PDA

View Full Version : future x-2 owner has a few questions about taking apart the tower

brucemac
02-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi all. I have a few questions and am hoping you can help.

Before I ask, I should point out that I've searched and read every thread I could find on hear with regards to garage height, etc.

We're planning on buying an 06-08 X-2 before this time next year and have some garage issues. We have the length no problem (22ft 7 inches), but our header is right at 7ft (if I remove the two pieces of molding). With molding we're just shy of 83in.

The dealer is hopefully going to bring his 07 x-2 up to see if it we can sqeeze it in, but what I'm wondering is if for some reason it just won't go or my wife has a fit about the molding, exactly how difficult is it to remove those back legs? Would that get me what I need? Can someone give me an idea of how long it would take and what tools are necessary? Can one person do it? Also, does it pose any uncessary wear and tear that would harm the boat over time; i.e., stripping screws, nuts, weakening the tower, etc?

The other thing I was trying to figure out was if having the driveway slope uphill into the garage (street is lower than garage) would help me or hurt me? It's not drastic, probably like 15 degrees. On the X-2, I'm guessing it may not really matter since on a dual axle trailer the rear support is directly above the wheels. Is this correct? In case it matters, I live in the Seattle area, so it would be a Boat Mate Trailer I believe and not a OEM Mastercraft.

I'm very hesitant about the whole tire pressure deal as the trailer will have to be backed in and turned to hit the opening.

I would obviously try the drop hitch idea as well, but again, just not sure if it will get me what I need and wondering if it would scrape the driveway when I go to back in and hit the grade of the driveway?

If I can't the X-2 in, I'll probably look at the X-1, but we really like the roominess and and additional storage of the X-2.

One more request, if you reply with a similar situation and/or solution, can you please detail your garage height, whether it's a 06 or 07+ x-2 and comment on the slope if any of your driveway?

I'll also add, I'm not crazy about raising the header. Brand new house and not only would I have to get buy off from the wife, but I'd have to get approval from the homeowner's association, etc. PITA, not to mention the cost.

If it's only a 10-15 minute job on those rear supports and I could do it myself without hurting the boat, I could live with that.

Thanks in advance for any advice comments and for reading this thread.

bruce

Roonie's
02-26-2008, 02:28 PM
removing the legs everytime would be a real pain but doable. They are held on by two big turn knobs and you have to undo one set anyways to lower the tower. The uphill driveway is going to hurt your situation as it will make the tower a little higher then if it was downhill so more fitting problems into the garage.

I have an 07 X2 and my garage is 8' so no clearance issues and a flat driveway. The only problem I have is a sharp turn to get into garage.

The high point on the tower is the back as shown in this picture when folded.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/garage1.jpg

Maristar210
02-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Hey Bruce Welcome!!!!

I echo what Roonies states above. I have resorted to dropping the tire pressure to 20# or so to clear mine and I need to make sure it has more than a 1/2 tank of gas. I have a couple war wounds to prove otherwise on the garage entry. Mine measures 83-3/4. It clears by a 1/4 inch if I make sure I do all of the above first. If the tank is empty and the tires are full of air it simply won't fit. I have also resorted to leaving people and coolers in the boat to get it to fit. Not fun but true.

Aaaaah boating life!!!!

Good luck to you. Each garage / boat combo is a little different so having them come out is best.

Steve

Maristar210
02-26-2008, 02:40 PM
By the way we need pictures!!!!

brucemac
02-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas. So Roonie how long would you say it would take if you had to guess? How about wear and tear? So then a drop hitch would have to be used to raise the bow and I'm guessing since the driveway slopes, it may not do any good at all then. I'm very hesitant about the tire pressure trick as I would have to lower the pressure in the street and then back in and turn. My driveway is pretty short and my rig would be blocking the street if I had to do it in the driveway with a straight shot all lined up. I'd also be nervous about popping the seal on the tire, etc. By the way what type of compressor do you use to reinflate? I know decent one's aren't cheap. I hope I can make this work. :( I already have to monky with my current setup, remove tower speakers, etc, so a little work isn't going to be a dealkiller, I just don't want to spend more than say 30 minutes or so removing the platform and messing with the tower. Any better luck with an 06?

flipper
02-26-2008, 03:05 PM
I think I would lower the trailer if possible first. If scraping the the back of the trailer is an issue, put some caster wheels on the prop guard. Seems like most trailers have the room to be lowered. Then you don't have to worry about taking parts off, or air up and down the tires.

Chief
02-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi all. I have a few questions and am hoping you can help.

Before I ask, I should point out that I've searched and read every thread I could find on hear with regards to garage height, etc.

We're planning on buying an 06-08 X-2 before this time next year and have some garage issues. We have the length no problem (22ft 7 inches), but our header is right at 7ft (if I remove the two pieces of molding). With molding we're just shy of 83in.

The dealer is hopefully going to bring his 07 x-2 up to see if it we can sqeeze it in, but what I'm wondering is if for some reason it just won't go or my wife has a fit about the molding, exactly how difficult is it to remove those back legs? Would that get me what I need? Can someone give me an idea of how long it would take and what tools are necessary? Can one person do it? Also, does it pose any uncessary wear and tear that would harm the boat over time; i.e., stripping screws, nuts, weakening the tower, etc?

The other thing I was trying to figure out was if having the driveway slope uphill into the garage (street is lower than garage) would help me or hurt me? It's not drastic, probably like 15 degrees. On the X-2, I'm guessing it may not really matter since on a dual axle trailer the rear support is directly above the wheels. Is this correct? In case it matters, I live in the Seattle area, so it would be a Boat Mate Trailer I believe and not a OEM Mastercraft.

I'm very hesitant about the whole tire pressure deal as the trailer will have to be backed in and turned to hit the opening.

I would obviously try the drop hitch idea as well, but again, just not sure if it will get me what I need and wondering if it would scrape the driveway when I go to back in and hit the grade of the driveway?

If I can't the X-2 in, I'll probably look at the X-1, but we really like the roominess and and additional storage of the X-2.

One more request, if you reply with a similar situation and/or solution, can you please detail your garage height, whether it's a 06 or 07+ x-2 and comment on the slope if any of your driveway?

I'll also add, I'm not crazy about raising the header. Brand new house and not only would I have to get buy off from the wife, but I'd have to get approval from the homeowner's association, etc. PITA, not to mention the cost.

If it's only a 10-15 minute job on those rear supports and I could do it myself without hurting the boat, I could live with that.

Thanks in advance for any advice comments and for reading this thread.

bruce

I have a 7 foot header also and I have to disconnect the legs and turn the right wakeboard rack facing inward, remove the seat over the sub and slide tower to left and let leg sit where sub is and the left leg hangs over the boat protected by towels to prevent scratching from the wakeboard rack(facing out) on the right side. I use a strap connecting the right rack to the pylon to prevent the tower from sliding too far to the left.

I have a 06 Maristar 200VRS with the older tower so thats how I have to do it. Once you get a system worked out it will become like second nature, but until then you will get frustrated.

Hope this helps.

Roonie's
02-26-2008, 06:31 PM
So Roonie how long would you say it would take if you had to guess? How about wear and tear?

It takes me one person to lower the tower literally maybe a minute. It is really easy to do and designed to take down easy and fast. If I was to disconnect the back assembly completely it would take maybe two minutes at the most would be my guess. The platform literally takes 10 seconds to take off. Not a problem for most folks but for me I like it ready to go almost when I pull it out of the garage.

The only problem I could forsee is the threads on the the bolts that come out to take down. I know on mine I always go really slow re-threading the bolts because I can see how easy it would be to strip them. A couple of times the bolts have come stuck and I have resorted to getting a pliers to unscrew them which is tricky since the bolts are double threaded so the knob screws right on and it is delicate work not to screw up the threads with pliers trying to extract the bolt. This would be the only wear and tear issue other then making sure your vinyl doesn't rip with a completely loose tower. The tower is made to fold down so no wear and tear there.

Roonie's
02-26-2008, 06:34 PM
If scraping the the back of the trailer is an issue, put some caster wheels on the prop guard.

All new trailers (the range he is looking at 06-08) come with caster wheels on the prop guard.

mikeb51
02-26-2008, 08:09 PM
If you don't mind the hastle of breaking the tower down and risking damaging the boat or trailor when backing it into the garage then go for it. I bought a 2007 X-2 with four JL Audio tower speakers with lights, a back light, and tower braces. Needless to say, the tower is very heavy to take down alone. And it still wouldn't clear the top of the garage. So, I would have had to completely take the back half of the tower off the boat. Not to mention trying to turn the boat with a tandem axle isn't easy. My garage is not facing forward. It is on the side like yours. But does have the folding tongue. But that was the least of my worries. So, I gave up and stuck it outside with a huge tarp with locks all over the trailor. GOOD LUCK. Hope you can get it in there.

brucemac
02-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Thanks again for the replies guys. Sounds like it's simply a matter of willl--if there's a will, there's a way, so to speak.

Roonie one more question. The bolts you describe are replaceable right? Nothing machined in or gel-coated in that could strip right? In other words, if I did end up borking a bolt, I could simply buy a couple spares and have them on hand right?

T Scott
02-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Just get a running start.....it'll fit! 8p :D

Roonie's
02-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Coorrect except the threads are integral to the tower. Here is a pic of the bolt I speak of that holds the tower together. The black knob is just screwed onto the double threaded bolt. This is all you have to remove to take off the back of the tower completely.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0070-1.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0071-1.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0069.jpg

sand2snow22
02-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Roonie, if you want to keep the tower off the vinyl, screw a bike hook into a stud in the ceiling. Take a link from your ski or surf rope and attach the link to the hook and to the tow part of the tower. This way your tower is hanging basically hanging from the ceiling. Yours is probably fine, but I'm paranoid. Years of that heavy tower resting on the vinyl and foam could leave a mark?

Roonie's
02-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Roonie, if you want to keep the tower off the vinyl, screw a bike hook into a stud in the ceiling. Take a link from your ski or surf rope and attach the link to the hook and to the tow part of the tower. This way your tower is hanging basically hanging from the ceiling. Yours is probably fine, but I'm paranoid. Years of that heavy tower resting on the vinyl and foam could leave a mark?

One of my to do projects......You can't see it but I have a 1 x 8 about 5' long under the tower to transfer the weight of the tower to a larger footprint so it doesn't indent my vinyl. Even so it still indents it some so I am planning on hanging it. I don't want an indent to be permanent.

brucemac
02-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks again Roonie and for all the other replies.

Am I missing something? This doesn't look like that big of a deal, unless I'm overlooking something. From the pics and what you've said, I've got to unscrew two of those knobs anyway just to fold the tower down right? to completely remove the back legs, all I've got to do is simply remove two more, one on each side, right? If so, then what then becomes the tallest point in the boat? The windshield or the front part of the tower? Any guess what that gets me down to?

Roonie's
02-27-2008, 10:13 AM
No, your right about the easiness of it and yes just two more knobs to unscrew on the back for the tower to be free. The problem comes into play the weight of the tower. It is definately a two person job once it is free. Add speakers or anything else and it starts to get heavy!

You should have no problems clearing a 7' door once the back tower is free. The next highest point is either the windshield or the front tower legs and by a simple measure off the floor I am reading around 82-83 inches.

Chief
02-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Here's how store the tower.

brucemac
02-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Cool, that's what I was wondering. No biggy I guess. My wife and I could simply pull it off and set it down before we back in. I'm hopeful, I'll be able to raise the tower back up once in the garage. Our ceilings are vaulted inside so the front part of the tower just has to clear the top of the garage door when it's up and we'll be in good shape. If not, no big deal, I just really want this to work out and I was afraid the back part of the tower was going to be a dealbreaker. Thanks again everybody and especially to you Roonie for the pics and all the replies. It's much appreciated. I'll definitey have the dealer bring one buy to be sure, but this puts my mind at ease quite a bit.

sand2snow22
02-27-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm hopeful, I'll be able to raise the tower back up once in the garage.

For me it's easier to raise the tower up than to take it down!

ShamrockIV
02-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Just get a running start.....it'll fit! 8p :D

if it does not fit, spit on it!!!!