PDA

View Full Version : Towing On The Highway in Winter

sten76
02-27-2008, 05:16 PM
I have to tow my boat this weekend on the highway here in the Midwest. Needless to say there is a lot of salt on the roads. What is the best way to tow? Put the cover on? Leave the cover off? Wash as soon as I am off the road? etc......I have never had to do this, so any advice would be great.

Datdude
02-27-2008, 05:19 PM
I trailered my 1995 Prostar 190 a few years ago on salty, but dry roads. I had the boat covered and simply washed it when I got it home. No big deal:cool:

flipper
02-27-2008, 05:33 PM
I never tow with a cover, even in the rain. Everything washes off easy, the cover slaps the boat no matter what, and you'll have to wash the cover anyway. I haven't had to deal with salt yet, but I would still say no cover. Do wash it right away though

JohnE
02-27-2008, 05:40 PM
I've trailered mine in the winter with dry salt covered roads. I would definitely tow with cover on. The salt coats everything. You will need to detail the interior if you tow without cover on.

No Skeez
02-27-2008, 05:46 PM
We are heading down to the Rockford, Illinois boat show tomorrow with three new MCs, so needless to say, we'll be on the road as well. We will most likely be transporting the boats with Transhield on them, but otherwise with it being dry, no covers. We always wash everything down very thoroughly though as soon as we get back so as to get all the salt residue off. Other than that, you should be fine! Good luck!

icewake
02-27-2008, 06:02 PM
make sure you have a good coat of wax and i doubt you will have any problems

06' X-2 R8R H8R
02-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Move to warmer weather. I had to move to Cali from Idaho just to get rid of the salty roads. I can still taste it in my mouth.......

2000XPSD
02-27-2008, 07:39 PM
wash it with salt-away and that will neutralize the salt

TMCNo1
02-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Hot water helps dramatically in the removal of salt too!

coz
02-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Move to warmer weather. I had to move to Cali from Idaho just to get rid of the salty roads. I can still taste it in my mouth.......

That's exactly the reason I left cali after 45 years, thats what everyone is doing, moving to cali :D

D3skier
02-27-2008, 09:30 PM

he he he that's because you went from salty roads to salty water :cool:

erkoehler
03-03-2008, 06:09 PM
I have to tow my boat this weekend on the highway here in the Midwest. Needless to say there is a lot of salt on the roads. What is the best way to tow? Put the cover on? Leave the cover off? Wash as soon as I am off the road? etc......I have never had to do this, so any advice would be great.

Did you get the boat sold?