PDA

View Full Version : 1973 Tournament Ski

markarr
02-27-2008, 11:38 PM
I have inherited my grandfathers boat. He bought it in 72 brand new. Im not positive about the engine but i believe that it is the original. It needs some work but I have too many memories in this boat to let it go to the yard. I would like some feedback on this project. It will take me a while to complete because im currently attending school full time.

Farmer Ted
02-27-2008, 11:41 PM
I have inherited my grandfathers boat. He bought it in 72 brand new. Im not positive about the engine but i believe that it is the original. It needs some work but I have too many memories in this boat to let it go to the yard. I would like some feedback on this project. It will take me a while to complete because im currently attending school full time.

looks like you have a diamond in the rough!

erkoehler
02-27-2008, 11:42 PM
WOW, that is an old one.....good luck w/ the restoration and be sure to post lots of pics.

cbryan70
02-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Well...looks like you need seats...i can help you out....if you are around illinois if you supply the beer i will help restore.. i can bring the shine back and get good deals on AT LEAST the drivers seat. If it doesnt have a platform and you want one i will have a fiberglass available from a 78...its not perfect but ill basically give it to ya.....and ill help in stall all i ask is beer lol

03 35th Anniversary
02-27-2008, 11:48 PM
From what I understand there is only about a 100 of those boats made, no telling howmany are left.

Worth fixing up IMO.

03 35th Anniversary
02-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Well...looks like you need seats...i can help you out....if you are around illinois if you supply the beer i will help restore.. i can bring the shine back and get good deals on AT LEAST the drivers seat. If it doesnt have a platform and you want one i will have a fiberglass available from a 78...its not perfect but ill basically give it to ya.....and ill help in stall all i ask is beer lolHey man would you like a beer?????? 8p

markarr
02-27-2008, 11:52 PM
I actually still have the (what look like the original) seats if you look at pic 626 they are there. obviously i wont be putting those back in there. Im from Omaha, NE and i am not of legal age to purchase beer yet still in college.

T Scott
02-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Looks like a fun little project!

03 35th Anniversary
02-27-2008, 11:59 PM
I actually still have the (what look like the original) seats if you look at pic 626 they are there. obviously i wont be putting those back in there. Im from Omaha, NE and i am not of legal age to purchase beer yet still in college.I learn something new everyday.....

I din't know being underage was a problem with getting beer in collage??????:confused:

markarr
02-28-2008, 12:01 AM
I learn something new everyday.....

I din't know being underage was a problem with getting beer in collage??????:confused:

it isnt but when i go to school two hours away from where the boat currently sits that makes it slightly harder.

bkhallpass
02-28-2008, 12:14 AM
I would hope you never get rid of that boat. Mastercrafts of that age are not common. Also, it appears the boat has the Holman Moody Engine which is hard to find these days. Not to mention the sentimental value.

If I were you, I'd try to find a dry place to store it, and wait until you have sufficient time and funds to restore it properly.

I don't post here often, but I thought your boat was a really neat find.

BKH

03 35th Anniversary
02-28-2008, 12:19 AM
Hear is a thread on pretty much the same boat.

Posted last week.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=21568

Prostar Rich
02-28-2008, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't part with that boat. Like others have stated above if you don't have the time and $$ now find a good place to store it until you are ready to take on this project. Should be fun bringing the boat back to life.

Good luck,
Prostar Rich

ShamrockIV
02-28-2008, 09:30 AM
how much u want for it??????

awesome project!!!!!!
i am looking for anything that is a 73 model since i am 73 model myself!!!

coz
02-28-2008, 09:36 AM
and ill help in stall all i ask is beer lol

WOW! cbryan your prices are very reasonable.:D

pilot02
02-28-2008, 09:36 AM
I learn something new everyday.....

Looks like you didn't have any problem and are still drinking.... What does art have to do with school??? lol

gigem75
02-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Good luck with your project. I used to live in Bellvue, skied at Hansen's Lake and Lake Manowa over in Council Bluffs in the summer and ice skated on them in the winter. Spent many a weekend going up the river and camping out on a sand bar. We drank soda, parents drank beer.
We would alwasys stop and a hole in the wall burger joint on the way home, Stella's, best hamburgers I've ever had!

BrianM
02-28-2008, 09:46 AM
That is going to be a great project for you. I agree with what was said above. Try to get the boat parked in as dry a place as possible and wait until you have the time and funds to do the restoration completely and correctly. You have a gem there for sure

VTJC
02-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Great boat and inheritance. I agree with others keep the boat safe and as dry as you can until time and $ to permit a resurrection. You might want to do an inventory of what parts you will need and slowly acquire them as they become available, so you’re not paying top dollar because you need it quick.

sethro
02-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Markarr,

This can't be stressed enough...hold on to that boat! I can only imagine the feeling of owning your grandpa's first boat. All I have is pictures of my grandpa's first boat...'57 ChrisCraft Cavalier and nobody in the family was in a position to purchase that when he sold it back in the late 70's for an I/O. Of course he bought the I/O more for his children and grandchildren, but I can only imagine what it would be like to own his first boat.

Seth

Jim@BAWS
02-28-2008, 10:12 AM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=21568&page=3

Congrats on the boat. Bring it back Bring it back Bring it back !!!

Now that's a Holman Moody motor, probably at 302

Now we have to find the other 98 from that year !!!

Jim@BAWS

ShamrockIV
02-28-2008, 10:42 AM
i am in on the search!!!!!

88 PS190
02-28-2008, 11:24 AM
With projects I like to get them to the point that they can rest with out having more deterioration. To me that means dry out the boat completely, clean the boat out well. Any bolt that looks rusty I'd put some penetrating oil on it now. Because in a year or whenever you want to remove it you will be happy that you've applied something to break down the rust now.

I'd also probably be tempted to dump the oil, put some new stuff in there (its fine if its cheap oil since you aren't running it) But it'll make sure there isn't water sitting in there. Then I'd pull the spark plugs, and trickle a little marvel mystery oil in the holes, and using a breaker bar I would advance the engine a few revolutions to just coat everything up. If it doesn't turn you're in for a good rebuild there.

Then get a good tarp on it and store it dry.

markarr
02-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Thank you for all your input. I would have it sitting inside if i had a place to put it at the current moment. It currently has snow and ice under the floor thanks to my uncle not keep a tarp properly secured. Im gonna keep the orignal colors for the boat. When im replacing the floor should i glass the new floor or epoxy it? What has worked better?

M-Funf
02-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Too bad it has to sit outside. My only suggestion is to wrap it up tight, even if you have to go with 2 or 3 tarps. Make sure water can't pool on top of the tarps.

You're in for a great experience to restore that boat! Looks to be in pretty good shape.

If ever do decide to sell, you've probably got 10 buyers from this place already in line...

loeweb
02-28-2008, 01:45 PM
As previously stated there were probably around 100 made in 73. how ironic that in the last week or so 2 have been found/ inherited on this site. very cool!

88 PS190
02-28-2008, 02:12 PM
glass the new floor or epoxy it? What has worked better?

I would glass the floor.

And the stringers, which I bet will need replacing, but you could luck out I suppose.

flipper
02-28-2008, 02:47 PM
That's going to me a really nice boat for sure. Don't take any short cuts and take your time on that one.

Hammer
02-28-2008, 08:54 PM
If you have the funds available rent a storage unit and put it in there. If not the tarps and lots of rope and PVC should work for a while. Just keep an eye on the tarps and replace when they start to deteriorate.

h2oskifreak
02-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Cool inheritance for sure. 100+/- made in 73, any ideas on how many 75' Stars & Stripes made? I pull my 75 S & S w/ my granpas 77 Chevy he bought new and I can vouch for the fact, don't let go of that boat. I own that truck as long as I'm around and thereafter, my son. I wish I was better at computers, I would love post some pics. sometime. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the boat, a real piece of history.

bkhallpass
02-28-2008, 11:30 PM
For your floor repair, I would use fiberglass with epoxy resin. I have not scrubbed this site for a tutorial on floor replacement, it may exist.
I am not sure if your floor is glass over foam, or if there is plywood sheeting as well. If you are looking to educate yourself on floor replacement, there are many threads, and step by step descriptions with photos of a floor replacement over on correctcraftfan.com. CC built fiberglass boats with wooden stringers, and some with wooden floors from 61-92, so you'll find lot's of examples with several different construction methods if you are looking for a tutorial. I am in the middle of a stringer floor replacement myself on an old 82. Hope this helps you. BKH

73SS
03-24-2008, 12:48 AM
Drop me a note sometime - I own a 73SS. If you search around my ID - I posted some pictures a year or two ago. Still running and ready to go. Original boat I bought in 79.