PDA

View Full Version : Towing w/ a 76 Ford Bonco

GreenSpirit Hydro
02-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Attached is a pic of my 76 Ford Bronco. I am curious if it would be legit to tow my X-star w/ this truck. I mainly use this truck to cruise to the beach and downtown. It has a 305 v8 engine and 4 wheel drive. It also has a 3" lift. There is no owners manual to refer to, but I was thinking the 4 wheel drive would really help at the ramp. Any ideas? Thanks

6ballsisall
02-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Thats an awful short wheelbase for a heavier boat like an Xstar. Surely it could be done but I wouldn't want to do any highway trips with it. Does it have drum brakes up front or disk?

GreenSpirit Hydro
02-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Not sure about the brakes I think they are disk. Probably be about a 10 mile to the farthest launch point, never going faster than 35-40mph.

flipper
02-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Not sure about the brakes I think they are disk. Probably be about a 10 mile to the farthest launch point, never going faster than 35-40mph.

If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about doing it. Don't think I would go much faster though.

ShamrockIV
02-26-2008, 06:12 PM
10 miles no prob just go slow and take ur time!!
p.s. if u ever want to sell truck holler at me!!

Muttley
02-26-2008, 06:57 PM
You should be fine. You might look at a drop down receiver hitch, tho'.

M-Funf
02-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Thats an awful short wheelbase for a heavier boat like an Xstar. Surely it could be done but I wouldn't want to do any highway trips with it. Does it have drum brakes up front or disk?

How much does the X-Star weigh? (tongue and OAW).

Short trips should be O.K. Brakes would worry me a bit for hills or highway stops...

Did you do a bowtie conversion in that Ford??? 305? My old bronco had a 302...

BrianM
02-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Nice EB. I have a '70 half cab and wouldn't tow my Prostar with it at least not for any distance. Plenty of umph but the brakes are terrible and the short wheelbase would be sketch with a heavier boat. But for the short distance you are talking about you would probably be OK.

phecksel
02-26-2008, 09:21 PM
X-Star will toss that vehicle around quite a bit. Take it slow, leave lots of stopping space. Backing will be tough having a long trailer with that short of a wheel base.

gabehonda
02-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Just wanted to let you know .... Love the Bronco.... set up perfectly.. i have had a 69 and a 70... never used them to tow, so not much help here.... again , very cool

T Scott
02-26-2008, 11:35 PM
p.s. if u ever want to sell truck holler at me!!

Here's one for sale in Orlando.....

http://orlando.craigslist.org/car/587944453.html

teddy
02-27-2008, 12:06 AM
I would doubt if the tow rating on a Series I Bronco would be more than 2000#. It is short and light not the qualities one is looking for in towing something big and heavy like an X-Star.

I towed my Pro Star with a Jeep Wrangler from the lake house to the boat launch a distance of about 1.5 miles and it was adequate. But when I pulled the wake boat of roughly 5000# I could smell clutch burning and felt like the boat was pushing the Jeep, not the jeep pulling the boat. The Wrangler was rated at 2000#. I towed it through the city and it was just unnerving as it took to far to stop to long to start and I didn't feel in control. I think the Bronco is bigger but that is a lot of boat to put behind a still small vehicle.

Good Luck

ski_king
02-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Nice Truck!!
I had a 73 years ago. I never towed a boat with it, but did use it to tow a snowmobile trailer a good bit.

I wouldn't want to do any highway towing with the X-Star as it has toooo short of a wheel base, but on the ramp, it would be great.

GreenSpirit Hydro
02-27-2008, 11:38 AM
After everyones input I think it might be safer just to use my 4-runner. The Toyota is only a 2 wheel drive, so after I load the boat on the trailer should I put the truck in "Drive" or maybe "2nd gear" to pull it off the ramp? I am wrestling w/ the idea of selling the truck..but its cherry and most people probably don't want to pay what its worth. Check out www.rockyroads.com and see what some $60K+ broncos look like.

ShamrockIV
02-27-2008, 11:59 AM
whatcha want for it???
on the gear thing, how steep is the ramp?? i would just put in it d. if it needs to change if it will!! also if truck starts smoking it is not a good thing!!!!

GreenSpirit Hydro
02-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Here is some more eye candy for you shamrock:

GreenSpirit Hydro
02-27-2008, 03:06 PM
sorry having problems uploading attachments