PDA

View Full Version : wakeboard advice needed

TheOneandOnly
02-29-2008, 10:37 AM
I have a few friends that are all suggesting CWB for a wakeboard no specifics but say they are the best out their. Is this true? What type would you guys suggest for a beginner-intermidete/advanced. Our goal is to only buy one and be able to grow into it and not have to upgrade for a while.
Is liquid Force a good brand? What kind would you suggest?
Thx

76S&S
02-29-2008, 10:48 AM
We have 4 LF and 2 O'briens all of which have served us well.

Assuming you are looking for a beginner board, don't get a board that is to advanced as it may feel loose (unsteady) for a beginner.

RexDog1
02-29-2008, 10:55 AM
I am a very big CWB fan!!!! But with that said, you need to find a board that works for you, ride deferent boards out there……. what is your height, weight and riding level?

TheOneandOnly
02-29-2008, 11:01 AM
rexdog--6-1 180# beginner/intermidete

RexDog1
02-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Try to find a pro shop that has a rental program try a CWB Absolute 141 or a Faction :D IMHO
http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard9.asp?ProductID=3934 (http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard9.asp?ProductID=3934)

CarlosCabanas
02-29-2008, 11:11 AM
The Hyperlite State has been recommended to me as a board that will cross through the abilities from Beginner to expert.

Carlos

RexDog1
02-29-2008, 11:17 AM
The Hyperlite State has been recommended to me as a board that will cross through the abilities from Beginner to expert.

Carlos

I did ride the Hyperlight Era last summer and I did like it!!!!!!! :rolleyes: it was faster than the Absolute ;)

ULMboarder
02-29-2008, 11:55 AM
If you are a beginnner but are looking to progress alot, you will want something with variable edge and a 3-stage rocker. the hyperlite state is a good board. has a great hold when edging and will really launch you into the air. you will want something that has a channel or groove down the middle so you can hold it steady when you are learning but dont get a board with 4 removeable fins. you will have to ride with all (too much tracking for a better rider, wont break loose a easy) or none on( wont grab at all unless it has molded in fins).

ULMboarder
02-29-2008, 11:55 AM
If you are a beginnner but are looking to progress alot, you will want something with variable edge and a 3-stage rocker. the hyperlite state is a good board. has a great hold when edging and will really launch you into the air. you will want something that has a channel or groove down the middle so you can hold it steady when you are learning but dont get a board with 4 removeable fins. you will have to ride with all (too much tracking for a better rider, wont break loose a easy) or none on( wont grab at all unless it has molded in fins).

wakeX2wake
02-29-2008, 12:09 PM
I went from beginner to intermediate/advanced on a Hyperlite Parks board... I'm going to the Ronix Ibex board this year for an upgrade... My suggestion is to get a higher end board that has all the design advantages and is really light and makes you get better and you won't have to change boards as often... MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT SIZE... it will make all the difference... I like to get a board I like a ride/abuse it for a few years

Ole Miss Rebels
02-29-2008, 12:28 PM
wow, i am going to have a slightly different opinion here. i would suggest a continuous rocker as opposed to a three-stage. a continuous rocker is more easily controlled coming off the wake (it doesn't buck you as much and cause you to lose your postioning). the cwb absolute is a wonderful board but is very abrupt on the take-off. also, even with the center fin removed it is still very hard to break it loose. also, it rides low in the water and has a lot of drag, in my opinion.

for an advancing beginner, i like hyperlite's murray boards. they are a continuous rocker and if you take the center fin off they are loose enough to allow you to do surface 180's and butter-slides. they are very predictable and consistent. they are very good for a beginner all the way up to a rider of shaun murray's abililty. they have moderate pop and a soft landing. i agree that when in doubt always get the next size up. bigger is almost always better in buying a board. they land softer and are less likely to have the tip nose-in on you. if finances permit, get your own board and bindings and let everyone else get their own. the one-size-works-for-everyone theory is seriously flawed (again, finances considered). also, get the best bindings you can afford and make sure they are sized FOR YOU. i would suggest looking on-line for some of last-year's leftover equipment. i always buy a new board and binding for myself and my wife at Christmas time. you can save up to 75% off and the equipment is just as good as anything you will buy today. sometimes i find 2-3 year old models and am happy with that. go to wakeworld.com and go to their boards and bindings pages. they have reviews and descriptions of all mfg.'s boards for the last 5-7 years. send me a pm or e-mail if i can help further. good luck.

stuartmcnair
02-29-2008, 12:29 PM
my son has a new CWB..we have an old CWB as well. Love them both.

I have a Liquid Force Omega and that was recomended to me by a few dealers for what I want to do which sounds about the same as your goals. I did go ahead and get really, really good bindings though. That's where I chose to spend the extra money.

TheOneandOnly
02-29-2008, 02:39 PM
I bought a LIquid force ps3, trying to determine if I use that for a buddy board and buy something else or keep that and buy a used one... I got the LF transit bindings, what would u guys do?

Jerseydave
02-29-2008, 03:23 PM
I bought a LIquid force ps3, trying to determine if I use that for a buddy board and buy something else or keep that and buy a used one... I got the LF transit bindings, what would u guys do?

That sounds like a nice setup for your primary board. Ride it for a while and if satisfied by a cheaper setup as a "buddy board".

My first setup was a LF EVO, now that's used for teaching people or as a "loaner" board. I ride a LF Watson. (autographed by him) :)

uawaterskier
02-29-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't board to much anymore, but I ride a CWB when I do. It is a lot wider than a lot of the other boards on the market, and it lands really stable.

mccobmd
02-29-2008, 07:10 PM
I have a liquid force team 142, am 6'4" adn 190 lbs, It has been stable and forgiving but also lets me advance at my pace, I think you can't go wrong with a upper level board from any of the brands above.

Lennyp04
02-29-2008, 07:20 PM
RONIX!!! Deffs check them out! I have a Ronix Vault 144 and I love it

Jerseydave
02-29-2008, 07:51 PM
RONIX!!! Deffs check them out! I have a Ronix Vault 144 and I love it

Wow, a 144 is a big board. How much do you weigh? I ride a Watson 138, I'm 6ft and 175 lbs.

TheOneandOnly
02-29-2008, 09:42 PM
the ps3 is a 141 and I weight 176 should I have went with the smaller 138

Covi
02-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Can anyone get a height/weight, board length chart? I would imagine rider level has to be taken account?

Lennyp04
02-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Wow, a 144 is a big board. How much do you weigh? I ride a Watson 138, I'm 6ft and 175 lbs.

Yeah I get that alot....um I'm 6'1" 206!!!haha I lost weight Im down from 210.

Slowly but surely! I'm considering selling the 144 and getting a 139 however I talked to the guy at Surf and Offshore and he said that since we have an MC its better to stay with the bigger board since I am a little bit on the heavy side so that I dont end up coming down and snapping the board....plus its softer landings with the bigger board...I love my surf carves with that board. But it really is a technological advance having the heelside edge molded differently then the toeside since Ronix realized that when your on your toeside edge your working against your body so they designed it differently.

JoshBuzz
02-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Board size varies from rider to rider. I ride a Hyperlite Tribute and it is a very aggressive hybrid rocker. I'm 6'4" and I ride a 142, but our team president is 5'8" and weighs 170 and also rides a 142. The landings are butter cause there is more to break the water and it's more forgiving. You really have to know your board though or the deep channels will throw you over the top!! I say the bigger the better always.

badams
03-02-2008, 01:57 PM

That is a good setup. A buddy of mine has been riding the same setup and really likes it. I have the transit bindings and they are about as comfortable as you can get.