PDA

View Full Version : My Boat is Cursed

jwchapman
02-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Some of you may remember this picture of my boat after the water rose 7 feet in one day and pinned it to the top of my boat house (spring 2003) - First two pictures.

Well - I've been struck again. Very bad storm Monday night - the third pic is my TriStar and a pair of Sea Doos - of all the places the tree could have fallen. The picture is from my in-laws - I'll get to asses the damage this weekend. From other pictures it is clear that one Sea Doo is completely crushed. I'm hoping the other one and the TriStar are salvageable.

icewake
02-27-2008, 11:28 AM
that is some really bad luck, looks like something that would happen to me. i hope everythign works out for the best with the situation

brucemac
02-27-2008, 11:30 AM
wow, that's really sad. i'm very sorry for you. not to make light, but it reminds me of that car insurance commercial where the guy is talking to the insurance company after a tree falls on his new car and the guy on the phone asks if it was a ficus, because it's only covered if it's a ficus. lol. i'm sorry though, that's horrible luck and horrible timing.

Monte
02-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Darn! what a mess... Hopefully you can find the parts to repair it..

coz
02-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Some of you may remember this picture of my boat after the water rose 7 feet in one day and pinned it to the top of my boat house (spring 2003) - First two pictures.

Well - I've been struck again. Very bad storm Monday night - the third pic is my TriStar and a pair of Sea Doos - of all the places the tree could have fallen. The picture is from my in-laws - I'll get to asses the damage this weekend. From other pictures it is clear that one Sea Doo is completely crushed. I'm hoping the other one and the TriStar are salvageable.

That's ugly, I hope for you and your toys sake the picture is actually worst than the damage.

flipper
02-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Man that sucks....hope they are both fixable.

east tx skier
02-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Sorry to see that. Those windshield parts, if you can find them, are spendy. Have some quotes ready for the insurance adjuster. I think Jim @ BAWS has helped several people on here out with their windshield glass needs.

ShamrockIV
02-27-2008, 11:44 AM
dang bro!!!!! u seem to be having my bad luck!!!!! boat looks totalled to me!! was worth alot too right??

Slinkyredfoot
02-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Sorry about your luck man, if weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all. Hope you get everything fixed and insurancetakes care of it all...

pkskier
02-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Sorry bout the luck there man, maybe it is not as bad as it looks. There is a guy in Wisconson that has some parts for TriStar. I don't have his information with me but I can get it if you need it.

drylandfish
02-27-2008, 02:07 PM
I feel your pain. We had some bad storms come through a few weeks ago. One of our pine trees fell on our Suburban and totaled it. The insurance company offered more than it was worth, so I let it go. Hopefully your insurance company will do you right also. Good luck!

ProTour X9
02-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Sorry Dude.....about the MC, the Sea Doos might have had it coming.....

ShamrockIV
02-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Sorry Dude.....about the MC, the Sea Doos might have had it coming.....

lol man that is wrong!! funny but wrong!!

Prostar Rich
02-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Sorry bout the luck there man, maybe it is not as bad as it looks. There is a guy in Wisconson that has some parts for TriStar. I don't have his information with me but I can get it if you need it.

I am not sure if you had given me his contact info also in the past but his name is Steve Smith and he is located in Southern WI. I have his number at my office and can post it as well if need be.

Prostar Rich

SkiDog
02-27-2008, 05:44 PM
I wish that would happen to the spec house I've been sitting on for 2 years!:( Sorry bout the boat man!

jimmer2880
02-27-2008, 06:47 PM
That poor boat. Hope it works out for you.

liledgy
02-27-2008, 10:46 PM
about 11 years ago I used to boat on a river, I always have had my boat on a shore station. I got a call from a friend that said the river had come up like 5-6 feet. My boat floated to top of canpy and then the whole lift was floating on top of my windshield. The boat and lift floated almost 2 miles down river until it hit shallow water. An older gentlemen went out in a bass boat and rescued my SS's. The next day myself and some friends rescued the lift. The boat held up rather well for the conditions, the top frame rail on the sides of the windshield are bent slightly and I also got a couple of small gouges in gel coat but nothing serious for a boat that is now 25 yrs. old. Its funny, one of the posters mentioned Steve Smith, in 1987 I traded my first boat an 82 SS for a 87 Prostar with a slot. I bought it from Steve at Lauderdale Lakes Marina.

duckguy
02-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Our family's 1996 Prostar 190 came from Steve as well. All I can say is how dealerships have evolved from then.

Prostar Rich
02-28-2008, 07:35 AM
I am not sure if you had given me his contact info also in the past but his name is Steve Smith and he is located in Southern WI. I have his number at my office and can post it as well if need be.

Prostar Rich

The last phone # I had to contact Steve is 262-743-1008. It's worth the call to see if he can help you out on your windshield.

Good luck,
Prostar Rich

hilljec
02-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Man there are a lot of trees down around Logan Martin. I live about a mile west of Stemley Bridge and Hwy 34 from the Civic Center near my house has tons of trees down. Guy here at work said they confirmed that it was an F1 tornado. Hope that you don't have much damage.

jwchapman
02-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the sympathy and suggestions everyone. The lake house is fine - just the water craft that were hit. My father in law and I are going to cut up the tree and take a good look at everything on Saturday. I talked to the insurance adjuster and he'll take a look after we get the tree off. I should get something from the insurance - will be interesting to see how much damage there really is.

jwchapman
03-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Boat and Jet Skis are all totaled. My father-in-law and I cut up and moved the trees (he is a great guy - as is my neighbor - he lent me the tractor to drag the tree trunks to the burn area to cut them up there).

I'm getting a fair insurance settlement so I am back in the market for another Mastercraft. Preferably a sub-$10,000 open bow one (looks like another TriStar in my future). Let me know if you know of one for sale in the Southeast.

I'm probably going to buy another pair of old jet skis as well. Even if they had it coming they are a lot of fun. Especially for going up the river to areas I would never take a boat.

Hrkdrivr
03-04-2008, 09:52 AM
"Even if they had it coming..."

Now THAT'S funny!

stuartmcnair
03-04-2008, 10:02 AM
when my boat was totalled the insurance company offered to let me buy it back for a few hundred..you ought to look into that and parts it out. I'm sure there are lots of things on the MC that you could sell off and make a little towards a new one.

dog paw
03-04-2008, 10:15 AM
when my boat was totalled the insurance company offered to let me buy it back for a few hundred..you ought to look into that and parts it out. I'm sure there are lots of things on the MC that you could sell off and make a little towards a new one.

For sure! I dont see any damage I would let them total any of them over. But if the numbers work for ya roll with it

LOL! Dont pretend to be a hater with the ski's you know you like em:D

Picking up a new RXPX next weekend to add to my fleet

Prostar Rich
03-04-2008, 12:10 PM

With out a doubt. If you decide to part it out hit me up.

Prostar Rich

pilot02
03-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Insurance companies are typically guaranteed a 20% salvage value so you can expect to pay at least that to buy it back from the. Is the hull cracked? Only thing I'm seeing in these pics is the windshield taken out.

jwchapman
03-04-2008, 12:31 PM
I was a little suprised they totaled it as well until I took a close look.

Boat Damage - windshield and frame broken, engine cover fiberglass cracked badly, fiberglass on top back is cracked badly, upholstery on engine cover and seats ripped, carpet ripped, boat trailer very badly bent - part of the tree landed directly on the boat guide and bent it all the way to the ground - along with the back left trailer runners. Unfortunately an 88 TriStar is just not worth very much (per NADA) and it doesn't take much fiberglass and gel coat work to total it out.

Jet Skis - one was completely smashed - no question on it. I thought the other was fine but a glancing blow cracked the fiberglass on both the top front and the hull. The jet ski trailer was also bend pretty badly. 1997 jet skis also aren't worth much so they totaled quickly as well.

The most annoying thing is going to be trying to replace them at a reasonable price. I had fixed almost all of the annoying little things that you have to deal with on an old boat - electronic module in the distributor, stereo and speakers, speedometers, new CNC prop, starter, alternator, battery cables, solenoid, plugs and wires, etc. While it looked a little rough it purred like a (very angry) kitten - a nice rumble. We had great fun with the boat for the last 6 summers and I'm sorry to see it go.

The jet skis were great fun too. And I often pulled a tube behind the TriStar. Please don't hate me.

88 PS190
03-04-2008, 02:50 PM
atleast snag the aftermarket bits from it. that prop and electronic ignition would probably treat you well.

ProTour X9
03-04-2008, 03:28 PM
lol man that is wrong!! funny but wrong!!

"Even if they had it coming..."

Now THAT'S funny!

Thank you, Good night :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

flipper
03-04-2008, 03:38 PM
I agree, part them out, put ads in the market place, use the money towards the new one. You should be able to get a chunk of change just for the engine.

CCAnderson
05-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Bump

I hate that your unfortunate loss is my gain. Don't worry though I will give the 541 a good work out this summer just as soon as the ramps reopen.

Thanks again. Did you ever replace the boat and and skis?