PDA

View Full Version : Removing registration numbers

mrprostar
02-27-2008, 04:05 PM
We transfered the registration and title for our boat this off season and are getting it ready to take it out for the first time this season. We need to get rid of our old Kansas letters and numbers that are on the hull and get new ones. What is the best way to remove the old numbers without scratching the gel coat? Goo-Gone comes to mind, but I doubt it will work worth a crap on this.

MarkL
02-27-2008, 04:20 PM
I used a decal removal wheel I purchased from a local NAPA auto parts store. It's like a gum eraser you mount on a drill. Works fast, doesn't hurt the gelcoat. Pros use a plastic blade. Google to find a source, I've never seen one in an auto store. Don't use a razor blade! Heating the decals with a heat gun or hair dryer is essential if you are going to peel them off by hand. Be careful if you are using a heat gun, though.

flipper
02-27-2008, 04:22 PM
You can get a rubber pad, that goes in a drill that takes them off great. I've used mine for decals and registration stickers. Heat gun will work, but then you have a mess from the glue that they will leave behind. I'll try to find a link for that rubber pad. I got mine at an auto paint shop so if you have one close by, ask them if they have something like that. I have also tried chemicals like goo gone, but they made more of a mess than anything.

T Scott
02-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Use a heat gun or a hair dryer to heat up the old decals which will make peeling them off easier. Then use Goo-gone to get rid of the residue.

flipper
02-27-2008, 04:58 PM
The one I have looks something like this one....works great!!!!

Found this one on ebay http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/27/b...ies-at-age-63/

wakolman
02-27-2008, 05:02 PM
I used a hair dryer and scraped with a credit card. Another vote for the goo gone. It made the sticky residue disappear.

Sodar
02-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Here is my specialized "mix".... http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=398169&postcount=38

andrewtimko
02-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Hair dryer and about 3 beers per side. I think it took about a case worth of time to peel ALL of the decals off the 190.

east tx skier
02-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Use a heat gun or a hair dryer to heat up the old decals which will make peeling them off easier. Then use Goo-gone to get rid of the residue.

+1 on the heat gun. Keep it moving and pull with your fingers. If it starts to stretch, you've gotten it too hot. Back off for a minute then get back after it. Time consuming, but easy.