PDA

View Full Version : swim platform

ULMboarder
02-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Ok im about to buy a 1979 19' mastercraft. the swim platform on this thing is fiberglass i think. right now it is covered in carpet that matches the boat but i dont like the carpet. I would like to put teak on there but i think that will cost a lot. any suggestions?

JBaker
02-27-2008, 12:17 AM
Welcome! Sorry I'm not overly familiar with anything that far back, but I'm sure someone will be.

In the meantime, do you have any pics you could post? Might be helpful.

ULMboarder
02-27-2008, 12:25 AM
i have pics but i dont know how to resize them. the board wont let me put them up.

h2oskifreak
02-27-2008, 12:45 AM
You are correct it will cost a lot. I put one on a '75 and I am in almost $1,000.00. I had to buy it, have it cut down, custom brackets made and the transom re-inforced. Depending on cash flow, you may try to re-do what is on there to your liking. Good luck w/ your 79'.

88 PS190
02-27-2008, 12:52 AM
how are you with wood working?
Otherwise look for a used platform that's in decent shape and can be cut down if need be.

Brackets will depend on whats under there.

EricB
02-27-2008, 12:53 AM
ULM;
Before you swap out the fiberglass for a teak, consider the maintenece also. Teak requires alot of TLC. The glass platform does not. The glass platforms are not all that bad....

ULMboarder
02-27-2008, 01:20 AM
well im a construction major so i guess im decent with woodworking. i at least have access to all the tools. how much does teak strips cost?

i was also thinkin about pulling the carpet off and cuttin a piece of rubber of to the shape of the platform and gluein it on. has anyone tried that?

TMCNo1
02-27-2008, 05:32 AM
Call, Teak World, Lebenon, TN, 1-615-444-7269

Slinkyredfoot
02-27-2008, 07:33 AM
well im a construction major so i guess im decent with woodworking. i at least have access to all the tools. how much does teak strips cost?

i was also thinkin about pulling the carpet off and cuttin a piece of rubber of to the shape of the platform and gluein it on. has anyone tried that?

My 79 came with rubber matting on the swim platform that I have replaced twice in 29 years. You can buy some nice rubber mat from Air Junkie and can be glued on with contact cement. Works out great and looks original and good.....

ShamrockIV
02-27-2008, 09:05 AM
teakworld!!! they will fix u up!!! i got transom saver form them!
where u located in the southeast!! they are 15 min from me so that helped!!!

stuartmcnair
02-27-2008, 02:34 PM
teakworld!!! they will fix u up!!! i got transom saver form them!
where u located in the southeast!! they are 15 min from me so that helped!!!

I would hazard a guess that he is around Monroe, Louisiana

ShamrockIV
02-27-2008, 03:03 PM
does UPS not run in La??
would a teak one not hurt value??

jwroblew
02-27-2008, 03:08 PM
I had a '79 I know exactly what you are talking about. I would use hydro-turf to replace the carpet, hydroturf.com is the website. They mainly make "turf" for PWC but this product is great, all kinds of colors, patterns etc. look for the stuff called PWC mat. I am actually thinking about making an all hydro-turf swim platform for my '03 X7.

ULMboarder
02-28-2008, 01:54 AM
yes, im in monroe, louisiana. i really like the look of the teak. i would like to get rid of the carpet but the platform is still very sturdy. so i think im just gonna peel the carpet off and put a rubber mat on top. kind of like a truck bed mat.

this is kind of a funny side note. as i got to lookin real hard at the boat i noticed something. the text on the side and back of the boat is too new looking to be original. i noticed cause the letters look almost new. then i took a flash light and shined it down the side and could see the stars and the old text under the new text and the paint. its really kind of neat lookin. lol.

ULMboarder
02-28-2008, 01:54 AM
yes, im in monroe, louisiana. i really like the look of the teak. i would like to get rid of the carpet but the platform is still very sturdy. so i think im just gonna peel the carpet off and put a rubber mat on top. kind of like a truck bed mat.

this is kind of a funny side note. as i got to lookin real hard at the boat i noticed something. the text on the side and back of the boat is too new looking to be original. i noticed cause the letters look almost new. then i took a flash light and shined it down the side and could see the stars and the old text under the new text and the paint. its really kind of neat lookin. lol.

ULMboarder
02-28-2008, 01:56 AM
woops. didnt mean to double post.

atlfootr
02-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Ok im about to buy a 1979 19' mastercraft. the swim platform on this thing is fiberglass i think. right now it is covered in carpet that matches the boat but i dont like the carpet. I would like to put teak on there but i think that will cost a lot. any suggestions?Ur alotta late, I sold my 'ol swim platform to my bro Tman Scott :(
Sorry dude, it may of worked for ya ...

http://www.tmcowners.com/market/data/13/thumbs/swimplat_form01.jpg (http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1807&cat=13)
Swim Platform off '95 ProStar 205 SOLD!

ShamrockIV
02-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Ur alotta late, I sold my 'ol swim platform to my bro Tman Scott :(
Sorry dude, it may of worked for ya ...

http://www.tmcowners.com/market/data/13/thumbs/swimplat_form01.jpg (http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1807&cat=13)
Swim Platform off '95 ProStar 205 SOLD!

nope too much curve i think footer!!

atlfootr
02-28-2008, 08:16 AM
nope too much curve i think footer!!
Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be ... back on the road again :rolleyes:

ShamrockIV
02-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be ... back on the road again :rolleyes:

plus that one looks too wide!! s&s 's are narrow!!

burn up the road footer!!!!