PDA

View Full Version : '84 S&S Project Boat

drylandfish
02-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Well folks I've been lurking on TT for a month or so trying to gain some knowledge about restoring my first MC and have decided to put some pics of it in my gallery. In the upcoming months I'm sure I'm gonna be asking a lot of questions that have probably been answered before. So, any comments or advice along the way of the restoration will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

flipper
02-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Nice boat....keep the pics and updates coming.

ProTour X9
02-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Welcome!!! We'll.......ok they'll be a great deal of help...

drylandfish
02-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks Flipper. I've got some more pics to post. It was too cold to be outside shooting them yesterday. I'll probably do a step by step if anyone wants to see it.

icewake
02-28-2008, 04:12 PM
a step by step would be great, please do it

flipper
02-28-2008, 04:13 PM
a step by step would be great, please do it

ditto.....

drylandfish
02-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Just have some patience with me and I'll keep everyone updated.

M-Funf
02-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Good looking project boat! Does it run and float? If so, then the rest is easy(er)

454Prostar190
02-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Sweet project and good colors! The hull looks like it's in pretty good shape and that deck should clean up pretty easily. I did mine last year and it was almost painless!

drylandfish
02-28-2008, 05:04 PM
M-Funf she floats but has a blown head gasket. 454 it looks white due to the heavy oxidation. It's actually cream. There are some bad nicks and chips right above the rub rail, so I've got gel coat repairs to think about.

VOLFAN
02-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Looks good. Should be a fun project! So what have you got done the last two days you have been off? Let me know if I can be of any assistance. We will expect an unveiling at the Center Hill Bash.

icewake
02-28-2008, 06:45 PM
if you need any help i am generally available on the weekends also

ShamrockIV
02-28-2008, 06:48 PM
see i told u drylandfish!!!! center hillbillies unite!!!!!
I do not know how many of us we are gonna need, but i know how many we are gonna use!!!!

drylandfish
02-28-2008, 06:49 PM
I've done nothing to the boat except remove the seats. I will probably refinish the teak platform first just to get it off the boat and out of my way. I've got to measure all the lettering and stars so when I want to put a new set on I'll know where the correct placement is. Anyone have a good source for the graphics? Anyone use Stellar on ebay? I need them to be in cream.

ShamrockIV
02-28-2008, 06:53 PM
see farmer ted on here!!!

Slinkyredfoot
02-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Just have some patience with me and I'll keep everyone updated.

An ex girlfriend said the same thing to me a couple of years ago...

Nice boat...

mlay
02-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Well folks I've been lurking on TT for a month or so trying to gain some knowledge about restoring my first MC and have decided to put some pics of it in my gallery. In the upcoming months I'm sure I'm gonna be asking a lot of questions that have probably been answered before. So, any comments or advise along the way of the restoration will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Nice, I have an 82 I am working on. Had it for a few months now. The members on this site are great and I have really benefited from their advice. I was lucky and the engine was fine, other items lacking in care but I am working through it. Let me know if I can assist, I am new here but this is my first MC, and have learned as I go so to speak. I will try to post photos soon but honestly just got the "inside scoop" on that tonight.

Good luck!!!

drylandfish
02-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks everyone for all of the positive comments. Sounds like were in the same boat mlay.:toast:

h2oskifreak
02-28-2008, 10:20 PM
I've done nothing to the boat except remove the seats. I will probably refinish the teak platform first just to get it off the boat and out of my way. I've got to measure all the lettering and stars so when I want to put a new set on I'll know where the correct placement is. Anyone have a good source for the graphics? Anyone use Stellar on ebay? I need them to be in cream.

I understand getting the platform off for ease of working. What about starting on the engine first, the you could ski her as the cosmetics come together? Finish the details later, start w/ your drive train 1st is $ allow, if not do what makes you happy and keeps the project rolin. I would love to see the pics. as you come along. God speed

drylandfish
02-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Right now i'm trying to come up with my game plan. I would love to have her running asap, but I've got another boat (not a MC) to pull me around until I can get her going. Yes $ is a factor becuse I'm an underpaid high school teacher. I've wanted a S&S since I was a kid so I can wait a few more months.

dichdoc
02-28-2008, 10:44 PM
I am a 84 expert! If you subscribe to see one, do one, teach one! send me the dash panels I 'll jewel them for you and have them back to you say.... winter 2015. Travis

drylandfish
02-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Yeah doc I have read your thread a couple of times. It's inspiring. I teach art, so when I was in college I took a metals class and taught myself the art of engine turning/jeweling. It's nerve racking but rewarding in the end. I used a wooden dowel in a drill press on 16 gauge nickel. Shiney!

h2oskifreak
02-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Glad to hear your dream of a classic is coming true. Also glad to hear you will have a summer on the water if it is behind this boat or another. Rock on.

drylandfish
02-28-2008, 11:02 PM
I have been on Center Hill Lake every summer since the early 80's. I don't plan on missing a summer. Some of my favorite memories are made there...I'm sure that goes for everyone on TT.

SunCoast 83
03-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Congrats on the boat, def a great find. I like the Cream/Blue colors, not common. I've been slowly overhauling mine over the last 2 years. Its great to see people bringing these great boats back to life. If you need anything, let us know.

drylandfish
03-01-2008, 04:13 AM
Thanks Jay. You've evidently put some elbow grease in yours. Very nice boat. Right now I just need a lead on the correct graphics. Like I stated in #1 I'm gonna be asking some questions, so thanks for the offer on some help/advice.

ShamrockIV
03-01-2008, 08:02 PM
hey drylandfish u up for a drag race???
my s&s against urs????

drylandfish
03-01-2008, 10:55 PM
My 351 against your 440...lets not and say we did. I did powerwash the funk off the boat and trailer today, removed the platform, gas tank, drivers seat, observers seat and base, mirror, cup holder, and the rotted side panels.

drylandfish
03-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Today I powerwashed the teak and let it dry. It looks better already. Now for the sanding and teak oil.32016

flipper
03-02-2008, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=drylandfish] I'm an underpaid high school teacher.QUOTE]

There ya go!!!!!! Detention can be work on the boat. Free labor.:D

drylandfish
04-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Okay folks it's starting to warm up here, so I have tried to do some work this week. After I let the teak dry out I put a couple of light coats of oil on. Hopefully it will be nice here this weekend and I can do some sanding with a finer grit and apply some more oil. I know it's not up to everyone's standards yet or even mine, but be patient. Actually it looks pretty good compared to the way it did when I brought the boat home. It's previous condition can be seen in my gallery pics. 33807

drylandfish
04-17-2008, 07:47 PM
I also took the time to remove the windshield, gauge pod, and steering wheel. Due to the number of people that have used properboatcare.com I ordered one of their kits and plan on getting started on the gel coat this weekend too. Wish me luck. 33809

Slinkyredfoot
04-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Good luck...the old MC is taking shape. Take your time and have fun with it...........;)

edwinfuqua
04-17-2008, 08:07 PM
I woulden't do much more it looks good. You might end up with a $30K $10K boat if you keep it up. BTW looks like somebody has replaced the wornout and leaking rubrail. That was one of the bigest problems on my '85. It's not a show car is it?

Slinkyredfoot
04-17-2008, 08:12 PM
I woulden't do much more it looks good. You might end up with a $30K $10K boat if you keep it up. BTW looks like somebody has replaced the wornout and leaking rubrail. That was one of the bigest problems on my '85. It's not a show car is it?

Looks like it has a better chance to be a show boat..........:rolleyes:

drylandfish
04-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Well my camera and I must take good photos, because the boat is severely oxidized. If you look behind the ft and before the next star you'll see a circle I hand buffed. This was almost the only spot on the boat that had a reflection. It's so oxidized it looks like it's been sand blasted. Toward the front things are not as bad though. I guess it's not always in direct sunlight due to the shape of the hull. The rub rail has not been replaced either, but it needs it.

Cloaked
04-17-2008, 09:39 PM
It's a show car if he wants it to be. Show cars come with heart and soul of work and appreciation. Of course if one has to ask, no, it's not a show car, but all said and done, the boat is priceless to the man working it.

Dryland, nice looking machine.

drylandfish
04-18-2008, 12:10 AM
It is sort of priceless to me since I have wanted a S&S since I was a kid. Long story short: I teach w/ the previous owner. I have sat to her left at lunch for over a year and a half. One day were talking about Center Hill Lake and then she says, "Were thinking about selling our boat if you know someone looking for one." Turns out her hubby has a bad back and they have let it sit for a few years w/ a blown head gasket. He has no interest in skiing anymore and they want someone else to enjoy it. I ask what type of boat it is and she said it was a S&S. I told her I wanted to take a look at it...so I could have a description for anyone interested. So, I look it over, ask all kinds of questions, ask the price, she said $1,500, I said sold. So, I doubt I'll ever have 10K in it much less 30K. I get a big $#!T eating grin every time I look at it.

Rick_Seebeck
04-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Hey!

I just started an restore on an 83. I posted a few pics of the floor cut out and the water logged foam removed. If you have questions let me know and will help any way I can.

Rick

drylandfish
04-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Well it's slow going but she's starting to shine. I've polished everything from the rub rail up and am very pleased. I just wanted to post a pic of her reflecting the the prettiest day we've had here this year. 34125

VOLFAN
04-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Looking good fish! Can't wait to see it out on CHL! Keep up the good work!

454Prostar190
04-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Well it's slow going but she's starting to shine. I've polished everything from the rub rail up and am very pleased. I just wanted to post a pic of her reflecting the the prettiest day we've had here this year. 34125

Great Shine! What did you use if I may ask? I have been experimenting for the last few years, have tried a lot of things and couldn't get down to the real rich color in the gelcoat and after I had it in the water the haze would come back. Then, last year I found an old can of Turtle Wax, tried a spot and couldn't believe it! The thing is that, it held and still looks deep and rich. It was too easy! Rick

drylandfish
04-26-2008, 03:13 PM
454 I started w/ the Gel Coat Labs - Heavy Cut Compound on an Aggressor wool pad @ 1,200-1,300 RPM. Gel Coat Labs - Fine Cut Polish on an Avenger wool pad @ 1,300-1,400 RPM. I'm using a DeWalt 849 circular polisher. I ordered all of this stuff from properboatcare.com. Other than that I use whats always worked for me. 3M Perfect It II and 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. A couple of coats of each of those. I then seal it all up with a couple of coats of a good paste wax. Right now I'm getting great results with Mothers California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax. I've got two coats of that on there too. I'm sure it's overkill in many peoples book, but whatever makes me happy ya know?

TMCNo1
04-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Great Shine! What did you use if I may ask? I have been experimenting for the last few years, have tried a lot of things and couldn't get down to the real rich color in the gelcoat and after I had it in the water the haze would come back. Then, last year I found an old can of Turtle Wax, tried a spot and couldn't believe it! The thing is that, it held and still looks deep and rich. It was too easy! Rick

The old waxes work so much better than the new hi-tech stuff we are now being marketed. This new stuff is garbage, for the lazy azz people who don't want to or don't have the initiative to put a little work in finish maintenance. Just buying what is for sale and being told it's the best is not good enough , cause what you use, will make a difference, but most don't know what the real difference is!

drylandfish
04-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Well I'm gonna let the cat out of the bag. I use a wax that my dad had stashed away that was made in the late 70's. I have been fortunate enough to have a few cans to use over the years and it's something that I always put on last. I agree that todays waxes and polishes are inferior to the carnauba paste waxes of the past. They may take more time to apply and remove, but the results usually speak for themselves. Anyway, I don't know if this stuff can even be purchased anymore, but this is the blue cleaner wax. I also have it in yellow. It's the finest I've ever used and I'm almost out. So, before the '84 hits the water this is what I'll be putting on. Anybody know if this stuff is still available? I've NEVER seen it on a shelf in any auto parts store. I guess I can search the web for it. 34137

drylandfish
04-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Well it didn't take long to answer my own question. www.prowax.com Looks like they still make the yellow wax plus tons of other stuff.

TMCNo1
04-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Around here, Pro products are sold mainly by a franchise guy in a big box truck to new car, used car dealers, local detailers and specialty shops that sell automotive maintenance products. The yellow carnuba waxes they market are very much like Meguier's #16 that I still have and use that the California CARB laws has had removed from the market.

drylandfish
04-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks Harold. Oh, by the way, since your the teak master what is the purpose of using tilex. I know it's a cleaner, but whats it's function on teak? I'm waiting for a hot sunny day to finish mine. Thought it was gonna be today...I was wrong.

TMCNo1
04-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks Harold. Oh, by the way, since your the teak master what is the purpose of using tilex. I know it's a cleaner, but whats it's function on teak? I'm waiting for a hot sunny day to finish mine. Thought it was gonna be today...I was wrong.

It gets out/kills/bleaches any black/dark mold/mildew/stains/choke smoke in the grain and between the slats and acts like the Brightener that comes in the 3 piece Starbright kit along with the Cleaner and Teal Oil Sealer/Preserver in the white bottle. A good biodegradable cleaner, stiff scrub brush and Tilex will accomplish the same thing, so all you need to get is the Teak Oil.
Just like what you do to paint on a house before you repaint if there are spots of mold/mildew on the paint/gables/soffit/overhangs, etc., You haveto/need to neutralize it first or after you paint, the mold will bleed thru and actually get worse, I lived that life before I met a real house painter, who cleaned his jobs first, then painted.
How that from the "Master"?:rolleyes: :D :uglyhamme

drylandfish
04-26-2008, 07:53 PM
I've truly been enlightened! 8p

TMCNo1
04-26-2008, 08:05 PM
I've truly been enlightened! 8p
:uglyhamme Another boring Saturday Night, right?
Now if if could figure how to prevent my exhaust flappers from hanging up in the platform slats, all would be right with the world!:uglyhamme

drylandfish
04-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Bored? No. Frustrated? Yes. I've been trying to get an even color across the back and I can still see where the old stars, letters, and platform were. I've worked and worked and I'm about to say f-it for the night. Oh well it is 24 years old. Would anyone recommend wetsanding or should I just live with it? 34139

TMCNo1
04-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Bored? No. Frustrated? Yes. I've been trying to get an even color across the back and I can still see where the old stars, letters, and platform were. I've worked and worked and I'm about to say f-it for the night. Oh well it is 24 years old. Would anyone recommend wetsanding or should I just live with it? 34139

You may never get the true color as you see under the stars to return due to fading, but a fine wet sanding and polishing may help, but if your replacing the stars and side decals it will probably never be seen. Just have the replacement decals made 1/16" or so larger all around and it will absorb any color differences that you may see around and under the old decal locations.

drylandfish
04-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the advice again. Now for my next question since you mentioned exhaust flappers. Does a 3" flapper sound right for my boat? Skidim item #0817? Also, would it be a bad idea to remove my platform brackets to clean them up? I don't want to bolt through at this time or use removable brackets. I don't want to do something I'm gonna regret either.

dichdoc
04-26-2008, 09:19 PM
I would be leary of un lagging your brackets. If they're not loose now I'd leave them alone if you don't want to do the bolt thing. Travis

drylandfish
04-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks Travis. The outside brackets are rock solid. The small one in the middle just needed a few turns of a phillips to snug it up. I guess I'll mask off the area surrounding the brackets w/ 3 or 4 layers of thick 2" tape and lightly hit them with a soft wire wheel/drill to clean them up. Maybe use my dremel in the tight spots.

H20skeefreek
04-26-2008, 09:54 PM
DO NOT TAKE THOSE BOLTS OUT if you aren't ready to convert to thru-bolts.

sethro
04-26-2008, 10:02 PM
That could quite possibly be the first 84ish Stars and Stripes I've heard of with no issues regarding the platform brackets/lag bolts.

drylandfish
04-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Okay, I'll leave them in. I've got enough to do to it this year w/out cutting two holes in the floor. They really are solid. I weigh about 193 lbs. and the platform had no issues holding me before I removed it. There are a couple of stress cracks around one or two of the bolts, but for now I'll just keep an eye on them. Through bolts or removable brackets may be something to deal with next winter. Thanks guys.

TMCNo1
04-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the advice again. Now for my next question since you mentioned exhaust flappers. Does a 3" flapper sound right for my boat? Skidim item #0817? Also, would it be a bad idea to remove my platform brackets to clean them up? I don't want to bolt through at this time or use removable brackets. I don't want to do something I'm gonna regret either.

#0817 is right for the 3". If you don't want to take the brackets off right now, just tape them off good, clean them up and coat with a good quality semi-gloss black. If you do choose to remove them and clean up the gelcoat under and around them, be sure to seal all the bolt/lag bolt areas with a good marine silicone when you reinstall.

Willski
04-26-2008, 11:35 PM
Lookin good so far!! I don't know why you guys keep talking like the 84 is a good boat to restore? It is the only boat I've ever owned!!

454Prostar190
04-28-2008, 10:34 AM
That could quite possibly be the first 84ish Stars and Stripes I've heard of with no issues regarding the platform brackets/lag bolts.

My platform brackets on my '82 are also tight. I haven't ever had any issues since I have had it and trust me.... I'm not touching them!

drylandfish
09-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Well friends it's been nearly five months since I have had the chance to work on my S&S, but last week I started back on the project. In the past week I have compounded and polished the drivers side and a little over half of the passenger side. Tonight I plan to finish everything but the areas that the trailer fenders block so that I can get the trailer out from under it. Over the next couple of weeks I hope to have the bottom, the trailer fenders, gauge pod, and the observers seat base compounded and polished. The first couple of weeks in October I'm on fall break (I'm a high school teacher) and plan on finally getting the engine out to start it's rebuild. So, for now, here are a few pics of whats left to compound on the passenger side.

drylandfish
09-11-2008, 08:08 PM
And another...

Slinkyredfoot
09-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Looks very good so far, keep up the good work.

BTW, the bottom of the boat is always the toughest, it never really looks new anymore but WTH...

Nice looking restore.

drylandfish
09-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Looks very good so far, keep up the good work.

BTW, the bottom of the boat is always the toughest, it never really looks new anymore but WTH...

Nice looking restore.

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to the numbness in my arms while lying on a creeper. :rolleyes: I noticed awhile back that your boat has the rub rail that I may be interested in putting on my boat to help cover a few chips in the gel coat. It seems to be wider than the stock aluminum and rubber strip on the boat now. I know West Marine sells rub rails made by Taco that look similar. Do you happen to know the dimensions on yours?

ShamrockIV
09-11-2008, 08:56 PM
hey bro boat looks awesome!!!!!!!!!

i knew you had it in you!!!!!!

TMCNo1
09-11-2008, 09:03 PM
It's looking great. keep up the good work!

Slinkyredfoot
09-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks. I'm really looking forward to the numbness in my arms while lying on a creeper. :rolleyes: I noticed awhile back that your boat has the rub rail that I may be interested in putting on my boat to help cover a few chips in the gel coat. It seems to be wider than the stock aluminum and rubber strip on the boat now. I know West Marine sells rub rails made by Taco that look similar. Do you happen to know the dimensions on yours?

I do not know the dimensions of the rail right off the top of my head but I will get them for you.

I will say this, when I was restoring my boat, my original rail was different than the traditional aluminum, with black composite pressed in between.

Keeping with what was original on my boat when it was new, I could only find a rail material that was all black and slightly wider than the original. The transition into the back vent was not the look I was hoping for, but still looks great..hope this pic gives you a detail...

drylandfish
09-11-2008, 09:24 PM
I do not know the dimensions of the rail right off the top of my head but I will get them for you.

I will say this, when I was restoring my boat, my original rail was different than the traditional aluminum, with black composite pressed in between.

Keeping with what was original on my boat when it was new, I could only find a rail material that was all black and slightly wider than the original. The transition into the back vent was not the look I was hoping for, but still looks great..hope this pic gives you a detail...

Thanks in advance for getting those dimensions. I saw another thread on here about a month ago where someone had replaced their rub rail with one similar to yours. I believe it was a late 70's model possibly metalflake blue/wht? Anyone know the thread?

I would like to keep the boat as close to original as possible. The only things I plan to change are the rub rail, the prop, possibly add a stereo, and LEDs on the trailer.

drylandfish
09-11-2008, 10:05 PM
BTW I need to replace my center fin while I have the boat off the trailer. Anybody have a source for a new one?

TMCNo1
09-11-2008, 10:45 PM
BTW I need to replace my center fin while I have the boat off the trailer. Anybody have a source for a new one?

Here is one, http://www.elberts.com/underwatergear.htm

drylandfish
09-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Here is one, http://www.elberts.com/underwatergear.htm

Thanks Harold!

SunCoast 83
09-11-2008, 10:51 PM
That boat is looking good. You should go ahead and re- paint the windshield frame while you have it off the boat.

VOLFAN
09-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Looking great Fish!

Darn fine work you do!

drylandfish
09-11-2008, 11:00 PM
That boat is looking good. You should go ahead and re- paint the windshield frame while you have it off the boat.

Thats on the list of things to do. Along with replacing the side windows. They look crappy around the weatherseals. Like they have small cracks in them. I would like to keep the original Taylors, but I guess I'll be putting in plexiglass unless someone has a better suggestion.

dichdoc
09-11-2008, 11:00 PM
I powder coated my windshield frame for what its worth. While it was off and in pieces. Just a thought. TB

drylandfish
09-15-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm at a stopping point for the day on my engine removal and am looking for some advice/opinions. The engine is ready to remove except I need to know if the engine can be removed w/out taking the transmission out with it. Do I unbolt the block from the bellhousing that contains the flywheel and dampner? Do I remove the four bolts that attach the transmission to the bellhousing? Or do I unbolt the drive shaft from the tranny and lift the engine and tranny out as one unit?

Bellinghamster
09-15-2008, 11:42 PM
I find it much easier to take out the engine and tranny together. Oftentimes the spline will stick a bit in the transmission shaft/damper plate, making separation a bit of a chore especially in the confines of the boat. You can separate the two and leave the transmission in place, but you'd definitely want to uncouple the shaft to prevent it from getting twinked while you're muscling the engine around, and loosen the mounts, and block it up since it doesn't balance on it's mounts... and once you've done that, it's nearly ready to pull along with the engine anyway.

Pull the bolts that mount the bellhousing to the block to get them apart. I can't recall exactly, but there may be some bolts inside the bellhousing that fasten it to the transmission.

drylandfish
10-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Well, my two week fall break has arrived and I thought I would get everyone up to date on my project. Two weeks ago I pulled the engine and tranny as one unit. I lifted it out with my dads 1530 John Deere. After everything was loose it took all of about 30 seconds to have it out of the boat and into the shop floor.

Today I drove the engine to the place I'm having it rebuilt at, powerwashed/degreased the hull, and removed leaves and about 2 dozen different species of spiders. The previous owners had cats and I believe they lived under the dash/bow with the leaves and spiders. I wish I would have taken a before shot under there, but I didn't. Yes, I crawled my 6'1" 190lb being under the dash with a brush and a hose and cleaned it out. No, I don't like spiders but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Here's a couple of pics from today. 41022

ShamrockIV
10-07-2008, 08:43 AM
looks good bro!!!!
i agree with volfan you do good work.
got to put you to work on my 209!!!!

dichdoc
10-07-2008, 10:23 PM
NICE! Let's get that pylon out and off to the powder coater with all the other stuff to meet the Minimum price. TB

VOLFAN
01-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Has this became a class project yet? I am sure you are wanting to have it out on the water this spring... right?

drylandfish
01-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Well I'm picking my engine up Monday after work, so I hope to have it back in the boat soon. In the past week I repaired the center tracking fin, replaced the ignition switch, horn button, and all of the fuse holders. Next weekend I'm gonna install a new bilge pump, new steering system and cable, change the tranny fluid, and get the engine/tranny ready to drop back in.

Actually, an interesting thing happened today. A friend of mine contacted me today that has a building full of foam blocks. A few months ago he offered some of them to me because he thought my students might be able to carve something out of them. So, since I never picked them up I asked if he still had them. He said he had plenty, so I went to check them out. When I saw the blocks the first thing I thought of was the rear seat of my '84. He wanted to give me 6, I took 4. Got home, took one off the truck and dropped it in where the rear seat goes. Guess what? It's almost a perfect fit. Perfect height and depth, but lacks just a little in width. So now I have a solution to my nearly destroyed rear seat. Plus I will have 3 back up blocks if I mess up carving it out. Best thing about it was they were FREE!

But to answer your question. Yes, it should be on the water Memorial Day weekend this coming spring. That's my goal anyway. I'll post some new pics soon.

VOLFAN
01-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Give me a call and I will come out and take a look at it in person and we can have a cold beverage! It is looking good!

wilbucd
01-17-2009, 12:54 AM

That really brings the color back out. It looks great! I just brought this 85 home today. I'll be starting on it as soon as it warms up enough to give it a good bath. I'll be checking this thread often. Keep the pictures coming!

thatsmrmastercraft
01-17-2009, 04:23 AM
That really brings the color back out. It looks great! I just brought this 85 home today. I'll be starting on it as soon as it warms up enough to give it a good bath. I'll be checking this thread often. Keep the pictures coming!

Great looking boat. Did you get two windshields with the boat, or is it off in one pic, and on in the next. I only ask because I am in need of a windshield for my 77 stars and stripes.

wilbucd
01-17-2009, 10:19 AM
No the first boat belongs to drylandfish. 2nd boat is mine. I justed posted his pic to point out the great looking job he is doing with the buffing. I like seeing what mine will look like when it's done.

drylandfish
03-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Does anybody have any idea what size o-rings go on the stock rudder of an '84? One of mine looks slightly larger on the outside diameter. Could be from wear, but I want to replace them just for peace of mind.

SunCoast 83
04-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Any updates on this one?.......

ShamrockIV
04-04-2009, 08:18 AM
he will update. he has it shining better than it did new!!!

drylandfish
04-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Yes I will be doing an update. Give me about a week. I'm leaving town tonight and will not be back until Sunday night. All of my spare time next week is going to be spent on another project for work. Hopefully I can have some pics up on the 18th of this month.

Anyway, it's going slower than planned, but it's looking real good. I can tell you that I have finished compounding the boat itself. The bottom looks amazing. I installed new strut bushings last weekend and installed the new drive shaft and dripless seal. Gonna leave off the new prop off until I actually take it to the water. Right now I'm waiting to get a few hoses for the engine and fuel tank. I still need some info on the correct size of the o-rings on the rudder if anyone knows the correct size. I think I have the right ones in, but nobody likes a leaky boat!

VOLFAN
04-09-2009, 12:38 PM
good deal fish! I want to come by and see it!

drylandfish
04-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Okay, I said I'd try to update the thread today so here are a few shots of the boat off of the trailer. The first two pics are of the passenger side after I finished compounding/polishing the area that I couldn't get to due to the trailer being in the way. The third is a pic of the bottom after compounding/polishing. Not a real good shot, but you can see a good reflection toward the rear. You can also see the new strut bushings. Fourth pic is where I finished the nose of the boat after taking off the light and the lifting ring. Last pic was me just trying to be artsy. The drive shaft is now in and the engine/trans are ready to go in. Hopefully that will finally get done next weekend. Slowly but surely.

VOLFAN
04-19-2009, 01:38 PM
looking good fish! Keep the updates coming... i am looking forward to seeing it on the water.

SunCoast 83
04-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Looks awesome man!

panshovel68
04-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Great job so far with the s&s. I have a similar project going with a 90 ps190. I started with the interior and motor, but I will be refrenceing your thread and Shepards thread when I get to the exterior. LOOKS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrandonKTM
04-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Hey, I read you are waiting on doing the screws for the brackets? My 84 S & S brackets were fine, then the next day, movement on one side. The fix is easy if you have the fuel tank out already as you just thru bolt 'em instead of the screws that were stock. If it were mine, I'd do it while your doing all this other work. I think you did a great job with the buffing. Thats my next project as this year I just went around the decals. Next winter new decals and mega buffing.

CantRepeat
04-20-2009, 05:56 PM

Old school wax www.harlywax.com (http://www.harlywax.com) no cleaners in it just pure wax.

drylandfish
12-21-2009, 11:55 PM
After seeing pics of a certain rusty trailer I have been inspired to update this thread with some pics of my trailer. I had it sandblasted and painted to match the fenders, but I did the following: compounded the fenders, rebuilt the hubs (bearings, seals, marine grease, studs), new aluminum wheels/radial tires/lug nuts, added a spare, new bunks/carpet, all LED lights (except for the licence plate bracket), Fulton F2 jack/winch, vinyl graphics from BAWS, safety cables, and all stainless or galvanized hardware. These pics were taken in the summer and early fall, so since then I added a LED ID bar, stainless bearing buddies w/ covers, and the v/nose bunk.

drylandfish
12-22-2009, 12:00 AM
more...

thatsmrmastercraft
12-22-2009, 12:01 AM
After seeing pics of a certain rusty trailer I have been inspired to update this thread with some pics of my trailer. I had it sandblasted and painted to match the fenders, but I did the following: compounded the fenders, rebuilt the hubs (bearings, seals, marine grease, studs), new aluminum wheels/radial tires/lug nuts, added a spare, new bunks/carpet, all LED lights (except for the licence plate bracket), Fulton F2 jack/winch, vinyl graphics from BAWS, safety cables, and all stainless or galvanized hardware. These pics were taken in the summer and early fall, so since then I added a LED ID bar, stainless bearing buddies w/ covers, and the v/nose bunk.

Quite the transformation. Definitely lookin' good!

drylandfish
12-22-2009, 12:04 AM
and more...

drylandfish
12-22-2009, 12:06 AM
and more...

drylandfish
12-22-2009, 12:08 AM
and you guessed it... some more...

drylandfish
12-22-2009, 12:11 AM
almost done...

drylandfish
12-22-2009, 12:24 AM
this should do it for tonight...

TayMC197
12-22-2009, 02:20 AM

I had my gel coat reworked back in August, well I had the people remove all the old graphics. When I got the boat back it look show room new but I could still see where the old graphics were. I was asking the fiberglass guy what to do or exspect. His words to me were, put your new graphics on and the spots that still show will match. He reasoning was, once the boat is back in the sun, it will bleach the old graphic spots to match. About 1 month later, I couldn't see the spots anymore. After about 2 weeks I could see them but had to look for them. Just give it some time in the sun.

Looks great, I spent a lot of time on mine last winter refinishing it. I know the work invovled and thankfully didn't have to go into as much detail as you. Check out my album and ask questions if you need.

DemolitionMan
12-22-2009, 09:02 AM
That looks good. Keep up the great work.

DooSPX
12-22-2009, 09:23 AM
looks great! I love the S&S!! my favorite color too!
liking the blue carpet too!

Jim@BAWS
12-22-2009, 10:09 AM
PHENOMINAL JOB...GREAT WORK!!!

Jim@BAWS

jasonba1
12-22-2009, 10:36 AM
that looks awesome good job

VOLFAN
12-22-2009, 12:33 PM
doing a fine job! I can not wait to see it all when finished!

drylandfish
12-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks for all of the positive comments! I can't wait to see it when it's all finished either. I keep having to put in on the back burner. Sometimes life gets in the way.

VOLFAN
12-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Well your doing the right thing by not rushing and taking your time and doing it the right way. your time and effort will pay off once it is finished and sitting at the ski course on CHL!

s250slim
12-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Trailer looks good! My fenders are cracked and broken; how were your fenders when you redone yours?

drylandfish
12-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Trailer looks good! My fenders are cracked and broken; how were your fenders when you redone yours?

Thanks. The left fender has one bad spot where the gel coat needs minor repair. You can see it in the third pic of post #101. Its right behind the carpeted pad I added. Not trying to hide it with the pad either. I added those to prevent things like that from happening. The fenders looked worse than they actually were due to the oxidation and the adhesive left from the tacky reflectors that won't be going back on. The only other modification I made to the fenders was I had to open up the holes behind the four side marker lights. I had to do that so I could get the connectors to plug into the LEDs.

DemolitionMan
12-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Maybe you could add some stars to the fenders.

drylandfish
12-22-2009, 03:51 PM
That's what I need Yellow...more work!:rolleyes:

DemolitionMan
12-22-2009, 03:54 PM
That's what I need Yellow...more work!:rolleyes:

:D:D:D Work never ends.

drylandfish
06-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Well, once again it has been months since I have updated this thread. School's out for summer, so I will have a little extra time to get back on this project. Just wanted to take some pics to prove that you can buy the black pipe and caps that fit over the guide poles. I had to buy it in 5' sections and on my '84's trailer I need about 4' per side. The sticker in the first pic is to replace the original red warning sticker that goes on the stern below the rubrail. Yes all of this was ordered from my MasterCraft dealer and cost less than my dinner last night.

M-Funf
06-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Where did you get the black pipe from? MC or a hardware store? Do you know what the inside diameter of the pipe is?

Thanks, Looks nice.

ShamrockIV
06-09-2010, 06:34 PM
cost less than my dinner last night.

that is not saying much!! i have seen u eat!!!

drylandfish
06-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Where did you get the black pipe from? MC or a hardware store? Do you know what the inside diameter of the pipe is?

Thanks, Looks nice.

Ordered it from my MC dealer. Don't bother going to Lowe's or HD. They both have black pipe that is the same OD as the original, but the ID is smaller and won't go over the posts. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

drylandfish
06-09-2010, 06:40 PM
that is not saying much!! i have seen u eat!!!

Smart @$$!

ShamrockIV
06-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Smart @$$!

wow. u act surprised.

drylandfish
06-09-2010, 06:57 PM
I found this toward the rear of the drivers side once I removed the top of the boat and carpet. I brushed a little resin over it to make it legible. It's the hull ID# and colors of the gel coat. I have no clue as to what the blue 8 is for. I don't know if anyone else has seen this in their boat while the carpet is out or not. Just found it to be interesting.

drylandfish
06-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Here are some pics from the morning I took her top off and removed the old carpet. I drilled the 150 rivets and cut the silicone sealing the top to the bottom the day before. This was sometime in March.

drylandfish
06-09-2010, 07:39 PM
A few more...

ShamrockIV
06-09-2010, 08:12 PM
dang fish u need to wax that thang!!

drylandfish
06-09-2010, 08:25 PM

I'll wax it after I put the graphics on.

ShamrockIV
06-09-2010, 08:29 PM
u can head to my house and was the x30 then bro!!

Jim@BAWS
06-09-2010, 08:40 PM
I found this toward the rear of the drivers side once I removed the top of the boat and carpet. I brushed a little resin over it to make it legible. It's the hull ID# and colors of the gel coat. I have no clue as to what the blue 8 is for. I don't know if anyone else has seen this in their boat while the carpet is out or not. Just found it to be interesting.

What this possibly might be is your HIDDEN Hull ID #. Sometimes when boats are stolen
the builder hides a 2nd HULL ID # that only they know. This maybe it!!! IF the boat is recovered they know where the 2nd hull ID is

Jim@BAWS

Great Job..can't wait to see the NEW graphics

drylandfish
06-09-2010, 08:58 PM
What this possibly might be is your HIDDEN Hull ID #. Sometimes when boats are stolen
the builder hides a 2nd HULL ID # that only they know. This maybe it!!! IF the boat is recovered they know where the 2nd hull ID is

Jim@BAWS

Great Job..can't wait to see the NEW graphics

Thanks Jim. That crossed my mind. I can't wait to see the graphics on it either. Gonna put the ying yangs you sent me on a shelf for later. The originals still look nice.

americanskierJim
06-09-2010, 10:27 PM

I would have to agree. Great job it is sure looking great. Keep up the good work.

drylandfish
06-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Here are some pics of her with and without the old carpet. The glue was not too hard to remove except for in the high traffic areas. There is obviously still glue on the floor in these pics, but it has been removed from the sides. Got the job done w/ a fine wire wheel on a drill and DuPont First Klean 3900S.

oxberger
06-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Wow! I didn't know the transom had shelves in it. I'll have to check mine, maybe I do have all the supplies I need to restore the gel coat. Fish, if you need any help while Sham's playing in the sand let me know. I'm a little bit of a drive so I could help on weekends. You're doing an AWESOME job! I hope mine turns out half as good as yours.

VOLFAN
06-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Looking good

drylandfish
06-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Did some polishing today. 59065

americanskierJim
06-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Pylon looks great keep up the great work.

keith3613
06-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Hey, I'm looking for some black poles for my 1984. Can you tell me where you got them? Are they identical to the original poles?

drylandfish
06-20-2010, 03:28 AM
Hey, I'm looking for some black poles for my 1984. Can you tell me where you got them? Are they identical to the original poles?

I bought the black pipe that slides down over the guide posts from my MasterCraft dealer. Any dealer can get it for you. The pipe is identical. The caps may be, but i don't know. When I bought my boat the caps were gone and I could only see where they had previously been.

drylandfish
10-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Well, once again it has been months since I have had time to work on my never ending project. I've been on fall break from teaching, so I have gotten a few things done. I have been cleaning/polishing/waxing some of the hardware and screws that I have had bagged and tagged for 2 1/2 yrs. I installed the new pitots, re-installed the original exhaust ports and the new rubber flappers, re-installed the original stern eyes, new silicone for everything currently bolted to the hull, and applied my new vinyl graphics from BAWS. I painstakingly put all the graphics back in the same spot they were in when it left MasterCraft 26 yrs. ago. I know the two stars on the stern are not the same distance from the outer edge and the MasterCraft does not look exactly centered. Someone at the factory put them there like that, so I did too.

BTW Sham, after one last trip around the hull with 3M's Finesse and properboatcare.com's Gel Coat Labs Micro-polish and Sealant, I did finally wax it. Now you are welcome to borrow my Dewalt and get to work on your X30.

Here come some pics.

drylandfish
10-16-2010, 01:16 PM

drylandfish
10-16-2010, 01:33 PM

03geetee
10-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Unbeleivable job bro. I just read your entire thread and just got some motivation for my job ahead of me this winter. If my 83 looks half as good as your 84 does when done I will be happy. I am just as impressed with the trailer it looks perfect!

Great Job!

JTR

thatsmrmastercraft
10-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Absolutely beautiful work.

Cloaked
10-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Absolutely beautiful work.Stinky.... absolutely stinky looking boat.

Whoever heard of a shiny boat with no windshield? :D

thatsmrmastercraft
10-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Stinky.... absolutely stinky looking boat.

Whoever heard of a shiny boat with no windshield? :D

I just figured the glass was so clean that you couldn't see it.

03geetee
10-16-2010, 08:12 PM
I just figured the glass was so clean that you couldn't see it.

I thought the same thing!

:dance:

JTR

drylandfish
10-17-2010, 02:06 AM
Thanks again for the positive comments. The windshield is put away to keep from being broken. The side windows are disassembled so that I can clean the dirt out of the weatherstrips and paint the frame. I'm going to keep the original side windows in storage even though they are pretty much junk. I had two pieces of lexan cut to replace them. Here are the two old ones and the two new ones wrapped up in paper and plastic. A local business used the old ones as patterns and made perfect matches. You'll have to settle for this pic until I get it assembled. :)

03geetee
10-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Did your body shop just match the paint for the trailer or did you have a paint code that you can still get? My trailer needs some attention this spring once the boat goes back in the water...

*please excuse those hideous registration numbers my decal guy is making some killer metal flake ones in the same font as the MasterCraft script*

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/Fall2010051.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/Fall2010055.jpg

JTR