PDA

View Full Version : UH OH low oil light came on

lakes Rick
08-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Well I could be done for the summer.. Just got back from the lake with very low oil in my V-drive.. The leak must of gotten worse.. Now I NEED to pull my V-drive unit for a reseal...

ANYONE see my thread about removing my V-drive?? Any help would be appreciated... Thanks

JimN
08-08-2004, 06:49 PM
I don't remember the year/model of your boat. Look into the V-drive and check the oil. If it doesn't smell too bad, you may be OK. Check the shaft seal for black paint on the rubber part. There was a tech brief for this and they recommended scraping the paint off gently. It doesn't stick very well and comes off easily, but it keeps the seal from being elastic enough to stay in contact with the shaft. I saw that there is also a new double lipped seal as the replacement.

lakes Rick
08-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Jim, my boat is a 94 Maristar... I remember you saying this was on much newer boats, the painted seal problem..

Any thoughts on my tranny/v drive removal ?? Thanks

JimN
08-08-2004, 10:22 PM
I've never removed a V drive, but I have found that a little extra disassembly to make more room goes a long way. Aside from that, this will be a lot easier if you have access to a chain hoist. A motor hoist, unless it's for a big truck, will just be too small for this job and trying to put it in the boat is not something I would want to do. However, if you can get a big one and it's just a bit too low, you can deflate the tires and drop it 5" - 6". See if a rental center has the kinds of hoists for this job.

lakes Rick
08-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Appreciate the help Jim...

BriEOD
01-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Sorry for the nostalgia, but couldn't help bumping this. Boy does this place miss Lakes Rick!