PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Tubes

russlars
02-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Okay, I know that no one likes to admit it, but I am going to take a chance and admit that "occasionally" I pull people on tubes with my MC.:o Here's the question for those of you willing to admit to it also. Where do you tow from? I feel safest pulling from the pylon, especially when I am pulling (I can't believe that I am admitting to this) 2 or more tubes. Is it safe pulling from the center transom hook or is there a potential for causing damage to the fiberglass? I never pull tubes from my tower!:eek: It just seems like too much stress on it. I would prefer to pull them from the transom so people can sit in the rear seat, however, it seems like the rope is so low to the water that it often gets caught in the wake on turns, which causes the tube to slow down and create slack in the tow line and unpredictable tube movements. What is the consensus on this?

P.S. I would never pull a tube and mess up smooth water!:smile:

loeweb
02-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Is creating slack in the line a problem or the goal when pulling a tube? To me the driver is entitled to just as much fun as the rider.

bigmac
02-25-2008, 08:20 PM
I never pull tubes from the pylon...always from the towing eye on the transom. Better whip from there, as opposed to the pylon, which is at the center of the boat.

ShamrockIV
02-25-2008, 08:23 PM
i use the pylon and or the tower!!!
why be ashamed??? i got kids u know!!

flipper
02-25-2008, 08:25 PM
I never pull tubes from the pylon...always from the towing eye on the transom. Better whip from there, as opposed to the pylon, which is at the center of the boat.

I agree. With the rope on the transom you can have people in the back seat, plus imo you get a better whip. I wouldn't worry about hurting the boat at all.....

Man, I feel like that was a confession!!! :D

russlars
02-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Is creating slack in the line a problem or the goal when pulling a tube? To me the driver is entitled to just as much fun as the rider.
What I have found is that when you get too much slack, that the tube will rotate and give a quick jerk to the rider, which often sends them off the tube. Not such a bad thing, unless you have someone on there that doesn't want to get thrown off! This seldom happens when pulling from the pylon.

vogelm1
02-25-2008, 08:31 PM
For kids the tower works great...it keeps the rope up off the water and prevents them from getting spray in their face, plus the tube planes off quicker with the high pull point. With as much as they weigh there are really no issues, especially considering we barefoot and wakeboard off a tower - that has to put a fair amount of strain on things.

Adults and teenagers I use the rear tow eye just to keep the rope out of the boat and allow more room for passengers.

JohnnyB
02-25-2008, 08:32 PM
The title led me to believe this was a discussion for 4:20 :headbang:

Doug G
02-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Tow eye on transom for us. We call it extreme tubing. The whip (along with the 30 + mph) is a vital part of making the teenagers skip across the water like skipping a rock. :D

SkiDog
02-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Where the hell is toober tom when you need him?!:D

Hillbillytoober
02-25-2008, 10:03 PM
We pull them thar toobs from the tower. We hads some problims last seesun with da tower pullin apart. Seems the wooden tower wuddnt made fer that kinda stress. After we's put sum more screws in da tower it aint' been a problum

wakolman
02-25-2008, 10:10 PM
The title led me to believe this was a discussion for 4:20 :headbang:

HA HA. That is funny.

I only know because I had roomates in college who hung out with the green guys.

I never pull tubes from my tower!:eek: It just seems like too much stress on it.

I think you are referring to the lateral force put on the tower when the tube swings wide and/or the boat turns sharply and changes course. Barefooting and wakeboarding off the tower is what they are built for, but I wouldn't pull a tube from the tower.

Toober Tom
02-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Finally somebody starts a thread I can relate to.

I say tie that toob off to anything you can find!

ss4000+
02-25-2008, 10:48 PM
pontoon boat or io works great!!

03 35th Anniversary
02-25-2008, 11:36 PM
My 197 doesn't have a place to tie to in the rear....

So I just tie who ever the trash talker is to the tower and introduce him to the S/C.....

Can't through me, my a$$

JBaker
02-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Wasn't there already a thread on this?? I seem to remember Tex insisting that a tube could not put more stress on a tower than an edging wakeboarder.

flatcher
02-25-2008, 11:59 PM
I have a four person tube from SportsStuff and we pull 4 teenagers at a time from the tower with ballasts full for major air. We actually can clear the wake one we get a good swing going back and forth!!

JoshBuzz
02-26-2008, 12:54 AM
We never pull toobs, I don't know what any of y'all are talking about...

:D

damaged442
02-26-2008, 06:37 AM
Isn't there a 12 step program for this?

We use the transom hook in the rear. The tough part is, with the Tristar, we end up getting beat up in the boat as bad as they do on the tube! It gets hard to drive when your a$$ is two feet off the seat!

Lennyp04
02-26-2008, 07:01 AM
Tow eye on transom for us. We call it extreme tubing. The whip (along with the 30 + mph) is a vital part of making the teenagers skip across the water like skipping a rock. :D

That was a fun day....

Lenny- "Chris do you want the Helmet?"
Chris- "Yeah I think I should!"

Roonie's
02-26-2008, 09:27 AM
the transom tow eye for us too. I have used the pylon before but prefer the tow eye. Never the tower. Then again I am just towing young kids and going slow.

H20skeefreek
02-26-2008, 09:45 AM
I can't understand why people are afraid of pulling from the tower. I have an extended pylon that I almost exclusively use to tow toobers. There is NO WAY that a tube can cause more stress than a wakeboarder.

Muttley
02-26-2008, 10:48 AM
I can't understand why people are afraid of pulling from the tower. I have an extended pylon that I almost exclusively use to tow toobers. There is NO WAY that a tube can cause more stress than a wakeboarder.

On my last little Glastron I had an extended pylon. We never any problem wakeboarding. I tried a tube from it once. The tube went up and the nose dug in when it came down. The stress broke the bow cable and the leverage pulled the pylon out of the bottom of the boat. Fortunately no one was hurt.

Although I'm sure that today's towers and proper sleeve-over pylons would take the extra stress, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. After our near disaster, I won't be trying any more tubes from high places.

Monte
02-26-2008, 10:52 AM
The warning on the tube says specifically not to pull from the tower or extended pylon.

88 PS190
02-26-2008, 10:54 AM

tubes can definately overload a pylon, and yes, they can easily cause more pull than a wakeboarder.

When a tube flips and catches water in the cover it becomes a giant sea anchor capable of extreme loads. I have had them break tow lines several times, and i always use excessively overrated towropes since a lighter one zinged a passanger in the hand and almost broke it.

I have never seen a wakeboarder break a towline by edging... Have you? Maybe a handle, but those hollow carbon handles are delicate.

Additionally the issue with pylons is that you are not supposed to put alot of load on them at angles, boarders begin to edge and gain load approaching the wakes, there is no way to control a tube to not load outwards when you whip it, which is horizontal load on the pylon extended several feet, and not directly against the bow cable, which is bad.

On towers if they say not to use it don't.

I do pull tubes off the main pylon, I haven't used the rear tow eye.

hacker
02-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Looks like this expert tows from the back...

Ric
02-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Okay, I know that no one likes to admit it, but I am going to take a chance and admit that "occasionally" I pull people on tubes with my MC.:o Here's the question for those of you willing to admit to it also. Where do you tow from? I feel safest pulling from the pylon, especially when I am pulling (I can't believe that I am admitting to this) 2 or more tubes. Is it safe pulling from the center transom hook or is there a potential for causing damage to the fiberglass? I never pull tubes from my tower!:eek: It just seems like too much stress on it. I would prefer to pull them from the transom so people can sit in the rear seat, however, it seems like the rope is so low to the water that it often gets caught in the wake on turns, which causes the tube to slow down and create slack in the tow line and unpredictable tube movements. What is the consensus on this?

P.S. I would never pull a tube and mess up smooth water!:smile: I am an accomplished tubing driver:cool: Pull from the pylon and you'll have more control of the maneuvers which launch the tubers... pull from the back for max seating but steering the boat becomes a pain... (on a ski boat anyway...) pull from the tower for really good launching and seating and boat control.. watch out though, if you bury a tube during a turn while towing from the tower, you betta cut the throttle or you might swamp yer bote.

russlars
02-26-2008, 12:41 PM
tubes can definately overload a pylon, and yes, they can easily cause more pull than a wakeboarder.

When a tube flips and catches water in the cover it becomes a giant sea anchor capable of extreme loads. I have had them break tow lines several times, and i always use excessively overrated towropes since a lighter one zinged a passanger in the hand and almost broke it.

I have never seen a wakeboarder break a towline by edging... Have you? Maybe a handle, but those hollow carbon handles are delicate.

Additionally the issue with pylons is that you are not supposed to put alot of load on them at angles, boarders begin to edge and gain load approaching the wakes, there is no way to control a tube to not load outwards when you whip it, which is horizontal load on the pylon extended several feet, and not directly against the bow cable, which is bad.

On towers if they say not to use it don't.

I do pull tubes off the main pylon, I haven't used the rear tow eye.
Wow! I didn't think that so many people would actually admit to pulling tubes with their MC's! I will have to agree that after seeing some of the extreme tube flips and having covers rip and ropes break that tubes definitely put more potential stress on towers than boarding. When I had my MC tower installed on my '99 205 Prostar I asked the dealer what was okay to tow. He stated that 1 or 2 small tubes with small children would probably be okay, but definitely not adults in larger tubes. One of the reasons I asked the question about the transom tow point is that my previous boat (an IO) actually developed spider cracks in the gel coat around the rear tow hook, which I expect was from towing tubes, and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this occuring with their MC?

flipper
02-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Looks like this expert tows from the back...

That's funny

Roonie's
02-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Wow! I didn't think that so many people would actually admit to pulling tubes with their MC's! I will have to agree that after seeing some of the extreme tube flips and having covers rip and ropes break that tubes definitely put more potential stress on towers than boarding. When I had my MC tower installed on my '99 205 Prostar I asked the dealer what was okay to tow. He stated that 1 or 2 small tubes with small children would probably be okay, but definitely not adults in larger tubes. One of the reasons I asked the question about the transom tow point is that my previous boat (an IO) actually developed spider cracks in the gel coat around the rear tow hook, which I expect was from towing tubes, and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this occuring with their MC?

My dealer told me never from the tower and to use the transom eye for tubes.

uawaterskier
02-26-2008, 01:01 PM
its all fun and games until you sling your sisters boyfriend into a submerged log...whoops

Muttley
02-26-2008, 01:08 PM
:purplaugh :purplaugh Looks like this expert tows from the back...

Thanks, Hacker! You made my day! :purplaugh

TMCNo1
02-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Only our resident World Record Holder Toober, World Champion ProToobTourer, ProToober knows for sure. Well, maybe his hair stylist knows too!

russlars
02-28-2008, 12:01 PM
I will say this. I have seen more injuries on tubes (at least behind my boat) than I have seen on skis, boards, etc. Of course maybe that says something about the boat driver!:steering:

88 PS190
02-28-2008, 12:24 PM
One of the reasons I asked the question about the transom tow point is that my previous boat (an IO) actually developed spider cracks in the gel coat around the rear tow hook, which I expect was from towing tubes, and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this occuring with their MC?

Ever look behind the tow hook on your boat?

I have normally they are just a washer and a peice of plywood back there.

Transom tow eyes on a MC are MUCH more reinforced with a big aluminum plate to spread the load etc.

As far as loads from tubing. When I am about to crash skiing I throw the handle, I do not want to fall on the handle ever again, it hurts to get caught in it, bad.

When I tube if I'm getting tossed I try to grab anything I can, covers, handles, people etc.

Heck I tape, wear glove liners, and gloves for tubing! That's my full slalom glove set + tape. And when that tube gets snagged by me flailing around things happen.

As far as it being shameful, I don't think so, its only shameful when people tube and don't try skiing. If I had my way you only would get to tube after you've learned to ski and after you've taken a set.

Ric
02-28-2008, 12:29 PM
yes I have looked where the tow hook is attached and it seems like a couple of inches of transom in that area......

ShamrockIV
02-28-2008, 01:35 PM
tubing is alot like fat chicks!!!!! fun as h@ll as long as nobody sees u!!!!

hey and i have an excuse!!! look at my pics. see all those little girls. they need something to do!! well this year they want to wakeboard!!

Lennyp04
02-28-2008, 03:52 PM
The way I think we should look at the situation is and I know my crew does:

If the water is rideable for wakeboarding....then get out there and wakeboard....but if theres lotsa walleys around then break out the tube and have some fun! Or surf

bigmac
02-28-2008, 06:02 PM
The way I look at the situation:

The boat is for having fun on the water. As long as it's legal, safe, and not too crazy...it doesn't matter a hoot to me what the activity is.

TX.X-30 fan
02-28-2008, 06:47 PM

If the water is rideable for wakeboarding....then get out there and wakeboard....but if theres lotsa walleys around then break out the tube and have some fun! Or surf

I wish I had a crew!!! 31964 31964 31965

ProTour X9
02-28-2008, 06:54 PM

If theres walleyes around I'm goin fishing!!;) 8p :D

And...don't say crew:noface: