PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished!

M-Funf
02-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Working really gets in the way of my projects...

Finally finished our master bath reno yesterday:woohoo:

It took just under three months start to finish. I did everything myself with the exception of the plumbing behind the walls and under the floor...Oh, and I didn't cut the marble top :rolleyes:

It's so good to have it done!!!

M-Funf
02-25-2008, 05:33 PM
more..................

The white switch is just temporary until the final is signed off. It will be changed to a push button (old school) switch.

I'm probably going to change the trim work on the beadboard wainscot. I've got some better ideas. We really just needed to get it done and now I can change things over time...

milkmania
02-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Working really gets in the way of my projects...

Finally finished our master bath reno yesterday:woohoo:

It took just under three months start to finish. I did everything myself with the exception of the plumbing behind the walls and under the floor...Oh, and I didn't cut the marble top :rolleyes:

It's so good to have it done!!!

hey, looks good.......

now go back and edit your message, click the paperclip and hit insert all
and your pics will be displayed within the post, instead of attachments links;)

Sodar
02-25-2008, 05:40 PM
hey, looks good.......

Just did it for him!!

Looks Great!

M-Funf
02-25-2008, 05:40 PM
hey, looks good.......

Looks like somebody already did :confused:

SkiDog
02-25-2008, 05:43 PM
:) Great job there mystro!

flipper
02-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Looks nice. Bet your glad to have that over with.

M-Funf
02-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Looks nice. Bet your glad to have that over with.

:rolleyes: .

milkmania
02-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Looks like somebody already did :confused:

no worries
I just mentioned it because that kind of work needs exposure, and some people may just skip over the links......

Looks Great!

what time can you be here to start mine?:confused:

M-Funf
02-25-2008, 06:19 PM
what time can you be here to start mine?:confused:

I can build you a vanity, but it might be a bit expensive to ship 8p

SkiDog
02-25-2008, 06:22 PM
I can build you a vanity, but it might be a bit expensive to ship 8p
And he can give you a night on the town in the LIMO, but that too, may get expensive!:D

M-Funf
02-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Just did it for him!!

Thanks, Sodar...

I'm still trying to figure out the attachments thing...

Mag_Red
02-25-2008, 06:53 PM
looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now come on to Kentucky and help me get my little project finished!:D

skeeler
02-25-2008, 07:09 PM
looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now come on to Kentucky and help me get my little project finished!:D
I can wait untill you are done with his for mine. :D Looks great!

M-Funf
02-25-2008, 07:21 PM
This project started because my wife asked if I could add a second sink in the bathroom. It seems that I always needed to shave when she needed to brush her teeth...

But, there was no tile under the old vanity, so we'd have to extend the tile, but I couldn't find the same stuff...new floor...which when removed would probably tear up the backerboard...new backer board...and the tub was always pretty small...new tub...

We talked about it for months before we decided to gut the whole room and go "retro".

The tub was cast in 1909. It weighs in at just over 300#, and was a B**** to get up the stairs. It took three of us 3 shots of tequila each just to get the courage...

The vanity top is white Carrerra marble. The countertop people didn't have any remnants, so we had to buy a whole slab. The entire slab was 6' X 9'...it was huge...I'm picking up the other pieces this week. I had them cut into manageable sizes...2 each at 3'X4' and two each at 3'X3'.

I'm actually glad we did this. It also gave me a chance to clean up some of the knob and tube wiring in that part of the house, and to build a piece of furniture that I hadn't built before...

M-Funf
02-25-2008, 07:24 PM

Never been to Kentucky...:D

TX.X-30 fan
02-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Very nice work M-Funf, feels good to know your finished and that you did the work. Now let the compliments flow!!!!

Roonie's
02-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Very nice. Like the retro with modern touches look. We also have one of those tubs that we had refinished and have almost the exact same faucet on ours except in chrome. Those are heavy son of a guns. The marble is nice but can be slippery when wet!!!! We have marble in our master and our kids have taken many falls. Congrats.......

ncsone
02-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Looks like phenomenal work to me. Love that retro look.

ShamrockIV
02-25-2008, 08:29 PM
hey man u got any before pics?? my wife loves the after but wants to see the before!!

WTRSK1R
02-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Really nice work. It is always a nice sense of accomplishment when you are done.

Steve

suedv
02-25-2008, 09:35 PM
I REALLY like it. Nice work.

Doug G
02-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Looks really nice... you'll forgive me if I don't show my wife

CarlosCabanas
02-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Looks good... I will repeat.... would be cool to see before pics!!

carlos

Mag_Red
02-26-2008, 01:11 AM
What type of wood did you use to build the vanity????? Insides Birch with Cherry exteriors??? 3/4" sides?? 1/2"??? I need some drawings!:D

454Prostar190
02-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Nice work Jeff! Are those "Rohl" plumbing fixtures? Rick

M-Funf
02-26-2008, 11:25 AM
hey man u got any before pics?? my wife loves the after but wants to see the before!!

Not really good ones, but here's what I've got...

It wasn't really that bad, but it just didn't work with the rest of the house. That, and there was only one sink...so it begins.

The tub was a built in. 19" wide, 60" long (outside), and only about 13" deep. :( The vanity was HD special. Particle board. The ceramic tile was also HD. The toilet was a nice Kohler, so we kept it. Don't get me started on the light fixture :o

They had boxed in the back corners where the roof line comes down, and we thought it would really open up the space by tearing those out. And it really did help. Plus, the new tub is 67" long, so one wall needed to move anyway.

Yeah, it's pink :o

M-Funf
02-26-2008, 11:26 AM
more....................

M-Funf
02-26-2008, 11:29 AM
So, in that last picture, you can see why we bead blasted the lower pane of glass in the window. There was an abandoned school across the street (where my Grandmother used to teach 1st grade). They have now converted it into high-end condo's, and they look straight down at our house...here's a shot of the front of that building, and our view from the front of the house...

M-Funf
02-26-2008, 11:50 AM
What tye of wood did you use to build the vanity????? Insides Birch with Cherry exteriors??? 3/4" sides?? 1/2"??? I need some drawings!:D

Hey Mag,

It's made from phillipine mahogany, with Birch ply on the inside. Finished with 5-6 coats of poly.

I'm not sure I like the slides so much. I used the Accuride undermount slides, but they're a bit sticky. I may have to spend some more $$ and get the really good ones. That would require that I build new drawer boxes. :(

M-Funf
02-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Nice work Jeff! Are those "Rohl" plumbing fixtures? Rick

I wish...We really tried to find all the fixtures from one location and one manufacturer (so all the finishes matched) and try and talk them down on price, which worked. I talked with Rohl, but the price was going to be prohibitive (would have doubled the cost of the entire remodel :eek: )

The tub and vanity fixtures are from Nottingham Brass.

Originally, we started at the salvage yards looking at old Speakman mixer valves and the like to see if we could go with original fixtures. But the wife really wanted the bronze finish, and most old stuff was either brass, nickel, or chrome.

Mag_Red
02-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Hey Mag,

It's made from phillipine mahogany, with Birch ply on the inside. Finished with 5-6 coats of poly.

I'm not sure I like the slides so much. I used the Accuride undermount slides, but they're a bit sticky. I may have to spend some more $$ and get the really good ones. That would require that I build new drawer boxes. :(Just wondering......do you dovetail your drawer sides??? I haven't mastered that yet...need to get a jig, but my plywood sides are plenty strong for me and my abilities right now. I use 1/2" for the sides and back and 1/4" for the bottoms

sand2snow22
02-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Looks great!! I bet it's pretty rewarding! Those clawfoots are heavy. Had to take mine down from the second floor to get refinished, then back up once it was done. We have similar fixtures in brushed nickel. Expensive, but my favorite store in town:

http://www.rejuvenation.com/

M-Funf
02-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Just wondering......do you dovetail your drawer sides??? I haven't mastered that yet...need to get a jig, but my plywood sides are plenty strong for me and my abilities right now. I use 1/2" for the sides and back and 1/4" for the bottoms

I might have done that, but I only have a "cheap" dovetail jig, and my dovetails have not been very tight. The drawers are Maple, same as yours, with 1/2" sides and 1/2" bottom. I'll try to get a picture.

Once I'm back on my feet from this project, I'm going to take some time to learn to dovetail with a quality jig. I was thinking about a Leigh, but then learned about a "new" dovetail spline that looks pretty cool...

I may end up with both.

M-Funf
02-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Looks great!! I bet it's pretty rewarding! Those clawfoots are heavy. Had to take mine down from the second floor to get refinished, then back up once it was done. We have similar fixtures in brushed nickel. Expensive, but my favorite store in town:

http://www.rejuvenation.com/

They are a bit pricey, but I've spent money with them as well. Next time I'm in the NW, I'm going to have to stop in...

M-Funf
04-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Oh, I forgot to post the information on the Dovetail Spline Jig.

www.dovetailspline.com

My latest...Only 5 hours of scraping and sanding to get me to this :rolleyes: