think you will be sorry. We have a couple 7500lb racks left at our dealership, they will not lift my 3/4 to Super Duty..

I got mine the same way, ordered it through our dealer equipment supplier. Did the install myself it took a couple buds to help upright the posts, lost some skin on the knuckles when the hammerdrill caught some rebar but other than that it went smooth.

Cabinets are also on my need badly list LOL! One day I'll get my cheap self in gear fire up the welder and make some

Justin, I got alot of old jackstands laying around, my gut overtook the vertical lift of the stands :D Sucks getting old...

Prostar Rich
03-03-2008, 12:20 PM
This has turned out to be quite the project on getting this garage set up. Like I mentioned I didn't want to use up too much space but for what I want to do it turned out the rotary unit was truly the way to go. I need the space for storage since this is the garage at my lake house. Want to end up with enough space to work on vehicles and store my boats. With the lighting and cabinets the $$ really starts to add up quick. Will post pics when completed.

Prostar Rich

Prostar Rich
03-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Got the word late yesterday afternoon that the cabinets are going to be delivered and installed today. Lift will be delivered on Thursday and set up on Friday. I am planning on heading up to the house early Thursday to get all this coordinated. I don't want to damage the coating on the floor. I had Amorseal 1000 HS coating applied last fall. Looks good and would like to keep it that way for awhile.

Prostar Rich

Prostar Rich
03-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Spoke with the cabinet installer this morning and he didn't have any problem geeting the cabinets and the stainless tops installed. Everything fit according to plan. Man do I like it when projects go according to plan. I am taking off late this afternoon to head up to the lake house and tomorrow the lift is going to be delivered. I will do a write up on this project and what I have left to do and I will include some pictures for you guys to critique.

Prostar Rich