PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Airguide Speedometers

mlay
02-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Folks,
Still working on bringing a '82ss back to life. I have exhausted all resources trying to replace the original airguide speedometers, I have to replace them with newer flushmount ones. I know there are many people on here that have had to deal with this on the older models.
My question is when you remove the speedometers the existing hole is 1 1/2 to 2" wide, it needs to be (depending on the guage) 3 1/4" - 3 1/2". Looking for the best way to cut this out without tearing up the dash in the process, if it was still one solid piece there would not be a problem with the bits available today. Thought about putting a guide stirp of wood behind the existing hole but may cut through that in the process. If you know the job I am referring to it seems pretty tricky due to the rear of the dash. The top half of the opening is only fiberglass approx 1/4" thick but the bottom half has wood and is approx 1" thick.

If anyone has done this and has some suggestion please fill me in.

Thanks,

ski_king
02-26-2008, 05:49 PM
A few years back, I updated my old surface mount airguides with the newer flush mount ones before they quit making them. I used a hole saw to cut the new hole. I also replaced the woodgrain wallpaper on the dash with 1/4 in. thick plywood.

east tx skier
02-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Here's the old style airguide on ebay.

Link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MASTERCRAFT-ANTIQUE-STYLE-AIRGUIDE-BOAT-SPEEDOMETER_W0QQitemZ200203108189QQcmdZViewItem?ha sh=item200203108189)

justinglow
02-26-2008, 06:13 PM
That one on e-bay has been on there for a little while. I think because it reads KPH instead of MPH. If you can get use to that it should be fine.

cbryan70
02-26-2008, 06:39 PM
I can get two of them. In bad shape and not sure if they work but if you want to restore them it might be worth a shot.

jimmer2880
02-27-2008, 07:34 PM
In the past, when I've done something like that with a hole-saw, I would screw a piece of plywood (like 1/4" thick) to the back of what I was trying to enlarge. Place your screws inside of what will be the new, larger hole

Then, drill a 1/4" hole in the dead-center of the plywood. Then, drill with your hole saw like you would normally.

DBR
02-27-2008, 08:04 PM
I would recommend a dremel tool or a roto-zip. Both have cutting bits for hard material. Just be careful and hold it tight, it has a tendancy to wander.

M-Funf
02-27-2008, 08:58 PM
I had to replace my old Airguides, too. They looked O.K, but the diaphragms were broken (I can hear the jokes coming now 8p ). The chrome housings were in good condition. I found two surface mount Sammy Duvall units on Fleabay. I mounted them in the original housings so it looks more original.

Pics...

drbesvold1
02-28-2008, 01:22 AM
ill be replacing the pito tubes here next month they are the new style im just hoping they will work with the old style speedometers

BrianM
02-28-2008, 09:29 AM
ill be replacing the pito tubes here next month they are the new style im just hoping they will work with the old style speedometers
They will work great and actually better than the originals. The old holes will not line up with the new pitots though. You will either need to fill the holes and redrill or make a simple plastic adapter plate.

pilot02
02-28-2008, 10:45 AM
I had to replace my old Airguides, too. They looked O.K, but the diaphragms were broken (I can hear the jokes coming now 8p ). The chrome housings were in good condition. I found two surface mount Sammy Duvall units on Fleabay. I mounted them in the original housings so it looks more original.

Pics...

WOW, Personally, I like the looks of the Sammy's! Great job!

mlay
02-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Once again the folks on this site amaze me with their comments and suggestions and willingness to help out a newbie.

Sorry I cannot post pics, since all mine seem to be above the file size limit. Any secrets, please share.

With all the suggestions I decided to mount the new speedometers in the old Airguide bell housing unit. With a little engineering on my part it turned out nice. Rough on the cuts but not noticable from the outside once assembled and eventually mounted. I will mount them on the boat next week when it comes back from upholstery.,

The old speedometers seem shot and probably not restorable, that being said, the cover lens (2) are in great condition with no marks or scratches. I know there is someone out there needing these to replace theirs or have a restoratin project in mind also.

I have no need for them now and will be glad to hand them over to the first reponse to this email. Like I said, I am still new to this but if you are interested, and the first reponder to this, I will exchange emails and gather the shipping address.

Hope someone has a need and I can help, I have gained so much from this site and would love to get these in the hands of someone who really needs them.

flipper
02-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Glad to hear the good outcome. Here's a link to show us....

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=23

mlay
02-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Again, that's the reason I love this forum, thanks Flipper! Here's the pics.

TRBenj
02-29-2008, 11:10 AM
The old speedometers seem shot and probably not restorable, that being said, the cover lens (2) are in great condition with no marks or scratches. I know there is someone out there needing these to replace theirs or have a restoratin project in mind also.

I have no need for them now and will be glad to hand them over to the first reponse to this email. Like I said, I am still new to this but if you are interested, and the first reponder to this, I will exchange emails and gather the shipping address.

The new speedos look great- what brand are they? I like the idea of keeping the housings.

I could definitely use the old faces and lenses for a few resto projects I have going on. If no one else has spoken for them yet, shoot me an email: TRBenj@gmail.com. Thanks!

mlay
02-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Your it, I will email you and get the address and ship them out. The ones I used for replacement were the Sahara gauges.

sethro
03-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Mlay,

Where did you find the Teleflex Sahara speedo in 50mph? Every gauge I've searched is higher speed, and thus showing basically nothing in the 15-20 mph range. I've also searched the Sahara line specifically, and haven't come up with what you are showing in your pic.

Thanks

mlay
03-04-2008, 01:21 PM
I searched extensively also and all I found were 0- 65mph. I decided to call my local marine dealer and tell him I wanted the 50mph ones and he just ordered them, not sure from where but I had them in approx 4 days. Their link is
http://www.stingrayboats.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap?user=www&script=web4dealer.pl&tyr=138873645

TMCNo1
03-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Again, that's the reason I love this forum, thanks Flipper! Here's the pics.

Is there a way to calibrate them like a Airguide?

mlay
03-04-2008, 03:19 PM
sorry, that's the downfall on this type, no calibration.

TMCNo1
03-04-2008, 03:20 PM
sorry, that's the downfall on this type, no calibration.

Thanks, just wondering! I didn't see a way, but asked anyway!