PDA

View Full Version : Where's the fuel filter?

lassy
02-27-2008, 11:59 AM
1999 X-star with LT 1 engine.

Is that it on top of the tank? If so how do I get it off?

Is it in the tank?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r234/ericlassiterspics/1999%20Mastercraft%20X-Star/P2260287.jpg

jkski
02-27-2008, 12:56 PM
It's actually in the tank. Your picture posted is of the actual fuel pump assembly and the filter sits on the very bottom of this assembly. In order to get to it, you need to remove fuel pump by disconnecting the electrical lines and carefully disconnecting the fuel line with a special tool. Once you've done this, put a referrence mark on the tank and the pump housing to help you line it up later when re-installing.
Now, remove all of the screws and make sure you have a new rubber gasket ready to go on, as the old one will most likely not be able to be re-used. Pull the pump out and you'll see the filter on the bottom. Replace and put back together being careful to tighten the bolts in a cross pattern.

Hope this helps.

lassy
02-27-2008, 04:45 PM
why couldn't i simply leave the fuel line attached and just take the entire assembly out like i would anyways?

what is this special tool you speak of?

thanks

jkski
02-27-2008, 05:20 PM
I do not believe you will have enough play in the fuel line to get the entire pump assembly out of the tank. With that said, they do vary slightly in size, however, mine, in a PS197, was about 12-14inches tall. On top of this, you will want to most likely remove the pump from the boat and take it over to a work bench to remove the actual filter, as it can sometimes be a pain to get off of there.
The special tool is simply a high pressure fuel line fitting removal tool. You can purchase the tool at your local auto parts store, and it simply allows you to release the compression fitting and slide the line off. You place the tool over the fueld outlet coming off the pump and slide it inside of the hose fitting and it should release.
Hope this helps.

russlars
02-27-2008, 05:56 PM
When I replaced my fuel filter I did not have the special tool to remove the fuel line. I was able to get it out and replace it without removing the line. However, that being said, it would have been much easier to remove the fuel line to get the job done. I have a 99 Prostar 205 and in order to get the assembly out of the tank I had to skoot the gas tank forward so that I could lift the assemble all of the way out of the tank and still clear the overhanging fiberglass on the transom. It is a bit of a pain to do and I think that next time I will let the dealer do it for me. By the way, does anyone know why they design them this way when they know that it will require replacing the filter at regular intervals? Why not make it an in-line filter that you can get to without so much hassle!:(

lassy
02-28-2008, 09:36 AM
So next question, where should I get the filter from? Online shop, dealer?

jkski
02-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Depends on how much you like your local dealer and how close they are. Personally, I like to support my local dealer as they are always there to help me if I need it. With that said, you know you will get the right part if you buy it from the dealer and my experience has been that it does not cost much different.
Good luck and again, do not forget to buy the new rubber gasket as your old one will most likely not be re-usable.

lassy
02-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Excellent, thanks for everyones help

rkmason
02-28-2008, 02:56 PM
By the way, does anyone know why they design them this way when they know that it will require replacing the filter at regular intervals? Why not make it an in-line filter that you can get to without so much hassle!:(

The filter needs to protect the pump from ingesting any debris. If the pump is in-tank, then the filter has to also be in-tank ahead of the pump.