PDA

View Full Version : Pin Hole Leak

WetSoundzX7
02-25-2008, 10:46 PM
What is the best method for patching a pin hole leak and a 1 inch chip in the fiberglass of a boat?
Body Shop?
How much will this cost?
How fast does a pin hole leak actually leak?

88 PS190
02-25-2008, 10:58 PM
pin hole leak in the hull? It is pretty much impossible to get a pinhole through fiberglass. Is this 1" from a very strong impact?

you want a good fiberglass guy who specializes in fiberglass work.

I've never heard of such a thing as a pinhole fiberglass leak, with out surrounding damage.

WetSoundzX7
02-25-2008, 11:00 PM
a screw went through from the inside of the hull to the out..audio guy drilled through while mounting amp...very small hole but it chipped the fiberglass around the edges of the hole where screw went through

88 PS190
02-25-2008, 11:16 PM
ah that makes sense.

For cosmetic repair you still want a fiberglass guy who knows his stuff to match up that gelcoat and get it smooth, even and hidden. I'd imagine the audio will need to be removed to gain access, then the fiberglass should be patched, and gel coat applied.

Your audio guy should be paying for it, I would avoid drilling into the hull for mounting audio. Mount it to panels and save the glass.

WetSoundzX7
02-25-2008, 11:22 PM
yeah...the audio guy happened to be my buddy who has experience with marine audio but it may be hard to get $$ out of him. haha but for now is ok to use the boat a few times before i get it repaired or will it further the damage.

We did the same thing on his 209 an it was fine but i guess it was different for a x7 fiberglass depth

88 PS190
02-25-2008, 11:34 PM
if you need to use it, i'd take some clear silicone sealant, and pack the hole, it won't be very visible, and it'll keep that moisture out of the hull.

I would still pay a pro, but if you wanted to repair it yourself, grind out the hole on the inside a bit, pack it with fiberglass that's been saturated with some resin/hardener. push it smooth with saran wrap to a clean surface and let harden. Go to the outside, open up the hole a bit and rough it up, fill with gelcoat, cover with saran to get it smooth again, then sand it smooth, polish it to a super mirror finish... Shazam!

WetSoundzX7
02-25-2008, 11:42 PM
thanks a ton man....i have already packed it with marine or automotive "goop" that will keep the holes water tight until i can get it to the shop on wednesday