PDA

View Full Version : Will gas prices affect your summer fun? Honestly!

Sodar
02-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Just curious how many of you are going to alter your habits in any way, shape, or form because of fuel prices.

I know that most of the Eastern/Midwest guys live on lakes, near leaks etc., so getting to the water is not a problem. For others it is more of an issue.

I just read an article that it is speculated that fuel prices will be around the $4.50 mark for regular gas by summer.

Here is what that equates to my weekend costs for watersports.

Gas to get to the river: 25 gallons x $4.50= $113

Boat Gas: 2 days x 30 gallons X $4.50= $270

Gas to get home from the river: 28 gallons x $4.50= $113

This is really going to hurt the pocket book. $500+ just for gas.

Luckily, I have the boat in storage at the river, so I will not be towing it back and forth for the 512 mile round trip. I definitely think I will also be making better use of my girlfriend's Toyota 4runner with a 6 banger, rather than my Tahoe. I am sure it will be fine to get the boat in and out of the water!

Anyone else even thought about this?

BrianM
02-27-2008, 06:10 PM
It won't effect how much I ski but it sure will hurt a lot more.

stuartmcnair
02-27-2008, 06:12 PM
probably a little less cruising but other than that...not in the least

flipper
02-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Won't let it stop me, or slow me down. I will sure have to cut back on other spending though to make up for it though.:mad:

icewake
02-27-2008, 06:16 PM
it wont slow me down a bit, i figure skiing is so much fun i would pay up to $6-7 a gallon

Sodar
02-27-2008, 06:21 PM
I am not saying it is going to stop me at all... just saying that I am going to be thinking about everytime I turn the key, idling while I wait for someone to suit up, etc. I know it probably will not amount to much, but it will definitely be in the back of my mind...

I also think that my cruising will be limited and my boat will be used more for watersports and less for cruising and hanging out.

wakolman
02-27-2008, 06:22 PM
We already don't travel as much as we used to (kid +more expensive gas=stay close to home). I don't think it will affect our summer fun. We are close to the water. Selling our boat might affect our summer fun more.:( It is a thought in the back of our heads. (kid #2 in June)

Slinkyredfoot
02-27-2008, 06:23 PM
I know gas prices will have a definite effect on a lot of people but it will not affect the amount of time I spend on the lake boating and skiing this summer. The lake is my solitude and I do not put a price tag on this.

Sodar
02-27-2008, 06:23 PM
. .

Monte
02-27-2008, 06:27 PM
I doubt it will affect how much I ride, but I will anchor and let the kids swim a lot more rather than pull them on the tube... Now as for them getting up on skis or wakeboard I'll spend every drop I can spare to have that happen.. I guess just less tubing fun...

coz
02-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Just curious how many of you are going to alter your habits in any way, shape, or form because of fuel prices.

I know that most of the Eastern/Midwest guys live on lakes, near leaks etc., so getting to the water is not a problem. For others it is more of an issue.

I just read an article that it is speculated that fuel prices will be around the $4.50 mark for regular gas by summer.

Luckily, I have the boat in storage at the river, so I will not be towing it back and forth for the 512 mile round trip. I definitely think I will also be making better use of my girlfriend's Toyota 4runner with a 6 banger, rather than my Tahoe. I am sure it will be fine to get the boat in and out of the water!

Your right sodar, those towing river trips from OC these days can really hurt. Sounds like alot of floating on the river this summer :confused:
In the late 90's my wife used to have a 4runner and when the kids were little we would leave the boat at the (river) house and drive that down and at that time I had a 2500lbs boat that I could get out of the mossy ramp when the water level is down early am. I would even have neighbors ask to pull them out so they didn't have to wait until the water rises. We have real bad water fluctuation up by the dam. That 4runner in 4 low should be no problem at all getting your boat out.

TMCNo1
02-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Somewhat, but we have gone all Winter long without going to the lake, the boat has a full tank and when we go we don't waste gas. We usually burn 7 to 8 gallons for a Saturday morning trip and @ $3.00 a gallons that's around $25 dollars. We've gone the local mountain communities, seen the sites, bought produce and spent a whole lot more on gas for the day and had to endure all the traffic, but on the water it one on one with nature and very little traffic. We'll go to the lake and never look back,..................................except to see what a purdy flat wake the old boat makes.

Sodar
02-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Your right sodar, those towing river trips from OC these days can really hurt. Sounds like alot of floating on the river this summer :confused:
In the late 90's my wife used to have a 4runner and when the kids were little we would leave the boat at the (river) house and drive that down and at that time I had a 2500lbs boat that I could get out of the mossy ramp when the water level is down early am. I would even have neighbors ask to pull them out so they didn't have to wait until the water rises. We have real bad water fluctuation up by the dam. That 4runner in 4 low should be no problem at all getting your boat out.

You know how it is!

I am guessing that my boat will be used for the early morning ski runs and the late evening/night ski runs. I will be bumming a lot more rides off my brother this summer during the day, a Hallett has a much better ride than an MC!

milkmania
02-27-2008, 06:35 PM
yes

plus 10 charactors:rant:

chudson
02-27-2008, 06:55 PM
No, not at all. When I hear about gas and boats it reminds me of a post put up once that I thought hit the nail on the head..............

PESSIMESTIC? I was at the gas station fueling my MC and someone at the next pump said "Thats got to hurt" And my reply was. "no way!, The more fuel that goes into the boat, the more fun comes out of it!"

Words to live by if you own a boat!!! :cool:

Prostar Rich
02-27-2008, 07:25 PM

I am lucky that I don't have to tow my boat since I have a lake house. I feel for those of you that have to travel distance to get to the water. My family is really into watersports and being together on the boat is the one activity that everyone enjoys. While I will be watching what I spend I doubt that I am going to cut back. I just will have to pay the price. One note though, I do not purchase my gas on the water. I will drive to town and fill up my gas caddy. A little time and energy but it really adds up over the season.

Prostar Rich

sanjuan23
02-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Let the company continue to pay for the gas in the 'ho and use the personal funds to fuel the boat, but definitely looking into storage closer to a certain spot. :D

SkiDog
02-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Fortunally I ski with a group of guys that doesn't mind digging into their pockets at the end of the day. But yea, it's gonna slow down the cruising a little this summer.:mad:

06' X-2 R8R H8R
02-27-2008, 08:06 PM
More than not when I go I have a few people with me and it is their job to fill the boat (common courtisy) there for all it cost me is the gas to the lake which is ok.

ShamrockIV
02-27-2008, 08:12 PM
will not affect me!!!

DBR
02-27-2008, 08:17 PM
I figure I'll have plenty to spend, compliments of ????. I've earmarked my $1200 stimulus rebate for gas and beer this summer.

Sodar
02-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Let the company continue to pay for the gas in the 'ho and use the personal funds to fuel the boat, but definitely looking into storage closer to a certain spot. :D

Yeah, that is the thing. I have the company gas card, which is great for around town, but I have a feeling they might bark if they see $250 in fuel charges over the weekend and 1 out of state (AZ) gas station! 8p

M-Funf
02-27-2008, 08:35 PM

Nope .

WESSTAR
02-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Maybe less exploring the delta but not less riding. I may also lower the transit speed to and from the dock. I also just bought a dodge diesel so that is 50% better towing miles per gallon which will help.

Eagle Lake Rebel
02-27-2008, 09:07 PM
:D Not going to slow me down. We have way to much fun with friends and family. Lucky for me I have a friend with an Xstar so we use my boat one day of the weekend and swap boats the next. On the bright side, I would like to think the tuber and joy rider traffic will slow way down which makes for smoother water.

coz
02-27-2008, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=TMCNo1]We'll go to the lake and never look back,..................................except to see what a purdy flat wake the old boat makes.
QUOTE]

I'm gonna try this :D

VOLFAN
02-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Nah... Shamrock said he was going to keep my gas tank full.

What is the most you guys have spent for gas in the boat in a weekend? A few years back I spent a lil over 300.00 for a weekends worth of gas.

D-MAX-Star
02-27-2008, 09:15 PM
I took an old gas tank from my grandpas farm, cleaned it out repainted it, and sat it behind my dad and Iís shop. I had the local fuel company come fill it up when they came to fill our diesel tanks. So now I have 300 gallons locked in at 2.80 something a gallon. I figure that will save me some money in the middle of the season.

TMCNo1
02-27-2008, 09:24 PM
[quote=TMCNo1]We'll go to the lake and never look back,..................................except to see what a purdy flat wake the old boat makes.
QUOTE]

I'm gonna try this :D

It takes your mind of the fact, it's sucking gas and hauling azz!:D

TMCNo1
02-27-2008, 09:29 PM
What is the most you guys have spent for gas in the boat in a weekend? A few years back I spent a lil over 300.00 for a weekends worth of gas.

$51 last year on Saturday morning @ CSM after a full days riding around on Friday, somewhere around 14.9 gallons IIRC.:cool:

Maristar210
02-27-2008, 09:41 PM
No way, I'll save all the towing gas money by livin on da water;)

sdesmond
02-27-2008, 09:42 PM
I work to hard and dont spend much money to let it bother me. When I get out on that lake I can care less how much it costs. You cant put a price tag on spending time with friends, family and getting away from it all every weekend. We have a summer cabin on the lake so the good thing is there is no transporting the boat to and from the lake. The cabin is about 70 miles from me so its not a bad drive at all.

2RLAKE
02-27-2008, 09:46 PM
we are 263 miles to our lake house, then 30 gallons or so a weekend .... it just is what it is ... will not slow us down ... maybe I'll just have to use my friends' MCs more

coz
02-27-2008, 09:53 PM
[quote=coz]

It takes your mind of the fact, it's sucking gas and hauling azz!:D

True, but in our boat we usually have a few people along so we're hauling azzez :D

H20BOY
02-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Gas is not my problem this summer. My wife is pregnant and due in early July, so I will probably not get as much time on the water as I like.

Tom023
02-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Higher gas prices means I will use the boat more...but fly the plane less. Not a bad trade off!

Plymouth Family Guy
02-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Gas prices are not going to influence our summer fun. The boat spends way too much time in storage during the winter here in Minnesota to let an increase in gas prices impact our use of the Mastercraft. I might have to start paying cash at the gas station though. Both of my credit cards max out at $75.00 when used at gas stations/convenience stores. $150.00 to fill up the Maristar and the Yukon XL might not be enough.

Tom023
02-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Both of my credit cards max out at $75.00 when used at gas stations/convenience stores. $150.00 to fill up the Maristar and the Yukon XL might not be enough.

Mine do the same thing. The way around it is not to swipe the card at the pump but go in and tell them you'll be filling up the boat and car. That way they'll just turn the pump on and pay when you are finished.

Plymouth Family Guy
02-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Mine do the same thing. The way around it is not to swipe the card at the pump but go in and tell them you'll be filling up the boat and car. That way they'll just turn the pump on and pay when you are finished.

Tom023 - Thanks for the information on the credit cards. I try not to go into the gas station by my house when I fill up because I'm usually still in my wet swimsuit, tired from skiing, need to get home to help put the kids to bed and don't want to answer the store clerk's question of "How was fishing tonight?". I can't believe so many people think this is a fishing boat...

Sorry for the threadjack.

swatguy
02-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Probably less trips to my freind's cottages which are over 400mi one way and less trips to the in-laws place up in Door County (not a bad thing :)), but other than that I plan to actually ride more than last year...... knee permitting. I plan I making it down to mine more as well as my work schedule will permit that.

I also can't stand the pump shutoff......Can't even fill the truck anymore GEEZE!

JKTX21
02-27-2008, 11:11 PM
I am constantly adjusting my lifestyle around energy prices. I do drive a truck and have a boat, but cut my commute from 95 miles a day to 6 miles.

Also, planning on moving my boat off the river 50 miles away, to a lake about 15 miles away. The lake isn't as sexy, but I will end up using the boat more often and hopefully save time and money. I figure $100 a weekend for fuel will suit my needs when this happens.

sdesmond
02-27-2008, 11:27 PM

or...Have a running tab at the local marina on the lake and not worry about the gas till till the end of the month:eek: If marina gas prices were cheaper I would do it. On our lake they are probably $.80 per gallon more. I just take gas cans to the station and take them down to the lift to fill up.

sand2snow22
02-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Not long ago the ole Sea Ray used to run on $20 a day!

I'm thinking gas will be around $4.80 at the lake this year! We'll ski the same if not more, I'm hoping it will keep some folks away, but that doesn't work. Every year there are more people and more boats.

lanier92prostar
02-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Gas prices probably won't affect our skiing habits as much as the lake levels are. We have already cancelled a trip camping due to projected gas prices. And the think I was conplaining about 2.75 for diesel last summer!!!

emnesto
02-28-2008, 12:48 AM
I was also getting cut off at $75. The convenience store manager told me to select "Pay Inside" and pump away. It works great.

djhuff
02-28-2008, 09:21 AM
2 summers ago, I bought 5-5 gallon cans that stay in the back of my truck. We have a website here that tells the cheapest gas, I just make that gas station on my way to a jobsite and fill up on the cheapest gas in the area. Saves a few cents a gallon, but it adds up.

And now that I have an icemaker at the house, I don't have to stop for anything on the way to the lake.

coz
02-28-2008, 09:55 AM
And now that I have an icemaker at the house, I don't have to stop for anything on the way to the lake.

Sound like you have it all planned out :D

chudson
02-28-2008, 10:08 AM
When my 2 kids were young we would be driving out of the bay and they would always start a countdown to the "no wake bouy" and when we went by the bouy at 3 -2 -1 "Blastoff" we would blow out of the hole and make a hard right turn and they got the biggest kick out of that. Worry about the gas? Heck no that is just one of multitudes of memories from the boat!!!!

edit: Skimp on gas in the car if you have to, but have fun on the lake!!!

barefoot
02-28-2008, 11:10 AM
I’ll echo what a lot of people have said…I don’t think it’ll slow me down too much. My budget adjusts come spring to accommodate all the gas I buy. Not so much going out to dinner like I do in the winter. Save money by grilling during the summer. Not so many vacations during the summer…going to the lake is my vacation. It all ebbs and flows.

peason
02-28-2008, 12:23 PM
I don't think the gas prices will interupt our summer fun. Hopefully it will keep some of the other boats off the lake. Like Plymouth guy said - we spend too much of the winter looking out at ice! Our kids may get fewer pulls on the tube - but that is fine with me.

88 PS190
02-28-2008, 12:28 PM
I use approx 36 gallons of fuel a week in our boat. It will add up.

When we have guests the numbers go way up.

Willski
02-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Won't affect my habits....just cost a bit more.

Ric
02-28-2008, 01:33 PM
time to get out of the sport if you are counting the costs...I'm gettin a check from uncle george in May that will buy my gas, yeeeehaaaawwwJust curious how many of you are going to alter your habits in any way, shape, or form because of fuel prices.

Harvey
02-28-2008, 02:00 PM
It will slow me down but only in certain ways. Less trips to "the spot" and more morning ski runs during the week.

At $4 a gallon it will cost between $150-200 for a 5-6 hour trip at "the spot". My morning ski runs will still be cheap since I live less than 10 miles from the lake and we only burn about 5-6 gallons on morning runs.

bcampbe7
02-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Gas prices won't affect my boating this Summer. However, not owning a boat will! :D

ShamrockIV
02-28-2008, 02:33 PM
i would think not but i know in the end it will!!!!!!!!

flipper
02-28-2008, 02:34 PM
I forgot to mention, I don't think there will be any of that "Don't worry about it" when people offer to chip in for gas.

lanier92prostar
02-28-2008, 02:53 PM
I forgot to mention, I don't think there will be any of that "Don't worry about it" when people offer to chip in for gas.

That is the first thing that I thought. You will have to pay to play if I have to!!

454Prostar190
02-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Nah... Shamrock said he was going to keep my gas tank full.

$300.00 max per weekend is about right for me... if we make the trip to "Lost Isle" :D. I usually figure $100.00 per day. Premium on the Sacramento Delta has been around $4. for the past couple of years. That's why I work Saturdays in the winter! Rick

Ric
02-28-2008, 03:03 PM
I forgot to mention, I don't think there will be any of that "Don't worry about it" when people offer to chip in for gas. agreed ! :cool:

Sodar
02-28-2008, 03:09 PM
time to get out of the sport if you are counting the costs...

Naw, just trying to figure it out... I guess I am just not a baller like all of your guys! :)

ShamrockIV
02-28-2008, 03:12 PM
not me sodar my man!!! I am ballin on a budget!!!!

bcampbe7
02-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Naw, just trying to figure it out... I guess I am just not a baller like all of your guys! :)

Who are you kiddin'. You are the king baller! We've seen the pictures! :D

Chas
02-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Anybody ever look at the 'road tax?'

My uncle had a 1000 gallon underground tank and a cool old gas pump. He fueled his own cars and tractors. Had a 200 gallon diesel tank as well.

But the thing is, he paid taxes only on the gas which went into a car or truck which was driven on public roads.

Now - how does that apply to our boats?

Are the 'public waterways' the same, or should we be allowed to not pay taxes on gas for the boat?

Forgive me if this has been discussed before. Direct me to the thread and I'll go away.

Sodar
02-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Who are you kiddin'. You are the king baller! We've seen the pictures! :D

Boy, do I wish Beau!

Trying to buy a house a has really tightened the belt. I stepped into Kohl's the other day, for the first time ever. I wanted to get some shorts and they were having a sale. I got an additional 15% off the sale price, if I used a Kohl's card... so ended up borrowing a card from my mom, just to get the extra $5 off!! I never thought I would be excited about $10 shorts, but I got 5 pairs for what I usually pay for 1 pair from the surf shop! :o

captain planet
02-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Won't slow me down a bit. I have already started to put money aside for gas in the boat this summer.

bcampbe7
02-28-2008, 03:36 PM

My uncle had a 1000 gallon underground tank and a cool old gas pump. He fueled his own cars and tractors. Had a 200 gallon diesel tank as well.

But the thing is, he paid taxes only on the gas which went into a car or truck which was driven on public roads.

Are the 'public waterways' the same, or should we be allowed to not pay taxes on gas for the boat?

Forgive me if this has been discussed before. Direct me to the thread and I'll go away.

I think it is different for every state.

I am pretty sure residents of Missouri can deduct all taxes paid for non-road use vehicles including boats. You cannot in Tennessee.

bcampbe7
02-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Boy, do I wish Beau!

Trying to buy a house a has really tightened the belt. I stepped into Kohl's the other day, for the first time ever. I wanted to get some shorts and they were having a sale. I got an additional 15% off the sale price, if I used a Kohl's card... so ended up borrowing a card from my mom, just to get the extra $5 off!! I never thought I would be excited about $10 shorts, but I got 5 pairs for what I usually pay for 1 pair from the surf shop! :o

I hear ya man!

I don't buy anything unless it is on sale.

Nothing wrong with Kohls either.

bcampbe7
02-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Boy, do I wish Beau!

To add to my above post since I cannot edit from work:

I can't imagine being able to afford a house in California. I know I would have to make a lot more money than I do now to be able to afford anything comparable to my current house.

Sodar
02-28-2008, 03:41 PM

I have heard of this, but know very little about it. The only tid-bit I ever heard about it, was while I was working for a passenger ferry company and I heard through the grapevine, that at the end of the year, the road tax that the company paid for diesel was able to be written off in a tax deduction. I guess the red-dye diesel is the non-road diesel.

88 PS190
02-28-2008, 03:59 PM

Yep, fuel used for on road is taxed, that used offroad is typically not, particularly in such businesses as excavation/paving and farming. Un-taxed diesel fuel for instance is normally dyed RED, if you are pulled over and have red fuel in an on road vehicle there are steep fines for this.
Gasoline is normally not dyed, my uncle is a farmer and has fuel tanks on site as well, and if he puts any of the fuel into a car or truck he then fills out a form for the number of gallons and is then charged the Tax.
In many states you can file for a return of tax on fuel used offroad or in boats, you'd have to look at your own state's laws, MI for example taxes fuel used for recreation, such as ORV's and Boats. Some states (Indiana I think is one) do not and will then refund you that tax.

wakeX2wake
02-28-2008, 04:00 PM
will they not charge the road tax for pulling the boat on the road? more weight, wear, and tear... just a thought?

yea on the buying the house thing I just went through that whole thing myself and i'm proud of my decision... i keep the boat and move in w/ a friend pay him rent and save on gas (and he splits gas w/ me when we got to the water anyways) and if i get tired of his crap i just spend a couple of days at my girlfriend's house until he's ready to not get on my nerves anymore and then we go out and get drunk... i work to pay for toys... it's just money

Ric
02-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Naw, just trying to figure it out... I guess I am just not a baller like all of your guys! :) don't even start that. I've seen pics of your boat, truck, house, garage AND your lady! You define the calibling here, don't even try to sell it different

Harvey
02-28-2008, 07:17 PM

In the great state of Texas you can get your road tax back. All you have to do is save your reciepts and then file the necessary paperwork (1 page) and mail the reciepts with the paperwork and you get it back. Here is the link for those in Texas not in the know: http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxforms/06-forms.html

76S&S
02-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Gas is not my problem this summer. My wife is pregnant and due in early July, so I will probably not get as much time on the water as I like.

We had a little one last July. We spent a lot of time on the water until about a week or two before she delivered. Things did slow down then, but me and the other two kids still got some water time.

As for this year, it will make me think about what I'm spending but when I hear the laughs from the kids or one of them lands a new wakeboarding trick all of those thoughts will dissappear.

h2oskifreak
02-28-2008, 07:48 PM
I skied 42 outings last year and acepted gas $ 3x. I might be a little more willing to accept help, but will try to get out just as much. Other things come into play, to be fair. I was flush, last year and my ski partner, not so much. Things are tighter all the way around this year (divorce).

MMCCAR12
02-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Taking our first trip to Blythe Calif. this weekend for this season. The water is up and the air temp in the 80's. But we are going to double up and only take one motorhome and one boat to save on gas money. We are going to have to due these type of trips so we can go again in two weeks and so on. We are going to try and stay more days when we do take several motorhomes and boats to make it cost effective.

Just going back and forth to work is killing me.

Good luck

Slinkyredfoot
02-28-2008, 08:18 PM
I skied 42 outings last year and acepted gas $ 3x. I might be a little more willing to accept help, but will try to get out just as much. Other things come into play, to be fair. I was flush, last year and my ski partner, not so much. Things are tighter all the way around this year (divorce).

AARE you gonna get to keep the boat?

TX.X-30 fan
02-28-2008, 08:41 PM
3 min. from the ramp instead of 185 miles, No hotel rooms x 175 + no restaurants. Gas for the boat will be a pleasure to pay this year! If I had to guess summers used to cost 6 to 8 grand so a few thousand in boat gas is sweet. Beer costs are estimated to remain constant! :D

Sodarski is that a Polish name? :confused: And are we still talking about that smoking hott teacher???? 8p

Harvey
02-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Beer costs are estimated to remain constant! :D

Don't count on it!!!!! (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=20019&highlight=beer+prices)

h2oskifreak
02-28-2008, 08:53 PM
AARE you gonna get to keep the boat?
He!! yes, I am keepin the boat. In fact I'm keeping Both boats, 5 cars, the house and yes, I admit it..the Jet Ski. Keep you grubby paws off my M.C. lol. (directed at the ex, not you my friend).

Jerseydave
02-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Water time will not suffer one bit for us. My friend has an X-1 so we alternate days, my X-star on the days that end in "Y" and his boat on the other days! (hmmm, sounds expensive already!)

I've thought about buying a 275 gal. tank for our farm and getting gas delivered, but I don't think I'd pay for the tank and pump very quickly.

I do have a HESS credit card which gave me 10% off for the first 90 days, 5% off after that. I use it for fuel in all my vehicles, saves me a ton of $$ at the end of each month.

Anyone who wakeboards with me always kicks in $20, so that helps.

Going to try and get my 5 y.o. daughter up on a wakeboard this summer, I'd pay $20/gal. to make that happen! :)

ShamrockIV
02-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Going to try and get my 5 y.o. daughter up on a wakeboard this summer, I'd pay $20/gal. to make that happen! :)

Amen bro!!!! Can anyone out a pricetag on family time like that????
man they grow up so quick!!!!:(

defender1009
02-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Guys, gas ain't gonna be $4.50/gallon this summer.

signed, the eternal optimist.

jimmer2880
02-29-2008, 12:41 PM
I have a 120 mile a day commute. sold my 18mpg Jeep Wrangler and picked up a very used 47mpg Volkswagen Jetta Diesel. At gas/fuel prices of 3.00 for gas, 3.50 for diesel, that saves me $2600.00 per year.

Boat gas is covered :D

mccobmd
02-29-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm with you guys, I will go the same. It's 30 miles to the lake, about 4 hours on it and 40 dollars in gas total because I don't own a tube and when no one's behind the boat the kids are swimming around it. I've never been on on cruising so it'll be 60 dollars a trip. Helps that I don't have a car payment or boat payment, that buy's a lot of gas.

123src
03-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Not long ago the ole Sea Ray used to run on $20 a day!

I'm thinking gas will be around $4.80 at the lake this year! We'll ski the same if not more, I'm hoping it will keep some folks away, but that doesn't work. Every year there are more people and more boats.

Sand, I am with you. The $$ will not slow us down, but hopefully will make the toobers and cruisers think twice about tearing up the lake/river just for the fun of doing S turns all day!

trickskier
03-01-2008, 05:12 PM
I may switch from 93 octane to 89 octane...............:rolleyes:

TheOneandOnly
03-01-2008, 06:21 PM
havent got to see what the new boat is going to cost per day, but the 45 gallon tank with a low tank on the truck will be painful :(

We'll be looking to have others pitch in...

michael freeman
03-01-2008, 09:58 PM
I actually plan to spend more time on the lake this year. Worked too much OT last year and I plan on spending a lot of me (and friends) time this year out on the lake.

I do think the lakes will be a little less crowded on non holidays, and that boat sales for the low end (price) of the market will be effected as belts get tighter. For people buying $70k+ boats, they will ignore the higher fuel costs and ***** about it on web sights. (like we are doing now)

Ski Bum
03-02-2008, 12:00 AM
It wont effect me I'll still ski 4-5 days a week. I'll make my friends just bring more BEER

dapicatti
03-02-2008, 03:22 AM
Its not going to stop us at all this year. You can't get the enjoyment that we do from our MC any other way, at any price, and its so worth spending time away with friends and family. I can't imagine staying home at all.

Lennyp04
03-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Nope it sure won't stop my family. I've been on the water my who life and couldn't imagine not using the boat. We put 58 hours on from the beggining of July to the second week in September

Covi
03-02-2008, 08:43 AM
I'll think about it a little more when filling up but, if that's the price I have to pay to put a smile on my families face no problem!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-03-2008, 05:51 PM
I doubt it.

Sodar
05-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Is everyone still feeling the same way?

They say $5 a gallon by 4th of July and $6 a gallon by summer's end!

Anyone listen or read the hearing with the Oil Executives?

trickskier
05-21-2008, 05:04 PM
This is when you tell your friends: "MY BOAT RUNS ON GAS, NOT THANKS "

brucemac
05-21-2008, 05:14 PM
it won't change our plans, but it's going to sting a bit on our two annual road trip weekends. i'm guestimating about a $600 in gas between tow rig and boat for each of our two scheduled trips--and that's a pretty safe bet.

Sodar, $6?! where'd you hear that?

wakeX2wake
05-21-2008, 05:16 PM
This is when you tell your friends: "MY BOAT RUNS ON GAS, NOT THANKS "

YUP... not slowing up any... good riding buddy of mine took his boat in March and between splittling time between mine and his he's already but 42 hrs on his this yr (it's an '08)... i'm writing mine down next time i'm out and logging hrs vs gas usage vs people weight etc... not slowing down... going to buy less cheaper beer and go to the bar less... had a $100+ trip this weekend (which is up there for a single person in this area)

stuartmcnair
05-21-2008, 05:37 PM
no, it's worth every dollar to watch my son wakeboard...

wakeX2wake
05-21-2008, 05:40 PM
i take back part of it though... where in the past i would get tired of riding and drive around the lake and check out houses and follow along w/ folks projects on their houses... not any more... if someone isn't riding... the boat is off and i'm eating crackers and/or drinking beer and having good convorsation

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-21-2008, 05:47 PM
I think about Gas.

pkskier
05-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Probably will not do as much cruising as in the past, but it won't affect how much I ski. But I have bought 3 kayaks and sail boat this spring so I will still be on the water.

endl
05-21-2008, 06:35 PM
I bought a flow-n-go. I will import gas down to the boat. Not filling up on the lake any more. I also have some good friends who pitch in and buy gas, food ect.
We have already stopped eating out as much to offset the cost of fuel.

I filled up on the way to the lake 3 weeks ago it ran almost 350.00 for the boat.

Sodar
05-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Sodar, $6?! where'd you hear that?

Heard it on CNN. They say $6 by the end of summer and $7 by the beginning of next year.

I hate watching the news... they really give you a doom and gloom perspective, but even so this is getting a bit out of control.

magnum
05-21-2008, 06:47 PM
I think when it gets that high , This country will start shutting down pretty quick are you better put LOCKS on all your gas tanks

chico
05-21-2008, 06:50 PM
here in southern ontario it`s $1.25 a litre,which works out to just over$5.00 a us. gallon.we all chip in for gas .it won`t slow us down.

brucemac
05-21-2008, 06:53 PM
yeah we may be revisting the gunslinger posts in the other thread this time next year! :)

seriously though, $6 or $7!?

wow. i honestly don't know what to say to that. guess i need to work harder and smarter.

sand2snow22
05-21-2008, 07:08 PM
I've said it before, but I hope it keeps some wallys off of the water. I don't know if it will. Skiers/wakeboarders are pretty good about chipping in for gas.

TX.X-30 fan
05-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Heard it on CNN. They say $6 by the end of summer and $7 by the beginning of next year.

I hate watching the news... they really give you a doom and gloom perspective, but even so this is getting a bit out of control.

That will certainly make our gas guzzling boats worthless.

87MCProstar
05-21-2008, 10:22 PM
i agree with the above person who said if gas hits 6 or 7 bucks a gallon, this country is in the crapper, with how weak the $ is there is no way people are going to afford doing anything...that of course is for those of us who don't make 6+ figures a year.

TMCNo1
05-21-2008, 10:35 PM
According to some, our boat never goes in the water anyway, so I can't complain about boat gas!
Looks like we might need to plan on WWIII when we invade the rest of the Middle East to get their oil or convince the tree hugging, six peckered billygoat saving Enviornmentalists to allow us to drill for oil here at home, where we know it exists!

suedv
05-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Rick has been riding the city bus to work rather than drive his truck. A lot of our family's boat time is with the ski team and that isn't going to change. I'm guessing our family outings will be closer to home. When we go farther from home it will be when we have the time to stay long enough to make the truck gas worth the trip.

lanier92prostar
05-22-2008, 12:54 AM
We will be camping closer to home this summer. Trying to stay within a tank of gas. Will not change the lake plans, since we don't do much riding around, just skiing and wakeboarding. We really don't go through a lot of gas and everyone pitches in for each tank. If gas gets as high as 7 bucks, it will definitely change our every other summer camping trips.

dapicatti
05-22-2008, 01:31 AM
It was almost $100 to fill up the Yukon today;....makes you think about it when it hits 3 figures per tank. We will still go, but maybe not as much I am not sure.

prtyboy
05-22-2008, 02:35 AM
Just got back from my first dip this season. After i stopped to fill up i *****ed pretty much the whole way to the lake. Backed in , turned the key and poof.... all the sudden it didnt matter anymore. It will for sure put a bigger dent in the ol ' wallet but hell , isnt that what we work for ?

Didnt hurt that once we got there we were literally the only boat on the water. can you ask for anything better than glass your first trip out with a entire lake to yourself... /cheers

Knox's_Better_half
05-22-2008, 08:05 AM
According to some, our boat never goes in the water anyway, so I can't complain about boat gas!
Looks like we might need to plan on WWIII when we invade the rest of the Middle East to get their oil or convince the tree hugging, six peckered billygoat saving Enviornmentalists to allow us to drill for oil here at home, where we know it exists!

Right on Harold!!! I am with you on this one. There areso many available resources in the State of Alaska....I know. I worked in Prudhoe Bay AK where the oil fields are...as a summer hire. And believe me, the enviromentalist will not drill there due to the possibility of harming a caribou or a polar bear.....going to back out now before I rant anymore about....tree hugging liberals:mad::mad:..............................

BIGBADBLUE
05-22-2008, 09:10 AM
This is what I am talking about!!! I was just watching Fox News and they had a piece on about the Polar bear and drilling. Whatever ... we have zoo's right?

Monte
05-22-2008, 09:36 AM

Harold your photoshop skills amaze me sometimes8p

damaged442
05-22-2008, 09:36 AM
They can drill all they want wherever they want, Gulf of Mexico, Alaska, wherever. It really makes no difference when we don't use what we drill. We sell it to Japan, China, India, etc, and continue to buy from OPEC. That way we continue to get boned, and all the oil companies can rake in their billions in profit each quarter.

As far as the prices affecting what I do, it already has. I've got two older cars that get 8-12 mpg. I've only had them out to get inspected. I haven't been driving them around because I'm saving the $$$ for gas money for the boat this week. It used to be I could drive my Cutlass, AND my 442, AND the boat. Now, it has changed to OR. Sure, I could sell them and all my issues would be resolved, but I'm not yet ready to give up on all the things I have busted my *** to have. It certainly gets frustrating when there isn't ANYTHING you can do about it.

Gonzo
05-22-2008, 09:40 AM

Im with you either turn the ME to glass and send guys in with Rad suits and cork screws ;) OR lets all adopt an endagered animal and start drilling at home again. I will have room for a spotted owl in my attic I think.:rolleyes:

Jorski
05-22-2008, 10:04 AM
No it won'r affect my boat usage...here's why:

1) cottage taxes $5,000
2) cottage maintenance $5,000
3) cottage annual "project" $5,000
4) Boat Insurance $1,500
5) Boat storage $600
6) utilities and miscellaneous $ 2,000
7) Gas to and from cottage, $1,000
Annual Operating budget for cottage not including boat gas just a hair over $20,000

Last year boat gas was about $1,200...this year it will probably be around 1,600-1,700.

So the difference of say $500, does not make a big impact on the annual budget. Further considering the capital tied up in the cottage and the boat, it would make little sense stand there watching it float alll summer tied up to the dock.

brucemac
05-22-2008, 10:19 AM
It was almost $100 to fill up the Yukon today;....makes you think about it when it hits 3 figures per tank. We will still go, but maybe not as much I am not sure.

you're lucky! it must be a bit cheaper over there. my station's pumps shut off at $90 and it doesn't come close to filling my yukon! :)

05-22-2008, 10:21 AM
I was SO happy the gas prices went over $4.00 here finally!

Monte
05-22-2008, 10:22 AM

Ump it is time for you to buy a moped..;)

ttu
05-22-2008, 10:23 AM

and a paddle boat to.:rolleyes:

Monte
05-22-2008, 10:25 AM
and a paddle boat to.:rolleyes:

True, but He's going to need some very strong legged people to pull him slolom

05-22-2008, 10:27 AM

apparently you dont have a good memory Monte. I am going out and buying a 3/4 ton Crew cab deisel because they are ccool. so deal with it.

the only way I am going green, is on St. Patricks day when I have a green beer.

Burn those tires!!!!!!

wakeX2wake
05-22-2008, 10:31 AM
i think i'm going to befirend the US Postal cycling team to pedal my converted x2 around the lake while I ride... Lance is driving

Gonzo
05-22-2008, 10:37 AM

Think he can find a diesel moped?

Monte
05-22-2008, 10:38 AM
apparently you dont have a good memory Monte. I am going out and buying a 3/4 ton Crew cab deisel because they are ccool. so deal with it.

the only way I am going green, is on St. Patricks day when I have a green beer.

Burn those tires!!!!!!

UMP you burn less gas in a moped. You can just buy the cool truck park it in your driveway, and look at it daily..

Or you could Jack it up like 10 ft. Put mud bogger 44's on it and watch the gas gauge drop.. you can burn up to 2 gal/ mile;)

sdesmond
05-22-2008, 10:59 AM

$4.09 here in NW Indiana this morning. Up from $3.89 last night.

6ballsisall
05-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Filled up the Suburban today for $3.69 a gallon after the $.10 Kroger discount. Why I am smiling that I didnt pay $4 a gallon is really pretty sick when you think about it........:rolleyes::(

05-22-2008, 11:08 AM
$4.09 here in NW Indiana this morning. Up from $3.89 last night.

thats awesome!!!!!!
:)

Gerd
05-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Don't feel bad guys. Gas around here translates to around $5.20 a gallon and they're getting the stuff out of the ground 200 miles from here. The refinery is only 10 miles from our place, so go figure that out.
I guess it is what it is. If that's the price we pay to a bit of fun...so be it.:D

defender1009
05-22-2008, 11:35 AM
I think I heard it put in a way that puts it in better perspective for me (at least concerning my car usage).

If I was walking somewhere that was 15-18 miles away with my wife and kids, and someone came up in a car and offered to take me there for $3.80, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

Moving 5000 pounds of steel, along with your family a distance of 15 miles for under $4 is a helluva deal when you look at it that way!

Gerd
05-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Even better, what's the cost to produce a bottle of water?

TX.X-30 fan
05-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Filled up the Suburban today for $3.69 a gallon after the $.10 Kroger discount. Why I am smiling that I didnt pay $4 a gallon is really pretty sick when you think about it........:rolleyes::(

No way your should ***** about gas prices, with what you save in shampoo alone each year will easily offset rising gas prices. :D

prtyboy
05-22-2008, 01:59 PM
I filled up on the way to work for 4.79/gallon. There is a ad in one of the diesel truck mag's i get that said there is a law coming into play i think in 09' wich requires every car sold to get 35mpg or better. It show'd certain cars/suvs that are mixing diesel engines with electric power to produce cars/suvs that can get upwards of 100 mpg, it showed a jeep concept that is said to get a minimum of 110 mpg. Makes me sick to think about the 9 my chev gets in comparison ...

and just for the record none of this is fact , i dont wanna come off sounding like i know what im talking about or anything , just something that caught my eye after filling up this morn. anyone know more about this , or heard something similar ?

sand2snow22
05-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Rick has been riding the city bus to work rather than drive his truck. A lot of our family's boat time is with the ski team and that isn't going to change. I'm guessing our family outings will be closer to home. When we go farther from home it will be when we have the time to stay long enough to make the truck gas worth the trip.

Here, mass transit riding is way up, plus the bikers, moped and pedestrians are out in full force. Driving down the street reminds me of Bangkok.

sand2snow22
05-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Check out the video of the inventor, ha, ha? I'd like to hear from BigMac on this one?

http://www.katu.com/

05-22-2008, 04:53 PM
WOOO HOOOO!!!! GAS JUST HIT $4.24 a gallon!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

Wesser
05-22-2008, 11:26 PM
over $5.30 usd a gallon here

wboarders
05-23-2008, 01:16 PM
got lucky, filled my 250 gallon tank in March, used my uncles farm discount and got it for $3.15 a gallon (in Canada), so shouldn't be much alteration to my boating plans this summer.

suedv
05-23-2008, 01:38 PM
WOOO HOOOO!!!! GAS JUST HIT $4.24 a gallon!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

UMP, you're making me depressed.

jraben8
05-23-2008, 02:11 PM
I will admit it is making me re-evaluate whether or not I buy another boat immediately after selling this one.