PDA

View Full Version : Dream come true

MYMC
02-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Yesterday I got the chance to fly the P-51 down in Florida...voted the number one fighter of all time, and always a dream of mine to fly. Funny how you feel when you check one of the "life time" goals off your list. The course included aerobatic maneuvers so I got to learn to do aileron rolls, loops, immelmans and split "S"...what a day! We even buzzed the tower at an Airforce base, the guys down there loved it.

ncsone
02-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Awesome! That is a once in a lifetime kind of thing. I am sure it was a unforgettable time.

chudson
02-28-2008, 10:26 AM
That must have been amazing and you buzzed the tower too!!! Good for you!!!

ShamrockIV
02-28-2008, 10:31 AM
awesome bro!!!!!

maverick and i am sure even chuck yeagar would be proud of the tower buzz!!!!!!!

east tx skier
02-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Nice! Was it loud? When I was flying I got to see an old Corsair take off. It was deafening.

flipper
02-28-2008, 10:34 AM
That's awesome....must have been a blast.

Muttley
02-28-2008, 10:34 AM
WAY too cool! :headbang:

Prostar Rich
02-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Yesterday I got the chance to fly the P-51 down in Florida...voted the number one fighter of all time, and always a dream of mine to fly. Funny how you feel when you check one of the "life time" goals off your list. The course included aerobatic maneuvers so I got to learn to do aileron rolls, loops, immelmans and split "S"...what a day! We even buzzed the tower at an Airforce base, the guys down there loved it.

That is real cool!

What other types of planes have you flown?

Prostar Rich

#47of100TeamMC
02-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Way cool!
apparently you didn't hear... "Negative Ghostrider the pattern is full"

shepherd
02-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Wait, I see 2 heads in that cockpit. You didn't solo? ;)

MYMC
02-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Flying her was unbelievable...I did not do the take off but I did land her...first time with a "tail dragger". You wear a flight helmet and ear plugs, so yes it is loud but not too bad. The smell of oil and fuel is always with you and it gets pretty hot quick.

Stick movements are very small and trim is critical. Keeping her coordinated is a full time job. Your left hand is always moving the trim wheels.

shepherd
02-28-2008, 10:46 AM
j/k

That is cool Mike. What company in Florida does this? What AF base did you buzz? A lifetime memory for me was waking up one in my tent early one morning at the Oshkosh Fly-In, and seeing a pair of P51s taking off when I stuck my head out. Those Merlins are beautiful sounding machines - best alarm clock I ever had!

ShamrockIV
02-28-2008, 10:48 AM
"2 of ur snotnosed jockeys did a flyby of my tower at over 400 knots!!! I want somebody's butts!!!!"

MYMC
02-28-2008, 10:49 AM
That is real cool!

What other types of planes have you flown?

Prostar Rich
Bug smashing 172s and Piper Archers, Cirrus SR20, SR22 and SR22 Turbo, Piper Arrow (200 & 180), Mooney Aclaim, Cessna 310, Piper Navajo, Cessna Citation 5, Cessna Citation Mustang and now North American P-51D.

MYMC
02-28-2008, 10:59 AM
j/k

That is cool Mike. What company in Florida does this? What AF base did you buzz? A lifetime memory for me was waking up one in my tent early one morning at the Oshkosh Fly-In, and seeing a pair of P51s taking off when I stuck my head out. Those Merlins are beautiful sounding machines - best alarm clock I ever had!
Here is the link to the company, they are located on the field at KISM.
http://www.stallion51.com/aircraft/aircraft-crazyh.aspx

I flew Crazy Horse 1...

The MOA was Basinger (we had the entire area) and airbase is McDill.

Monte
02-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Congrats Mike! That HAD to be a lot of fun!!

Ric
02-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Cool .

Tom023
02-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Congrats! Something I've been trying to do. The owners of my company own the two P-51s featured on the January 2008 Flying cover, among many other aircraft. I keep hinting at a ride but at least I see them everytime I'm in the hangar.

TMCNo1
02-28-2008, 11:42 AM
I know that was a special experience, glad you had fun!

pilot02
02-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Wow Mike, that looks awesome.. How about posting some of the video.. I'm sure there are several of us here that would like to see it.

shepherd
02-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Bug smashing 172s and Piper Archers, Cirrus SR20, SR22 and SR22 Turbo, Piper Arrow (200 & 180), Mooney Aclaim, Cessna 310, Piper Navajo, Cessna Citation 5, Cessna Citation Mustang and now North American P-51D.

what's next??? :rolleyes:

MYMC
02-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Wow Mike, that looks awesome.. How about posting some of the video.. I'm sure there are several of us here that would like to see it.
I need to get the tape converted to disk and then I'll be able to post...thanks for asking, I'll be sure it gets done.

MYMC
02-28-2008, 12:40 PM
what's next??? :rolleyes:
L-39...I think...

6ballsisall
02-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Thats very cool Mike!!

Jesus_Freak
02-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Ultimate coolness, Mike!

Evan Jones
02-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Very jealous... Congrats !

MYMC
02-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks guys...it was amazing.

While I was there a guy was taking delviery of his "new" P-51 (Little Witch)...only $2.8M. The good news is the engine is good for 450 to 600 hours and then rebuild time. Rebuilds are $130,000 each...and Jack Roush racing provides the pistons. BTW, Jack owns two of them.

Here is a link to "Little Witch": http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/survivors/pages/44-74497.shtml

gigem75
02-28-2008, 01:53 PM
My Dad commanded a squadron of them in Japan right before the Korean war. He said you need a strong right leg on takeoff. He also said he wished he could afford just the spark plugs for one. He had a hellva time flying them. I thought it would be his favorite aircraft to fly but that was the F-86.

That must have been way over the top, I'm green.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f310/gigem75/p51_itazuke_1_webrez.jpg

Ric
02-28-2008, 02:04 PM
expensive but really cool that there is money out there keeping these alive !

MYMC
02-28-2008, 02:51 PM
My Dad commanded a squadron of them in Japan right before the Korean war. He said you need a strong right leg on takeoff. He also said he wished he could afford just the spark plugs for one. He had a hellva time flying them. I thought it would be his favorite aircraft to fly but that was the F-86.

That must have been way over the top, I'm green.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f310/gigem75/p51_itazuke_1_webrez.jpg
Right leg is correct...even in flight. The tail is offset to help with some of the left turning tendency, but then the faster she goes the more right she tries to turn, due to the offset. You are always trimming this airplane and that includes the rudder trim.
We did slow flight and stalls...the rudder has enough authority to keep the plane straight but it cannot overcome the prop enough to turn right in slow flight.

gigem75
02-28-2008, 04:14 PM
speaking of trim, if you've ever seen a B-52 take off they hardly rotate at all, they just kinda rise off the runway by using trim.

puck_11
02-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Thats awesome! I'd love to fly in a p-51 someday, hope you had fun! I'm sure you'll love the L-39 too!

It's quite sad that when the AF decommissioned it, you could pick them up for as little as $1,500!!!! Talk about a return on investment if you were lucky enough to have the cash to buy one.

trickskier
02-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Congratulations Mike!!! That had to be awesome!!!

2000XPSD
02-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Here is the link to the company, they are located on the field at KISM.
http://www.stallion51.com/aircraft/aircraft-crazyh.aspx

I flew Crazy Horse 1...

The MOA was Basinger (we had the entire area) and airbase is McDill.

THANKS FOR THE LINK...i've always dreamed of flying a p-51, i never even knew such place existed that would let you do such a thing...too cool.
how much was it?...or do i what to even know:(

gigem75
02-28-2008, 09:20 PM
wow, McDill, my brother was born there, lot of operational development of the B-47 there. That was a hot rod in it's day.

Hrkdrivr
02-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Good for you Mike! I'm glad you had the time and $$$ to do this while there are still some of these beauties flying. It sounds like it was wonderful. Enjoy pursuing the L-39...keep the shiny side up!

P-hat_in_Cincy
02-28-2008, 09:55 PM
WOW...Congrats Mike! That is my favorite fixed wing fighter!

I'm fortunate enough to have one fly around the house (as well as other old war birds) because the Clermont County (OH) Airport has the Tri-State War Birds Museum ( http://www.tri-statewarbirdmuseum.org/ ). They have a Corsair and P-40 under restoration too!

Sporty's ( http://www.sportys.com/ ), if you ever heard of it, resides here too.

Congrats again! I could only imagine how cool it was and how sick I would be! :o

JimN
02-28-2008, 10:48 PM
So, if the P-51 was available for $1500 when they were decommissioned, whaddaya think an SR-71 would go for?

gigem75
02-29-2008, 08:16 AM
I am curious as to how you all got permission to enter the pattern much less AF air space. It was hard even before 9/11, I can't imagine how it is now. Normally even if you declare an emergency they'll tell you to RTB if they know your close. I'm sure everyone has this image of Top Gun when you said you buzzed the field, low and fast. I was wondering what your altitude was? Just curious is all. btw Air Force is two words. Airforce was probably a typo.

dsoby
02-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Way to go, Mike. I've always wanted to get a ride in one of those classics. Prop torque must have been awsome. How fast did you get it up to straight and level?

RexDog1
02-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Very Cool Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
Yes Dreams do come true !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My wife said no to one of my dreams………… and I don’t think Selma Hayek will go for it??? :rolleyes: :(

Workin' 4 Toys
02-29-2008, 09:38 AM
So, did you offer him some cash and make the deal or what??:confused:

New airstrip at the MC dealership?

puck_11
02-29-2008, 09:44 AM
I am curious as to how you all got permission to enter the pattern much less AF air space. It was hard even before 9/11, I can't imagine how it is now. Normally even if you declare an emergency they'll tell you to RTB if they know your close. I'm sure everyone has this image of Top Gun when you said you buzzed the field, low and fast. I was wondering what your altitude was? Just curious is all. btw Air Force is two words. Airforce was probably a typo.

As a civilian there are some fields where you can shoot practice approaches, you just can't land. There are also some military fields civilians can land at on official business (whatever that means). You are correct, AF is two words, spelled Chair Force ;)

"So, if the P-51 was available for $1500 when they were decommissioned, whaddaya think an SR-71 would go for?"

Unfortunately all military jets now have to be demilitarized, which means chopped in half. Our for the beloved Tomcat, shredded :( , so the Iranians can't get any of the parts.

Cool link
http://www.nallsaviation.com/index.htm

gigem75
02-29-2008, 09:58 AM
That is a cool site, I especially liked the "and all aircraft systems are operating just fine, except for a nearly catastrophic hydraulic leak."

or kinda like "everything was going great Sir, until the wings fell off":)

Strange how some of the critical parts necessary for the TomCat disappeared right before the Shah split.
Some might find this interesting.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f310/gigem75/th_cv62.jpg (http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f310/gigem75/?action=view&current=cv62.flv)

MYMC
02-29-2008, 10:00 AM
The use of the MOA is not restricted by definition: Military Operations Area (MOA) - Airspace designated for non-hazardous military activity such as acrobatics, air combat tactics, and formation training. Visual flight rules aircraft are not restricted from operating in military operations areas. Military Operations Areas (MOAs) in or near Florida:
• Avon East & North • Mayport High & Low
• Basinger • Moody 1, 2 North/South & 3
• Eglin A East/West, B, C, D, E & F • Palatka 1 & 2
• Lake Placid • Pensacola North & South
• Live Oak • Rose Hill
• Marin • Tyndall B, C, D, E, F, G & H

If you read the website you'll notice that this company actually trains pilots for the Navy (using the P-51), and I was informed that the commander of that base had flown the same plane I was in…I have no other information regarding how the permission was obtained, I simply heard the request over the radio and heard it granted. Altimeter at the time showed 250’ before we pulled into the climb…I do not know field elevation but you can look that up and figure out the AGL.

I do have video tape of the event and when put on disk I will gladly post it…this should remove all doubt as the tower goes by. Hard to believe the Air Force didn’t scramble fighters when a WW2 airplane with no armament that they see daily requested a fly-by. I have no delusions of “Top Gun”…nor did the instructor jeopardize a $3.0M aircraft in making the pass; however, it was as close as I have ever been to “buzzing” anything.

Lastly, I’ll check my spelling more closely…thank for noticing.

shepherd
02-29-2008, 10:29 AM
As a civilian there are some fields where you can shoot practice approaches, you just can't land. There are also some military fields civilians can land at on official business (whatever that means). You are correct, AF is two words, spelled Chair Force ;)

We used to shoot approaches at Andrews Air Force Base and at Fort Belvoir across the Potomac River. Those bases weren't very busy and I think the controllers were bored and welcomed the activity. But that was before 9/11... Also, a lot of military bases have civilian flying clubs that use the field.

shepherd
02-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Unfortunately all military jets now have to be demilitarized, which means chopped in half. Our for the beloved Tomcat, shredded :( , so the Iranians can't get any of the parts.

I think (but don't know) that rule must only apply to U.S. military jets. A guy at my father's airport was restoring a Harrier jump jet and an older model MIG. He was a test pilot at Pax River if I remember correctly. Also, I remember a privately owned F86 at Oshkosh years ago.

MYMC
02-29-2008, 10:44 AM
THANKS FOR THE LINK...i've always dreamed of flying a p-51, i never even knew such place existed that would let you do such a thing...too cool.
how much was it?...or do i what to even know:(
Not sure what the cost was...this was a Christmas gift...just doing some quick math based on TBO hours and cost...the number is probably pretty big.

jbfootin
02-29-2008, 10:49 AM
That is truely awsome!

MYMC...living the dream baby!!!;) :D

Your "bucket list" must be getting shorther;)

MYMC
02-29-2008, 10:50 AM
That is truely awsome!

MYMC...living the dream baby!!!;) :D

Your "bucket list" must be getting shorther;)
Kinda funny...I thought about that list when I climbed out...it is getting shorter.:)

phecksel
02-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Most EXCELLENT! Now I'm jealous of your rich relatives, LOL

chudson
02-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Just puttin this out there but one year I went to OshKosh I picked up a cd called "Round Sound" that is audio's of the big radials starting up and doing fly bys and such. With a good stereo system you can really rattle the windows in the house. Fun to listen to!!!

http://www.historicaviation.com/historicaviation/product_info.po;jsessionid=nlysndengEK9EJMqYQc-rKrW(CgqOmhPi)?ID=681

Just found #2

http://www.historicaviation.com/historicaviation/product_info.po?ID=949

shepherd
02-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Just puttin this out there but one year I went to OshKosh I picked up a cd called "Round Sound" that is audio's of the big radials starting up and doing fly bys and such. With a good stereo system you can really rattle the windows in the house. Fun to listen to!!!

Crank it up on your boat's stereo on the lake. That will make people wonder! :D

puck_11
02-29-2008, 08:19 PM
The use of the MOA is not restricted by definition: Military Operations Area (MOA) - Airspace designated for non-hazardous military activity such as acrobatics, air combat tactics, and formation training. Visual flight rules aircraft are not restricted from operating in military operations areas.

Hey guys, just a heads up, if you're VFR and heading into a MOA where there is heavy fighter/student training activity, its best to just avoid that area. When we do our aerobatics, we start our sequence at 380 kts, and pull into a loop which will cover almost 8-9k feet of altitude. If we're doing aerial combat maneuvering or any sort of tail chase, we're not looking for traffic, we're focused purely on the bandit. Most of the time as students we have no situational awareness to other traffic because we're so far behind the airplane :rolleyes: The moral of the story is we're moving fast and covering lots of altitude and it really messes with our training if we have to wait for VFR traffic and have to start looking for it. Its probably a different story if the base you're flying by is full of tankers or other slow movers. I didn't understand it when I was flying as a civilian and I was told to stay out of MOAs, but now I'd tell you were crazy to fly in one when they are busy and active.

TOO-TALL
03-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Thats cool mike.
The P-51 is my favorite plane, #2 is the B-17.
A few years ago me and a buddy did air combat.Awesome time. www.aircombatusa.com
Its like laser tag in the sky the instructors will take off and land the planes once in the air you have the stick and you get six dogfights +manuvers afterwards.We only made it to dogfight 3 before the little white bags came out :D :D :D

School Skier
03-01-2008, 07:53 AM
My dad a WW2 veteran in the 6th armoured division said that the guys were always glad when the P-51s showed up. It made their life some what easier on the ground in such horrible conditions.

atlfootr
03-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Congrats ...... way 2 go

JimN
03-01-2008, 09:49 AM
"Unfortunately all military jets now have to be demilitarized, which means chopped in half. Our for the beloved Tomcat, shredded , so the Iranians can't get any of the parts."

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the SR-71s in the inventory are just mothballed. I know there's at least one in a museum and AFAIK, we still don't have anything else that flies at the same top speed. Yeah, satellites work fine but....

I probably shouldn't do this but,.....

RE: Iran- the thing that worries me about Ahmadinejad potentially being replaced is that his education was as an engineer and a full-time nutjob who hates the US and Israel as much as he does and who knows what he does has the potential to be a major problem in the future. A terrorist organization with deep pockets is bad enough but when one of the top people is an engineer, it becomes similar to a chemist who wants to find new ways to develop drugs that provide "the ultimate high" with household materials. They can be very creative.

Mods- feel free to contact me so I can edit, if necessary. Or, we can start a new thread.

JimN
03-01-2008, 09:55 AM
If the list is getting shorter, it just means that it's time to re-evaluate it and add more. Look at it like it's a retirement fund and do it annually. I don't think anyone ever said the list can't be added to, right?

MYMC
03-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Here is the link to the pass over the A/F base...tower and runway can be seen fading into the background. Hope you guys enjoy.http://youtube.com/watch?v=YNf3UvBl0vA

Hammer
03-01-2008, 12:30 PM
That's just cool.

ShamrockIV
03-01-2008, 12:33 PM
My dad a WW2 veteran in the 6th armoured division said that the guys were always glad when the P-51s showed up. It made their life some what easier on the ground in such horrible conditions.

yeah a plane with 6 fifty cals mounted on it can be a heckuva equalizer!!!!

Doug G
03-01-2008, 07:31 PM
That is too cool. Congrats on living a dream moment! It's fun being able to live in your passions eh?

MYMC
03-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys...I'll post more video when I get more time to split it up.

MYMC
03-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Barrel rolls...got to remember to keep the nose up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlF-bG4dJNU

Doug G
03-06-2008, 12:48 AM
LOL "I gotta get one of these" A typically expensive phrase!

"When you've got the speed it doesn't matter if your going up" So true in so many ways. 8p

MYMC
03-10-2008, 12:36 PM
You gotta land sometime...never landed a tail dragger before, nerve racking come up short in the description. Ground looping a $3.0 million dollar airplane would not be a good time!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W3YAlERvqg

Hrkdrivr
04-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Hey Mike!

I was just down in Kissimmee today dropping off some passengers and walked around the place...holy cow! 5 mustangs, an FW-190, some Texans, a Stearman (I think), an OV-10 and a P-38 (and more I can't remember). Plus they had a new Aston Martin, a Ferrari and about $1 million in classic cars. What a cool place.

MYMC
04-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Hey Mike!

I was just down in Kissimmee today dropping off some passengers and walked around the place...holy cow! 5 mustangs, an FW-190, some Texans, a Stearman (I think), an OV-10 and a P-38 (and more I can't remember). Plus they had a new Aston Martin, a Ferrari and about $1 million in classic cars. What a cool place.
We have pictures from the a couple weeks ago when there were 7 Mustangs in the first hanger along with a Spitfire...Lee Lauderbach sure firgured something out! Glad you got to visit, you need to go fly them now;)

Jim@BAWS
04-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Mike,

I don't know if this is the same plane. Looks like it. This one performed and SUN AND FUN Fly in in Lakeland last weekend. We are less than 25 yards away before he taxied away for take off. The plane is running

Pretty damn cool.

Hrkdrivr
04-16-2008, 10:31 AM
We have pictures from the a couple weeks ago when there were 7 Mustangs in the first hanger along with a Spitfire...Lee Lauderbach sure firgured something out! Glad you got to visit, you need to go fly them now;)

He sure did. I didn't know there were that many Mustangs in one place. What a treasure.

I just found out my boss is friends w/one of their pilots...hmmmm.

In any case I'm gonna have to save my pennies and give it a go. More likely I'll buy my dad a ride.

When we were there, Crazy Horse taxiid in w/a customer, probably a mid-50s gentleman. He looked like he'd been through the ringer, but he had a you-know-what-eating grin from ear to ear.

Hrkdrivr
04-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Mike,

I don't know if this is the same plane. Looks like it. This one performed and SUN AND FUN Fly in in Lakeland last weekend. We are less than 25 yards away before he taxied away for take off. The plane is running

Pretty damn cool.

Might have been the same, Lakeland is only about 30 miles (ish) from Kissimmi.