PDA

View Full Version : Pink Vinyl

mallees
02-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Ok I know there are a couple threads on this subject, but none of them seem to have an answer on what to do.
I have an 04 X2 and my vinyl has always been looked after and cleaned/protected with Starbrite products, and the boat has always been used in a fresh water river.
Recently we spent a weekend at a lake, and around the same time I started using 303 protectant, now the vinyl on the engine cover has gone a horrible pink sort of colour, spreading out from the stitching. If the boat is left in the sun for a couple days, it starts to fade and after a couple weeks, it is nearly back to normal. But if I put the cover on, it goes pink again wiothin days. Is it possible that the 303 is causing this, or is it some little bugs in the lake water. Can I kill these bugs??? Or do I have to replace this skin. When I took the cover off my boat last weekend, it was that bad I was nearly sick.

east tx skier
02-27-2008, 05:36 PM
I believe it is some sort of microorganism. I think the starbrite cleaners have bleach in them. Could it be possible, and this is just a theory on my part, that the bleach wore down any sort of protective coating originally on the vinyl and allowed this stuff to take hold? I think the answer is to replace the skin, but apart from the ocassional spider poop stain, which the sun deals with well, I've not experienced it.

flipper
02-27-2008, 06:06 PM
That is strange. I don't know if it's the same or not, but I have a spot on my vinyl that looks like a coke spilled on it, and I clean it. Put the cover on, couple days later is back. I wouldn't think you would have to replace the skins if it goes away. I've wondered if my problem is 303, or using to much 303, or something else is going on. A friend of mine said it may be moister related, so I'm going to try an air dryer or something....see if that helps.